78 Weeks of Tarot - Sept 2017 - March 2019 - Informational thread

Trogon

I've fallen a bit behind for the week. I just finished my study of The High Priestess. But, I'm hoping to catch up a bit with The Empress ... not because that will be an easier study, but rather, that I'll have a bit more time (I think). It was interesting, I had a pretty good handle already on The High Priestess from the RWS and other decks. But diving into the Haindl Tarot's High Priestess definitely gave me some new insights - both in the Haindl card itself, but also into the Thoth HP. These have added to my understanding of the RWS as well. But seeking that understanding is truly part of what The High Priestess is all about, yes?

I promised to join the study group last month but life is a joke. I am just so busy at the moment.

Think I am going to catch up soon...

You know what Em ... just jump in when you get a bit caught up. We'd love to have you with us. The study is the main thing, not the time-table. ;D

I also struggled with last week's card, though that was because I had already fostered a dislike for that particular card. But the week made me realize, hey, this card does connect to the Magician! What a difference a week makes.

Next week (Empress) will be doubling up time, because I ended up kind of writing about both the Kindred and the Guild (Hierophant) in full for the Comparative Tarot .  :-[ Hopefully that will make it so I don't have to worry about catching up after recovering from oral surgery in late October.

You've made me curious Lantana! What was it you disliked about The High Priestess?

And, in case I forget before then, best of luck on the oral surgery!

I'm getting a lot out of this project so far. It's not easy for me, that's for sure. I had the same issues that some others had with the Magician, but it really helped to spend some quality time with him! The High Priestess, too, has always been difficult for me to get a handle on, but now I feel more connected. Onward to the Empress!

I'm trying to get a little ahead of schedule because I'm going away next week and I don't want to fall too far behind and get discouraged.

I'm really glad this is furthering your understanding Bookworm! This is why I wanted to do the study for myself. But we're here for support, if you start feeling a bit down about it, pop on here & I'm sure we'll do what we can to bolster you up! It really is great having several of us here.

Looking at the math for this is quite fascinating. 78 weeks for the 78 cards in a Tarot deck. And 78 weeks equal exactly 1 1/2 years or eighteen months, give a day or two.

Yep. There are several interesting numerical coincidences. If one adds 78 ... 7+8=15 - The Devil. Further reducing it, 1+5=6 - The Lovers. An interesting card for the Spring, as Spring is considered THE time to fall in love. The Devil and The Lovers, in the RWS imagery, are visually very similar and are connected to one another.

I also struggled with last week's card, though that was because I had already fostered a dislike for that particular card. But the week made me realize, hey, this card does connect to the Magician! What a difference a week makes.

Next week (Empress) will be doubling up time, because I ended up kind of writing about both the Kindred and the Guild (Hierophant) in full for the Comparative Tarot .  :-[ Hopefully that will make it so I don't have to worry about catching up after recovering from oral surgery in late October.

You've made me curious Lantana! What was it you disliked about The High Priestess?

And, in case I forget before then, best of luck on the oral surgery!

It was the Magician, actually! (I post my entries a bit late since the weekends are usually busy for me.) I go into this a bit more in the entry, but I just don't like the art for that card in the deck I'm using, especially since my first impression was that it had nothing to do with the meaning. One of the downsides of collaborative decks is there's always that one artist that just doesn't seem to get it!

Speaking of card art... I'm curious as how you all get your attached images under the size limit. Since Microsoft Paint changed I haven't figured out how to resize my images using it (resizing canvas doesn't seem to work, even if you click the option to have it resize the image as well  :-\), and I'd love to hear suggestions so I can attach card art to my entries again!

Speaking of card art... I'm curious as how you all get your attached images under the size limit. Since Microsoft Paint changed I haven't figured out how to resize my images using it (resizing canvas doesn't seem to work, even if you click the option to have it resize the image as well  :-\), and I'd love to hear suggestions so I can attach card art to my entries again!

Hmmm. Personally, I use Corel PaintShop Pro X5. I just looked at my Windows Paint, on the "Home" tab, the "resize" option is right next to the "select" function and below the "crop" tool. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium at home. But at work we have Windows 10 and the Paint program is essentially the same.

As far as free options go, GIMP is an open source image editing package that gets some real high marks in reviews; https://www.gimp.org/

If you do look at other photo editing software at download sites like CNet's download.com, be super careful when clicking links and accepting default downloads as they often load quite a bit of adware and crap along with the program (like unnecessary browser menu bars, and junk like that). If at all possible, go to the publisher's home page to get the download for any free or trial software.

Hey Gregory! I wanted to thank you for posting up the other 2 images of the Thoth Magus. I had never actually seen them before, though I'd read descriptions. They are certainly different from one another ...

Woah! It seems like I'm not the only one who started to get behind last week! It went from 8 people in the Empress thread to 1 person who managed to do the Emperor last week!

How were things going on AT, (if anyone who did it is still reading this thread lol) was there any periods like that where things started to really slow down? Or since there was probably way more people doing it you couldn't really see a difference anyway?

I thought things would get like this around Christmas time, but we're only midway through October haha, doesn't look good! Has anyone totally abandoned for now?

As for me, I had too many things to do, but I think I'll be able to go back on track! I tend to spend too much time on searching about tiny details, I guess I should do that at the end of the week, when everything else is done. And if I can't find the information I'm looking for, too bad I guess!

EmpyreanKnight

Maybe people are busy preparing for Halloween. The mummy dummies and faux spider webs aren't going to set themselves up, you know. :P

I haven't posted since the Fool  :-[  But I do plan to carve out some time to post again and to read through others' posts from Magician on!

Woah! It seems like I'm not the only one who started to get behind last week! It went from 8 people in the Empress thread to 1 person who managed to do the Emperor last week!

How were things going on AT, (if anyone who did it is still reading this thread lol) was there any periods like that where things started to really slow down? Or since there was probably way more people doing it you couldn't really see a difference anyway?

I thought things would get like this around Christmas time, but we're only midway through October haha, doesn't look good! Has anyone totally abandoned for now?

As for me, I had too many things to do, but I think I'll be able to go back on track! I tend to spend too much time on searching about tiny details, I guess I should do that at the end of the week, when everything else is done. And if I can't find the information I'm looking for, too bad I guess!

Unfortunately, I am one of those who has fallen behind a bit. I've taken some time off from work and that meant doing things at home ... which left little time for all the other things I wanted to do. ::)

But, I just finished my study of The Emperor and will be posting my notes shortly. Then I'll be starting The Hierophant tomorrow. So, I am quite hopeful that I'll be able to get caught back up. Oddly enough, when I go back to work, I'll probably have more time to study. :D

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that, when I tried to do the 78 Weeks on AT many years ago, I only got part way through it. But then, I was studying a deck which, ultimately, just wouldn't work for me no matter how much study I did. The Haindl Tarot that I'm working with this time is a real pleasure to study though ... I definitely "get" this deck and I'm learning quite a bit. I'm quite determined to complete my study of this deck. And yes, I do recall that quite a few folks were unable to complete the entire 78 weeks in the AT groups. I think Gregory had also mentioned that early in our discussions.

I will say that, if any of us find that we have to turn our attention elsewhere for a little while, we can always jump back in to the study. Either by picking up where you left off & just finishing a bit later, doing briefer studies of cards to catch up, or jumping back in with the current week when you can.

People - if you get behind, just stay there, run at a week to a card, and be a bit late. It isn't the end of the world.  The important thing is the doing.

I think quite a few people get busy in the fall. I know I have been! I wouldn’t be surprised if the holidays actually brought more activity due to time off.

I have both my Empress and Emperor posts ready to go, but I’m also recovering from my oral surgery so editting and formating for forum posting is going a bit slow. At least I’ve finally figured out how to add pictures again, though it’ll require me to get on the computer which I can’t yet.

Seconding gregory though: if you miss a week or so, just keep going. Trying to catch up in leaps and bounds can lead to burnout after all.

EmpyreanKnight

Get well soon, Lantana. :)

I'm of a mind to jump in too while the train is just starting to chug along. But if I do, it will be with a very special deck.

Woah, I haven't been active on the forum at all lately! And I didn't work a lot on my study! I'm just done with the Emperor and I think I will skip the Hierophant for now because I don't feel like doing it haha. The Lovers seems easy to do with my deck so I should be fine!

I think I'm spending way more time in the kitchen when Fall arrives!  :o That might partly explain my sudden disappearance from here haha!  :-[

Welp ... We've been getting very busy for the past couple of weeks at work ... and, since just EVERYTHING is done on computers, it's left me with a need to not "computer" for a while. Unfortunately, it's left me with little energy to do my in-depth studies either. So, taking Gregory's advice, I'm plugging along with the Hierophant and will be (hopefully) posting that soon.

But the important thing is that the guy who got this started, is still here with you all! ;D

I became sidetracked by the Decan thing

978568328-tarotwheel.jpg

We're in the 2nd decan of Scorpio which is the 6 of cups

989484047-6.png

Which begs the question of what Mars and Pluto have to do with things anyway. (another sidetrack)

I see this Wheel is correspondent with Thoth and so have to look up new input for the Court Cards which represent, if I'm not mistaken, Queen Guinevere running off with Lancelot thus establishing a new court.

I became sidetracked by the Decan thing

978568328-tarotwheel.jpg

We're in the 2nd decan of Scorpio which is the 6 of cups

989484047-6.png

Which begs the question of what Mars and Pluto have to do with things anyway. (another sidetrack)

Hmmm. Well, this helps to answer the question that's popped into my head a few times when I've seen the reference to "decans", of just what those are. I hadn't looked it up for myself as I am still just dipping a toe into these astrological aspects of the cards. Imma gonna keep that picture though ...

But the important thing is that the guy who got this started, is still here with you all! ;D

Haha yes. We sure appreciate this :)

I have been able to keep this thing going pretty well so far (knock on wood..). I think it is simply because I have bonded so well with my new deck (Everyday Witch). I'm almost eager to get to know it better. It is a bit cartoony and childish on the surface but I am convinced that it is hiding depths worth the research. It continues to be very accurate in readings, too. I really want to learn more about this deck and that's what keeps me going atm.

Haha yes. We sure appreciate this :)

Yes, we do! I am really loving doing this project. I'm so happy I chose the deck I did, but I keep thinking that I should probably do it with other decks. Of course it's very early in the 78 weeks, and I only hope I don't run out of steam.

Well, I knew going in that it was possible that work & other mundane things could get in the way for any of us. What I did, when I started falling behind, is to just decide I'm going to study when I could ... no matter what I'm working my way through the Haindl Tarot because it is a deck that I've wanted to dive into since I got it years ago.

Hemera, I've been enjoying your posts on the Everyday Witch Tarot. It's a fun deck and has been on my wish list for quite a while.

You could certainly add a second deck to your study Bookworm. It's been interesting to see the comparisons that tinyterrerium makes on their two decks.

And yep ... still here. ;)

Oh no I couldn't add a second deck. I meant that I would like to do this again when I have finished with the Fairytale (and probably with a nice long break in between ;D).

Oh no I couldn't add a second deck. I meant that I would like to do this again when I have finished with the Fairytale (and probably with a nice long break in between ;D).

Well, I'll probably have another deck to dive deep into when I'm done with the Haindl. Well, maybe after a short break. ;)

Hemera, I'm really glad you decided to use the Everyday Witch Tarot. Getting to see more cards is just making me want to get it even more! ;D

Hello everyone,

I have just arrived at TT&M and would really like to participate in the 78 Weeks of Tarot.

I bought The Journey into Egypt Tarot a few months ago and have just been wallowing in the stunning beauty of  Julia's images.

This 78 Weeks of Tarot would be the perfect opportunity for me to start studying these cards, so, I was wondering if I would be able to jump in, focusing on the Star which, I believe, is the card for this week (January 14).

Would it be alright if I did so? I'm also not quite sure how to "bookmark" threads, so would appreciate a little help with that.

I presume that I post my musings about each card in their respective threads? Apologies for being so obtuse, but some of the forum terminology (like 'ticket') is new to me.

Thank you for helping me and letting me join you.  :)

Shivani, I am right behind you!  I just joined as well and when I found this study group I also thought I would love to jump in too.  I am bummed that I only found this community now, would have loved to have started at the beginning. Can we start at the beginning?

Bookworm, the Fairytale Tarot is a wonderful deck (can't go wrong with a baba deck  ;D) and Hemera I was excited to see someone using the Every Day Witch as I have that one on my wishlist  :)