what does your collection say about YOU!

Saturn Celeste

Saturn Celeste

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=65383

by shadowdancer

Oh this is a really interesting topic! I can't wait to see what everyone has to say about this!

We are in the main all readers here of cards, and probably use one deck at time (sometimes two) and get a lot of good information.

How about, looking at our own collection, and thinking about what it says about us individually, but as a collection? Does it show aspects of our personality or character? I will start off saying what I think mine says about me. It would be cool for others to do the same, or perhaps (if they are feeling brave) listing 20 of their decks and asking somebody to summarise whatg they think they indicate of that person.

I have 60 decks now, and in the main they are RWS clones. I do have some from other parts of the world, such as Korea, Japan and Thailand which do follow this system, but have amazing colours and artwork. I think this indicates to me I like to follow a system, but have leaway to just look slightly either way of that particular system. I can be flexible, but not to the extent of being a total free spirit. Colour does mean a lot to me, and may indicate I do not like to have bland coverings on my walls at home. (Magnolia is turned away at the front door believe me!) Imagery without colour misses its meaning.

I have trimmed some decks which I think indicates I do not like distractions from something I am focussing on. If I actually equate this to when I am at work, I prefer working on my own away from a large office environment so that I can concentrate on the task at at hand. If it is not important I won't want to entertain it, and will go out of my way to avoid it.

My collection is housed in original boxes where possible, and then in bags. 40 of these are in one pine box in my bedroom with my spreadcloths over the top. I think this shows I like things to be in one place, where I know I can lay hands on them easily and quickly. The fact they take up a small amount of room by being housed like this, may indicate I don't like to rattle around in large areas, but prefer small and cosy instead. The fact they are covered could indicate I am a private person and do not like to reveal much of myself or my activities to others unless they are involved in the same activity.

THe other decks are in a separate box, which is used for a particular type of reading I do. I do compartmentalise, and this could indicate a personality trait. My work and home life are very different, and do not overlap. I never bring work home, and therefore have managed to keep the two separate.

My 20 decks to list:

Osho Zen

Tarot of Dreams

Druidcraft

Fey

Vargo

Gay

WItchy

Quest

Slumberland

Energy

Hanson Roberts

Robin Wood

Merryday

Arcus Arcanum

Old Path

New Vision

Cosmic

Gilded

Rose Knight

Medicine cards

Well, what do you think as an exercise? I could go on, but need to do some housework. I have listed 20 decks which do either get used a lot or are ones I am fond of.

Anybody else fancy having a look at what their 'collection' may say about them?

Davina

Oo, l'll bite. If anyone wants to look at my collection in my profile and share, please do. I'm actually really curious.

Right off the bat, I'll say I turn to indie decks over mass produced. This isn't a conscious choice, I was just looking over my list one day and noticed it. Even my TWU deck is from when it was still indie.

I would say both color and story are important to me. The fact that that the Prisma Visions tells a complete story in the suits had me immediately pressing add to cart. Britt's Third Eye Tarot is a modern, colorful deck that really hits every point for me.

I view tarot decks as a way to have 78 pieces of art with me and that influences my choices. If the art doesn't resonate with me personally, it won't make its way into my collection. In fact, a good barometer of if I'll purchase a deck and/or keep it is if I would hang the art on my wall.

I LOVE mythology, which is probably why Tarot of Delphi and the Minoan Tarot rank so high in my collection.

I can't think of anything else? What do you guys think when you see my list?

I think my collection says that I am pretty conscious and selective. I have a clear idea of what type of decks and readings I like to do and I am not aiming to have a broad selection. I want as few decks as possible while still feeling that I have plenty of really good ones to choose from. So its an interesting balance act!

Britt's Third Eye Tarot is a modern, colorful deck that really hits every point for me.

[...]

I LOVE mythology, which is probably why Tarot of Delphi and the Minoan Tarot rank so high in my collection.

I'm studying archeology and have a specific interest in the Minoans! Can you tell me more about the Minoan Tarot please? :))

I also love Britt's Third Eye. :)

AJ-ish/Sharyn

early on a bottom feeder. Wait till a used deck came along at a price I could afford. After all, the hunt is part of the fun.

I'm returning the favor in the decks for sale forum, everything is $10.00

and I'm thinking about just doing them all as a group

The current me has boundaries, avoids mob mentality, seldom indulges in a new deck beyond a few kickstarters.

I cycle through all my decks one at a time each week.

So maybe they say I am a rigid person? Would common sense user be kinder? Whatever I've morphed into over the years, I do love my decks!

Britt's Third Eye Tarot is a modern, colorful deck that really hits every point for me.

[...]

I'm studying archeology and have a specific interest in the Minoans! Can you tell me more about the Minoan Tarot please? :))

I also love Britt's Third Eye. :)

I should hop on my computer to do this because I'm awful at formatting posts on mobile. Anyhow, here's the link https://www.darkgoddesstarot.com/minoan.htm .

It's by Ellen Lorenzi-Prince, creator of the Dark Goddess Tarot. I absolutely LOVE it and should bring it out more often. It's system is connected to tarot, but also it's own.

Let me know if you pick it up!

I think mine clearly says that I can be all over the map and possibly suffer from Tarot deck attention deficit syndrome  :biggrin:, though there is a clear pattern of having slowed down in the deck acquisition as most of them are older decks.  It also shows I like some of the finer things in life and really appreciate them (the MRP decks).

Mine says three things - a. That I haven't been practising tarot long enough to have emassed anything approaching a collection, b. That I'm actually rather picky about decks and spend ages deliberating whether the deck is going to be right for me, and c. That nature influences me heavily (all my decks have a lot of nature in them)

Sent from my Nokia 1 using Tapatalk