Baba studio contemplates reprinting the Fantastic Menagerie tarot

Raggydoll

On 2/21/2019 at 9:00 PM, FLizarraga said:

E.T.A. I just saw on the other thread that they are planning a 4th edition of the Baroque Bohemian Cats. Time to start saving my pennies...

On 2/22/2019 at 9:04 AM, MoonGypsy said:

And to Flizzy X/:

i am drooling on my keyboard dreaming about a 4th ed of BBCats with the cold pressed color metallic effects! Swoon!

1 hour ago, Raggydoll said:

Here are the screenshots 

4BADDD6E-9674-4C6C-B14F-293A13894C99.thumb.jpeg.f2b1305bcb36f070cdfa3f4a091de2c6.jpeg

BCC291EE-E59B-4727-B69F-DCA756B4DD1A.jpeg.606da0d5f7f61bb70b70558c873867ac.jpeg

So the 4th edition BBC IS happening. I might or might not get the FM --never saw the first edition up close--, but the BBC, hell YEAH!

Edited by FLizarraga

46 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Yes, I remember that. 😉

Silly me, yes you would 😁😎 (my 3,5 year old son said “mommy send the smiling man with glasses” - and so I did ☺️)

46 minutes ago, Decan said:

I wanted to post the video I saw a few days ago.

It is the test prints of the Fantastic Menagerie Tarot (cold stamping); they said they are happy with the results at this point. Indeed, things look promising!

https://www.facebook.com/BabaStudio/videos/10157000420915905/UzpfSTUzNjkwMjM3NjcxOjEwMTU3NDc2MzE1MjQyNjcy/

OOOOHHH!!!

The test print looks amazing!!!!!! I am going to be so very tempted by both the FM and BBC decks .... I love reading with the FM, it is a fabulous deck.  I wonder how much they will tweak the images being that they are re-writing the book.  If it is different enough from the first edition I might have to cave and get it.  As for the BBC a total rework??? HMMMMMMMMM ....... damn I have 3 versions of that deck already! 😆 

Definitely going to pre-order Fantastic Menagerie, and I’m looking forward to getting a guidebook for BBC when they reprint it.

That's it this one is open to pre-order. I don't know for now but I find the Moon card (depicting on the book) really cool!!

2 hours ago, Decan said:

That's it this one is open to pre-order. I don't know for now but I find the Moon card (depicting on the book) really cool!!

I always wondered if that might be Mlle. Lenormand. (Grandville knew her.) And if the owl reading cards for the sheep (you can see the image on one of the drawstring bags) might be a young Mlle. learning her craft, before fame and fortune. Probably not, but it's fun to think about. 

It's such a wonderful deck, it's wickedly funny, and it reads well and true. (I have the first edition, but seeing what it sells for these days makes me not want to subject it to heavy use!) And the companion book will be excellent now that the rewrite is done. 

And the cold stamping - LOOK at this, it follows the fine lines:Capture.JPG.c367f628b7a1502746354f56a0c1b37c.JPG

I'm going for the large format, even though it will be a b*tch to shuffle. That painted box, that bag...it can live on my coffee table. 🥰

And so I sit, waiting for my deposit to hit the bank so I can finalize the order. And then wait until September, lol. I just want to make sure my copy is reserved before everybody snatches them up! F5, F5, F5...

Edited by katrinka

On 3/5/2020 at 10:28 AM, katrinka said:

I always wondered if that might be Mlle. Lenormand. (Grandville knew her.)

Maybe there is something of her.

In the Parlour Sibyl that Grandville illustrated there is a bonus card that depicts an old fortune teller with 2 ladies (if I remember properly), this could be her (or inspired by her).

I read today that Grandville had a really difficult personal life, and died rather young too. He had such a talent!

ETA: this card!

81PDqDWD+nL.jpg

Edited by Decan

I'm pretty sure that one IS her. 
"La Sibylle des Salons", the bat, the owl.... https://marykgreer.com/2008/02/12/madame-le-normand-the-most-famous-card-reader-of-all-time/

"The walls of the room were covered with huge bats, nailed by their wings to the ceiling, stuffed owls, cabalistic signs, skeletons – in short, everything that was likely to impress a weak or superstitious mind."

Hi @katrinka, are you planning to order the book, too? The LE cards are huge 😳 so I guess I will not use the deck for reading but I heard many good thing about the previous edition of the book so I am quite tempted

Edited by kudos91

3 hours ago, kudos91 said:

Hi @katrinka, are you planning to order the book, too? The LE cards are huge 😳 so I guess I will not use the deck for reading but I heard many good thing about the previous edition of the book so I am quite tempted

I plan on ordering the normal sized deck and the guidebook. It will be the first deck I’m buying this year. I could not shuffle the large one so it would be wasted on me. Glad they offer two options!

4 hours ago, kudos91 said:

YES I ordered the book! And that Moon/Owl bag for my first edition, lol. 

Kudos, you HAVE to read with it. It reads amazingly well...I think, out of all the theme decks I've tried, this one is the best, reading-wise. 

It looks quite childlike at first...animals in little outfits. And then you see the underbelly of humanity, the exploitation and BS. But it manages all that without being depressing. And there's a good bit of humor.

Grandville is one of those long- gone people I wish I could have known. I think we'd have seen eye to eye on the Important Stuff.

5 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I plan on ordering the normal sized deck and the guidebook. It will be the first deck I’m buying this year. I could not shuffle the large one so it would be wasted on me. Glad they offer two options!

It will be my first deck of this year,too (and the only one I think ). I am still waiting for the delivery of the Mythycal creatures LE though. Hopefully they will deliver this in September as expected .

4 hours ago, katrinka said:

YES I ordered the book! And that Moon/Owl bag for my first edition, lol. 

Kudos, you HAVE to read with it. It reads amazingly well...I think, out of all the theme decks I've tried, this one is the best, reading-wise. 

It looks quite childlike at first...animals in little outfits. And then you see the underbelly of humanity, the exploitation and BS. But it manages all that without being depressing. And there's a good bit of humor.

Grandville is one of those long- gone people I wish I could have known. I think we'd have seen eye to eye on the Important Stuff.

Ahaha since you both plan to order the book now I think I will do it,too. I know for sure I will buy the deck but it takes some time to find the courage to click the check out button ( Baba deck just got more and more expensive but they are sure worth it). I know the LE cards are large but didn't expect them to be that large until I watch the video where they cut the cards. I guess I must find a safe way to shuffle the deck first. I felt in love with the deck right after I discover it some years ago but the price has already gone crazy by then and Baba studio keep saying they don't plan to republish it so I have given up. Glad they have changed their mind.

That old first edition used to go for about $23, IIRC.
That's the thing with Baba: they're an investment, I try to get every deck, in some form or another. I figure if I don't like one, I can flip it on ebay for Mad Loot.
But so far, I've loved every one.

I don't know why but when people spoke about this deck in the past I didn't really paid attention, but looking more closely at the drawings, the humoristic/sarcastic side that sounds true without being depressing indeed, and the quirkyness with the presence of animals, hmm, I will consider this one!...

And this Moon card!...

I'm tempted! I think I still have some more time to decide about this deck (that's true they are expensive at Baba for new decks), but... 🥰

Even if I won't pre-order it (I don't know for now), I think it will be a great deck, sure!

Edited by Decan

I think you'd love it, @Decan.
It stops short of monkeys flinging poop (which is what's happening politically, all over the world, it seems) but it's a pretty complete summary of humanity. Much moreso than even RWS, 

(And Grandville wasn't even TRYING to make a Tarot!)
It's also very, very french. I think you'd vibe with it. 🙂

13 hours ago, Decan said:

I don't know why but when people spoke about this deck in the past I didn't really paid attention, but looking more closely at the drawings, the humoristic/sarcastic side that sounds true without being depressing indeed, and the quirkyness with the presence of animals, hmm, I will consider this one!...

And this Moon card!...

I'm tempted! I think I still have some more time to decide about this deck (that's true they are expensive at Baba for new decks), but... 🥰

Even if I won't pre-order it (I don't know for now), I think it will be a great deck, sure!

Oh I think if you plan to order normal edition there will be plenty of time even for pre-order, normally they close the pre-order 2 weeks before shipping I think, And with the chaos of this moment hopefully the deck will be ship in September. The LE edition normally run out within the weeks after they open pre-order though

8 minutes ago, kudos91 said:

The LE edition normally run out within the weeks after they open pre-order though

Yes. That's why I was doing F5, F5, F5, lol. It isn't sold out yet, but I wanted to be sure. Between the people who actually want it, and the people who flip it on ebay for a profit, those go fast.