FoolishEevee

Tea Time

This place is called Tarot, Tea, and Me and yet we don't have a single thread on tea?! I couldn't find a post on it so I thought I'd make one :o

I personally love green and oolong hot tea ^^ Jasmine being my main go to tea. I used to drink Twinings Earl Gray with honey but since finding a local tea shop near me, I've become a total loose leaf tea snob haha :P

What (if any) kinds of tea do you guys like to drink? Do you prefer it hot or cold? In a mug, a glass with ice, or do you have a teapot? Just thought it'd be fun to have a tea discussion here :3

Earl Grey and also Numi Rooibos Chai.

And when I can get it) Jackson's Orange Spiced - which only seems to show up at Christmas these days :( ACTUALLY according to google it is no more :(  Celestial Seasonings version just ISN'T the same :(

But I can't get that excited about loose leaf tea vs bags.

Oh no D: I hope your Orange Spiced can return one day! Have you managed to find a replacement that's more similar than Celestial Seasonings? It sounds like it was good :( Maybe you can try Twinings 'Orange and Cinnamon Spice' or 'Honeybush, Mandarin & Orange'? Both of those are very tasty orange teas imo.

And I just prefer loose leaf tea myself :) I have no problem with other people drinking bags especially since it used to be the only thing I would drink xD

The Twinings one is all herbal, I think... Celestial Seasonings is OK but no cigar. There's a local tea merchant who make their own Christmas blend - that's good; I may stock up !

Forgot to mention Moroccan Mint. But some brands are just NOT minty enough ! Oddly one of the best is  Canadian supermarket own brand.

Maybe you'll find something minty enough :o have you tried getting mint and steeping it in your tea for added minty flavor? It might help!

Oh sure - that works - and the supermarket one is fine; so is one I buy whenever I'm in France. But there was a Tetley one which was frankly - tea.

Yaaaay! One of my favorite subjects! Tea!

As a matter of fact, I just received a shipment from "Upton Tea Imports" with some new teas. I got a fabulous orange pekoe from the Rukeri estate in Rwanda, it's got some spiciness to it as well as other dense flavors - described on the web site as a mahogany flavor - definitely a woodiness to it. I just love this one. Also a pekoe from Ceylon which is excellent as well, with a slight chocolaty flavor. And an Oolong style from Assam which has a sweetness to it along with the vegetal flavor I would expect from an Oolong.

So ... yeah ... I like tea. One of my all-time and constant favorites are the Lapsang Souchong teas. As well as Pu-er teas of which I have several right now. The Pu-ers are all "ripe" Pu-ers as I found that I didn't care for the raw ones near as much. I also have a couple of boxes of Pu-er teas in tea bags for when I need a quick cup but don't want to work with a compressed cake or brick.

And when I can get it) Jackson's Orange Spiced - which only seems to show up at Christmas these days :( ACTUALLY according to google it is no more :(  Celestial Seasonings version just ISN'T the same :(

There's usually not anything terribly wrong with tea bags. I just cringe at the idea of letting them steep too long. The finely broken leaves in the majority of tea bags steep very fast and can get to bitter for me in a very short time. However, there are some very good ones out there. As Gregory mentioned, Twinnings does make some good teas.

Oh, and about your orange-spice one. I checked on Upton Tea's site and found this; their Orange Spice Imperial. They describe it as "Generously scented black tea, with orange peel, vanilla bean, and a bit of clove." I have not tried this tea though, so I can't vouch for how much spice vs. orange there is. It is a loose-leaf tea though.

Rhinemaiden, I'm going to have to look for that Bigelow brand; I like citrusy blends (my favorite was Lemon Lift, but I can't find that one anymore).

My evening cup is Mighty Leaf's Chamomile Citrus.

Oh, and about your orange-spice one. I checked on Upton Tea's site and found this; their Orange Spice Imperial. They describe it as "Generously scented black tea, with orange peel, vanilla bean, and a bit of clove." I have not tried this tea though, so I can't vouch for how much spice vs. orange there is. It is a loose-leaf tea though.

No Cardamom... but still - sounds good. Proper PEEL, not "orange flavouring" :)

Ah the old Orange Pekoe thing. There is no such tea... :) It's a STAGE of tea leaf and means no dust. Just saying

In the tea industry, tea leaf grading is the process of evaluating products based on the quality and condition of the tea leaves themselves. The highest grades are referred to as "orange pekoe", and the lowest as "fannings" or "dust"

Twinings Earl Grey is DISGUSTING. The one for that is Clipper Organic. Incredibly, widely available in Tesco -but NOT in Canada.

Rhinemaiden, I'm going to have to look for that Bigelow brand; I like citrusy blends (my favorite was Lemon Lift, but I can't find that one anymore).

Amazon :)

at the risk of sounding very plebeian in my tea drinking... (don't drink coffee; only tea, mostly iced)... my basic tea is Lipton's... fridge tea.... 2 qts water, 3 regular tea bags, 2 decaf... into the fridge to steep... ready for a tall glass and lots of ice.... ah-h-h-h

BTW, I also love Bigelow Lemon Lift, and Earl Grey... other favorites were Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime and Red Zinger. 

No Cardamom... but still - sounds good. Proper PEEL, not "orange flavouring" :)

Ah the old Orange Pekoe thing. There is no such tea... :) It's a STAGE of tea leaf and means no dust. Just saying

In the tea industry, tea leaf grading is the process of evaluating products based on the quality and condition of the tea leaves themselves. The highest grades are referred to as "orange pekoe", and the lowest as "fannings" or "dust"

Twinings Earl Grey is DISGUSTING. The one for that is Clipper Organic. Incredibly, widely available in Tesco -but NOT in Canada.

Ah ... well, I generally don't do Earl Grey anyway. Upton always puts in a sample or two of tea with my orders, and they put in Early Grey about 2 years ago. I just finished it like 2 months ago. ::)

It took me quite a long time to learn some of the different grades of tea. As I understand it, the "orange pekoe" which Lipton and others are so proud to put on their labels, simply means the two newest leaves and a bud on the branch. Well, actually, one of those is the "pekoe" and the slightly newer leaf is the "orange pekoe" apparently. Then you get into "broken orange pekoe", "flowery orange pekoe" and so on. It actually gets quite fascinating. Wikipedia has an excellent article on Tea Leaf Grading. I have not been studying tea for nearly as long as I have Tarot ... ;) The history and details of tea are really fascinating. Here is an image that shows the basic tea leaf grades (it appears on several sites including Wikipedia, this one just loaded correctly);

black_tea_grading.jpg

Exactly - sorry for suggesting you didn't know. It's a GRADE, not a type ! But too many people do think it's a type, like Assam or Darjeeling.I assume you can get Darjeeling Orange Pekoe, yes ?

Oh my ! (I went a-googlng)

When told that his Captain Picard character would drink a lot of tea, Sir Patrick Stewart originally suggested that he drink Lapsang souchong, but the producers were afraid the audience wouldn't know what that was, so the character drank Earl Grey tea instead.

TEA! One of my favorite things. :) I am a true American in that I enjoy iced tea, but my spouse has me beaten far and away in that department. We have constantly rotating pitchers of iced tea in our fridge, made with Lipton decaf tea bags.

Hot tea, though, I drink all the time and all winter (and winter is a minimum of seven months where I live). My two constant must-haves are Twinings Mixed Berry (black tea, caffeinated, formerly called Four Red Fruits), and Twinings Wild Berries, which is herbal and decaf. Like others here, though, I find Twinings Earl Grey too bitter. I just recently discovered Harney & Sons Earl Grey Supreme, and that is wonderful - somehow, it doesn't get too bitter as it brews, and the taste is excellent.

I'm also a big fan of Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice and Bigelow's Constant Comment.

I love loose leaf tea, but I generally don't want to take the time to make it! So much fuss. I will get loose leaf at a coffee shop, though, when I can buy it and just have someone hand it to me. :D However, we do have some loose leaf teas that get pulled out on the weekends.

My favorite, favorite drink in the world is chai latte. I will drink regular chai black tea, but I much prefer it in latte form, and I'm a bit of a snob about it. :) Starbucks Tazo Chai is good. Not a fan of Oregon Chai. The best chai latte I've ever had is actually a homemade chai latte from a coffeeshop in Western Massachusetts. I was back there this summer and drank as many of their chai lattes as I could manage!

Oooooh chai is so tasty <3 My tea shop has this chai mix that's more delicious than hot chocolate! Wish I could ship some to you all! Glad you have some iced teas you enjoy GreenFaerie :3 and thanks for the fun fact gregory ^^

Oooooh chai is so tasty <3 My tea shop has this chai mix that's more delicious than hot chocolate! Wish I could ship some to you all!

I wish you could, too! Thank you for the lovely thought. <3

When told that his Captain Picard character would drink a lot of tea, Sir Patrick Stewart originally suggested that he drink Lapsang souchong, but the producers were afraid the audience wouldn't know what that was, so the character drank Earl Grey tea instead.

That is just wrong.... So very wrong  ;)

Tea!!! Wonderful, wonderful tea....

Surprisingly (not!!!) one can also have TAS and TAS at the same time (tea acquisition syndrome right along with tarot acquisition syndrome), especially once you find where the really good stuff is. It is a much cheaper acquisition syndrome that tarot, I must admit :)

My downfall started with a brand-new store called Teavana, back when they only had one store (the very first one in Atlanta, back before they transitioned into having truly hideous business practices worse than used-car salesmen). That blossomed into an unhealthy relationship with Jasmine Dragon Pearls, among others. Going in the store and taking wafts/samples of all those really good teas - single-source teas, blended flavored teas, white, red, green, black, aged, freshly picked the current year, ... it was wonderful.

Then the tea information & availability on the Internet just exploded. You could order directly from China, Taiwan, India, etc. And specialty tea companies like David's, and smaller folks - hobbyists who turn their passion into a business- like 52teas.com.

Ultimately, there was Steepster.com. A place for tea nerds to gather & share information and tasting notes. Do not go there is you have severe TAS.

Right now my favorite place to get tea is Teavivre.com. They are generous with samples (you even get to pick which ones you get). Their free shipping does take a while to get here, but it is worth it. If you like a traditional hot cup or cold glass of black tea, I would strongly recommend Fengqing Dragon Pearl Black Tea.

Gregory, check out Steepster.com. When you do a search for "Orange Spice" you get 143 hits to look through. And they also have a discussion area on the web page- if you ask for info on teas similar to the one you are looking for, or where to get that exact one, I am sure someone will have information / opinion to help out :)

Exactly - sorry for suggesting you didn't know. It's a GRADE, not a type ! But too many people do think it's a type, like Assam or Darjeeling.I assume you can get Darjeeling Orange Pekoe, yes ?

Oh no, Gregory! I didn't take your post badly in anyway. I was glad you mentioned it in fact. Caused me to go out and find even more information on tea grading. Tea is, to me, almost as fascinating a subject as Tarot is! ;D I am loving the discussion of it in all it's aspects!

And actually. I wanted to mention something else. A friend's wife does some tea sales out of her home. I had just purchased a 100g tuo cha of ripe pu-erh tea and a brick as well. She had a box of pu-erh tea bags and a tin of small packets of instant pu-erh that she gave me as kind of a bonus (I'd also bought 3 other packages of loos-leaf tea). I was a little skeptical. I mean the pu-erh in tea bags is one thing ... but INSTANT??? But, both were products of China, a country that definitely knows tea ... so I've tried them both. They are surprisingly good! The tea bags give a fairly good cup and can be used for more than one infusion. The instant is actually better as iced tea, putting about 1/2 a packet in a 500ml bottle of cold water comes out also surprisingly good.

I don't drink.....tea. I am strictly a coffee person and have been since I was 6 years old. But I LOVE the LORE of tea, so this is very interesting reading.

barb

Jumping in here...

I didnt read everything  totally ahead of me....skimmed it, so hope im a tad on topic...

I'm first generation Canadian, but my parents were British, so I been drinking tea since i was like 3 years old probably..lol

I love  strong black tea....Twinnings English Breakfast is good, and their Irish breakfast is excellent!!!  I also love the Yorkshire one...When i lived in the UK I loved the Typhoo tea, but over in Canada does not taste the same at all....blech :(

Murchies tea here in Canada had a not too bad tea, called "Tippy Gold Assam"....but they served it in paper cups and to stir with a wooden stick, and sometimes i think that made it taste gross!

PS/I love Chai tea, but not from a box... it has to be from an East Indian restaurant, or an East Indian friends home..the real deal...I myself have tried to make it, but dont get it close enough...

I'd have to agree with chowdmouse. That is just wrong! I also find it ironic. When TNG was going strong, the internet was already going strong, and finding information about any "odd" tea would be a piece of pu-er cake. ;D

It's also ironic because I first heard about Lapsang Souchong from the mini series and the book "Centennial" (Michener). One of the characters drank Lapsang Souchong and (especially in the book), the description intrigued me. We lived in Connecticut at the time and tea shops were actually fairly abundant. Sooooo .... off to the tea shop to discover the wonderful smokiness of a new tea! And, I probably would've been a bigger fan of Picard, if he drank Lapssang Souchong instead of Earl Grey (which I rarely drink).

Ah well ... to paraphrase the French; Tel est le thé ;)