Arabella

Mexican La Loteria

Arabella

Happy to have my La Loteria cards ready to use as oracle cards.

I bought them on a recent trip to Mexico. I had heard about them and wanted something authentic and particularly Mexican. They are used as a bingo type game and I was thrilled to see it being played in the Merida city square in the markets. The pictures are cute, simple, and colourful everyday things like birds, watermelon, a woman, the sun and moon. But there's also death, soldier, heart and mermaid which will be interesting when they come up in a reading.

You can get them everywhere but they are very flimsy and quite small, smaller than playing cards. I looked everywhere for a "gift boxed" set hoping they would be a bit more robust, but I didn't see anything like that anywhere.

So my 25 pesos (aud$2.50) got me the real thing from a kids shop so home I came.

They are so so flimsy, just thick paper really, so I set to thinking what to do.

So today I completed the project. What I did was glued them onto thicker card and got some protective plastic sleeves that are used for collectable cards.

Now while being a bit slippery they are quite thick and much better for shuffling.

I have seen two good websites with interpretations for each of the cards and I plan on doing my own.

On the back of the cards is a little phrase (in Spanish  :) ) that the "bingo" caller uses to call the cards. It's a bit like a riddle thjat you have to figure out to know what the card is. Some of the phrases are quite profound and deep so interweaving those and the other interpretations will serve as my "meanings".

I'll attach a picture if anyone is interested.

And if anyone has any experience in using these little pops of Mexican wisdom, let me know.

Mabel

Arabella,

This is so neat! Now I want some! Have you tried Googling different phrases to see if they have been used like this, "Divination and Lotería" or something. I have been wanting an oracle set. I wonder if these would work.  I speak some Spanish so this is very interesting to me.

Mabel

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Mabel

Just a quick glance and it does look like they are used in readings. There is some info online and YouTube videos.

Arabella

They are great aren't they, Mabel? The website that was suggested to me by my mentor DaniielJUK was https://lenormandquest.blogspot.com/p/mexican.html

It's got some great insight to the meanings, but some are very different to the words on the back of my cards. I found another webpage but can't remember where. It might have been on the site that has the protective sleeves now that I think about it. If I find the link I'll post it for you.

I speak a bit of Spanish and with the help of google translate I have a list of the riddles that are on the backs of my cards.

I did a interview spread with them and they are awesome. A bit fun and they say their strength is the everyday stuff.

I plan on writing up that spread on my journal thread right now so if you'd like to have a look you're welcome.

Mabel

Arabella, I will check that out. They seem very interesting. I found some sites too. They suggested house them like lenormand cards.

¡Que disfrute mucho!

Arabella

I'm starting to build up my keywords and meanings for these cards. I'm having good results with my readings lately so I want to build on that.

Because my cards have their acertijos (riddles) printed on the backs of the cards I wanted to get good translations for them. Lucky to have Mexican friends to help me out with this. There are different riddles in different areas of Mexico. I got mine in Merida in Yucatan state. Most of the riddles are different from the ones I've seen on the Internet.

So armed with my cards acertijos (translated correctly) I've been gaining meaning from them, looking at the card for the links and jotting down keywords. Each time I've done a reading I've added any keywords I've come up with as well.

It's time consuming, today I sat down to do it and four hours flew by. Wow! And I'm only up to card 17 out of 54.  :)

I've also looked at the two different websites interpretations to take anything I could from there to add. Not much but a few things.

Long slow process but I'm enjoying it and it sure gets you bonded with the cards.

Arabella

Well it's been a while since I posted here but I've been working with and working on my quirky little Mexicans. I love these cards. They are a great mix of sass and wisdom. I have done a couple of ROC readings with them and the response from the sitters has been good. I've done many readings for myself and I have to be honest and put my ego in a basket for a while because these guys don't pull their punches.

I have my keywords and meanings mostly completed but more little snippets come to light every reading.

There is not much available on the Internet for La Loteria cards so I have no choice but to interpret them intuitively, and that makes them that much more interesting. It also means I have to trust myself and the way I read. That is daunting in itself.

I am wondering if there is anyone who would like a reading with them. If so give me a thumbs up here and I'll open an exchange thread. I'd love to share these clever little cards with whoever is interested

A <3

Arabella

Seems I'm on my own with these cards?

Anyone have them and would like to discuss or exchange?

There's such limited info out there, but that's maybe a good thing. Not too much influence and a good way the flex that intuition.  :D

solarscorp

There's such limited info out there, but that's maybe a good thing. Not too much influence and a good way the flex that intuition.  :D

I actually never thought of la loteria being used as an oracle. I love la loteria, and am now interested in seeing if it does work. I do not own my own at the moment, but would love to get one eventually. Thanks for making this a topic, btw.

Arabella

I actually never thought of la loteria being used as an oracle. I love la loteria, and am now interested in seeing if it does work. I do not own my own at the moment, but would love to get one eventually. Thanks for making this a topic, btw.

Hi there Solaorsorp, looks like you're new so welcome to the forum. Yes they are great. I had heard of them before my first trip to Mexico (a very long way for me from Australia) so I was keen to get some and start working with them.

They never disappoint and are very good at straight answers.

Would you like a reading? Happy to put them to use for others.

A <3

Swift

The cards are beautiful. Arabella[/member], I would love a reading, if you are still interested in giving one. I will be happy to provide feedback or to do a tarot reading for you in exchange. Let me know what you prefer!

Arabella

The cards are beautiful. Arabella[/member], I would love a reading, if you are still interested in giving one. I will be happy to provide feedback or to do a tarot reading for you in exchange. Let me know what you prefer!

Hello Swift, yes they are so cute. The simple images conjure up some great intuitive messages and my keywords and meanings that Ive gathered over time is helping. Every new reading adds to that collection of keywords.

I'd love to read for you using my La Loteria cards. I'm going to start a thread in the oracle readings section so head over to there and let me know if you have a specific question. You'll see my other reading "rules" there as well.

Ooo I'm excited to do this.

A  <3

Arabella

solarscorp[/member] and Swift[/member] I have now set up a reading thread in the right section so we are good to go with exchanges. See you there :)