Sign in to follow this  
Madame Squee

18 The Moon

l feel with this card the old lady has suddenly realised that her whole life has been an illusion.  She is not bad or mad, but  disillusioned at how her life had become. 

This may have brought her into a state of worry and anxiety, the bottle in her bag shows she took refuge in alcohol, which is another state of illusion.  The little black and white dog is showing that life is never all black or all white. We have to feel for her, we do not know what her life story has been, or why she found herself in this state. 

She holds a bag in the air, is she putting it into the trash bin, she has also let go of her trolley, is this indicating that she is ready to let go of the baggage she has been carrying for quite some time. The old lady now realises that she has become a laughing stock, enough is enough. 

The little owl on her shoulder tells me she has gained a semblance of wisdom, she will fight to help herself get back into the real world.

Oh the Moon is always a hard to read card for me. I drew it today as card of today, so I better try to work with it/on it.

The lady reminds me of my friends aunty who is quite old and finally getting dementia. Most of the time she is ok and in the here and now, but every so often her mind/brain drifts and she asks after long dead friends or family members. When she comes back, everything is fine as if the episode never happened.

I wonder if the lady in the card is in a similar state, but the last time she drifted back into another time, she did not find her way back into the here and now. She does not know her way round anymore because everything is so strange and new to her, so she gets confused, for her this is chaos because she remembers it to be so different. The kids and the woman that laugh at her think that the old lady is the one who is screwed up, because for them everything is just fine and normal and they don't understand that the old woman feels lost in a strange world.

And while the other people around her laugh, they don't know who the lady was before she got lost. With the nice necklace and the coat and hat, I think she had taste and used to wear expensive clothes when she was still in the here and now, she used to be somebody. If only she knew who.

I'm still pondering this version of the Moon card. I love the image and I get what Poppy has portrayed here but I always sit and think about each card.

The homeless here in America are often mentally ill. I think even if a person doesn't start out that way, homelessness could push someone over into it.  Poor diet, sleep deprivation from having to be hyper-vigilant and the police coming to move you somewhere else when you're trying to sleep as well as the derision and even coldness of members of the public, young and old alike, would make one a little crazy.

And then substance abuse also will make things even worse. Homeless people are sometimes addicts and alcoholics. The creatures crawling out of the river in the RWS image are very poignant in my mind. Alone in the cold and dark, with an addiction, there are definitely monsters that seem to hover around one and if you can't get your drug or alcohol, then the "snakes in your boots" will be out to get you. That term "snakes in his boots" is an old one from the 1800's and that's how they'd describe an alcoholic who has DT's. I've been through DT's myself and even though snakes weren't involved, there are plenty of other monsters that will visit in DT episodes.

I'm going to keep perusing this card. It's quite eloquent and gives me new sparks of intuition in readings.