HermitWriter

Sigil Questions

HermitWriter

Greetings! I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm a writer and editor, so I'm pretty naturally drawn towards creating sigils. I like the power of intention behind writing down a word or phrase (after all, we always ask for things to be "put in writing" for them to be considered valid), and the process of transforming that word or phrase into a symbol is fascinating.

So I've read a bit about activating your sigil, and this is where I have a few questions. Burning the sigil in candle magick seems to be straightforward and efficient, but with my allergies and my wife's asthma, I'm not sure it's a viable option. Because I like (trying) to garden, the idea of returning the sigil to the earth has great appeal. We compost kitchen scraps and use paper towels that can be composted if they aren't covered with chemicals, so I thought those might be a good medium. What I'm less certain of is what I should use to draw the sigil for activation. I don't want to use markers or pens, because I'm not sure the ink would safely biodegrade. Would something like a nontoxic charcoal stick work better, i.e. be safe for throwing in the compost? Or do you have other suggestions for the writing instrument itself?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

---Your Friendly Neighborhood HermitWriter

Flaxen

Composting the sigil is a great idea if candles aren’t an option.

You could go the natural route for pigments: ochre, charcoal, plant/vegetable dyes.

This site has great information:

https://recyclenation.com/2015/04/how-to-make-dyes-paints-from-plants/

I’ve used juice from fruit which stains in the past (blueberries, pomegranate, cherries) -can also be painted into a stone and placed in a stream.

Day Soleil

Another idea for you... My favorite way to activate sigils is to take a stick and draw them in the dirt or snow where they will disappear naturally. I draw them large so the act engages my entire body in the creation of the intent. Sometimes I dance on them :)

Raggydoll

Great ideas so far! You could also carve it in wood and bury the wood. Or you could create natural paint (google, I’m sure you’ll find lots of recipes) and paint your sigil on a leaf. If it’s the time of year when you can’t find any leaves then a bay leaf is perfect for smaller sigils. Some people ‘draw’ with their saliva to make an invisible sigil. That is really powerful magic. You can also use lemon juice the same way. And do not forget that you can use your finger to draw an invisible energetic sigil on anything. Just visualize it being etched into the object. And that’s also how I activate a sigil - I use my mind and my hands.

sandrang123

Gosh, I love all these ideas.

I've drawn a sigil in the sand and let the ocean wash it away. You probably could also draw it with sand then blow it away. I've also drawn mine on parchment paper and then placed it in water. Oh, and once I drew on a fogged-up mirror (after a shower) and let it disappear that way.

draiocht

Hey all, mind if I jump in with a sigil question too?  I've heard that sigils should be created, charged, and then forgotten about for them to actually manifest.  But wouldn't it be better to use the sigil as a way to remember and reinforce the intention? 

Just curious, I've heard a lot of conflicting information on sigils - any thoughts/experience with that?

HermitWriter

Hi draiocht[/member] ! My understanding is that both are valid paths. Some people activate them by letting them go, and others prefer to create a sigil that they carry with them or meditate upon. I suspect that some of the reasoning behind the "fire and forget" method is so that you don't fall into the trap of obsessing over the spell and / or what you desire from it. 1) Time and energy spent thinking about it constantly are time and energy that aren't being put into manifesting your intention and 2) constantly picking at it may irritate any deities or spirits etc. that might be helping you achieve your goal.

I think it really comes down to what feels right to you, and also what meshes well with your personality. I tend to worry A LOT, so I opted for the activate-and-forget method. While it was a bit out of my comfort zone, it was also very freeing. Some others may have different perspectives, and hopefully they'll chime in with their thoughts too :)

Raggydoll

All these ‘rules’! I must try to remember to forget them  ;) ;D Seriously though, have a think about what resonates with you as well as what actually suit your personality and unique circumstances. What I mean is that you might really dig the idea of forgetting sigils but then you might also be the person that struggle to forget things, then it’s probably good to be realistic and go with what would actually work for you. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment!

sandrang123

I agree with Raggydoll. It really does depend, and I've never thought either approach was the "wrong" one. I tend to like to forget mine, in much the same way I write out manifestation lists and then tuck them away. I'm always amazed when I unearth them years later (usually looking for something else) and the list has completed itself. In contrast when I stare at things I wish to manifest, they never seem to happen. But that's me, and I'm a little too obsessive. ;)

Do what makes sense, intuitively, to you.

draiocht

I tend to worry A LOT, so I opted for the activate-and-forget method. While it was a bit out of my comfort zone, it was also very freeing.)

That's how I feel about it - it definitely seems out of my comfort zone but I think it would be a good method to work on!

I might use the remembering method for personal affirmations... but for manifesting anything else, I'll try the forget method and leave it up to the universe.

Thanks everyone, it's good to hear that you've had success with both, I'll try not to stress over it.  ^-^

Day Soleil

I've done it both ways: creating a sigil and intentionally obliterating it, and painting or etching them permanently into things, like doorjambs, magic wands, art, etc.  I almost always forget what the sigils mean, however, except for those I engrave onto a wand specific to that purpose (such as "healing").

I was reading about it this morning, the history of releasing sigils, and found it all very interesting. I'd never heard of "chaos magic," but it sounds like that's what I'm practicing. Now I'm all intrigued by this concept and may have to disappear into the Internet for awhile...

sandrang123

Day Soleil[/member]: What is chaos magic? (Unfamiliar with term. My bad, not yours. :) )

I've done it both ways: creating a sigil and intentionally obliterating it, and painting or etching them permanently into things, like doorjambs, magic wands, art, etc.  I almost always forget what the sigils mean, however, except for those I engrave onto a wand specific to that purpose (such as "healing").

I was reading about it this morning, the history of releasing sigils, and found it all very interesting. I'd never heard of "chaos magic," but it sounds like that's what I'm practicing. Now I'm all intrigued by this concept and may have to disappear into the Internet for awhile...

Day Soleil

Day Soleil[/member]: What is chaos magic? (Unfamiliar with term. My bad, not yours. :) )

Hey, I'm glad I'm not the only one, haha. I don't know, I stumbled across the term, and haven't really had a chance to dig into it yet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_magic.

Cookie

I've only recently started to practice magic but I think i've gone to the chaos route almost straight away. 

I found the magic i was doing a bit pedantic, stuffy & precise, so i started to improvise and go with what felt right & more natural.

I've just completed a talisman to Jupiter on a wrote for luck, and to add a bit of spice to the ceremony I pricked my finger with a pin and added a bloody fingerprint.  Whether this will lead to human sacrifice,the burning of the Wicker Man & to blatant Pagan Idolatry we'll have to see.    :)

Tanga

I've only recently started to practice magic but I think i've gone to the chaos route almost straight away. 

I found the magic i was doing a bit pedantic, stuffy & precise, so i started to improvise and go with what felt right & more natural.

I've just completed a talisman to Jupiter on a wrote for luck, and to add a bit of spice to the ceremony I pricked my finger with a pin and added a bloody fingerprint.  Whether this will lead to human sacrifice,the burning of the Wicker Man & to blatant Pagan Idolatry we'll have to see.    :)

"Blatant Pagan Idolatry"...  :think: :think: :think:  whatever are you going on about???

:D :D :D  (Says the progressive Wiccan with Chaos magick leanings and lots of idols...  Small ones though - I haven't much space).

HermitWriter - you could have a metal bowl and burn your Sigils in it outside? - just lighting it with a match or lighter and drop it into the bowl (use some kind of tongues to avoid burning fingers - sometimes that's a long nosed pair of scissors for me) cigarette paper burns really quickly too.

@ Flaxen - I love the idea of blueberry ink on a stone placed in a stream. Though - no streams near me  ;D

Shade

I work regularly with sigils.

Mine are activated by creating them and stopped by burning.

As for forgetting, I rather use the symbolism so the thought of the gial crosses the boundary from Beta-thinking into delta waves.

HermitWriter

I like your suggestion, Tanga! Now that the weather is getting nice, it will be a good way to make use of our fire pit.

Eamane
On 2/3/2019 at 10:46 AM, Raggydoll said:

Great ideas so far! You could also carve it in wood and bury the wood. Or you could create natural paint (google, I’m sure you’ll find lots of recipes) and paint your sigil on a leaf. If it’s the time of year when you can’t find any leaves then a bay leaf is perfect for smaller sigils. Some people ‘draw’ with their saliva to make an invisible sigil. That is really powerful magic. You can also use lemon juice the same way. And do not forget that you can use your finger to draw an invisible energetic sigil on anything. Just visualize it being etched into the object. And that’s also how I activate a sigil - I use my mind and my hands.

I've been working with sigils in a rather "rudimentary" way, but I love the idea of using one's finger to draw the sigil on a surface and infuse it with our intention.

You guys really have great ideas and and open mind about it all.