The Mythic Tarot

sean3102

26 minutes ago, gregory said:

I got an answer from Eddison:

NOT my spelling !

I suspect a copyright issue; I SUSPECT Sharman-Burke and Caselli are protecting the nasty new one. I can't see Tricia objecting, so...

Yup, that definitely sounds like a copyright issue of some sort. Such a shame! 

1 hour ago, gregory said:

I got an answer from Eddison:

NOT my spelling !

I suspect a copyright issue; I SUSPECT Sharman-Burke and Caselli are protecting the nasty new one. I can't see Tricia objecting, so...

I woke up to a nice email from them as well, and basically said the same thing. I appreciate that they responded. 🙂 

She also noted that their International rights catalogue only lists potential projects, but projects that are in their UK Trade catalogue will be published.  Good to know. 

I know jack about copyright law, but it makes me wonder, wouldn't the New Mythic be infringing on the original, and not the other way around?  

Given what Tricia said at the time - I'd have thought so.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:16 PM, gregory said:

There were threads on AT:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=94933

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=238748

In that first thread - post 113 from Tricia - the original artist:

I'd really like to know why they made that decision too. I did the illustrations for The Mythic Tarot and no-one asked me for my permission to copy them for this new book. It's been really interesting reading all your comments about this, and if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have even known about the new book coming out. To say that I'm disappointed and disgusted is an understatement!

As far as I am concerned, that puts Sharman-Burke right in the frame. Caselli was just commissioned to redo the art. Sharman-Burke was part of the original, she probably knew Tricia hadn't been told, and could easily have told her anyway, just in case.. The stupid thing is - if this was for the money - she'd have done better to go for a reprint - more people wanted that than the far less appealing revamp.

18 hours ago, gregory said:

Given what Tricia said at the time - I'd have thought so.

As far as I am concerned, that puts Sharman-Burke right in the frame. Caselli was just commissioned to redo the art. Sharman-Burke was part of the original, she probably knew Tricia hadn't been told, and could easily have told her anyway, just in case.. The stupid thing is - if this was for the money - she'd have done better to go for a reprint - more people wanted that than the far less appealing revamp.

The whole situation is just bizarre. 

I'm sure there are loads of details we're not privy to, and I freely admit my curiosity is piqued.  

I have a friend who is an artist and her work is constantly stolen by huge companies.  The amount of money and energy she spends trying to keep on top of it, is disheartening.   

Good point about the money aspect.  I'd love to know how the New Mythic sales compare to the original (probably difficult to determine though, given how long Mythic sold for, unless the New is simply FLYING off the shelves 🙄 ) 

As silly as it may be, perhaps there were more personal, rather than business reasons, to change the art (ie a falling out, or some exec hates pencil crayons lol j/k).   I'm simply speculating, of course and probably way off base. 🙂 

I suppose we'll never know. 

The only thing we can do is keep asking for the original.  If they see people want to spend money on the original, hopefully they'll make it happen. 

Who actually owns the rights to Mythic?    

We do know that the new version came as a total surprise to Tricia who only found out about it when someone from AT got in touch. From what she said she has at least SOME rights over her own art. Sharman-Burke is in my view largely responsible for the shoddy treatment Tricia received, as she could easily have told Tricia and clearly didn't - and is undoubtedly profiting from the new edition. If we from AT were ably to find Tricia, anyone could have.

Edited by gregory