Do you read for teenagers?

Saturn Celeste

Saturn Celeste

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=78538

by moderndayruth

I found this discussion really interesting and thought it might fit in nicely with our forum.

I have two cousins, 13 and 14 years old who are "enchanted" by Tarot, they've been watching me reading for their mother and her friends since they were babies; i never felt before it was ok to read for them... untill the last night. I let them drow one card each (thanks God, it was 2 of pent and 5 of cups ), but i was wandering... Goodness, what if the Devil came out? I mean, i would manage somehow, i would "adjust" the meaning to their age and situation, the kids love the cards, it's more about me actually... I'd love to hear other people expereinces, ie.:

Do you read for teenagers? If yes, which decks do you use? Which spreads do use?...

Good question. In all my reading life, however, I've never had this come up. But I mostly do face-to-face, so there is that. I'm trying more on-line work now and have a disclaimer. It is, I suppose, an ethical question, but anyone giving spiritual advice on certain issues might need to consider this.

It's an interesting question, but a bit theoretical on my side; with distance and thinking about this topic, I would say it's likely better to avoid to read for them. I don't think teenagers aren't mature enough to understand the Tarot, but too impressionable. Otherwise, I'm wondering if a reader would say something to a teenager that isn't to the taste of their parents if they will not have problems with them.

And adolescence is such a complicated age!
Just my 2 cents here though.

Edited by Decan

Some teenagers are quite brilliant readers. Some adults don't get it at all, and are in no way mature enough to understand tarot. I run on a case by case basis. Some adults I won't read for. One pre-schooler as she then was was a whiz with card meanings - unstudied, but she would get them"by the book" every time. I gave he a deck - her mother said it was OK.

If I were ever to read at an event, I'd stick t .o 18+ for legal safety, but otherwise, I don't discriminate. I don't think you can generalise like that.

It's case by case for me, too.
I've never gotten in trouble, but I think a parent could make trouble if they wanted to: if the kid used their bank card, or if they vehemently opposed card reading. For commercial readings that are not face to face, a simple disclaimer should be enough: "Must be 18 or over". That way, if there's trouble, it should be on them. I don't think it's as strictly enforced as liquor laws are. Store clerks are often told they have to card everybody who purchases alcohol, and they take flak and sometimes abuse for that. (They get yelled at a lot. I saw a girl start crying once when an old man kept asking her "How old do I look?") But I've never heard of readers carding people. We don't have a cartomantic equivalent of this: https://www.tabc.texas.gov/

It's a bit of a gray area. And in a lot of ways it's moot, since teenagers generally don't spend that kind of money on readings. Face to face, I've only had to make that decision when my own kids were teenagers and their friends were hanging around the house. On rare occasions, I'd do quick freebie demo readings just to show how it works. But only if I knew their parents were OK.

As far as their maturity level goes, their questions were mostly concerned with romance and money so that was a nonissue. It didn't ever really get deep. And TBH, most adults ask about the same things.

Yeah, to see this situation case by case is likely the wiser option!

For me it's a little theoretical, it's the reason why I don't show much flexibility; real life experience brings that I think (flexibility I mean).

Otherwise concerning parents, it reminds me something we hear at times these days about teachers who can have a challenging communication with teenagers at school, and then the parents come to strike the teacher (there was as well a case when it was the whole family who came to ill-treat the teacher, but it must be rare).

The fortune-teller isn't in danger I guess, or not that way, I hope!

Edited by Decan

Natural Mystic Guide

Of course, the caveat being that it is with their parent's knowledge and approval.  I read for children, too.  I remember a reading a did for a young boy -- maybe about 8 years old.  His questions, and what came out in the reading was profound.  Some young people are old souls.

On 5/17/2023 at 2:16 AM, Natural Mystic Guide said:

Of course, the caveat being that it is with their parent's knowledge and approval.  I read for children, too.  I remember a reading a did for a young boy -- maybe about 8 years old.  His questions, and what came out in the reading was profound.  Some young people are old souls.

Yes, I've found that parents have brought their kids or teens for a reading when the young person expressed interest. Sometimes the parent sits in. Other times gives privacy.