Who else has a GRIMOIRE?

GreatDane

I have a blue journal I write things like rituals, intentions (what some might call spells), things to try.

Anyone else have something like that?

I've tried, and compiled 2 or 3 pages before I got discouraged by looking at all the gorgeous Grimoires on Pinterest, haha. Ack! Sooo many cool Grimoires out there. Plus since I'm a writer, I'm always at my computer, and tend to jot all things Magical down in electronic format, which is great for easy access, but not as fun and visual like a Grimoire.

I think you must show us a picture of yours! Creating a Grimoire is on my bucket list for sure.

Oh Day Soleil, it's nothing fancy!  I saw this faux blue leather embossed smallish journal, probably when I was in a Barnes and Noble many years ago. 

You know the adage about judging a book by it's cover ;)

I agree there are some cool witchy vintage-looking grimoires out and about, but for me it's just having my thoughts in one place.  And I'm old school...I don't trust my computer to save all writings. 

I do! I don’t work on it all the time, I have definite phases to it. I draw and write. The cover is plain black but it has blank really high quality paper inside and that’s what matter to me. It needs to be able to hold ink.

Raggydoll and River -

Raggydoll, oooh yes, how a page takes ink is super important.  Loves me some good paper!

River, I just like having a separate journal for separate things.  I have one that's kind of a daily journal, just stuff that's happened or I need to work on.  I know a grimoire sounds fancy or old, but I think of it as just a place for that side of my life.  A journal I can add change or add rituals, intentions.  I hope you find a journal you like for that  X/ 

Guest Night Shade

I don't exactly have a grimoire, but I do have a book where I write down Tarot spreads, crystal meanings, and various spells that I find in books or online. 

I think of that as a Grimoire, Night Shade! X/  Any dedicated journal or book you write things like that down, I think of as a Grimoire :)

I have been thinking of making a book exactly like that Night Shade[/member]! I'm not really sure where to begin though and @Raggydoll what you said about how the paper needs to be able to hold all the ink has me realizing that I don't really know anything at all about paper or cardstock or how to choose the right sort of journal for this type of thing.

Also — I always have great hopes of creating super inspiring Pinteresty Instagram-ready journals and planners and whatnot but I'm always strapped for creative inspiration and drawing ability, so I'd really love any tips you guys have on how to think about the design and art for this type of book.

My grimoire is a moleskin art journal that has a very basic but durable black cover. I don’t do any of those “old witchy looking” books anymore because I get to much of a perfectionist to actually write anything in them.

81AB32A4-DC74-4E5A-A17B-AF162A95114F.jpg.6c4d639355c356bf9eb2c1f3d6434db4.jpg

I won’t share any of my writings but I can share some of my sketches. This first one is a tribute to one of my favorite cards from the druidcraft tarot. I usually draw with an ink liner and I quite like to dotting technique as it’s a bit like meditation to me.

2841EEC4-B779-4D7F-B1C9-6EA903DEF2EE.jpg.7530d1db1aef8d393f81573f63cd9a59.jpg

This is a sketch I did of what was sitting in front of me on the table. It does not have to be anything more elaborate that than, not for me anyway. (It was a cup of black currant tea, should you wonder  ^-^)

D295ACBC-EBDD-41EF-A33D-E9601AB98603.jpg.1a96741dfe8d753c2b6716c53078831b.jpg

that is so gorgeous and inspiring! you're a regular georges seurat with this pointillism!! thank you for sharing. i'm going to have a cup of tea now :D

Saturn Celeste

This is a sketch I did of what was sitting in front of me on the table. It does not have to be anything more elaborate that than, not for me anyway. (It was a cup of black currant tea, should you wonder  ^-^)

?action=dlattach;attach=8806;image

I am such a fan of yours, Raggydoll!!  ((

I just wanted to add some thoughts on using pointillism and other techniques to illustrate your grimoire. I believe pointillism is an awesome method - even for those that can’t draw a straight line (because you won’t have to!  :))). One fun thing you can do is to use a template and mark faint lines with a graphite pen, and then do pointillism on top. I do this when I want to decorate a page with the lunar cycles, for instance. Here is one that has the dark moon in the center

8B35FD3F-4A70-443E-ADB7-B77CE48A88F0.jpg.f76ed1246c1390ebf36d2d6b98a16633.jpg

I also like to build upon that technique to add clouds, sky, creatures and so on. And while it might look complicated it’s still just a bunch of dots - spaced more tightly in certain areas to create shadow and contrast. Here is part of a sketch that I did

06CC8997-D8DC-4473-8E5E-52D949F222F2.jpg.3cee0ce0310245482274c7f54a3f211d.jpg

I believe still life sketches are perfect in a grimoire. And when they are black and white you get a special feel to them. Here I drew a candle holder below a poem that I wanted to save in my journal

DE449E56-1F04-4846-8CEB-BAAD53721173.jpg.e1464609c995ee695a4f0bedaa2712f6.jpg

I don’t always use pointillism though, because it is time consuming. I also like to use a very basic technique to just outline an object. It’s quick but fun and decorative. Here is a sage bundle that I drew in a very simplistic way

3FCA38CF-1BA4-460E-98D4-639216177C4D.jpg.4e3fd4d268187decd36b50a0a9cb01b6.jpg

And with a bit of added color I rendered some rosemary. Very simple but I like it. I don’t strive for perfection when I draw in my grimoire. It is a nice break from the attitude I have when I do my actual artwork (I lean towards photo-realistic drawings using graphite and charcoal)

BCB2D793-0C45-4708-9C8B-99365AE44DC3.jpg.1759f54e51e25c904aa3369629051f66.jpg