Comparative Tarot 04: The Emperor

Rose Lalonde

Rose Lalonde

The Emperor

Please see the discussion thread if you'd like some background about the study group.

If you post about more than one deck, please add a separate post below for each to make it easier to index. You can write about the same deck someone else did.

As a visual start, here are the Noblet TdM, the RWS, and the Thoth. (You don't have to compare your deck with these, though, if you have another deck in mind.)

If you'd like to add a small image of the card you're discussing that would be great. If not we can google it.

Feedback on comments about this card are welcome here! For general questions and suggestions, please use the discussion thread.

1ucfywyg.tei.png

Green Witch Tarot

Medieval Cat Tarot

Tarot of the Hidden Realm

Victorian Fairy Tarot

This is the Emperor from the Rosetta. The coloring of the card is very similar to that of the Thoth Emperor, reflecting his fiery Aries nature. But, like the Rosetta Empress, he is much more human, less abstract. He faces front, looking a little to the side. Meleen notes his "somewhat puzzled expression," as he attempts to "tame nature." With the Mars connection, he is obviously a warrior, but here he is shown in his other role, as a peacetime ruler. He's very straight and square (probably in more ways than one). He rules the conscious realm and represents structure and order, perhaps to a fault, but he is the necessary complement to the Empress.

File_Aug_11_9_31_59_AM.jpg.15dbe445c3a86c984778d15df6144ef9.jpg

Here is the counterpart to the fairy empress - and he does look a little bit like Albert! One of the things I like about these two cards is that if you place them side by side, you actually get a picture of a whole room, with emperor and empress and their children. The emperor has children around him too, which I think is important - being a father (or a mentor, or a brother, or a teacher) is a kind of nurturing as well. One of the things that always strikes me about this card is that the emperor is about the long term, the big picture. The globe his daughter is resting on speaks of a wide view, and an understanding of the interconnectedness of the world. Whatever plans the Emperor makes will have an effect on others, and he knows that. He also plans for the future; his heir is standing next to him, and he is holding rolled-up plans in his own hands. He wants to leave a better world for those who come after him, and he understands that he holds that power.

Emperor_VFT.jpg.1b82052b8ef5a807624fecae1028c4bc.jpg

It took me a bit to warm up to this image of the Horned God, but the idea that did it for me was the realization that in this image, he is the protector of the forest. The animals are gathered around him with trust, and he treats them with compassion. He understands that they are all part of the same ecosystem, that they all rely on each other, and even when he has to take an animal in a hunt, he pauses to thank them for their sacrifice.

As the Horned God, he is also the consort of the Earth Mother, and the two of them perpetuate the fertility not only of human beings, but also of the earth itself. They must care for the earth and help sustain it, for only then will their children also be sustained.

Emperor_Horned_God_Green_Witch_Tarot.jpg.58eca4f4012a9c48241a5fac2c15ab0e.jpg

This Emperor is a much older man, and my immediate thought when I see him is always of wisdom. He has seen many things and perhaps has carefully built a kingdom for his family and those under his protection. He is someone you could go to for protection and advice, particularly in matters that might have long-term consequences. Ravens were sometimes shown with Odin, as his messengers, and in some native cultures a raven is the creator of the world. The raven is also associated with prophecy and protection (hence, the story of England falling if the ravens leave the Tower of London). The Emperor is long-sighted, careful, and protective; he will gladly take in anyone in need of his help and protection.

Emperor_TotHR.jpg.ef35c01d3d183d952e9f543c96a053ba.jpg

I was surprised to see that the Emperor in this deck was holding the same object found in the Thoth's Emperor card! After a bit of research, I found that it's called a Globus Cruciger and that it's a fairly logical item to add to a medieval portrayal of an Emperor...

Here is a link explaining its origin and use : http://www.ancient-symbols.com/symbols-directory/globus-cruciger.html

But basically ''It was adopted by powerful Christian rulers and made a part of royal regalia, symbolizing that the Emperor or King controlled the world on behalf of the Lord.'' (excerpt from the link above)

Other than that, it's a fairly conventional depiction of the Emperor, with him holding his staff, his throne right behind him and his clothes being red/orange.

91a3018208155dcaf12133cf24c6093d--chat-tarot-lenormand.jpg.ea09cb519c9003d260cd576508486f7a.jpg