Spirit Keeper's Tarot

RavenOfSummer

Rose Lalonde

Rose Lalonde[/member], I love what she has done with the courts too. The information she gave in the pdf was so interesting. It’s definitely a deck which she has put heart and soul into and I really admire her for that. I will devote some time to it from Feb onwards.

I haven't read the courts pdf yet! I blame books I received for the holidays.  It's a terrible problem to have all this new reading material.  ;)

Sitting on my hands like Flaxen[/member]. I do like the 2nd edition, but if I could only have one, it would be the deck I already have. (I prefer its World & Knights/Virtues art.) So with $23 shipping down here (which is how much it costs, not complaining), I think I'll hold off.  If I didn't have a copy, I would've gone for it.

Just signed up! I love the sepia tones! Gorgeous, will be glad to get a copy, as I did not get the first edition.

Excited!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, Rose. I'm definitely tempted.

Just signed up! I love the sepia tones! Gorgeous, will be glad to get a copy, as I did not get the first edition.

Excited!  :thumbsup:

Nice!  ;D

(We'll probably get a study group going here at some point, so I'm especially glad more people will be able to have the deck by August.)

To those who preordered - did anyone else who preordered get the email with the link to the book for the "Vitruvian Edition" - it downloaded fine - and then there was a second email telling us there were errors and here was a link to the new version - which is a dead link ? If you got the corrected pdf BOOK - I would love to hear from you.... I would like it corrected. I emailed the address it came from - but there was no response.

To those who preordered - did anyone else who preordered get the email with the link to the book for the "Vitruvian Edition" - it downloaded fine - and then there was a second email telling us there were errors and here was a link to the new version - which is a dead link ? If you got the corrected pdf BOOK - I would love to hear from you.... I would like it corrected. I emailed the address it came from - but there was no response.

Both the 1st & 2nd editions' "medium white book" are now available on her site. The 2nd 'Vitruvian' one is here, and she linked to it yesterday so that's probably the latest, though I can't say for sure.

Penthasilia

Received the book first (ordered it from Lulu and definitely worth it) and then the Vitruvian arrived on Friday.

This is a LOVELY deck, so very well thought out and executed. I very much appreciate the time that went into the creation as well as the book. I didn't know about the first edition- so this is my first look at the project but I am very pleased.

Hope others are enjoying their new version/deck as well. Simply stunning!

Mine is Muriel. Would love to hear the names of your decks too!

AJ-ish/Sharyn

I ordered the larger print edition of the Lulu book and am very happy with it, the Vetruvian deck has shipped! When have we ever had consecrated decks before? What a woman. 

AJ-ish/Sharyn

Benebell sent a recent email about the deck names because people were pestering her on what they mean. Apparently when she ran across something appropriate she noted it down to use but did not keep the definition/meaning thinking she'd remember 🙂 She doesn't and suggests we do web searches, and use variation of the spelling and root. Mine is Netane which I only found in a cursory search as the name of some woman which I'm sure isn't what she meant. 

Penthasilia
6 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

Benebell sent a recent email about the deck names because people were pestering her on what they mean. Apparently when she ran across something appropriate she noted it down to use but did not keep the definition/meaning thinking she'd remember 🙂 She doesn't and suggests we do web searches, and use variation of the spelling and root. Mine is Netane which I only found in a cursory search as the name of some woman which I'm sure isn't what she meant. 

20 hours ago, McFaire said:

@Penthasilia

My Vetruvian has arrived, and its name is Elemina.

Thanks for sharing! I looked up Muriel- the one thing that caught my fancy was the listing from the Angelarium website (a deck I have and love). https://www.angelarium.net/cancer The only other references I found are to flowers/smell of flowers. I think it is beautiful she names all the decks.

2 hours ago, Penthasilia said:

I think it is beautiful she names all the decks.

Yes, it's really a great idea. Benebell is nothing if not detail oriented!

10 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

Mine is Netane

What an interesting and attractive name.

Maybe some of the names are of Chinese origin and could be hard to research in English?

Nordica De Spell

There’s a video on Youtube called ”a magical critique” or something like that.

I don’t want to link to it, but if you write ”Spirit Keepers Tarot” it comes up among the first searches.

Has anyone seen it? Would appreciate your thoughts on it. 

Penthasilia
3 hours ago, Nordica De Spell said:

There’s a video on Youtube called ”a magical critique” or something like that.

I don’t want to link to it, but if you write ”Spirit Keepers Tarot” it comes up among the first searches.

Has anyone seen it? Would appreciate your thoughts on it. 

I watched it. Don't know how much stock I put into it. It is his opinion. Some of what he starts out with is incorrect (for instance, stating the original had a portrait of her and it was of her mother, and when he asked about it and she directed him to the book to understand it, he declined and is using this argument as one of the basis for his discussion). The other piece is not referencing that was changed, or that it was originally meant to be a personal deck to begin with.

People have varying opinions about letting other peoples' energy into their space. The oil bit- well, tons of people buy pre-mixed oils, bring them in their home, use them, etc. If you aren't one of those people- then I can see where having someone use the oil they made to anoint the deck would be offsetting. But, there is this tiny voice in my mind that cannot help asking- if you are that awesome of a magician, you telling me you can't erase that and put your own on it?

I am all about varying opinions on decks. If you don't like it, you don't like it- cool. If you don't agree with the premise, or the way it was created- cool. Don't buy it. Or buy it and leave a review of what you don't agree with. But, imho, he went a bit beyond that and created a dark, and weirdly conspiracy-theory type review that seems to be a bit over the top. I don't see this as a good review- I tend to gravitate more toward the ones that don't hold bias either way. 

Discernment. It's a beautiful thing.

Tangentially, the oil is on the shrink wrap, which goes straight to the rubbish bin. So, that part of his argument is moot.

6 hours ago, Penthasilia said:

If you don't agree with the premise, or the way it was created- cool. Don't buy it. Or buy it and leave a review of what you don't agree with. But, imho, he went a bit beyond that and created a dark, and weirdly conspiracy-theory type review that seems to be a bit over the top. I don't see this as a good review- I tend to gravitate more toward the ones that don't hold bias either way. 

I agree with what Penthasilia says here. 

Benebell has created a deck which has been really popular. There is a lot of buzz about it and that seems to rankle some people. 

Personally, there are decks I have or had where I can’t quite gel with the creator’s take. I simply don’t use them. 

He has his own views on the magical aspect based on his experience and particular path. That’s fine. However, other people will follow a different way and find they resonate more with Benebell’s approach than, say, Crowley’s. 

I watched 1,5 minutes of his video and I will review it based on that - because that is exactly what he did to Benebell Wen and her work. He starts by explaining that he knows basically nothing about Benebell or the basis for this deck. So I will not waste my time watching the rest of the video. In my humble opinion, that is not a review worth its name. At best, I would call it a rant. Am I biased in saying so? Yes, for sure. I am a fan of Benebell Wen and I was the one who suggested that she should be among the ‘favorite Queens’ in our Anniversary interviews. So yout better keep those biases in mind when reading this 😉

Also. If someone, for whatever reason, does not want their deck to be anointed then there is a very simple solution to that - ask Benebell not to anoint it! I had to do that myself because of allergies. I couldn’t risk having the scents penetrate the deck because then I might not be able to use it (I get a stuffed nose and itchy eyes from incense and strong fragrances, that’s why I always go with ‘better safe than sorry’). Benebell is so forthcoming and understanding about these type of requests it’s basically a non issue. 

In a nut shell, he seems to be afraid that the decks are unwholesome and unsafe. He makes assertions that her inner contacts aren't wholesome, that her objective in creating the deck is to send out her magical power into the world for selfish purposes, that she uses her own image in the cards with the anointing oil to cast magic on the decks that she can control, and that having one of her decks in your possession and use presents a risk to you and allows Benebell to hold some kind of power over you.

Could his assertions be objectively true? Is it possible?

I suppose the best way to answer this would be to do a reading with your most trusted deck to check the new one.

I'm no expert, but I think if you were talking about one single deck worked on by a powerful magician for a specific purpose, I think most magicians would say that such a thing is possible.

However, to cast that kind of magic over 2000 shrink-wrapped decks, spending no more than one second with each deck (she posted a video of it online), is that actually possible? Does magic work that way? I don't know. Brings up a lot of issues, some of them technical.

I'm not sure what his issue is with what she calls her "holy guardian angels," but it seemed to have something to do with Christian beliefs.

It might be fun to all check our decks, just to see what they're up to. Someone devise a spread. Lol.