This is the DE-ENABLE thread concerning buying and reading of tarot.

Saturn Celeste

6 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

My friend, this is not only off topic but also against the rules. No selling or trading outside of the subscribers area. 

Oh, never fear. I'll do that as soon as I find the deck.

14 minutes ago, FLizarraga said:

Oh, never fear. I'll do that as soon as I find the deck.

Thank you ❤️

I now realized a good way to de-enable.

Just take out all your decks, spread them out somewhere, and look at them. Look at all the space they take, on a table, the bed, the couch, the floor. Notice all the space these decks take up. And then take a look, really notice all the decks you don't actually use. 

This should help. 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Just take out all your decks, spread them out somewhere, and look at them. Look at all the space they take, on a table, the bed, the couch, the floor. Notice all the space these decks take up. And then take a look, really notice all the decks you don't actually use. 

This should help. 

Absolutely! And put special emphasis on the ones you’ve been meaning to study or journal with ☺️ 

Warning: this method might cause immediate feelings of overwhelm, stress and deep anxiety 

i feel sick sigh GIF

@Joe. Hm..the problem is that that only gives me another argument for loving my decks; they can be really "big" if you spread it out but can easily be stored. 👍

So... if I don't buy other things such as lots of new clothes, old cars, new cars, lots of make up, hair coloring. I cut my hair by myself. I never go to restaurants. If the only thing I want to buy are books and decks, I'll keep on with that 😃

Katie

27 minutes ago, Katie said:

@Joe. Hm..the problem is that that only gives me another argument for loving my decks; they can be really "big" if you spread it out but can easily be stored. 👍

So... if I don't buy other things such as lots of new clothes, old cars, new cars, lots of make up, hair coloring. I cut my hair by myself. I never go to restaurants. If the only thing I want to buy are books and decks, I'll keep on with that 😃

Katie

Decks are a nest egg. If push comes to shove, you can flip the OOP ones for much more than you paid for them.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:05 PM, Joe said:

This should help. 

Not at all. On the contrary, when I do this (I had to recently) I then spend days drooling over them ALL, and hate putting them away, as I "miss them already".

2 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Decks are a nest egg. If push comes to shove, you can flip the OOP ones for much more than you paid for them.

That I will never do. And the daughter who inherits them won't either - she is determined to make sure they go to people who will value them as I do, even if she actually has to gift some of them. Which is what I would want, too. I love them too much to use them as cash.

56 minutes ago, Katie said:

Katie

👍

I don't cut my own hair and I just had lunch at a restaurant, but otherwise: my thoughts exactly 😃

6 minutes ago, katrinka said:

This is assuming that a person bought them before they went oop and not for ridiculous prices on amazon or eBay ☺️ (I know that you don’t but overpriced decks, but other people definitely do. 

I find that I’m sort of in the middle of what you @katrinka and you @gregory are saying. I do consider some of my decks as investments- even in a financial sense - but I still read with them all and rarely find myself capable of letting go of any decks except for the truly crappy ones I bought on impulse without much research. 

4 minutes ago, gregory said:

That I will never do. And the daughter who inherits them won't either - she is determined to make sure they go to people who will value them as I do, even if she actually has to gift some of them. Which is what I would want, too. I love them too much to use them as cash.

If push comes to shove, gregory.
IOW, situations like looming starvation and/or homelessness. I'd let a few go in order to keep body and soul together.

Also. I meant to say that I never get anxiety or guilty conscience for having too many decks or not liking my decks. I feel that way when I see how many amazing decks I have that are not getting the attention they deserve 😊

1 minute ago, katrinka said:

If push comes to shove, gregory.
IOW, situations like looming starvation and/or homelessness. I'd let a few go in order to keep body and soul together.

Not sure, honestly. I have a few rare books that could go, some ornaments, and the like. But I'm lucky - I realise - retired, home paid off, have not very good but above starvation pension....

Just now, Raggydoll said:

Also. I meant to say that I never get anxiety or guilty conscience for having too many decks or not liking my decks. I feel that way when I see how many amazing decks I have that are not getting the attention they deserve 😊

I agree, raggy.

2 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

This is assuming that a person bought them before they went oop and not for ridiculous prices on amazon or eBay ☺️ (I know that you don’t but overpriced decks, but other people definitely do. 

I've purchased a few OOP decks, but I won't pay more than about $100.
Even that is kind of ridiculous, considering that the older ones cost about $5 when they were new.
It's all about demand. I had a 19th century C.L. Wust Lenormand that I got for $40 when nobody cared about Lenormand. Then everybody piled on and prices went through the roof.
By that time I'd gifted the Wust to a friend. But she sent me an autographed Fantastic Menagerie, so it's All Good. No regrets! :)

Well, I for one was feeling a need for some "self-de-enabling", although the reply on here are usually quite good, that's what this thread is all about. So I did what I did, and even though I don't have this vast space requiring collection, it doid show me the amount of decks I have and don't use, and well, I felt that was enough. I was surprised the amount of space my sort of small collection took up. And, I also saw that I really don't use this or that deck. And I don't need the deck I was having a Jones for, or the other deck I was having a Jones for. So, I de-enabled myself. 

How do you de-enable yourself?

Or do you? 

Let's talk de-enabling.

I just don't buy decks that I REALLY don't like. Like some of those on gamecrafter. And I don't buy decks that are going to kill me when they hit UK customs.

But it is my big thing. I don't play golf, smoke, stay in fancy hotels, buy makeup or fancy clothes. We all have our single passion. I shall indulge when I can.

Which means I need to leave this thread. I will help (as I have done already) with individual decks - but this kind of general let's all stop with the consumerism thing is boring and not what his thread set out to do - I thought. Some of the best de-enabling posts I ever saw on AT were from Julia Cuccia-Watts de-enabling her own deck. They were priceless. "Let's all get GOOD" isn't fun at all.

THIS is what this thread was set up for:

On 7/20/2019 at 1:22 AM, katrinka said:

*sighs*
OK, you wanted harsh... :evil:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mythic/

The Magician looks like a guy at a festival pointing out the Port-O-Potties at the top of the hill.
The Empress belongs on a bottle of Herbal Essence, or maybe a 2-Pack of Summer's Eve. And she's got a castle on her head.

Is the Hierophant at a metal show? He's throwing the horned hand. Or maybe he's at a college football game: "Hook 'em, Horns!"
Poseidon has no need to hurl his trident at the Tower, as it's already being destroyed. But maybe it's actually a barbeque fork and he wants to get the meat out before it burns.
There must be a cop just out of the frame on the Ace of Swords. That girl is going through some kind of sobriety test: "Hold it up STRAIGHT. Now walk a straight line and say the alphabet backwards."
Two of Pents guy holds his tools aloft like drum sticks and wants to know if he looks like John Bonham.
The giant woman on the 7 of cups doesn't hear the tiny woman's prayers because she has to go to the bathroom so bad that she's holding her crotch - while ordering yet another drink.
The King of Wands - the guy we hired to tend the sheep has delusions of grandeur. And he's wearing his mom's patio dress, and I don't trust him with that tiki torch.  I told you we should have just gotten a Great Pyrenees and a couple of Border Collies.

Did that work? :grin:

AJ-ish/Sharyn

I agree. if de enabling posts are all going to get nitpicked, it is time to lock the thread. 

Or remove a bunch of posts. It is meant to be all in fun, and if people get prickly over it they shouldn't read the thread. 

Venus Rising

Thank you for saying that @gregory I feel the same way.    :bubble_bthumbsup: I'm still laughing at  @katrinka 's de-enabling. :lol:    

I've been going back through all the old de-enabling threads at AT the past few days.  They make me laugh so much.  

@Joe I am sorry I did go away from topic a bit there. Self-de-enabling comes naturally to me after some enabling. Actively, looking att youtube-vids to see that that deck I sooo "need" is not my cup of tea helps. Plus setting a maximum decklist of (appr) 10 decks. If I get a new one, I have to give one away (to a happy daughter). Spreading all decks out on the floor would certainly be a big turn-off on buying new decks so thanls for that Joe.

Katie

Hello tarot lovers! I think I need some clarity and maybe de-enabling. Or maybe a good laugh to lighten the tension. As many already know Baba Studios opened their pre-order for the Mythical Creatures tarot. Lord, I had been waiting for this for months. But... now that it's here I'm hesitating. I feel satisfied with the deck I have. I've received the new SKT Vitruvian Edition which I've yet to dig into, and also the Tarot of the Holy Light. These two are quite hefty. Then there's my other decks which I love and long to use. So I am hesitating to add another one to my collection. It is Baba Studios so great quality can be expected here. And definitely a collector's deck as well. So, what do ya'll think? Thoughts? Ay ay ay...

1 hour ago, 40knows said:

And definitely a collector's deck as well. 

Well this is the thing isn’t it? It will be gorgeous, you’ll rave about it when you get it and then you’ll get ‘collector’s angst’. The worry about its value and how expensive it will be to replace should anything happen to it, means it will sit on your shelf. You might take it out every now and then - just to remind yourself you have it (usually in response to someone sending out a DISO plea). Then it will go back on the shelf while you immerse yourself in the SKT and Holy Light...and try to still that niggling voice that you own a very expensive dust collector. 

9 minutes ago, Flaxen said:

...and try to still that niggling voice that you own a very expensive dust collector. 

Oh my goodness, that is hilarious. I laughed when I read it. And I've been thinking that I already have a deck that has similar vibes. I purchased a beautifully unique and fantastical rare italian art deck. The Fantarocco by Franco Anichini. I purchased it for around the same price when I factor in the shipping from Italy and it is so gorgeous, black and white with the minors in color, published by Modiano. It has a real similar feel with the touch of the fantastical, reminds me of Baron Munchausen's world. Oh goodness...

I already asked how long pre-order will be open so I have some time to let this stew but odds are not looking favorable I will get the deck. Plus there are overseas books I want to purchase more badly! Thank you for making me laugh.

2 hours ago, 40knows said:

Hello tarot lovers! I think I need some clarity and maybe de-enabling. Or maybe a good laugh to lighten the tension. As many already know Baba Studios opened their pre-order for the Mythical Creatures tarot. Lord, I had been waiting for this for months. But... now that it's here I'm hesitating. I feel satisfied with the deck I have. I've received the new SKT Vitruvian Edition which I've yet to dig into, and also the Tarot of the Holy Light. These two are quite hefty. Then there's my other decks which I love and long to use. So I am hesitating to add another one to my collection. It is Baba Studios so great quality can be expected here. And definitely a collector's deck as well. So, what do ya'll think? Thoughts? Ay ay ay...

I honestly think they should rename that deck to Mystical Conditions. Seriously - look at those pictures! Most of those creatures look like they are suffering from a condition rather than just being magical and proud of it. It’s only the fool that’s happy because he/she does not realize that their scaly skin and leafy upper body isn’t normal. All the others look genuinely disgruntled - especially that poor dragon who seem to have a really bad gum disease. And the Queen of coins who is a tree but has had to resort to exotic dancing to pay for her medical bills - just look at those nipple covers she forgot to remove from last nights show! The poor knight of swords does not only have alopecia and some sort of a rash but is also being attacked by owls!! And the Hanged man - wow, that is some seriously bad fungal infection on his feet! He seem to be in a lot of pain too 😞

All in all, if you want a really expensive deck with excellent cardstock to use on people with rare conditions (to lighten the mood or make them feel better represented in the reading) then maybe you have a winner. But seriously - those two decks you already have seem to appeal way more to you. So why let FOMO trick you into buying another one? I don’t think this deck will be a great reader either, but that’s just my personal opinion. It simply doesn’t feel very intuitive or evocative. 

I agree with Raggydoll.

I don't want to be mean, but that Fool card looks like feral dog with a mange problem. I don't know how anyone could read with those cards. 

Haha you are all too funny! And you're right, I mean the details are so intricately packed that I wonder if I will be able to see what I'm reading. And I don't have great eyesight! 😂

Hey, this preorder thing (or even more so with "kickstarters") I don't get it...isn't that to buy a pig in a poke? And that Fool's lips looks like it had some botox/fillers/allergic reaction/whatevah...

The decks you already have are of much higher class than this deck.

Katie

Edited by Katie