The Silver Soul Tarot

Day Soleil

Because I'm in between writing projects, and it's winter, and I have a lot of solo time on my hands, I thought I'd sketch out some ideas for a deck, using my gesture sketches I have stashed away from life drawing. I haven't quite decided on the style. And I have NO idea why they turned into fantastical creatures. I feel like that's been done a lot, but it's just the way they started turning out as I sketched.

No plans for this project yet other than to give me something fun to do this year and keep my sketching skills alive. Although I'd love to add color with these (watercolor would be lovely), I'm not very good with color, so I'm on the fence if I should just keep my deck grayscale with the sketched look, or look for a collaborator who's good with color to do something with them. I'll probably just keep sketching for a while to see if my interest in this project even sticks. I have a notoriously short attention span.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated!

xoxo,

Day

Images below are mockups for Judgement; 4 Cups; 2 Pentacles

Holy cow, Day!  You are really talented!  I'm intrigued by the little rat on your Judgement card!  :blol:

Thank you, Saturn Celeste[/member]! That's supposed to be a mouse, calling the cat-girls awake. Or maybe karma kicking in? :)

These are beautiful, Day Soleil[/member] !  I hope you'll share more of your artwork with us!  <3

Thank you, Night Shade[/member] 

I asked my Rider Waite deck about this new project of mine, and it gave me an Ace Pentacles. In honor of its response, I sketched out an idea for Ace Pentacles. Here's a terrible photo - rather dark today in my place today and I didn't spend too much time on this sketch. I will definitely want to redraw these more carefully and add colors some day. Maybe next winter.

Wow! These are awesome!:) just keep pushing that pen & don't worry about colors or anything!:)

I'm pro selfpublisher Tarot artist by now & *expert for digital file preparation!:)

little texture can do wonders & it's all easy to fix/color in digital once you have it ready!:)

so just pm me when you feel ready or need help with anything!:)

All Best!

Irena

Wow! These are awesome!:) just keep pushing that pen & don't worry about colors or anything!:)

I'm pro selfpublisher Tarot artist by now & *expert for digital file preparation!:)

little texture can do wonders & it's all easy to fix/color in digital once you have it ready!:)

All Best!

Irena

Thanks so much, Irena!

All Best!

Irena

Thanks so much, Irena!

you are welcome!;D just *do your thing & don't be shy to ask for critic/help!:D we are all here to support eachother with tips & advice!:)

Am playing around with styles and colors. These are colored pencil drawings, about 10x14 inches, and then I threw them into PhotoShop with some plain backgrounds - I obviously don't know much about photoshop manipulation and backgrounds in general, but I figure I'll find someone down the road who can help me.

I want the suits to match in backgrounds and color schemes. Already I'm thinking of changing the colors I used for swords to cups, but we'll see what happens once I play around with a cup card.

Thoughts?

Saturn Celeste

I too love the artwork.  The backgrounds are great!  I have a little objection to the 4 of Swords.  Coming off the 3 of Swords, it's yet another card that is stabbed in the heart.  Not sure if the message of rest is implied?

I too love the artwork.  The backgrounds are great!  I have a little objection to the 4 of Swords.  Coming off the 3 of Swords, it's yet another card that is stabbed in the heart.  Not sure if the message of rest is implied?

Thanks Saturn Celeste[/member]. My idea was to show her in the 3 in a very similar background with the three swords stabbing her heart, but she'll be lying on the ground in defeat. In the 4, she's sitting upright, meditating despite her pain. I intended the red flowing into the heart to imply that she's healing her heart through this act. I'm not sure if that's too much outside the traditional "meaning" of "rest."  I'm hoping to convey rest after a hurt or trauma.

Thanks Saturn Celeste[/member]. My idea was to show her in the 3 in a very similar background with the three swords stabbing her heart, but she'll be lying on the ground in defeat. In the 4, she's sitting upright, meditating despite her pain. I intended the red flowing into the heart to imply that she's healing her heart through this act. I'm not sure if that's too much outside the traditional "meaning" of "rest."  I'm hoping to convey rest after a hurt or trauma.

That's just what I got from your Four of Swords, Day!  It's perfect. 

Thanks so much for taking a look and offering encouragement, Endy[/member] and Night Shade[/member]! I'm already daunted, wondering just how many colored pencils I might go through creating artwork for all 78 cards

I'm already daunted, wondering just how many colored pencils I might go through creating artwork for all 78 cards

Probably a lot, but you only need to go through them one colored pencil at a time!

And I hope you do.  This deck will be worth waiting for.  I doubt I'm alone in saying sign me up for a first edition.

This is going to be a wonderful tarot Day. 

But l know l am going to be in a minority here by saying l fell in love with the uncoloured pencil drawings. It gave the cards a beautiful soft feel, and so relaxing on the eyes and senses.

Please don't shoot me  :))

This is going to be a wonderful tarot Day. 

But l know l am going to be in a minority here by saying l fell in love with the uncoloured pencil drawings. It gave the cards a beautiful soft feel, and so relaxing on the eyes and senses.

Please don't shoot me  :))

How about two versions of the deck, colored and uncolored?  That way no one needs to be shot.  Wait, what?

I'm already daunted, wondering just how many colored pencils I might go through creating artwork for all 78 cards

Probably a lot, but you only need to go through them one colored pencil at a time!

And I hope you do.  This deck will be worth waiting for.  I doubt I'm alone in saying sign me up for a first edition.

Gosh, thanks so much Grandma[/member]. Your comment really made my day. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.