Crystal Ball stands

Tarotphelia

timtoldrum
2 hours ago, katrinka said:

I agree. 
It's difficult to find a perfectly clear stone sphere. About the best that can be hoped for is minimal inclusions that can't be seen with the lights dimmed. 
Glass solves that problem.

Strangely, I found inclusions quite helpful @katrinka. For quite a long time I struggled with the sphere. Every one told me if you can see in water (or other) you can see in anything.

But time after time I got nothing. Water, yes. Mirror, yes. Then I got a tiny quartz sphere, full of inclusions ... great. I found inclusions helpful aids in gazing. It’s strange. But they helped with the looking. Like light does on the water. 

katrinka

I'm guessing you use them as points de repère.
Sometimes I'll leave a tiny reflection of light unblocked for that purpose. Otherwise, my eyes can drift a bit. 

I think for some, it might also be dependent on what they trained with. I learned with a glass sphere, and with glass bottles filled with water. To this day, I can't see a thing in a black mirror!

katrinka

And I just want to add, there's some really nice stands ITT. @leroidetrèfle's cobras are especially impressive. 🙂

All of my stands are pretty generic. I never put a great deal of effort into finding stands. The spheres I use for gazing are wrapped and kept in boxes, the others are mainly for decor/feng shui/C. Alexander type experiments. My main gazing sphere has a dinky lucite stand I never use, but can't quite bring myself to toss. My other gazing sphere has no stand. Sometimes I use a palm stone. It's girasol (moon quartz) and kind of oblong and irregular, so a stand would be pretty pointless. 

I think if I was going to get better stands, I might look at old napkin rings. I think a good, vintage napkin ring would make a stable, attractive stand.

This "display spheres vs. gazing spheres" thing is just something I picked up when I was young. I learned gazing from a chapter in Zolar's Encyclopedia of Ancient and Forbidden Knowledge, lol. I was fifteen and just credulous enough to buy into it. I don't recommend that book, BTW. The "Using The Magic Mirror" chapter is plagiarized from Sepharial's "How to Read the Crystal; or, Crystal and Seer" http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26622 and some other old sources, like John Melville. I do prefer the old books to the new age stuff, and compiled a list of links to sources here https://fennario.wordpress.com/tag/crystal-gazing/

Anyway, these old books make much of "magnetism" that comes "from your eyes and from the ether". They recommend putting the crystal ball out to bathe in the moonlight, and caution never, ever to let the rays of the sun hit it. They said to wrap the ball and put it away carefully in its box when the session was over. And so I went along with all that because I was fifteen, lol, and the world was still a nice place with nice people who didn't lie for no good reason. And it does seem to work that way, I've tried to gaze in my displayed spheres and gotten nothing. I don't know if it's psychological, or what. For all I know, there really could be some magnetic thing going on with my gazing balls. Is it the same for others, or no?

Probably not. It smells like BS. But I've always done it that way, and it works. 

Edited by katrinka

This resin castle crystal ball stand originally held a liquid- and glitter-filled glass globe. Burning a tea candle in the base caused the glitter to swirl as the liquid heated up. But after I dropped and cracked the globe, I started using the stand for crystal balls and keeping rings in the base.

Then, last month my son surprised me with an art doll -- a troll -- which he designed and made by hand.  So, I named my new troll Bugrug and set him up with a bamboo Brady Tarot box for a bench, a girasol quartz crystal ball for skrying, and a treasure to guard. 

My husband bought this stand about 20 years ago at a metaphysical book store. I haven't looked for another one like it, but maybe they're still out there. 

Crystal ball & troll.jpg

🙂 Hey, Leroidetrefle!  Thanks for showing your crystal ball holders!  I like that one!  Recently set up shop (currently closed due to this virus) and hoping to give some crystal ball readings, psychic readings and card readings.  Your ball holder there would be way cool to have on my table!  I'll have to look for something like that. 🙂 Are the holders two separate ones?  It appears so, but just wanting to be sure.  

Also, in your second picture, are the wooden round items on the cards a set of runes?  Did you make them?  They look really nice and I love that they are made on wooden discs like that.  Very natural looking and very well done if so!

Thank you so much for sharing.  🙂

Edited by Luna
to erase a mistake

Leroidetrefle, I agree with you with what type of sphere is good for reading.  I have both clear and quite  a few with inclusions.  I prefer to read with the ones that have the inclusions.  They prove to be much easier to read.  

Edited by Luna
it was a duplicate post that I just noticed.

Madame Squee, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your set up!  😄   Your son could make those and sell them!  If he lives close to me in New York, I could guarantee the New Age Shop I work in would feature them for sale!  Though, I realize it would be only the troll and not the ball holder.   But, I imagine we can probably come up with a tall ball holder the troll could also fit around.  But, that is really very cute!!!

timtoldrum
17 hours ago, Luna said:

🙂 Hey, Leroidetrefle!  Thanks for showing your crystal ball holders!  I like that one!  Recently set up shop (currently closed due to this virus) and hoping to give some crystal ball readings, psychic readings and card readings.  Your ball holder there would be way cool to have on my table!  I'll have to look for something like that. 🙂 Are the holders two separate ones?  It appears so, but just wanting to be sure.  

Also, in your second picture, are the wooden round items on the cards a set of runes?  Did you make them?  They look really nice and I love that they are made on wooden discs like that.  Very natural looking and very well done if so!

Thank you so much for sharing.  🙂

Hello Luna

Thank you.  Yes, they are two separate candlesticks.  I found them in an antique store (although they are not that old).  Since then I have seen others, including a pair in the Doreen Valiente exhibition in Brighton. 

The wooden disks are the so-called Witches' Runes.  @katrinka might be able to confirm or correct me, but I believe they were created by Patricia Crowther and originally numbered just eight.  These are the newer version with thirteen emblems.

These were gifted to me, and I understand that the crafter had an Etsy store.  You can get some excellent options made by crafters, or do your own, of course.  I liked the wood as it is lighter than stone and thus does not damage the painted tray I use them with.  You can get them made out of clay, stones, bone.  The latter is a no, for me, as a vegan. 

katrinka
3 hours ago, leroidetrèfle said:

The wooden disks are the so-called Witches' Runes.  @katrinka might be able to confirm or correct me, but I believe they were created by Patricia Crowther and originally numbered just eight.  These are the newer version with thirteen emblems.

Yes, Crowther did the 8 piece version first, in 1981 from what I gather. She described them in her book "Lid Off The Cauldron":
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1273809.Lid_Off_the_Cauldron

The Susan Sheppard 13 piece version is from her book that came out in 2000:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1531803.A_Witch_s_Runes

The original intention was that people make them for themselves, and it's easily done, but as Andy stated, you can find all kinds of sets for sale, too. I've actually seen sterling silver ones on etsy at one point.

They seem to be partially Lenormand inspired, with some of the same symbols (the Sheppard runes, particularly) but the interpretations are slightly different.

thank you, leroidtrefle and Katrinka for your replies.  The candlesticks are so interesting, I'll have to keep my eyes open for something different like that.  It is an interesting way to hold a crystal ball and would lend to the interesting way of crystal ball reading too, I think! 😄  The discs are really beautiful.  We just had a limb taken off from our maple tree (it was dead and needed to be taken off before it fell on the house or God forbid, anyone who walked under it!) and I think my husband saved it for us to make something from it.  I was thinking a wand...now after seeing those beautiful discs, perhaps that.  If we do make either wand or discs such as those above, I'll be sure to update here with a picture.  However, that sadly won't be done anytime too soon with all this stuff going on with the corona virus and we needing to stay put in our homes.  Anyway, thanks!

Thank you also for the links, as I am off to look at them. 

Stay safe everyone!

On 3/24/2020 at 5:35 PM, Luna said:

Madame Squee, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your set up!  😄   Your son could make those and sell them!  If he lives close to me in New York, I could guarantee the New Age Shop I work in would feature them for sale!  Though, I realize it would be only the troll and not the ball holder.   But, I imagine we can probably come up with a tall ball holder the troll could also fit around.  But, that is really very cute!!!

@Luna Thank you so much! No, he lives in Colorado, but I will share your comments with him. He doesn't put much credence in mom compliments. He's a biologist but also sews and collects vintage sewing machines. (He makes great quilts, too.)

I think that's great!  My husband can sew and sews better then me, tbh in many ways.  I also recall TarotBear from A.T. was a FANTASTIC quilter.  OMG, that man could sew beautifully!  My mother in law taught her sons and daughters to sew and cook and clean.  She felt everyone should know how to do it all.  Good and smart lady there, as back in the 1960s it was still considered that boys didn't need to learn all that, as it was more of a 'girl' thing.  My mother didn't teach any of us anything and we had to learn on our own when we moved out on our own.  lol.  So I think its great he does all that!  You must have been a great influence in his life.  🙂  

I am gonna have to keep an eye out for something like that and see if I can get anything close to it.  You're fortunate, as your son having made it, makes it all the more special too! 🙂