This is the DE-ENABLE thread concerning buying and reading of tarot.

Saturn Celeste

10 minutes ago, FindYourSovereignty said:

Could use some help... Dark Mansion Tarot, yay or nay? 

Humm... the Dark Mansion Tarot... I don't own it so I looked at the cards online.

Interesting, attractive, even "funny" at first sight BUT I suspect that it is the kind of decks that will likely distract you for some times only (not long!), but its childish side will probably quickly become bothersome for you.

If you read for others with it, it's really possible that your readings won't be taken seriously and possibly you'll have at times some little remarks like "Ah he looks funny this one on your card, is that your Devil, lol" ...this will ruin your self-confidence, and your ability to read cards could suffer from this situation. I don't think you'll have a breakdown of course (?) but this could nevertheless mine you insidiously from the inside... a possibility!!

Well why taking these risks and spending money in addition for that mess while you could buy instead a deck that will be like a trusting friend for years? It would be too bad (and not really useful).

My 2 cents! 😈

FindYourSovereignty
2 minutes ago, Decan said:

Humm... the Dark Mansion Tarot... I don't own it so I looked at the cards online.

Interesting, attractive, even "funny" at first sight BUT I suspect that it is the kind of decks that will likely distract you for some times only (not long!), but its childish side will probably quickly become bothersome for you.

If you read for others with it, it's really possible that your readings won't be taken seriously and possibly you'll have at times some little remarks like "Ah he looks funny this one on your card, is that your Devil, lol" ...this will ruin your self-confidence, and your ability to read cards could suffer from this situation. I don't think you'll have a breakdown of course (?) but this could nevertheless mine you insidiously from the inside... a possibility!!

Well why taking these risks and spending money in addition for that mess while you could buy instead a deck that will be like a trusting friend for years? It would be too bad (and not really useful).

My 2 cents! 😈

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. This is very true - it would not be a deck I would use to read for others and it is on the expensive side for a more fun deck that would only get used for me. Excellent points. 

SO pretty - and this woman's work always has DEPTH and SUBSTANCE. There's always a metric f***tonne of knowledge and thought that goes into her work.
And there's animals.
But I don't NEED it, not now. I'm deep diving into some other things and if I get this deck, SOMETHING is going to be neglected.
A little help, please.
https://crowtarotshop.com/products/guardian-of-the-night-ships-fall-2020

Oh, one of my preferred threads! But I read again a few of my last comments and I must confess that I didn't think all the bad things that I wrote, really, it has been just to help people!

So I feel a little ashamed and decided to be kinder, to look at the glass half full as much as it's possible, and to try everything to stay positive!

Okay, so it's with this nice energy that I took a glance online at the Guardian of the Night; actually it's the first time I saw these cards so my perspective isn't perverted by the comments I could have read before.

I noted a rich coloring, the presence of many animals indeed, flowers and little stars too. Oh cute (you see, I really make efforts!!!).

But well, is that a Tarot deck or a new oracle to contact your totem animal? I'm sorry...

Yes a bumblebee in the middle of the card for the World, but why? If the completion of everything is a bumblebee that will pike you (even surrounded by flowers), please don't complete but run away!!

Interesting Hight Priestess too, but what happened to her? Did she drink some bad potion that transformed her into a bat-vampire?

And the Devil card! Oh my! A hare with antlers?? What is that! And his face is skull-like? Really Katrinka, it's not possible, and you saw that I tried everything to stress the good side of this deck. What would you say to your sitters? I see you going to the zoo in your future? Or do you have strange dreams lately because on my cards it looks weird!

Else, you could have to say something like Oh my poor woman your next mate will be dangerous (pulling the World card), or will have an equilibrum issue (pulling the High Priestess) etc.

No it's not even possible. Or if you pull the Devil for a question about the new neighbor of your sitter? Hmm I see an alien coming soon next to you?

Otherwise, considering the artwork the cards could be used as interesting coasters for your cups when you drink a coffee or a tea, so if the cards are strongly laminated it could be fine for that purpose. Of course you can find cheaper coasters too! Well... 🤪

Edited by Decan
On 8/12/2020 at 10:09 AM, FindYourSovereignty said:

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. This is very true - it would not be a deck I would use to read for others and it is on the expensive side for a more fun deck that would only get used for me. Excellent points. 

The Dark Mansion...one of those i actually regret purchasing, and lost considerable money selling used.

The novelty wore off fast -- even for myself.

Edited by Wyrdkiss
36 minutes ago, Decan said:

I noted a rich coloring, the presence of many animals indeed, flowers and little stars too. Oh cute (you see, I really make efforts!!!).

But well, is that a Tarot deck or a new oracle to contact your totem animal? I'm sorry...

Yes a bumblebee in the middle of the card for the World, but why? If the completion of everything is a bumblebee that will pike you (even surrounded by flowers), please don't complete but run away!!

True. You've got my attention now...

Interesting Hight Priestess too, but what happened to her? Did she drink some bad potion that transformed her into a bat-vampire?

That's a Flying Fox. They're fruit bats, and I like them. It was one of the things that almost made me hit the 'buy' button.
But you make a good point. HPS =/= fruit bat.

And the Devil card! Oh my! A hare with antlers?? What is that!

A jackalope! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope
I've only ever seen them on postcards, much like the huge...never mind. Let's keep this clean and minty fresh.

Capture.JPG.56bf164880ca31995e4ef61e4734f244.JPG

And his face is skull-like?

Yeah, and it doesn't have that folk-arty, Dia de los Muertos appeal. You make a good point.

Really Katrinka, it's not possible, and you saw that I tried everything to stress the good side of this deck. What would you say to your sitters? I see you going to the zoo in your future? Or do you have strange dreams lately because on my cards it looks weird!

Or "The only thing that gets that smell out of your carpet is the cleaner with enzymes..."

Else, you could have to say something like Oh my poor woman your next mate will be dangerous (pulling the World card), or will have an equilibrum issue (pulling the High Priestess) etc.

No it's not even possible. Or if you pull the Devil for a question about the new neighbor of your sitter? Hmm I see an alien coming soon next to you?

Or worse yet, "I see a move to KANSAS in your future."

Capture.JPG.82e8931d7a70bcf2e68873559b27801e.JPG

Otherwise, considering the artwork the cards could be be used as interesting coasters for your cups when you drink a coffee or a tea, so if the cards are strongly laminated it could be fine for that purpose. Of course you can find cheaper coasters too! Well...

Well, that settles it. I already have very nice coasters.
De-enable succeeded. THANK YOU!

3 hours ago, katrinka said:

SO pretty - and this woman's work always has DEPTH and SUBSTANCE. There's always a metric f***tonne of knowledge and thought that goes into her work.
And there's animals.
But I don't NEED it, not now. I'm deep diving into some other things and if I get this deck, SOMETHING is going to be neglected.
A little help, please.

I don't know how much use I'll be in de-enabling, that deck is gorgeous! 

If you're deep diving into some other thing right now will this deck sit on the shelf for a while until you have the time for it? Wouldn't it be better to just hold off on buying it until you're able to give it the time it deserves? 

It also seems very different from the style I normally see you post with (or am I wrong?) will you actually use it or just study it? 

It is the colors Katrinka.. go get yourself some kitchen towels with aqua and orange. I'll even send you a few if you like, but mine are just stripes, Target or Walmarts will have chickens on them. Everywhere you've been you've been the last three years you've been inundated with those colors, that is why they appeal to you, stylists chose a color of the year and then brainwash us. And you have covid fatigue, all those pretty colors seem like a doorway out. It is a fake door. Fake Door. 

Lenormand readers, SOS please.  I just started my Lenormand journey and am enamoured with several decks on Etsy.'

Here's one, the Oracle of Golden Dreams.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/601959620/oracle-deck-golden-dreams-original?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=Lenormand&ref=sr_gallery-2-41&organic_search_click=1&frs=1&cns=1

Why would you not recommend it? Or is there anything you dislike I may not be noticing?

Thanks

@Wyrdkiss

Well, this deck is problematic if you would like to follow tradition:

The Birds card: okay Owls or Birds are correct but to add a book isn't since there is a Book card apart, so it's confusing.

The Bouquet card: okay these are flowers but they reminds Lilies which is a special card in Lenormand, so it's confusing.

The Broom: oops, it's the Whips, there is no broom in Lenormand.

The Heart card: the keyhole isn't necessary and confusing because the Key is a special card in Lenormand.

The House: a little too gloomy imo because this card is nice and peaceful, nothing gloomy.

The Sun: yes but the red fruit (or a plant) isn't useful at all.

The Cross: the light around isn't appropriated since this card is about pain and sufferings, actually it is really gloomy.

The Ship: it looks a bad and dangerous card in this deck, but this card isn't bad or dangerous.

The Rider: is a woman on the horse (I don't see well)? Actually the Rider is a young athletic man, so...

The Pandora box: it is an additional card, it doesn't exist in Lenormand.

I'm sure I can find one or two other things, but well...as you can see...

It's not bad faith or sarcasm here, just what it is 🙁

8 minutes ago, Decan said:

@Wyrdkiss

The Birds card: okay Owls or Birds are correct but to add a book isn't since there is a Book card apart, so it's confusing.

The Bouquet card: okay these are flowers but they reminds Lilies which is a special card in Lenormand, so it's confusing.

The Heart card: the keyhole isn't necessary and confusing because the Key is a special card in Lenormand.

The House: a little too gloomy imo because this card is nice and peaceful, nothing gloomy.

The Cross: the light around isn't appropriated since this card is about pain and sufferings, actually it is really gloomy.

The Ship: it looks a bad and dangerous card in this deck, but this card isn't bad or dangerous.

The Rider: is a woman on the horse (I don't see well)? Actually the Rider is a young athletic man, so...

Thank you Decan, I appreciate the feedback. After reading this I searched carefully, with the thought of simplicity in mind.  Discovered a lovely Lenormand from Germany. True to the roots, vintage in appearance, and very direct / straightforward. I'm much happier picking that one up after realizing a few things. I am a tarot guy by nature, and in the case of Lenormand less = more. It's an exciting discovery. I will not post the deck here -- it would be quite enabling for some people and we'll have none of that! Thanks again.

59 minutes ago, Decan said:

@Wyrdkiss

Just FYI. About the Broom part, I've seen some decks (which I can't recall right now 😞 ) include both the whips and the broom, or either one also. The broom can have the same meaning as the whips because they reminds us of troublesome and non-ending negative loop.

2 hours ago, NealDT said:

Just FYI. About the Broom part, I've seen some decks (which I can't recall right now 😞 ) include both the whips and the broom, or either one also. The broom can have the same meaning as the whips because they reminds us of troublesome and non-ending negative loop.

That would be a whip and a birchrod bundle, not a broom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birching

00.jpg.be76c960bb886b0b33283a057ef3f1e7.jpg00.jpg.8ac30a78e923381d725033b43d129d8f.jpgCapture.JPG.304be1f8a3e038d4844d236f1f9a7d43.JPG

It's a card of strife. And there is no non-ending loop - that would be the Ring. The Whip/Birchrods can refer to things that happen twice, not over and over.

timtoldrum
12 hours ago, Wyrdkiss said:

Lenormand readers, SOS please.  I just started my Lenormand journey and am enamoured with several decks on Etsy.'

Here's one, the Oracle of Golden Dreams.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/601959620/oracle-deck-golden-dreams-original?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=Lenormand&ref=sr_gallery-2-41&organic_search_click=1&frs=1&cns=1

Why would you not recommend it? Or is there anything you dislike I may not be noticing?

Thanks

Although the cards are attractive, some deviations seen, here, would substantially change the cards' definitions.  

The Cavalier is female; traditionally, the card is one of the male signifiers.  The High Tower is not a tower-house or palazzi and looks more like a mausoleum.  We see the Letter in a bottle.  Traditionally, the Letter is sealed and symbolises private communication between two people (can be by telephone, e-mail, SMS).  The Sun looks more like an apple card.    The Owls look strange... there is no nest, they do not look ruffled. 

Other than that, it is a nice a deck!

Edited by timtoldrum
timtoldrum
On 10/16/2020 at 4:10 AM, katrinka said:

And there's animals.
A little help, please.

The cards are beautiful and I agree they are stunning.  However there seems to be no clear cohesion.  Orcas and lionesses, and the Queen of Pentacles?  It is hard to see its intrinsic essence or focus.  It might have done better as an oracle deck.  

On 10/16/2020 at 2:33 AM, TheFeeLion said:

I don't know how much use I'll be in de-enabling, that deck is gorgeous! 

If you're deep diving into some other thing right now will this deck sit on the shelf for a while until you have the time for it? Wouldn't it be better to just hold off on buying it until you're able to give it the time it deserves? 

It also seems very different from the style I normally see you post with (or am I wrong?) will you actually use it or just study it? 

It IS different. It would be difficult for me to get into the proper headspace with this.
De-enabling 6/10.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:09 AM, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

It is the colors Katrinka.. go get yourself some kitchen towels with aqua and orange. I'll even send you a few if you like, but mine are just stripes, Target or Walmarts will have chickens on them. Everywhere you've been you've been the last three years you've been inundated with those colors, that is why they appeal to you, stylists chose a color of the year and then brainwash us. And you have covid fatigue, all those pretty colors seem like a doorway out. It is a fake door. Fake Door. 

It may well be the colors. And I'm not seeing mint green. I like mint green.
De-enabling 8/10.

5 hours ago, timtoldrum said:

The cards are beautiful and I agree they are stunning.  However there seems to be no clear cohesion.  Orcas and lionesses, and the Queen of Pentacles?  It is hard to see its intrinsic essence or focus.  It might have done better as an oracle deck.  

I just realized that I had the artist confused with M.M. Meleen. It's MELEEN'S decks that have depth and substance.
This one does lack cohesion.
De-enabling 10/10. Mission accomplished.

Thanks, everyone!

9 hours ago, katrinka said:

That would be a whip and a birchrod bundle, not a broom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birching

00.jpg.be76c960bb886b0b33283a057ef3f1e7.jpg00.jpg.8ac30a78e923381d725033b43d129d8f.jpgCapture.JPG.304be1f8a3e038d4844d236f1f9a7d43.JPG

It's a card of strife. And there is no non-ending loop - that would be the Ring. The Whip/Birchrods can refer to things that happen twice, not over and over.

Oh, sorry for my mistake about the broom.

However, due to my experiences with clients, the Whip/Birchrods usually mentions of problems that continuously repeat without clear ending. And the problems just keep going on, in weeks or maybe in moths, and those trap them in an unescapeable loop with many reasons. The loop in Ring card doesn't show many changes, but the loop in the Whip card shows that problem will keep coming and staying for a long time, it refers to repitition of things. That's how I clarify the meaning of the card. Anw, thank you for your reminder.  

12 hours ago, NealDT said:

What's your source for that? 

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm referring to when I advise beginners to choose their sources carefully. You'll do better sticking with the system.

18 minutes ago, katrinka said:

What's your source for that? 

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm referring to when I advise beginners to choose their sources carefully. You'll do better sticking with the system.

Well, I followed guidance from Essential Lenormand of Rana George and also experiences I've fot from my clients' stories. I'm not a beginner in Lenormand, but from what I've got from reading with clients, my interpretation from the card were mostly accurate within their situations. And even in Rana's book, she doesn't say that things in Whips card only happen twice like what you've said. She just emphasizes the repitition motion of the card. And I don't think this is the right topic to discuss about meanings of card, so I'd stop my reply here. If you want to discuss further, I'd happy to join you in the messages or PM 🐳🐳🐳

1 hour ago, NealDT said:

And I don't think this is the right topic to discuss about meanings of card, so I'd stop my reply here. If you want to discuss further, I'd happy to join you in the messages or PM 🐳🐳🐳

I only brought it up to stop the spread of misinformation. 

When you consider what a broom does, it's positive: it clears away dirt and debris. And sweeping is not neverending. Nor is whipping. A ring, or circle is. 

And two years is still a beginner. 

Carry on. 

timtoldrum
16 hours ago, NealDT said:

Well, I followed guidance from Essential Lenormand of Rana George and also experiences I've fot from my clients' stories. I'm not a beginner in Lenormand, but from what I've got from reading with clients, my interpretation from the card were mostly accurate within their situations. And even in Rana's book, she doesn't say that things in Whips card only happen twice like what you've said. She just emphasizes the repitition motion of the card. And I don't think this is the right topic to discuss about meanings of card, so I'd stop my reply here. If you want to discuss further, I'd happy to join you in the messages or PM 🐳🐳🐳

The Birch Rod is a tool of corporal punishment. It is a picture of chastisement and corrective action.  You will be admonished or asked to make changes or revisions to something, and so on.  Someone may be given one, three, eleven lashes and so on.  The point is that there is an end.  People can argue regularly, but it is not on an endless loop. 

The ring denotes repetition because it is a circle and has no clear end or beginning.  You are in a loop.  It does not need to be quiescent.  Cycles can wax and wane.  

That is just my take.  

Edited by timtoldrum