Is it possible to 'hide' certain board sections?

PathWalker

Sorry if this is a question with a terribly obvious answer - but is it possible to hide certain sections of the board when you're logged in?

I use the 'unread posts since last visit' feature when I log back in, but the list is heavily populated with reading questions of a type I have no interest in looking at  :(

Is it possible to hide from view all of that section?

Thank you

PathWalker

I've wondered this, too. I miss posts that are in response to something I wrote into, mainly because there is a lot to filter through each day.

(And no: I don't have an answer to your question.) :)

All Best,

Sandy

I've wondered this, too. I miss posts that are in response to something I wrote into, mainly because there is a lot to filter through each day.

I can't help PathWalker, but I think the "Show new replies to your posts" feature is supposed to address your issue.

I can't help PathWalker, but I think the "Show new replies to your posts" feature is supposed to address your issue.

But I don't write in EVERY thread i'm interested in LOL

yes, in account settings under profile go to the second menu "modify profile" and find "ignore board settings" there, or go directly here.

Unlike on AT if you tick or check to hide a section, you won't see posts from that section on the bar on the right and also under unread posts but you will still see the board links in the index. AT would hide it so you would never see that area ever. So you won't see posts from those sections in updating areas. So it hides from the recent topics and unread posts areas. If you reply to a post in one of those boards, you will still see the thread in the new post replies!

Make sure to click change profile after selecting your boards to ignore :)  <3

Thank you!!! <3

yes, in account settings under profile go to the second menu "modify profile" and find "ignore board settings" there, or go directly here.

Unlike on AT if you tick or check to hide a section, you won't see posts from that section on the bar on the right and also under unread posts but you will still see the board links in the index. AT would hide it so you would never see that area ever. So you won't see posts from those sections in updating areas. So it hides from the recent topics and unread posts areas. If you reply to a post in one of those boards, you will still see the thread in the new post replies!

Make sure to click change profile after selecting your boards to ignore :)  <3

PathWalker

Bringing this up again because I realize I did not figure out how to do this  😞

I can get to the page called 'notification settings' - wa that what you meant? But I can't find a way there to ignore any particular section. I want to ignore the quiz section.

Probably me being slow here but could do with some help/walk through?

Thank you

PW

We have this possibility but it's a bit difficult to explain.

You need to go to Activity>Unread Content  ...and there, at the top of the page, you have the possibility to create a filter and to save it.

PathWalker
4 minutes ago, Decan said:

We have this possibility but it's a bit difficult to explain.

You need to go to Activity>Unread Content  ...and there, at the top of the page, you have the possibility to create a filter and to save it.

Okay I can get to Activity - Unread Content.

What next please (so sorry)

41 minutes ago, PathWalker said:

What next please (so sorry)

Well, after that it's difficult to explain.

You have at the top of the page a section with Show me/ Content type / Read status / Ownership /Following / Time period / Sorting

The thing is about to deal with this section in order to create a personal filter, and then to save it.

I'm not sure if I'm clear unfortunately ☹️

PathWalker

I have looked at those section headings.

As best I can manage to understand, you have to opt IN of everything you want to see, rather than opt-out of a single section?

Or am I misunderstanding what it does?

Anyway I'll try later - thank you for your help and patience  :classic_smile:

3 minutes ago, PathWalker said:

you have to opt IN of everything you want to see, rather than opt-out of a single section?

Yes! And for that you check the boxes, particularly in the "Content type" section (after the "Show me" section).

PathWalker

That was going fine until I got the end - then the action for 'save these changes' wasn't highlighted in any way so I couldn't click it.

I could click'save as a new stream' but when I then went back to check everything had gone away 😞

It may be my settings, I appreciate that, but I couldn't save - sigh

4 minutes ago, PathWalker said:

That was going fine until I got the end - then the action for 'save these changes' wasn't highlighted in any way so I couldn't click it.

I could click'save as a new stream' but when I then went back to check everything had gone away 😞

It may be my settings, I appreciate that, but I couldn't save - sigh

If you are there it means that you are very close by now! 🙂

Once created, you save your filter by naming it, and then, above the new filter (it appears at the top) you check a little green box in order to do this filter as your default stream.

That way your preferences are saved.

PathWalker

Nope LOL

I manage to say which bits I want to see, and get them as little tags in blue - but then I don't see a place to make then have a name as a file.

I tried pressing "save changes" but it reverts as soon as I change page.

Coffee and chocolate now I think - I would share if I could :classic_smile:

There is a similar discussion about this over here. Whilst you can filter certain post types in activity, I am not sure it's the same as the ignore function and it's possible that you cannot do it with this forum software 😢

PathWalker

Thank you, thank you both.

It's just that I come here for the tarot - not for some of the other things, which just fill my screen with  . . well stuff I don't have any interest in. SO I thought I could just not see them, and it would a better experience, straight to the stuff I'd like to read.

Ah well, if it can't be done, it can't be done.

Hopefully at least admin can tell us for sure. No admin member has commented in this thread since it was started  😞

PW

9 minutes ago, PathWalker said:

Thank you, thank you both.

It's just that I come here for the tarot - not for some of the other things, which just fill my screen with  . . well stuff I don't have any interest in. SO I thought I could just not see them, and it would a better experience, straight to the stuff I'd like to read.

Ah well, if it can't be done, it can't be done.

Hopefully at least admin can tell us for sure. No admin member has commented in this thread since it was started  😞

PW

This thread was resurrected four hours ago, which was 6 in the morning in the states and lunch time here is Sweden - on a Sunday. That is why you haven’t had an admin reply yet 😉.@Saturn Celeste - our tech admin, will be around later and can hopefully answer your question. She knows far more about these things than I do 🙂. As far as why no one commented last year, I can only imagine that it was because the people that replied gave such in depth answers and we assumed that you figured it out (and you only told us just now that you didn’t). It’s good that you resurrected this thread though, so we can get a definite answer. Thank you for that! 

I'm not really able to explain how to do it unfortunately, but it's something possible with this software because I'm using this function (I fiddled a bit here and there before)!

PathWalker

Yes I appreciate that I have only just started this thread agian - but as Daniel pointed out the same subject is under discussion elsewhere - I didn't know that until recently - and has been under discussion again for 10 days.

Thank you to the folks who have tried to help - I appreciate I am quite technically challenged 🙂

It would have been more accurate then for me to say that the 'subject' of being able to hide certain sections is not fully addressed by admin, rather than just in this thread - i apologise.

And I do know how much work is done by mods and admin behind the scenes on such a forum - honestly 🙂

But for folks who really really would like to ignore subjects which have no interest to them and don't really have anything to do with a cartomancy forum, the ability to hide certain areas would be a boon.

To lighten the mood somewhat - am I the only person who gets a spelling suggestion when I write cartomancy? It would like to offer me necromancy!!! 

Edited by PathWalker

PathWalker

I thought I had it for a minute - but as soon as I move around the forum i.e. change pages, the preferences fail and all threads appear again.

I gave up the first time I tried to do this - all those months ago -becuase I couldn't make it work  and I'm giving up again now LOL

I can't make it work, and it's so frustrating trying that it's time for something different - knitting I think 🙂

I got as far saving my filter with a new name, but now I can't see how to locate the filter when I want to apply it! Getting close though, and thanks so much!