Clearing space methods

RavenOfSummer

RavenOfSummer

I'm sure many of us clear space with smudging or incense, or by walking around with a candle.

I'm curious, does anyone use other, smokeless methods of clearing space? Since I've been sick the last couple of weeks, my sinuses have been so sensitive that I can't even have a candle burning. It's gotten me to thinking about other approaches. Do you have any alternative methods?

But this conversation doesn't have to be limited to smokeless methods! If you smudge, what herbs do you use? Etc. All space clearing methods and ideas welcome :)

RavenOfSummer

So in the last couple of weeks while my sinuses have been bothering me, I've been using a hydrosol spray instead of my usual smudge. It's basically lavender water in a spray bottle. Anyone else use spray methods of smudging?

I've also heard of people clearing space with sound, such as ringing a bell, or using a singing bowl. I do have a singing bowl but I haven't tried these methods of clearing space. Interested if others have!

The other smokeless options I've heard of are use a besom or broom, to "sweep" and cleanse the energy in a space, and I've also heard of people doing something similar using a feather- carrying the feather around the area to cleanse the energy.

In terms of traditional smudge, I have some white sage, mugwort, and mixed herb/flower smudge bundles. This year I want to work more with rosemary (one of my favorite spirit lifting herbs) and cedar, and plan to use smudge of each of those. I also sometimes just carry around a candle or burn some dragon's blood incense.

I find an aromatherapy diffuser is a good alternative for cleansing a space if smoke is an issue. A mix of lemongrass and rosemary works quite well. Lavender is also good.

Singing bells can work but it depends on the tone - sometimes I find that the clear, high tones are charging a space rather than clearing it.

A quick fix is also drawing an appropriate rune in each corner of the room.

I quite like using a bell, I used to haveone that was my great grandfathers that was great to use but I no longer have it now. I really should get another one.

When I'm doing the floors at home I'll do a floor wash, usually with Four Theives Vineger that I make up as I need. Sometimes I'll just throw a fist full of salt and some vinegar into the floor wash water. For the carpets I like to make up a mix of baking soda (great for deodorising too!) and whatever herbs or essential oils I feel like at the time, then I give the carpets a sprinkle with the mix, leave it for a bit to absorb what it needs too then vacuum it all up.

My favourite way of space cleansing is with sound though. If I don't have a bell sometimes I'll clap, sometimes I'll sing, sometimes I'll open up all the doors and windows and crank up some music... Sometimes I'll do all of the above and even dance around a bit too :D

My favorite? Clapping my hands! I go around the room while I focus on my intent, then I clap to break up and remove stale energies. Afterward I will open the window and air out the room. Its really effective, costs nothing and will not disturb neighbors or allergic people. Win-win  :thumbsup:

I use the act of playing music to cleanse a space.  I pick a 'pure' sounding instrument (usually my flute, but my recorder or sometimes my husband's guitar fit better) and I play some long notes, whichever ones come to the fingers first and let the sound die away before repeating.

I think I sense when it is done, eventually it just feels clean though.

Sometimes I find that doing a literal clean can help too - dusting, polishing, hoovering, cleaning the glass in the windows.

Sent from my Nokia 1 using Tapatalk

RavenOfSummer

I just love all these ideas! Flaxen[/member], I never would have thought of using runes but would love to try that. TheFeeLion[/member], I have been meaning to try making some Four Thieves Vinegar- what a great use for it! 

I also love the idea of just clapping hands...I remember when I took a class on Wicca the teacher said something like, "your most important ritual tool is yourself." That is so true, and the idea of clearing space literally with your own two hands and nothing else is a great example of that- you don't need anything else  ^-^

And I too find throwing open the windows is a great approach. Even now when it's freezing cold, letting in a blast of that icy air for a few minutes can make a big difference. And I also do the literal cleaning as well!

Thanks all for the great ideas and sharing your experiences!  :love:

AJ-ish/Sharyn

In trying to think what I have on hand...hurray for hands :)

I have a lead crystal goblet carved for me by a UK master glass cutter

and in cleaning and rearranging my naturescape table this week I've been handling my crystal/amethyst/tiger eye wands. Instant clear ring, lovely.

I have a handful of clapped out vanilla tealights, no scent left at all. I have a little bottle o lavender essential oil, I poured a little puddle on the wax which soaked in, I figured it would just puddle. The tea light is burning, outcome unclear at this time.

I'm an open door open window person. If we could See all the scents and moods that build up in a home we'd probably just take the doors off...

So in the last couple of weeks while my sinuses have been bothering me, I've been using a hydrosol spray instead of my usual smudge. It's basically lavender water in a spray bottle. Anyone else use spray methods of smudging?

I've also heard of people clearing space with sound, such as ringing a bell, or using a singing bowl. I do have a singing bowl but I haven't tried these methods of clearing space. Interested if others have!

The other smokeless options I've heard of are use a besom or broom, to "sweep" and cleanse the energy in a space, and I've also heard of people doing something similar using a feather- carrying the feather around the area to cleanse the energy.

You don't need tools to clear space, just your intention. It is the mainstream in spirituality that insists you need tools. Meditate and focus on your hands while doing so. While you meditate visualise that your hands are your cleansing tool. And that is all you need really.If you want to use tool, use dried sage leaves without smoke.

I have become very sensitive to incense so I use a singing bowl and my intention to clean a space. Also I use dried sage leaves and I do not burn them but waves them around the space I want to cleanse with my intentions. To be honest, you really do not need any tools at all besides your intention. It is the mainstream that insists it has to be done a certain way. You can also focus on the energy in your hands and make movements with your hands to cleanse.

In terms of traditional smudge, I have some white sage, mugwort, and mixed herb/flower smudge bundles. This year I want to work more with rosemary (one of my favorite spirit lifting herbs) and cedar, and plan to use smudge of each of those. I also sometimes just carry around a candle or burn some dragon's blood incense.

Florida Water in a spray bottle. Ain’t nobody got time for burning sage in this house.

Also: selenite candle holders, Tibetan singing bowls, energy work, or, in a pinch, spraying my rose water facial toner around. But I am dedicated to a love goddess so I feel like I’m allowed to improvise uses for beauty products.

Saturn Celeste

Florida Water in a spray bottle.

Yay!!  Eau de La Florida!

I live on the west coast. ;)  Welcome to the forum!  X/

I love the idea of using ocean water in a spray bottle! That's something I'd like to start doing.

I learned Japanese style Reiki and one of the techniques taught in the shoden level (level 1) is for space clearing.

Using intention and our own bodies is a good way to clear our space. It's how we clean it physically, so it makes sense it would also work energetically. :)

sandrang123

I do quite a few of these already mentioned. I'll try out the ones I haven't.

One of my other favorites is my singing bowl.  <3 <3 Clears out the space so nicely.

Also, this isn't quite the same as aromatherapy (lol!), which I also love, but I sometimes half onions and put them in the corners of a room or the house to cleanse it/clear the rooms. I believe onions also help absorb bacteria. Hubby dislikes the smell, but you know, I kind of love onions. They also sometimes figure in protection work for me.

MysticMoonlight

I, too, do many of the things mentioned here and they work terrific.

I love, love, love incense and burn it as often as possible. It puts me in a calm, peaceful, grounded frame of mind straight away so it's usually my go-to for space clearing.

Also, I mix up my own spray that does the trick nicely. I spritz it around anywhere (on myself too) that feels stagnant and also just to keep the vibes positive. I use what essential oils that I feel called to work with at the time but my favorites are typically mixtures in some way of lavender, lemongrass, cedar wood, and orange, eucalyptus...heavy emphasis on lavender though. It's my favorite and I used it daily for many things. I even dab it on myself before stepping out of the house.

I also use a bell. It seems to cut through feelings of heaviness really well and helps my mind clear and tune to whatever intention I'm trying to achieve.

I do mix up certain things in my floor washes as well. Salt mostly and vinegar too. If I feel it's needed, essential oils for the vibe or intention I'm trying to bring in or even send out.

Saturn Celeste

I do mix up certain things in my floor washes as well. Salt mostly and vinegar too. If I feel it's needed, essential oils for the vibe or intention I'm trying to bring in or even send out.

Oh this is interesting!!  I love the idea!

Also, this isn't quite the same as aromatherapy (lol!), which I also love, but I sometimes half onions and put them in the corners of a room or the house to cleanse it/clear the rooms. I believe onions also help absorb bacteria. Hubby dislikes the smell, but you know, I kind of love onions. They also sometimes figure in protection work for me.

This is a great way to absorb odours when you've painted a room, as well. And I've heard they're also good in fridges. :)

You mention smokeless cleansing: that’s actually how I cleanse!

For me, it’s a three step process.

First, I take a small bell and walk around my home holding the bell above my head, and ringing it. I do this paying extra attention to doors and windows, where my energies naturally see as “entrances” that might allow negative energies to slip past. While ringing the bell, I envision the negative energies in my space shattering or breaking apart. Dissolving, cracking, untying: any of these work so long as you imagine it coming apart in some way.

When I’ve made the full rotation around my home (I usually go clockwise, but YMMV) I start again from my starting point and this time I take a small handbroom. Holding it above my head and once more paying extra attention to doors and windows, I “sweep” out the negative energies I’ve now broken apart. A feather duster, tall broom, hand held fan, or anything will work but I DONT recommend a hand vacuum or anything of the sort because you’re not pushing the energy out but instead storing the bad energy somewhere else. I retract my steps doing this.

The last step is to take salt (sea salt is my preference, but whatever works for you!) and starting again from the closest “entrance” to your starting point, lay a small line of salt down at all the windows and doors. Salt is a natural purifier, and it acts as a sort of spiritual barrier against negative energies. If you’d prefer to use something else like ashes, moon water, or anything else with “pure” qualities, that works too! The key is really just that it be something easy to spread over what may be a lot of surface area.

An optional fourth step is to then retrace your steps a fourth time with an incense or candle you associate with good/holy/positive energies so that you can attract good things into the space you’re cleansing, but that’s completely optional!

And that’s my smokeless cleansing! I hope it helps someone!

Whompingwillow

A spring water spray infused with citrine crystal, also mint for purification, and clarity of mind, nettle.for cleansing. Heather for protection. Lavender for purification, peace and house blessing.This is just one of many sprays I use. I tweak the herbs and the crystals.

Blessings

WW

On 4/4/2019 at 12:18 AM, BoneBeach said:

Florida Water in a spray bottle. Ain’t nobody got time for burning sage in this house.

Also: selenite candle holders, Tibetan singing bowls, energy work, or, in a pinch, spraying my rose water facial toner around. But I am dedicated to a love goddess so I feel like I’m allowed to improvise uses for beauty products.

in my opinion selenite wands are the best.

spacer.png

On 1/22/2019 at 12:01 AM, RavenOfSummer said:

I'm sure many of us clear space with smudging or incense, or by walking around with a candle.

I'm curious, does anyone use other, smokeless methods of clearing space? Since I've been sick the last couple of weeks, my sinuses have been so sensitive that I can't even have a candle burning. It's gotten me to thinking about other approaches. Do you have any alternative methods?

But this conversation doesn't have to be limited to smokeless methods! If you smudge, what herbs do you use? Etc. All space clearing methods and ideas welcome 🙂

Visualization techniques; asking archangels of choice to stand in the four directions of your home to bring clearing raising of frequency and protection and using violet flame throughout the house to cleanse and purify. Also; I have been meaning to try out a home clearing spray or making one...I think it'd be especially nice with some rose quartz beads inside, sage oil, lavender oil, etc to spray around the house...in my opinion smudging is more a mental thing than anything so whatever feels good and cleansing; of course energetically for a cleansed home a deep clean and donating all the junk we no longer use or love is super useful as well.

Oh I love these ideas. For me, literal cleaning also, and throwing open all the windows and curtains so that the sun can get in. I'm blessed with a house with plenty of light (not so great in winter, admittedly, for poor insulation). Sunshine and fresh air are the great cleansers. I also love bunches of pine branches, gumtree leaves, and rosemary. A little eucalyptus oil. I feel it must be the antipodean equivalent to some cleansing oil in traditional lore. Sound propagates through air and I think is an emotional cleanser, but I don't have a singing bowl.

Love that I found this thread! I have been meaning to cleanse energy in my bedroom as it's been feeling icky. Don't feel as comfortable there as I use to. Is sage just the go to for clearing energy or is it actually what works the best? Never tried sage before. Thought I had some incense somewhere......

On 8/30/2019 at 2:15 AM, euripides said:

Oh I love these ideas. For me, literal cleaning also, and throwing open all the windows and curtains so that the sun can get in. I'm blessed with a house with plenty of light (not so great in winter, admittedly, for poor insulation). Sunshine and fresh air are the great cleansers. I also love bunches of pine branches, gumtree leaves, and rosemary. A little eucalyptus oil. I feel it must be the antipodean equivalent to some cleansing oil in traditional lore. Sound propagates through air and I think is an emotional cleanser, but I don't have a singing bowl.

I've loved all the ideas in this thread about clearing spaces.

I'm particularly drawn to cleaning and get a great deal of satisfaction from doing what @euripides said - opening doors and windows, letting fresh air flow through, and cleaning surfaces.

I was wondering - does anyone make their own cleaning products where they incorporate 'ingredients' with particular meaning?

I feel that making my own products would not only be better for the environment, but also bring something more intentional about my cleaning. I'm not sure how else to express it, but feel it would 'add' something else which enhances how I already feel about it.

TheStarOfCups

The  easiest method for me is to search on YouTube for an energy cleansing video and play it in the house! I feel like this always clears the energy very well and it's so easy to do.