True Black Tarot

NoellaRoyce

I ordered the True Black Tarot many many months ago, and it just arrived!(this deck is why I'm not allowed to buy any other decks for a while) Kinda awed/feel a bit unworthy!

I'll post pictures later, but I'm genuinely blown away by how beautiful this deck is, and the quality of the cardstock - they're *so thick* (supposedly 50% thicker than the average RW), and the use of foil and finish is really impressive. His painting skill is also incredible. They're breathtaking in-hand/more lovely than even the pictures make them out to be, and I can't wait to play with them more and just keep touching them.

Still, I'm reacting to the visuals at the moment/haven't read the book and am a novice reader; curious if anyone else pre-ordered the deck and what their thoughts are!

I backed his kickstarter aaaages ago and finally got my deck yesterday :D I was totally expecting to get it after Xmas seeing as I'm all the way over in NZ. But the courier arrived yesterday with a few parcels and I didn't realise what I was opening until I saw all the black packaging lol.

Arthur has done such an amazing job from start to finish. It's been the first (and so far only) time backing a project on kickstarter and he was completely transparent through the whole process, including about any problems that he came across in the process. Its definitely been a great experience and I would no doubt back another project of his :D

And the cards themselves... Oh holy moly they are breathtaking! I could gush about these cards forever lol

Let me see if I can find a pic... d73e1c27fecf7dcaebeb616a7d514e9f.jpg

I totally agree - mine came yesterday - together with a whacking fee - customs (fair enough) and Royal Mail fee for collecting the customs fee - TOTALLY criminal.

I wish Kickstarter would do as ebay US does and set up a system for mailing where the seller can add in the customs fees when paying postage. Till that day, my days backing Kickstarter decks are over, except when I can send them to Canada instead. The fees often double the price of the deck.

Is there a pdf on line ? I forget...

I backed his kickstarter aaaages ago and finally got my deck yesterday :D I was totally expecting to get it after Xmas seeing as I'm all the way over in NZ. But the courier arrived yesterday with a few parcels and I didn't realise what I was opening until I saw all the black packaging lol.

Arthur has done such an amazing job from start to finish. It's been the first (and so far only) time backing a project on kickstarter and he was completely transparent through the whole process, including about any problems that he came across in the process. Its definitely been a great experience and I would no doubt back another project of his :D

And the cards themselves... Oh holy moly they are breathtaking! I could gush about these cards forever lol

Let me see if I can find a pic... d73e1c27fecf7dcaebeb616a7d514e9f.jpg

Agreed I was also really impressed with how transparent and detailed he was in his updates!

THEY ARE SO INCREDIBLE. Last night I started reading the book while studying the cards and it's so thoughtful - I love how the foil patterns in the back are all something real and scientific that ties to the meaning of the card, like the marina trench for the high priestess. So unique. In your example pic I also love when he uses red! it just pops so beautifully on the black.

I totally agree - mine came yesterday - together with a whacking fee - customs (fair enough) and Royal Mail fee for collecting the customs fee - TOTALLY criminal.

I wish Kickstarter would do as ebay US does and set up a system for mailing where the seller can add in the customs fees when paying postage. Till that day, my days backing Kickstarter decks are over, except when I can send them to Canada instead. The fees often double the price of the deck.

Is there a pdf on line ? I forget...

Ugh I'm so sorry that does sound insanely inflated. That would be a lot easier, I'm surprised Kickstarter isn't set up for more international transactions for its creators! What do you mean by the PDF?

What do you think of the deck itself/like most about it?

Sorry if reviving this thread isn't great, but I'm so tempted to pre-order this -- I know he still has a huge backlog of preorders waiting on the correct spelling for the Hierophant. How are everyone's experiences been with the deck, for those who own it? Any cards that you just can't get? It's my birthday month next month so I thought about splurging on this.

Sorry if reviving this thread isn't great, but I'm so tempted to pre-order this -- I know he still has a huge backlog of preorders waiting on the correct spelling for the Hierophant. How are everyone's experiences been with the deck, for those who own it? Any cards that you just can't get? It's my birthday month next month so I thought about splurging on this.

I'm still in love with my deck :D it's the first (and lately only) deck that I reach for. So far I haven't had any problems with not getting any cards, but in saying that I never had much of an issue with that in the first place

I still absolutely love it. Cards that I "don't get" never worry me - I know they will reveal themselves over time.

I /love/ this attitude. I've seen walk throughs and I'm just a little afraid of how he uses Fire in the Swords suit, and Birds in the Wands suit, even though he actually attributes fire to the wands.

Thanks TheFeeLion[/member] for the input!!! I've placed an order with Arthur, but it's been a few days since I sent him an email requesting for the typo deck. I'll sit tight for a bit before sending him another; I believe he's still busy creating the new batch without the typo.

I still absolutely love it. Cards that I "don't get" never worry me - I know they will reveal themselves over time.

I /love/ this attitude. I've seen walk throughs and I'm just a little afraid of how he uses Fire in the Swords suit, and Birds in the Wands suit, even though he actually attributes fire to the wands.

Thanks TheFeeLion[/member] for the input!!! I've placed an order with Arthur, but it's been a few days since I sent him an email requesting for the typo deck. I'll sit tight for a bit before sending him another; I believe he's still busy creating the new batch without the typo.

Yes, he's still trying to sort out the the reprint. It's at the finishers right now. There's a couple of public updates on his kickstarter page if you're interested

I think patience is key at the moment, but this deck is definitely worth the wait!

Oh, and happy birth month! :D

Yes, he's still trying to sort out the the reprint. It's at the finishers right now. There's a couple of public updates on his kickstarter page if you're interested

I think patience is key at the moment, but this deck is definitely worth the wait!

Oh, and happy birth month! :D

Thank you <3 I've received the deck and I'm in love with it!! Still learning how to shuffle with it -- I think one thing that people often do not mention is that the little black book that comes with it is PHENOMENAL. It really explains the details into why he drew the images the way they are.

Oh yeah the book is great! I think he might possibly do an art book type thing where he can go into more detail about his symbol choices and stuff *gasp* I really hope he does! It would definitely be worth it. Even just reading what he had to say about each card as he released the artwork was enlightening. He wasn't able to fit in as much detail as he wanted to about each card because of the small size of the book. I already know that if he does go ahead with a more in depth version I will be in there backing it as soon as I know about it :D

As far as shuffling goes... Yes it does take a bit of practice to get the hang of shuffling with it. I've found splitting the deck in two and using a lighter hand goes a long way. The cards seems to like having a cushion of air between them to aid shuffling so I usually either swirl them around in a big messy pool in front of me and/or blow on the edge of the deck to get the air cushion. Hope that helps :)

I saw this deck on Kickstarter! It’s so gorgeous and definitely a deck that I can’t afford. Maybe one day if there’s a second printing or something...