Saturn Celeste

This is the DE-ENABLE thread concerning buying and reading of tarot.

FLizarraga

I don't think we're supposed to discuss the Psycards here, as they are an oracle deck. But... I happen to love them.

Yes, the cardstock is crappy, the backs uninspired, and the borders... well, I trimmed them, and that's all I have to say about them. And it is true that the titles are kinda big. But the images are beautiful, and the book is excellent. I have done a few readings with them, and they blew me right out of the water.

Raggydoll
3 hours ago, FLizarraga said:

I don't think we're supposed to discuss the Psycards here, as they are an oracle deck. But... I happen to love them.

Yes, the cardstock is crappy, the backs uninspired, and the borders... well, I trimmed them, and that's all I have to say about them. And it is true that the titles are kinda big. But the images are beautiful, and the book is excellent. I have done a few readings with them, and they blew me right out of the water.

Any cards are welcome here - or better yet - UNWELCOME here 

The only thing that’s off topic here is positive comments. Lie or withhold information if you must - in the name of de-enabling everything is forgiven!!! 😈

excited jack nicholson GIF 

Decan
1 hour ago, Raggydoll said:

Yes, the cardstock is crappy, the backs uninspired, and the borders... well, I trimmed them, and that's all I have to say about them. And it is true that the titles are kinda big.

Ah!! 😈

1 hour ago, Raggydoll said:

Any cards are welcome here - or better yet - UNWELCOME here 

The only thing that’s off topic here is positive comments. Lie or withhold information if you must - in the name of de-enabling everything is forgiven!!! 😈

excited jack nicholson GIF 

Well, as you can see, I don't withhold any informations but let you know everything!!

To be honest I find this liberating somehow, well... terrible thread. Be careful guys when you come there!!!

bastetly

Ok the de-enabling of this deck below, will be obvious for some.  And there are others who are waiting patiently in line for it due out next Feb.  I was orig hypnotized by Le Fanu when he waxed on about this deck (I bought the Madenie on his recs).  But the more I look at the scans, the more I worry ... and I still kinda want it ...o PLEASE talk me out of it unless it's it's it's........

And also wondering if Anima Antiqua card finishes are the same as reg LS decks?

Tarot de Marseille, Conver 1760, Anima Antiqua LoS, Feb 2020.  http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/ancient-marseilles/

The Amazon reviews for the older Lo Scarabeo edition linked above, are mostly reviews for the Ancient Tarot of Lombardy!  which LS also reproduced.

Decan

conver10.jpg

It is probably this one?

Honestly I definitely see the back of the cards as an interesting pattern for a scarf!

Otherwise the box has a wooden effect and the cards look like mattish... but I never saw a deck by LS mattish, they all are highly laminated and shiny, so here with the wooden effect box... I just hope it won't be the same quality than the Visconti Modrone; I looked at a review in the past and the cards could be used as mirrors (and they said as well that they will use modern technology for a product really amazing, a premium card stock and all, well...).

Otherwise I also notice that colors are vivid (the red, but the green too, ugh it's not a nice green), it's not really consistent if it's to use modern technology to create a deck the same as it is, because colors are the first thing to fade a bit in my opinion, or if they want to restore everything why not a background and drawings/titles less tainted. It's wonky.

The pattern on the back looks like 1960 or so, no? Not 1760

I definitely would like this deck printed on toilet papers!

uno1.gif

Edited by Decan

katrinka
15 hours ago, Decan said:

Honestly I definitely see the back of the cards as an interesting pattern for a scarf!

Socks. I might wear socks like that.
If I wear boots, nobody can see the socks.

Otherwise the box has a wooden effect

Have you ever encountered warped plastic wall paneling? Or decrepit particleboard bathroom cabinets covered with a thin, peeling, vinyl adhesive veneer in a wood grain pattern? Maybe not, I would think that your country would not allow such things.
Fake wood is the calling card of a SLUMLORD. It conjures mental images of apartments and trailer parks where nothing ever gets fixed and nobody dares to flush the toilets lest they overflow and it soaks the flattened shag carpet in the next room.
"We live, not as we wish to, but as we can."
- Menander

Fake wood is something people live with when they have no choice in the matter.
You have a choice here. Get a better TdM.

and the cards look like mattish... but I never saw a deck by LS mattish, they all are highly laminated and shiny, so here with the wooden effect box... I just hope it won't be the same quality than the Visconti Modrone; I looked at a review in the past and the cards could be used as mirrors (and they said as well that they will use modern technology for a product really amazing, a premium card stock and all, well...).

Mirror, mirror, in the wall,

What's the worst TdM of all?

Checking lipstick on the fly,
Or removing something from your eye,
A pocket mirror is a better fit,
Because this deck is utter sh**.

Otherwise I also notice that colors are vivid (the red, but the green too, ugh it's not a nice green),

I normally love green - deep foresty shades, Art Deco era mints...but I agree. This kind of an Exorcist pea soup shade, with a touch of bile added for good measure.

it's not really consistent if it's to use modern technology to create a deck the same as it is, because colors are the first thing to fade a bit in my opinion, or if they want to restore everything why not a background and drawings/titles less tainted. It's wonky.

The pattern on the back looks like 1960 or so, no? Not 1760

That era is famous for questionable taste. https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2009/02/15/the-icky-era-of-aspic/

I'm not sure what happened. I blame doctors prescribing a little too freely.

I definitely would like this deck printed on toilet papers!

uno1.gif

Not me. That deck is NOT touching my nether regions.

giphy.gif

Edited by katrinka

bastetly

I get it, I know what you mean Decan!  BTW that's how I felt about the Mdme Clara deck 😄  So the colors on this Conver wd set most peoples teeth on edge granted (perfect gify!), and I find the yellow to be the most obnoxious.  But at least it has the lighter blue which the Grimaud TdM has removed, and all the colors seem to compete for attention.  I like it, I hate it, I want it, I don't.  The backs are f-ugly agreed...  So LS screwed up on the Madrone w a mirror finish eh?  FOOLS!  Yea, not sure how they laminate the Anima Antiquas, but if it's glossy like what happened to the Ancient Italian, I may pass...  If the Suzanne Bernardin was available I wd go for that bc there's a similarity, but hers is more refined.  

Not sure this is a restoration, but more of an exact copy.  I see katrinka has just responded.  This should be good as well (ducking for cover...)

FLizarraga
49 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Socks. I might wear socks like that.
If I wear boots, nobody can see the socks.

Have you ever encountered warped plastic wall paneling? Or decrepit particleboard bathroom cabinets covered with a thin, peeling, vinyl adhesive veneer in a wood grain pattern? Maybe not, I would think that your country would not allow such things.
Fake wood is the calling card of a SLUMLORD. It conjures mental images of apartments and trailer parks where nothing ever gets fixed and nobody dares to flush the toilets lest they overflow and it soaks the flattened shag carpet in the next room.
"We live, not as we wish to, but as we can."
- Menander

Fake wood something people live with when they have no choice in the matter.
You have a choice here. Get a better TdM.

Mirror, mirror, in the wall,

What's the worst TdM of all?

Checking lipstick on the fly,
Or removing something from your eye,
A pocket mirror is a better fit,
Because this deck is utter sh**.

I normally love green - deep foresty shades, Art Deco era mints...but I agree. This kind of an Exorcist pea soup shade, with a touch of bile added for good measure.

That era is famous for questionable taste. https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2009/02/15/the-icky-era-of-aspic/

I'm not sure what happened. I blame doctors prescribing a little too freely.

Not me. That deck is NOT touching my nether regions.

giphy.gif

Aren't you guys going too far with this? Bette Davis Lol GIF by O&O, Inc

bastetly

Look, I KNOW this is all Le Fanu's FAULT.  His blog posts were like a wurrrmmm that got into my head.  I have to like it bc HE DID.  He REALLY loves this deck!!!  He loved it bc it was so repulsive!  So it must be Good.  O help... The $ needs to go to an historical study deck.  I bought the Madenie when he posted on it (I still haven't warmed to it...) and the Lilac/Cherry too.  Has no one else? has this problem w his old blog???  🤣🤣🤣

katrinka
38 minutes ago, FLizarraga said:

Aren't you guys going too far with this? Bette Davis Lol GIF by O&O, Inc

We aim to please.

tenor.gif?itemid=9124282

FLizarraga
1 minute ago, katrinka said:

We aim to please.

tenor.gif?itemid=9124282

Ah, katrinka. I love every time to respond to one of my Davis quotes with another. Almost as much as I love Bette Davis, warts and all --and oh, what warts, God Almighty!

40 minutes ago, bastetly said:

Look, I KNOW this is all Le Fanu's FAULT.  His blog posts were like a wurrrmmm that got into my head.  I have to like it bc HE DID.  He REALLY loves this deck!!!  He loved it bc it was so repulsive!  So it must be Good.  O help... The $ needs to go to an historical study deck.  I bought the Madenie when he posted on it (I still haven't warmed to it...) and the Lilac/Cherry too.  Has no one else? has this problem w his old blog???  🤣🤣🤣

He did it to me with the Destroyed Dondorf. The pictures he posted were so beautiful, I had them for years as my desktop background. And then of course Tag came along and printed it on that succulent cardstock of hers. Well, OF COURSE I had to have it! So, in the end, I have both the destroyed and the restored versions of the Lilac Dondorf, and years later I have never read with either of them. NOT ONCE.

katrinka
5 minutes ago, FLizarraga said:

Ah, katrinka. I love every time to respond to one of my Davis quotes with another. Almost as much as I love Bette Davis, warts and all --and oh, what warts, God Almighty!

You call them warts, I call them spiked armor and brass knucks for going toe to toe with people like Jack Warner and Joan Crawford.

5 minutes ago, FLizarraga said:

He did it to me with the Destroyed Dondorf. The pictures he posted were so beautiful, I had them for years as my desktop background. And then of course Tag came along and printed it on that succulent cardstock of hers. Well, OF COURSE I had to have it! So, in the end, I have both the destroyed and the restored versions of the Lilac Dondorf, and years later I have never read with either of them. NOT ONCE.

How do you manage to keep your hands off of them?

giphy.gif

Sorry, that wasn't a de enable. Back to our regularly scheduled programming: Everything sucks and is full of FAIL.

bastetly
3 hours ago, FLizarraga said:

Yea, I looked at both of those for a loooong time.  And the original Russian Lilac obsessed me.  I actually found a re-make of that one!  I've got an idea now...  maybe I should use the Conver as a desktop background as well.  That should cure me!  Or MAYBE as my background profile pic on HERE, for all de fans ....bwahahahahahaha  esp grumpy  Bette  errr   katrinka  bette davis GIF

Edited by bastetly

katrinka
1 hour ago, bastetly said:

Yea, I looked at both of those for a loooong time.  And the original Russian Lilac obsessed me.  I actually found a re-make of that one!  I've got an idea now...  maybe I should use the Conver as a desktop background as well.  That should cure me!  Or MAYBE as my background profile pic on HERE, for all de fans ....bwahahahahahaha  esp grumpy  Bette  errr   katrinka  bette davis GIF

Hmmmm....?

giphy.gif

No harm, no foul.

id-like-to-kiss-ya-gif.gif?w=560

Again, back on topic. But Bette DID nail the feeling that I get from all these decks being discussed - not a good fit to be seen!

Katie

I am fussy about card stock and now that I have 15-20 decks I see that Lo Scarabeo is NOT my cup of tea. I mean, they are not a cathasptrophy but they are never "wow" to me. Us games has it. Lo Scarabeo is a NO BUY for me....

Katie

katrinka
2 minutes ago, Katie said:

I am fussy about card stock and now that I have 15-20 decks I see that Lo Scarabeo is NOT my cup of tea. I mean, they are not a cathasptrophy but they are never "wow" to me. Us games has it. Lo Scarabeo is a NO BUY for me....

Katie

There's a lot of variation in their stock. Their "Everyday Oracle" (actually a Vera Sibilla) has wonderful stock that reminds me of soft leather.
But every deck doesn't get that. I avoid them, as a rule - too much of a crapshoot.

bastetly
13 hours ago, katrinka said:

There's a lot of variation in their stock. Their "Everyday Oracle" (actually a Vera Sibilla) has wonderful stock that reminds me of soft leather.
But every deck doesn't get that. I avoid them, as a rule - too much of a crapshoot.

I have been asking about the cardstock of the Anima Antiqua.  @katrinka, didn't you purchase the Tarot Egyptiene (Princesses)?  

Katie

A bit late post here..but...scarfes!!

20190902_200140.jpg.54f5cd0e43f7efa859a8b8973c56d85d.jpg

katrinka
9 minutes ago, bastetly said:

I have been asking about the cardstock of the Anima Antiqua.  @katrinka, didn't you purchase the Tarot Egyptiene (Princesses)?  

???

bastetly

Well, I think I've de-enabled myself fm the re-issue of the AA LoS Conver 1760 by reading a review of another deck issued under the Anima Antiqua label.  They said the cardstock was flimsy, plasticky and would've been better if Grimaud had done it.  I experienced a similar feeling w the Ancient Italian also by Lo Scarabeo.  Deleted fm the WL and moving on!  These days that is a better feeling than adding yet another.  Yea! for the De-enable thread, and thank you friends for not hiding your disgust.  It really does help, when ones taste is floundering 🙂

katrinka
16 hours ago, bastetly said:

Well, I think I've de-enabled myself fm the re-issue of the AA LoS Conver 1760 by reading a review of another deck issued under the Anima Antiqua label.  They said the cardstock was flimsy, plasticky and would've been better if Grimaud had done it.

The old Grimaud stock is wonderful. It's the reason you see so many of their old decks for sale on ebay - these decks survive.

But back to de enabling, the current stock (France Cartes, née Grimaud) is nothing to write home about. It's OK, but it's thinner and cheaper than the older stock. It's kind of minimally OK. France Cartes is what a friend at work used to call "minimal mother******s". A minimal MF is kind of a male basic b***h, only cheaper and lazier. He spends the minimum, he does the minimum. Just like France Cartes.

If the Anima Antiqua series doesn't even measure up to the cardstock equivalent of a man who thinks box wine and fast food are the birthday dinner of your dreams, RUN. Run and run and keep running until you are far, far away.

Edited by katrinka

bastetly
1 hour ago, katrinka said:

The old Grimaud stock is wonderful. It's the reason you see so many of their old decks for sale on ebay - these decks survive.

But back to de enabling, the current stock (France Cartes, née Grimaud) is nothing to write home about. It's OK, but it's thinner and cheaper than the older stock. It's kind of minimally OK. France Cartes is what a friend at work used to call "minimal mother******s". A minimal MF is kind of a male basic b***h, only cheaper and lazier. He spends the minimum, he does the minimum. Just like France Cartes.

If the Anima Antiqua series doesn't even measure up to the cardstock equivalent of a man who thinks box wine and fast food are the birthday dinner of your dreams, RUN. Run and run and keep running until you are far, far away.

I bolded the middle paragraph.  The only example I own of a deck fm Grimaud but noted in the accompanied booklet as France Cartes, is Le Petit Oracle des Dames.  Large cards.  Thin, very flexible and VERY slippery.  I am aware the older decks of Grimaud were much thicker.  And hopefully not as slick.  The Game of Hope version is probably a linenized surface which would be nicer but....I have what I have. 

Reproductions of old cards on thin and overly glossy stock downgrades the whole attempt.  I just wish they would stop until they can get it RIGHT.  So yes, I can now ignore further editions of old cards publ. by LoS under the AA line, and France Cartes.   Spend a little more for cards that won't annoy me the minute they swoosh out of the box like an oil slick!  💩

katrinka
6 hours ago, bastetly said:

I bolded the middle paragraph.  The only example I own of a deck fm Grimaud but noted in the accompanied booklet as France Cartes, is Le Petit Oracle des Dames.  Large cards.  Thin, very flexible and VERY slippery. 

Slick as black ice. Treacherously slick.

I am aware the older decks of Grimaud were much thicker.  And hopefully not as slick. 

I imagine the very old ones were thicker.
The oldest Grimaud deck I have is a Grand Jeu de Mlle. Lenormand that dates to the late 60's-early 70's. I always think of it as thicker, but it's actually not.  Here it is compared to my backup copy, which is a recent France Cartes one.

gj.jpg.0c1e69b1561c326123469ea070a7fde7.jpg

It looks a little thicker, but that can be attributed to wear. The deck has fluffed a bit after 50 years of use, as decks do.
It's not slippery, though. It's actually a bit sticky, I've been meaning to clean it and feed it a little fanning powder.
It's possible that could be attributed to wear and handling as well, but I don't think so. I don't remember any cartomancy decks being super slick until relatively recently. I'm not sure exactly when that started....80's? 90's?

And the older deck feels more substantial. It doesn't have the cheap feel that the newer one has. I can't quite articulate it (je ne sais quoi!) but it's not subjective - there's a distinct difference. More stock and less plastic, maybe? The colors are more saturated, too:

gj.jpg.6536870def0b7750b96b277914d2c653.jpg

I've never owned a truly OLD Grimaud (and the Grand Jeu has continuously been in print since the 1840's, IIRC.) And I don't expect to ever own an uncoated one with square corners and tax stamps. But I'd love to get my hands on a copy from the 30's or 40's. Not to buy, just to FEEL. I'll bet those really ARE thicker.

The Game of Hope version is probably a linenized surface which would be nicer but....I have what I have. 

That one is super slippy, too. But it's an air cushioned kind of slippy, not a nasty, greased eel kind of slippy.
Hey...it occurs to me that we're supposed to be phasing out a lot of plastic. GOOD.

Reproductions of old cards on thin and overly glossy stock downgrades the whole attempt.  I just wish they would stop until they can get it RIGHT.  So yes, I can now ignore further editions of old cards publ. by LoS under the AA line, and France Cartes.   Spend a little more for cards that won't annoy me the minute they swoosh out of the box like an oil slick!  💩

Success. Woohoo!

Edited by katrinka

Nanook

I keep looking at Ciro Marchetti’s Retrospective Tarot.  The colors, the beautiful perfect people....please talk me out of it. 

Decan
5 hours ago, Nanook said:

I keep looking at Ciro Marchetti’s Retrospective Tarot.  The colors, the beautiful perfect people....please talk me out of it. 

Absolutely, my pleasure!

Actually we don't need to say too much about it, well, if you already saw just one deck by Ciro you've seen everything! It's silvery, goldy, the card stock is thick and laminated, italian jesters and Venician masks here there and everywhere, some nudity mixed with a romantic touch (sickly sentimental?), nothing vulgar of course, but really repetitive and boring. Very commercial and a lack of soul (but for a complete lack of soul Robert Place is better). 😈