Unboxings and First Impressions

Raggydoll

Could it be.. the Queen Alice Tarot?! Oh yes! Such vivid colors and exactly the kind of playful deck that I so badly need at the moment  ^-^

157BE42E-17C5-4D38-B24E-5F843C03BEC6.jpg.27cd53b0490e413db6f74b2b383dd8ea.jpg

Of course, it is THAT deck! The one where the minors can be laid out together to form a complete scenario. Yes, it’s the Prisma Visions tarot! I’ve been wanting this deck for quite some time. It has such a unique vibe and I just love the color scheme!! (And I must say that it is even more beautiful in person!)

787240F2-F6BD-4638-9546-D109F621AC9E.jpg.3b63c0cfb52bc7a7b0cbd4be2811c6b8.jpg

The Spirit Keepers Tarot arrived today. Very excited by this one.

It comes in the most beautiful box with a numbered certificate, a little astrological info regarding its magical consecration date and a cute little magnet. The production values of its creator are impeccable.

This deck looks perfect for anyone interested in the esoteric side of tarot or lovers of black and white illustration.

7cffea85f6da8c4038709bd544d1b927.jpg

7645ca52700903b7fdefe98ccd300ef9.jpg

f702a9c4947a126232a2be02b7c81b70.jpg

Oh, Flaxen - I'm so excited for you! I know that this deck sold out in a week, so you were lucky to get a hold of it. And its been consecrated and anointed with holy oil and all. Very cool! I love Benebell, she is such a force of nature! Such an authentic and generous woman. Are you planning on reading with this or will you mainly be doing ritual work (or the type of work she suggests that you do with it) ?

Flaxen[/member] it's also photogenic!  :) Or at least I've yet to see a pic in which SK didn't look amazing to me. That said, I actually liked it even better once I had it in hand than I did on screen. There's a slight warmth to the white that really enhances it, I think. And although I'd seen all the cards laid out online, it was good to get to shuffle and see them in different combinations.

This is not a deck with a lot of directionality; in all but a few cards figures face out toward the reader, but since this was a deck she created specifically for invocation and evocation, that makes the most sense for her intention.

I noticed that in addition to the Golden Dawn astrological correspondences at the top, she's slipped some other astrology into the art to good effect... the South Node on the Devil, for instance.  astro.com describes it as a comfortable but often limiting place of unexamined habits, one we grow beyond when we make active decisions to reach our potential.

And you're right about production values; I keep standing the bottom of the box up so I can look at the art inside while I work with the deck.

Random question. Until this year I'd never owned a deck with gold foil edges. Do they tend to hold up well, or should I just expect eventual chipping as a sign of love and use?

Are you planning on reading with this or will you mainly be doing ritual work (or the type of work she suggests that you do with it) ?

I haven’t decided yet but I think I’d like to keep it for ritual work. I might use it for my lunar work but need to think about it...

Flaxen[/member] it's also photogenic!  :) Or at least I've yet to see a pic in which SK didn't look amazing to me. That said, I actually liked it even better once I had it in hand than I did on screen. There's a slight warmth to the white that really enhances it, I think. And although I'd seen all the cards laid out online, it was good to get to shuffle and see them in different combinations.

This is not a deck with a lot of directionality; in all but a few cards figures face out toward the reader, but since this was a deck she created specifically for invocation and evocation, that makes the most sense for her intention.

I noticed that in addition to the Golden Dawn astrological correspondences at the top, she's slipped some modern astrology into the art to good effect... the Southern Node on the Devil, for instance.  astro.com describes it as a comfortable but often limiting place of unexamined habits, one we grow beyond when we make active decisions to reach our potential.

And you're right about production values; I keep standing the bottom of the box up so I can look at the art inside while I work with the deck.

Random question. Until this year I'd never owned a deck with gold foil edges. Do they tend to hold up well, or should I just expect eventual chipping as a sign of love and use?

I’ve got a few decks with gilded edges and so far I’ve had no issues with them. I do use my decks on rotation though so none of them get worn out.

That’s fascinating about the Southern Node on the Devil - I love Little touches like that. So much thought has gone into it - it’s slightly intimidating!

That is such a gorgeous deck, Flaxen. I'm envious, but I'm also kind of glad it's unavailable at the moment so I don't have to try to talk myself out of buying it.  ;D

Are you planning on reading with this or will you mainly be doing ritual work (or the type of work she suggests that you do with it) ?

I haven’t decided yet but I think I’d like to keep it for ritual work. I might use it for my lunar work but need to think about it...

Isn't Lunar work ritual work? ~giggles~ .... you do see where I am going with this right?  X-D

Isn't Lunar work ritual work? ~giggles~ .... you do see where I am going with this right?  X-D

X-D X-D <3

Saturn Celeste

Of course, it is THAT deck! The one where the minors can be laid out together to form a complete scenario. Yes, it’s the Prisma Visions tarot! I’ve been wanting this deck for quite some time. It has such a unique vibe and I just love the color scheme!! (And I must say that it is even more beautiful in person!)

Oh you bought the deck!!  I want it so badly!!!  Yay you!!  <3

I feel so bad :-[, but I just opened the Falnama Oracle as a Christmas gift, and MAN it is UGLY.  The good news is that I received about 4 or 5 other deck which were nice.

I feel so bad :-[, but I just opened the Falnama Oracle as a Christmas gift, and MAN it is UGLY.  The good news is that I received about 4 or 5 other deck which were nice.

Emilija! Sorry about the deck but I’m really glad to see you!  ((

Emilija! Sorry about the deck but I’m really glad to see you!  ((

Thanks for the hugs!

Just unboxed my Luna Sol deck. I love them, flexible silk/matt stock. They shuffle easily

They feel very friendly somehow. I've included an image including the back. I bought them on Amazon UK and the cardboard tuck box they came in was a little damaged,  but I've contacted the publisher Liminal, who have been very fast to reply and who are sending a free bag for them. If you buy direct from them the bag is included.

LWB is not bad. Colour cover, single page for the majors with B&W image and basic info for the minors, plus a couple of spreads.

I just really like how they feel and love the imagery too

20181228_130338.jpg.db84803d2d277aeeba97030a9b5dfd29.jpg

Queen of Nothing

I got the Tarot of the Lucid Slumber. I backed it on Kickstarter and I'm so glad its finally here after the development hell it went through. Its kinda small (2.5" × 4"), but fits very comfortably in my hands. The watercolor artwork is full of fairytale whimsy and cuteness, I love it. I adore the Fool card, which is honestly the one that got me to back the deck, and The Fool is never my favorite card. The LWB is interesting in that it gives key words for the suits, and keywords for the denominations, and you have to match them up for the card you got.

I wanted the Mesquite to be the first deck I worked with this year, (I'm taking a brief break this week while I structure my tarot plans) but I'm seriously reconsidering right now 😥

Rose Lalonde
The LWB is interesting in that it gives key words for the suits, and keywords for the denominations, and you have to match them up for the card you got.
Nice. Tarosophy talked about doing that as a way to get a quick but clear sense of a deck and where a particular card fits within the deck as a whole.

Glad you're enjoying the deck after so long a wait!  :)

Just unboxed the True Black.

HAHAHAHAHAHA- that is the universe laughing right there.

Initial thoughts- it was beautifully packaged. I actually wanted one with the misspelled Hierophant/Heirophant as it seems to give the deck character.

I pulled out the box and it is well made. The deck itself is a brick. I normally have a rule that if I cannot riffle shuffle a deck, I don't keep it. I had to break this down into 4 stacks to riffle it and then do some hand over hand work.

Not fun.

Then I read with it- and oh my! It is a very lovely deck. First of all- it is just gorgeous- probably the most beautiful deck I have ever read with. I have no idea how he was able to achieve the coloration and light play on these cards but they are visually stunning.

Secondly- it reads extremely well. I know it is RWS based- but still, some decks are elusive while others are more transparent- this is the latter.

Third- it was a powerhouse of a reading as I basically said "You have one shot, 3 cards, show me what ya got" and well, it did. I don't get that often with new decks- this one was on point first shot. Sometimes I get a big cluster of nothing- that wasn't this deck (looking at you Ostara).

So, I will definitely be keeping it- and likely using it quite a bit. This may be my main RWS type deck as a go-to. I will have to work with it more to make sure- but so far this is pretty spot on. Having a similar reaction to it that I had to the Seventh Sphere Marseille which was my dream deck.

For everyone waiting for the non-error deck, it is a gem. Worth it. Grab it. I like the one with the error- but that's just me. If you figure out a better way to shuffle it let me know. Amazing deck!

Queen of Nothing

I GOT MY CHILDREN OF LITHA!!!

It comes wrapped in black tissue paper and mine came tied with a purple ribbon with a quarts crystal charm tied into the bow (so cute). The box is gorgeous and sturdy, and it's been signed and numbered on the inside. There's a little poem on the inside of the cover, and it's so beautiful. The booklet fits nicely inside. There's a little avatar of each card with a lovely poem under it, and a more insightful little brief on the card's meaning and offers keywords. As for the cards themselves, they are quite thin but sturdy. The gold edging is just like that of the Anima Mundi (super smooth and reflective and SHINY). The cards are super matte, and I love them. You guys, I'm so excited its here!

The poems remind me of the verse in Child of Light, tbh, and I love it. And holding the deck and flipping through it, it really reminds me of that dark yet hopeful fairy tale tone and whimsy in Child of Light. Like, the artwork is not the same at all, but it really makes me think of that game, and I love it.