Spirit communication using the tarot

Lee3

Apologies if this is already a thread however I have looked through and can’t see anyth8ng on the subject.

This is not something I have attempted yet , actually that’s a lie I have used a spread called the “hello from heaven” to communicate with departed loved ones , But I was thinking more on location ghost hunts .

I have been on many organised hunts to many haunted locations across the U.K. over the past 5 years  and the usual techniques have been used. Some to great effect oon some locations some not so effective at others , however it has always been similar tools and ways of communication , obviously I am are these are tried and tested and bring good results but it has got me thinking about using the tarot on location once that connection has been made or feeling has been sensed , I think it could possibly bring A greater insight into the spirit and what they are feeling , experiencing or searching for . Once I am more familiar with the cards and not having to rely on looking some of the cards up for interpretation I think I will attempt this , the way the hunts usually run is you get a few hours of free time to conduct your own vigils, explore the building or whatever you like so I. Hoping to use this time in my next one to explore with the cards .

Does anyone have any experience with this or recommendations on spreads ? Or is this actually common practice that I just haven’t encountered yet. It would be great to know your thoughts or experiences.

DarkElectric

Hi Lee3,

This is an interesting topic.

I live in a haunted building. It's over 100 years old, was formerly a  very large school, and was built on land which was allocated to the School Department after it ceased to be used as the city execution grounds. (Yeeeek!)

There have been many, many spirit manifestations here, some  can be clearly visible, others make their presence known  in other ways. My flat is warded, because frankly, I was becoming quite disconcerted, with "visitors" drifting through here whenever they felt like it. One of them used to  come by at night, and sit  down on my bed, which would wake me out of a sound sleep. That freaked me out.  I do spiritual workings, too,  which tends to attract them, so I ward, shield, and ward some more. I've never considered using the cards to make contact, though, and  I surmise that it could work.  Now I'm intrigued and want to give it a try. I could go out into the building, where they roam with impunity, and devise a spread to see if I could facilitate contact that way. I have  strong mediumistic tendencies, but no formal training, and have had experiences with trance contact, although  in most cases I'm thouroughly unprepared for it, and off I go, into trance, hoping someone is writing it all down, or recording it. I'm better at protecting myself now, from unintended overtakings.  If you take your cards along on a hunt, and get results, perhaps we could compare notes on the experiences?

I'm fascinated by ghost hunting.  What methods have you used?  What have you discovered?

All the best,

DE

Hi Lee3[/member] ^-^ Having just recently had an interesting experience with Tarot, I thought I would share - maybe it could help you with your query!

I’ve never seen a ghost, that’s not a skill/gift I have, but these holidays I had a new experience! I was falling asleep when I heard 3 knocks on my door. It was pretty late, but I was at my parent’s new place for the holidays, so I thought one of them might be needing some sort of admin thing. When no-one came in, I went to check, and the corridor was empty. I thought maybe they had assumed I was asleep and had left, so I just went back to bed. Just as I was falling asleep, again, three knocks. So now I was fully awake. It felt odd, both scared and sad (which put me on edge). I scribbled a few symbols of protection on the door frame, and then myself just in case, and then hopped into bed and tried to go back to sleep.

But it wasn’t happening. So I pulled out the cards, asked them if there was something I should know (If I had pulled the Tower or Death card I probably would not have slept at all X-D). I pulled the 9 of Pents, which I usually feel is comforting, but it felt rather alien and alone, so I pulled a second card and got the 6 of Swords. A lone woman, and the ferryman. Any other reading, if they were in some other order or with other cards I would have said I was imagining things, but together?

I didn’t ask any direct questions because, quite frankly, it was late, I had been kept from sleep twice, and in my experience if I directly engage with not so nice energy before I sleep, I sleep walk my way into trouble. I had also just broken my toe 2 nights before.... so I was not about to encourage that sort of behaviour haha! Anyways I asked my mom the next morning if there had been a death in the house (it’s over 120 years old) and she told me a woman died in the house sometime in the 70s; she had been “the spinster aunt”, and the family sold the house shortly afterwards to the owner who lived there before my parents.

It was probably just some remnants of lonely energy, it didn’t seem or feel focused, poor lady! I’d say that if the cards you pull are meaningless or seem frivolous then there’s probably nothing there, but if they seem wrong/ unknown/ have imagery related to the history of the property or person, then they could be indicting the influence of something else. :thumbsup:

TLDR version: I’d say pulling a card or two if something feels off is a good idea, and just see what cards feel alien to you. If it doesn’t vibe like it usually does, then maybe that’s a different (dead) person’s interpretation of that card? But I had an indication something was off before I read, and that had come when I was semi conscious, so I’m not sure what the protocol would be for ghost hunting with Tarot when you’re fully awake. I’d be fascinated to see what works though - I must try get in on these organised U.K. hunts, they sound interesting! :biggrin:

DarkElectric[/member] Faye[/member]  Great experiences to the both of you. I would be very interested in your findings , I feel it would be a more gentle open approach , I understand  direct questions and yes no answers are all to prove that there is a presence however after so many hunts and seeing this in action when the hosts or guests finally get a response  it’s only a few minutes of questions and yes no responses before I feel that the speaker or people operating the Ouija board are kind of stuck and don’t really know what to ask, kind of like if your WiFi goes down for days and you finally get google back , you ask but sometimes just for the sake of it . I just thought it could bring a new dynamic to a communication .

I visited Pendle hill on a hunt , maybe this would of been a good place to use them , something familiar for the witches 😀.

There’s a lot of organised ghost hunts available and they have access to some great buildings . Maybe we could all have a TT and M group hunt somewhere central , their usual costs are 40 to 90 £ and run all through the night.

I will share my one experience that to me was a great leap to proof , to others on the hunt maybe not but as I know myself and my boundaries this is not something that I would openley express .

A bit of background to explain , when I’m in a group of people I will do everything possible to fade into the background , at parties I’m the one in the kitchen and always keep my personal space. I hate the attention on me .

So during a technique they called human pendulum I was in the middle of a circle and the mediums were asking questions of the spirits. Leaning forward for yes backwards for no , I felt the pull however could be explained as gravitational forces , Standing still in one spot is not somethinthing as normal as it sounds so slight swaying is expected , but right there and then I burst into uncontrollable tears and complete sadness , I was expressing the emotion although I was aware as it wasn’t my own because when asked if I was ok I could laugh it off and say I felt completely fine . After the event the medium told me that she noticed a presence with me at the start of the event. She believed it was a presence of one of the mediums who often follows him and has a very sad story to his death, she explained the person who had lost their life was not ready but couldn’t find any other way out , this is the emotion I felt. Complete despair , she said he felt drawn to me as a vessel.  My life at the time was 100% fine. No personal issues to cloud my emotion , for me that was proof. I would never cry and draw attention to my self purposely. I cringe at that thought still 😀

That sounds like a great idea Lee3[/member] (cough cough especially once I get a permanent income haha) :)) I’m down to do a TT&M group hunt for sure - even if we don’t find a wee ghosty, it’ll be great to chat Tarot with other keen minds! Plus I’m really interested to see what responses and vibes come through :thumbsup: Tarot would provide a more interesting and varied form of communication if something feels chatty - I can see how one could get stuck after the sole use of yes/no questions!

And your experience must have been so jarring, especially having not experienced something like that before!! You were picking up vibes for sure - when you feel it, you feel it (and going with your gut is so important).

Although I had a tiny chuckle that someone brought along their own ghost, y’know, just in case ;)

Maybe suits of cards could be an indicator , something too coincidental to be randomly drawn .

Illlook for a location to goon soon and try it out

Oooh, love this! I’ve often used tarot for ‘contact’ with the other side. (So I just HAD to get Lisa Hunt’s Ghosts & Spirits, & Davide Corsi’s Ghost Tarot. Oh, & UFO Tarot but that’s another story.) Davide Corsi’s is a bit dark, & I mean pigment wise dark, so it’s difficult for me. Anyway, each reading is personal so it’s hard to give any specific examples, just that I know it was them. But for one person in particular, I always get the Magician, relating to him, as confirmation for me. He died in 2000 & that was when I was using the Gilded a lot, he looked JUST like the Mag in that deck, but the Mag then carried over into other decks as well. Very odd & comforting. Did anyone here know Bill Roth on Drums? I’ve never asked them to describe their surroundings & circumstance...hmm...

DarkElectric

Oh, Lee,  I'd advise caution, trying to contact spirits on Pendle Hill, you might get so much more than you bargained for, and no mistake! If you do  it, please make sure you have adequate protection. Even go overboard on the protection, I would say, and do make sure you eat something first!

Ghosts are drawn towards people who are receptive, because so many people aren't,and they're desperate to make contact. Imagine being in the same place for what seems like forever ( I imagine time is perceived differently on that side of things,)  shouting at everyone who comes by, and being unheard? When someone finally hears you, you'll flood them.  Being overtaken by a frantic spirit is an unpleasant experience.  Quite.

I'll never forget the time it happened to me. It was about 10 years ago. A friend had recommended me to a woman she knew, who was looking to have a reading done. The woman called me, set up an appointment, and over to her house I went. I  hadn't had  anything to eat since breakfast, and my stomach was empty, but I figured I'd grab a bite after the reading was over. It was just a  30 minute tarot reading, right? 

There was something distinctly odd about the feel of the place. It was a small, tidy house, but there was a lingering pall hanging over it. When I arrived,  the woman ushered me in through the side door.  I got barely a glimpse of  one of the other rooms, but the hallway felt cold. This in the middle of the summer, and no AC was running. She dashed me  into the kitchen, where 3 other people were  hanging about; A 20something  woman, a grannie,  and a middle aged man.  This was perplexing, seeing as I had been contracted to do  one reading only, and here was an audience.

The woman was gushing on about how she had heard such good things about me, bla, bla. I thought that was nice of my friend to give me such good advance press,  but something about the woman's manner seemed  nervous, and she was a little bit too cheerful. The audience sat in stark silence.  At that moment I could relate to some poor goldfish, trapped in a bowl. She asked me if I minded the people gathered about,  should she ask them to leave. I'm a festival reader, other people around don't bother me, so I told her it was ok, as long as they were quiet, and didn't interrupt the reading. 

The client sat down, and the reading commenced.

The cards which came out were astonishing. I cannot remember exactly  what all of them were now, but  some of them I do recall: The Tower. The 10 of Swords. The 5 of Cups. The Queen of Swords. The 7 of Swords.

As I began to  interpret the cards, I got the unmistakable feeling of a presence, behind me, to my left, and felt a hand grasp my shoulder. I whirled round, no one was there, but I saw a man's cap hanging on a peg, something I hadn't noticed before. It appeared to be glowing. I turned back to the woman, and was able to gasp out, "There's someone here, they need to speak..." before the spirit hijacked me. Literally took me over. When I go into trance, whatever messages come through are not meant for me, and I don't remember them. It's like  I become a microphone for whomever is trying to make contact .  And this one had a lot to say.  It was the former owner of the cap. Surprise.

When I finally came around, 20 minutes later, the young woman was sobbing. The grannie  had her arms around her, giving comfort. The middle aged man had gone, and the woman, for whom I had done the initial reading, was sitting there, white faced and grim.  The room was spinning. I was dizzy, I had a headache, everything looked way too dark, and I felt like I was going to sick up. I looked at the client, and asked , "What was this all about?  What happened here? Why did you do this to me,  I'm ill now, I haven't eaten. An explanation is in order here."

The shamefaced client admitted that she had been experiencing something she thought was a spirit manifestation, because the lights in the house had been flashing off and on for no apparent reason, doors slammed by themselves,  she heard  knocking and footsteps in the middle of the night, etc, starting right after her husband had unexpectedly dropped dead in the house, two weeks before.

I was gobsmacked. She didn't inform me  of this, prior to her reading. I inquired as to why she didn't  mention this important detail, and she said, "I wanted to test you, to make sure you were genuine".  I was pretty angry about that which I correctly perceived as reader abuse, but I tried to maintain calm, and said, "Right. I do hope you're satisfied." To which she replied "Oh yes..."  ::)

The grannie, seeing my obvious discomfort had rummaged in her purse, and dug out  a packet of  peanut butter and cheddar snacks, which I thankfully accepted. The  client made me a cup of tea, which I would have been extremely grateful for, if it hadn't been some of some of the most horrible tea I've ever had.  While I was reviving, the client  told the tale.

Her husband, a man in his late 40's, had been  a tradesman. He had come home for lunch in the middle of the day, one of the guys on the job had dropped him off at home, and was going to collect him  an hour later.  The poor man dropped dead without even finishing his sandwich. He'd had a massive heart attack, which had dropped him like a stone, and didn't even know what hit him.  (10 of Swords, Tower)  His mate returned to find him dead between the kitchen and the hallway. Chaos ensued.

My client was an instant widow, (Queen of Swords,) and  the lights had been going mad in the house ever since.  The members of the audience were  family members, except for the other man, whom  I mentioned before. Turns out he was the next door neighbour. (Why he was there, I hadn't a clue, but eventually all was revealed. ) The young woman, his daughter, had spiralled into depression, and was on the verge of quitting school, much to her mother's dismay. (5 of Cups)  She and the client hadn't been home when the  father had died, and he was desperate to say goodbye. The grannie was the client's mother. She was the only one who had the presence of mind to write things down, and she told me that the tradesman's ghost had given  loving encouragement to his daughter, who was struggling.  But to my client, he said  this: " I  had my suspicions, but now I know. I forgive you. "(7 of Swords)

The poor man had been desperate. For two weeks he had been trying to communicate. He began to interfere with the electrics in the house, because he  couldn't make contact. 

No one tried to explain further what those messages meant, and I didn't pry, because I wanted to get going, I'd had enough of the place, and could hardly wait to leave. The experience was dreadful.  I charged the client extra.  She paid without complaint. 

A month later, she called me again. She wanted another reading. "Can you read for two people at once?" She asked. I told her that in essence, I already had, but if she wanted to come to my building,  I'd do it.  ( I wasn't going to set foot in that house again.)

Lo and behold, she arrives with the neighbour man in tow, wanting a couple's reading.  They were getting married.  :o

The spirit energy in the house was gone. The departed had departed after I had.

That explained the message, oh yes indeed.  The reading was nondescript, I don't rememeber any of it.  They paid, and went. I never saw any of them again.

Expect the unexpected. Always eat something before Ghosting! And you might want to bring your own tea.

Intense Tarot

DarkElectric[/member] makes a really good point about eating-it is important to not mess with spirits on an empty stomach (the kind from the other side or the bottle teehee)

DarkElectric

It is important to not mess with spirits on an empty stomach (the kind from the other side or the bottle teehee)

Especially not from the bottle!  Alcoholic beverages  open one up to spirit contact,  makes  someone sensitive  already even more sensitive to it, and intensifies the experience.  There have been stories for as long as there have been stories, about drunks stumbling home after a night out, and encountering all manner of ghosties along the way! There's truth in that.

DarkElectric[/member] makes a really good point about eating-it is important to not mess with spirits on an empty stomach (the kind from the other side or the bottle teehee)

I full on guffawed at this one lol X-D

DarkElectric[/member] that’s an amazing experience, not very fun for you, to be fair... but it’s definitely worth remembering to have a meal before heading out on an adventure! The emotions you must have felt - second only to the horror of a bad cup of tea *shudders*

Intense Tarot

DarkElectric[/member] that's very true alcohol & other drugs can open one up to entity attachments so be careful folks  :thumbsup:

DarkElectric[/member] thank you for shArimg your experience it is remarkable , unfair to have to enter such a situation unaware of the anterior motives though ,

DarkElectric

It was terribly unfair, Lee3, you're absolutely right. But in retrospect,  she didn't turn out to be the most forthright sort of person, what with that business her ghostly husband informed us  about, and all. Nothing was what it seemed.  An unwelcome guest. A reading that was not just a reading. Tea that was not tea!  Faye, I think that was the  first,  and the worst horror. The rest was vaguely forgiveable. Life's too short to drink bad tea. Gah!

Edited to add: But here's the question which has formed, concerning my experience. Was the  spirit communication facilitated in  conjunction with the cards the client got in her reading? Or  was it merely a case of the spirit needing to communicate, and mediumistic me just happened to be the reader who was recommended, and the cards told the story, but didn't open the door to the  spirit communication? I'd be very interested to try  an actual experiment along the lines suggested in Lee3's initial post. Unfortunately, I can't meet up either. I'm too far away. (Very far. Wish I were not.)

Perhaps we can do sort of an individual experiment, all together, but each in our own respective places, and compare our results?

It was terribly unfair, Lee3, you're absolutely right. But in retrospect,  she didn't turn out to be the most forthright sort of person, what with that business her ghostly husband informed us  about, and all. Nothing was what it seemed.  An unwelcome guest. A reading that was not just a reading. Tea that was not tea!  Faye, I think that was the  first,  and the worst horror. The rest was vaguely forgiveable. Life's too short to drink bad tea. Gah!

Edited to add: But here's the question which has formed, concerning my experience. Was the  spirit communication facilitated in  conjunction with the cards the client got in her reading? Or  was it merely a case of the spirit needing to communicate, and mediumistic me just happened to be the reader who was recommended, and the cards told the story, but didn't open the door to the  spirit communication? I'd be very interested to try  an actual experiment along the lines suggested in Lee3's initial post. Unfortunately, I can't meet up either. I'm too far away. (Very far. Wish I were not.)

Perhaps we can do sort of an individual experiment, all together, but each in our own respective places, and compare our results?

This past Christmas I both broke my toe, and was given a very weak cup of *extra* milky tea - I think we both know which one made me feel worse :eek:

I’d be very interested in doing this, it’s a great idea! Though in my case it would be if anything strange happened before or after the reading... Mediumship is not on my spiritual resumé! If we do manage to organise a group hunt, maybe we can do a spot of spooky Skype?

I’m up for both of those ideas , unfortunately in my everyday life I don’t get to mix with likeminded people so group work would be a major step forward.

I’m up for both of those ideas , unfortunately in my everyday life I don’t get to mix with likeminded people so group work would be a major step forward.

Same!! It’s hard to bring it up in casual conversation :))

Maybe we should set a short task , as the newbie I don’t feel authorised enough, I’m not booked on any locations at the minute but I can work at home

Maybe we should set a short task , as the newbie I don’t feel authorised enough, I’m not booked on any locations at the minute but I can work at home

I’m game to try something, though tbh my current home is in a new development, so unless someone was naughty and shoved their friend under the foundations, I doubt I’ll get much lol :))

Which incidentally, I found out used to be quite a thing in Bolivia! Not so much anymore, but to appease the earth, Pachamama, human sacrifices used to be built into the building foundations to ensure safety from retribution and success of the project. Which is wild! I mean it makes sense, but not really my style :P Now, people use dried llamas, which still sucks because llamas are awesome and fluffy, but it’s better than actual people! Plus I do eat meat so I have no right to judge, it’s a bit like burying a sausage roll I guess ^-^ When I found out I looked at every building a little differently until I left though, haha :o especially the old ones! Ghost hunting there would be awesome.... but my Spanish is rusty, so communication might be tricky!

This sounds similar to what we would do at AT, what were we called? I’ve forgotten...anyway, we would ‘meet up’ at specific times (yes, it was sometimes difficult to do, given that there were people from all over the globe, different time zones) but a ghosty picture would be posted & we would chat about all the cool stuff we could see & feel in about it.

I remember the work groups on Aeclectic. Very interesting! I sometimes communicate with spirits during readings. I think they see that we are in an open and receiving mindset and jump in to be heard. I also have the oracle deck that was designed for spirit communication. I am having a senior moment right now and I can't remember the name. It starts with an X. (Sigh) It has cards such as Sister, Attic, and Water. The imagery is creepy. The deck works well, but it not necessary. Most decks will do.