GreatDane

Who else has a GRIMOIRE?

Raggydoll

And sometimes I like to do very basic and colorful (almost cartoony) drawings. No shadows, nothing fancy but it gives a personal and whimsical feel to the page (I think)

So you see, I blend multiple techniques and styles in my book. And that kind of reflects my personality!

5D9493FB-4501-45EE-99CB-BFAE90A120CA.jpg.b73ab835d645ec3b40d33311ad890abc.jpg

BrightEye

Your sketches are great, Raggydoll!

I’m a prolific journal, notebook and sketchbook keeper but I wouldn’t call them grimoires. To me all types of creativity, from my academic work to my automatic drawings and everything in between, feel magical.

stephanelli

I don't call it a grimoire and I don't work magic (or at least I don't call it magic or think of our as magic) but it's pretty similar. It's actually a load of notes compiled together on Evernote which have things like my herbal recipes, candle making experiments, crystals and their purposes, things I currently use herbs for and such like and documenting my plans for the wheel of year festivals.

It's not pretty, bit it's functional.  It's still pretty new so perhaps when I've spent more time making our and worked out what is important to me I'll make a pretty version!

Sent from my Nokia 1 using Tapatalk

Raggydoll

I don't call it a grimoire and I don't work magic (or at least I don't call it magic or think of our as magic) but it's pretty similar. It's actually a load of notes compiled together on Evernote which have things like my herbal recipes, candle making experiments, crystals and their purposes, things I currently use herbs for and such like and documenting my plans for the wheel of year festivals.

It's not pretty, bit it's functional.  It's still pretty new so perhaps when I've spent more time making our and worked out what is important to me I'll make a pretty version!

Lots of people have digital grimoires, it’s a thing! I think its great to spend time gathering information and then after you’ve had the time to test it out and get some practical experience to start writing it down in your journal. Someone mentioned using post it notes to plan out the structure of their journal before they started writing and I think that’s a good idea. (Just write different topics on post it notes and start placing them in your journal and see how you like it). Leaving room for an index is also nice if you like those sort of things. But definitely having a more scrappy notebook/binder or computer notes in the beginning, until you know what you like and what you want to have in your book. It might not suit everyone to do it like that but it’s a great tip for those who would get bummed out if they started writing straight away and didn’t ‘get it right’ on the first try.

stephanelli

Lots of people have digital grimoires, it’s a thing! I think its great to spend time gathering information and then after you’ve had the time to test it out and get some practical experience to start writing it down in your journal. Someone mentioned using post it notes to plan out the structure of their journal before they started writing and I think that’s a good idea. (Just write different topics on post it notes and start placing them in your journal and see how you like it). Leaving room for an index is also nice if you like those sort of things. But definitely having a more scrappy notebook/binder or computer notes in the beginning, until you know what you like and what you want to have in your book. It might not suit everyone to do it like that but it’s a great tip for those who would get bummed out if they started writing straight away and didn’t ‘get it right’ on the first try.

Oh yeah, I got the idea from a podcast I was listening to actually :-)

I'm one of those people who'd hey bummed out if I didn't get it right.  But here's the weird thing, once I've made the first mistake I stop caring much!  I might start doing a pretty version once I've celebrated the entire wheel of the year as a years worth of stuff will be a good starting point to what I like and don't like!

(This reminds me I need to decide how I'm celebrating Ostara and write about it!!!)

Raggydoll

I'm one of those people who'd hey bummed out if I didn't get it right.  But here's the weird thing, once I've made the first mistake I stop caring much!  I might start doing a pretty version once I've celebrated the entire wheel of the year as a years worth of stuff will be a good starting point to what I like and don't like!

(This reminds me I need to decide how I'm celebrating Ostara and write about it!!!)

I’ve found some sort of balance/compromise where I just allow myself to not be perfect with what I do in my journal. And it feels very liberating and stimulating for my creativity!

stephanelli

I’ve found some sort of balance/compromise where I just allow myself to not be perfect with what I do in my journal. And it feels very liberating and stimulating for my creativity!

One of my long term intentions is working on not being perfect.  I'm firstly doing this through my crafting, because it's so easy to make mistakes!  Hopefully I can reach a stage of balance!

Guest Night Shade

I also like to build upon that technique to add clouds, sky, creatures and so on. And while it might look complicated it’s still just a bunch of dots - spaced more tightly in certain areas to create shadow and contrast. Here is part of a sketch that I did

Your sketches are beautiful, Raggydoll[/member] !  I especially like the owl.  <3

As for what I use for a grimoire, honestly, I just use a journaling book that I found at a used book sale!  I've even used regular notebooks, although these don't hold up as well.

Raggydoll

I also like to build upon that technique to add clouds, sky, creatures and so on. And while it might look complicated it’s still just a bunch of dots - spaced more tightly in certain areas to create shadow and contrast. Here is part of a sketch that I did

Your sketches are beautiful, Raggydoll[/member] !  I especially like the owl.  <3

As for what I use for a grimoire, honestly, I just use a journaling book that I found at a used book sale!  I've even used regular notebooks, although these don't hold up as well.

Thank you sweetie! Yes I agree that any notebook will do, and it can actually be beneficial to go for a less ‘precious’ alternative that you’re not afraid of ruining

bookshop

I don’t strive for perfection when I draw in my grimoire.

*proceeds to show us the most amazing perfect artwork, lolololol*  ;D

This is all so inspiring and useful! I think stephanelli[/member] i've seen other suggestions that are about compiling info online and then writing your grimoire after you know what you want to include in it and then you can just copy all the info over. I think that might not work for me — but also, i'm not really sure what I would actually even want to put in a grimoire, ahaha.  (Or more rightly whatever my skeptical non-magical equivalent of a grimoire would even be, lolol! IDK! Help!)

But these ideas are all so amazing! I have to think about these! :D

Mi-Shell

I do not have a GRIMOIRE per se' but since 35 years I am writing my "Medicine Diary"

In it I write

- Shamanic trance journeys and Spirit encounters that are relevant to me personally

Shamanic trance journeys for/ on behalf of my patients and clients

- "Medicine Dreams" that teach/ reveal songs, chants and cures , medicines and or other information.

- Auspicious coincidences involving wildlife - like seeing a Wolf, which is my Clan Guardian from my father's Clan for example....

- Important life events

- Gifts received from patients and clients

- Advice from fellow Medicine People

- Black Hand teachings I had to go through

--- and a variety of other things

The thing is, I now do have quite a library of large binders of all this.

In the end, what will happen to it?

Tanga

Grimoire Or Book of Shadows?

There isn't quite a clear line between them I think...

Except maybe a Book of Shadows is personal (like a diary) and not expected to be referred to by other people.

So - mine then, is a Book of Shadows. It's small and is a hardbound exercise book with Kenyan flavoured cover decoration that I found years ago when I still lived there. I have my most favourite spells, formats & poems in there - that I might refer to and re-use every year (e.g. format for the 8 Sabbats, or basic healing or banishing spells - I'm Wiccan).

Everything else goes into other notebooks/sketchbooks or is in textbooks on the bookshelf - mostly in one section of the bookshelf.

I have a notebook that functions as a dream diary beside my bed - when I think the dream was interesting  ;)

@ Raggydoll -  :heartz: :heartz: very pretty drawings  :)

Raggydoll

Grimoire Or Book of Shadows?

There isn't quite a clear line between them I think...

Except maybe a Book of Shadows is personal (like a diary) and not expected to be referred to by other people.

So - mine then, is a Book of Shadows. It's small and is a hardbound exercise book with Kenyan flavoured cover decoration that I found years ago when I still lived there. I have my most favourite spells, formats & poems in there - that I might refer to and re-use every year (e.g. format for the 8 Sabbats, or basic healing or banishing spells - I'm Wiccan).

Everything else goes into other notebooks/sketchbooks or is in textbooks on the bookshelf - mostly in one section of the bookshelf.

I have a notebook that functions as a dream diary beside my bed - when I think the dream was interesting  ;)

@ Raggydoll -  :heartz: :heartz: very pretty drawings  :)

Thank you  <3 I think I prefer the word grimoire because “book of shadows” feels so connected to Wicca in my mind (and I’m not a Wiccan).

Queen of Nothing

I have one, though I don't work on it very consistently. I copy down spells and potions, herb/crystal correspondences, and general tips I find online. I sort it all into a binder specifically dedicated to it all. Once I figure out what I actually like and what works for me, I neatly copy it into a book I made by hand. Its made from heavy scrapbook cardstock and I write with archival ink so it can last. I don't worry too much about making it pretty, I just try to write neatly and cleanly. I do use calligraphy markers for the titles, and I might go in later with watercolors.

Raggydoll

I have one, though I don't work on it very consistently. I copy down spells and potions, herb/crystal correspondences, and general tips I find online. I sort it all into a binder specifically dedicated to it all. Once I figure out what I actually like and what works for me, I neatly copy it into a book I made by hand. Its made from heavy scrapbook cardstock and I write with archival ink so it can last. I don't worry too much about making it pretty, I just try to write neatly and cleanly. I do use calligraphy markers for the titles, and I might go in later with watercolors.

Sounds wonderful!!  <3

sandrang123

I have a leather one, to write down spells, moon phase information and best days for certain kinds of spells, herb identifications and meanings, astrological information related to spells, etc. I am not always good at transferring everything over to it (I tend to work on loose paper first, then rewrite information in there) but I try.

Whompingwillow

Wow some beautiful sketches on here.

I haven't officially started my main one, I have however many notebooks, journals that I will be adding the information I've written into something special I can pass to my son's when they are old enough.

WW x

TarotLottie

I have a leather bound notebook that my husband bought for me. It's got the Tree of Life etched into the cover. I use it as a grimoire/book of shadows, jotting down any rituals and spells I find handy, recipes for natural remedies, and Tarot readings I do for myself. I also jot down anything major that happens in my life. I don't use it very often, only when something happens, or I'm drawn to it.

I've never been very good at keeping a diary.

Whompingwillow

I also am not wiccan, so refer to it as a grimoire. Every persons journey is a very personal one and unique so I prefer to be quite secretive with mine, even with my partner the only exception would be to my teenage boys when they are older if they are interested. I don't want to push anything on them. I was brought up Catholic and have had many bad experiences with that religion. When I started being more open and honest with who I was, although some of my wider family don't know I practice, don't think they would take it too well. Lack of knowledge and stereotypical views have a lot to answer for. To me, it's just a way of life.

Blessings

WW

AnomalyTempest

I'm in the planning stages of what I guess is a Grimoire. I start with loose-leaf paper that goes into a large zippered notebook which also has pocket pages and such for little things I find that have meaning. Since childhood, I've been fascinated by the illuminated manuscripts of the Middle Ages. My ultimate goal is to make one from my notes to leave to my daughter. It's more than just tarot or herbalism. There are old recipes, stories about family history and such. Ideally, I would make my own paper and inks as well as sewing the bindings myself. I will probably end up buying those things, though, because it's just not practical at this time for me do all that.

Since I have been taking life notes for ages I often grab an older notebook and then refine and get rid of anything that doesn't need to be in it, while copying it into another notebook. I'm trying to get more of it into Scrivener because it's easier for me to do layout design (but not digital art, I suck at that) on the computer but I'm lazy when it comes to actually typing things up, so I've started one but I haven't started it yet as well. :P

Whompingwillow

Wow AnomalyTempest[/member] that sounds amazing. Handwork but will be so rewarding. Wishing you all the best.

Blessings

WW

moderngypsy

Wow @Raggydoll, I love your sketches!! So awesome. 

I have a couple of journals - one to record my tarot pulls, one where I work with the mooncycles, and a third one as a catchall for all sorts of witchy notes. I also have s fourth leather bound journal where I am writing down things like my personal rituals, crystal and herb information, etc. And I have a private WordPress blog where I have all my photographs and rituals noted down, along with notes I’ve pulled from a variety of places online. Plus I do art witchery!! Crazy, huh? But I can’t seem to figure out a good way to consolidate it all in one place!

Raggydoll
21 minutes ago, moderngypsy said:

Wow @Raggydoll, I love your sketches!! So awesome. 

I have a couple of journals - one to record my tarot pulls, one where I work with the mooncycles, and a third one as a catchall for all sorts of witchy notes. I also have s fourth leather bound journal where I am writing down things like my personal rituals, crystal and herb information, etc. And I have a private WordPress blog where I have all my photographs and rituals noted down, along with notes I’ve pulled from a variety of places online. Plus I do art witchery!! Crazy, huh? But I can’t seem to figure out a good way to consolidate it all in one place!

That sounds great! I’m not sure if things need to be consolidated. I too have several different kind of journaling/documentation systems. Not just a grimoire. I think my personality dictates how I do things because I like when there is a system to it and not complete creative chaos. Other people will prefer to do it differently, that’s the beauty of it ❤️

moderngypsy
On 5/8/2019 at 2:57 PM, Raggydoll said:

That sounds great! I’m not sure if things need to be consolidated. I too have several different kind of journaling/documentation systems. Not just a grimoire. I think my personality dictates how I do things because I like when there is a system to it and not complete creative chaos. Other people will prefer to do it differently, that’s the beauty of it ❤️

I’ve come up with a journal system for it, I think! My biggest problem was I wanted to be able to group things together (like crystals/spells/rituals - each in their individual sections. And have space for art, writing, and even print outs. And it suddenly struck me - I can use ring binder clips to create separate loose leaf books, so I can keep adding pages as needed, and then figure out a way to bind them al together - maybe using ribbon or something? This is probably going to end up becoming a life long project, lol! 

AnomalyTempest
25 minutes ago, moderngypsy said:

I’ve come up with a journal system for it, I think! My biggest problem was I wanted to be able to group things together (like crystals/spells/rituals - each in their individual sections. And have space for art, writing, and even print outs. And it suddenly struck me - I can use ring binder clips to create separate loose leaf books, so I can keep adding pages as needed, and then figure out a way to bind them al together - maybe using ribbon or something? This is probably going to end up becoming a life long project, lol! 

I am in the process of something similar though I'm using file folders. My system is becoming so large, I'm having cross-referencing issues. Sometimes I want to look up readings or notes based on the deck,  or who I read for, or sometimes I'm just looking for general info on the cards. Trying to cross cross reference everything like that longhand would be time consuming at least so I'm working on getting my notes into Scrivener documents which are easily changed and linked. I can then design the pages for the book I want to hand make, and/or I can print it all out and put it in a notebook that takes much less paper than writing it all longhand because I just like having a hard copy.