Baba studio contemplates reprinting the Fantastic Menagerie tarot

Raggydoll

20 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Yes. That's why I was doing F5, F5, F5, lol. It isn't sold out yet, but I wanted to be sure. Between the people who actually want it, and the people who flip it on ebay for a profit, those go fast.

normally Karen will give a shout on FB when there are dozens left so that's the cue to run I guess lol. I am doing the same, still undeciding if I will by something else to get the free ship. I'm very tempted by the gold fold over pouch ahahha

13 hours ago, kudos91 said:

I'm very tempted by the gold fold over pouch ahahha

Baba foldover pouches are the best. 🙂
They're very simple - I could copy that pattern easily- but the FABRIC, OMG! 
Karen finds the best fabric. ❤️

10 hours ago, katrinka said:

Baba foldover pouches are the best. 🙂
They're very simple - I could copy that pattern easily- but the FABRIC, OMG! 
Karen finds the best fabric. ❤️

It is so glittering and mesmerizing, right?

Anyway I just take a look on Ebay to see how much they are asking for out of print Baba deck and some are just crazy 😳 

I doubt someone are willing to pay 500$for a deck but who knows...

9 hours ago, kudos91 said:

It is so glittering and mesmerizing, right?

Anyway I just take a look on Ebay to see how much they are asking for out of print Baba deck and some are just crazy 😳 

I doubt someone are willing to pay 500$for a deck but who knows...

I certainly didn't get that much when I sold a gold Bohemian Cats.

Never look on tarot as an investment- not even MRP.

14 minutes ago, gregory said:

I am inclined to agree. It can be an investment in many ways but not from a pure financial standpoint. Especially not with the financial climate we are stepping into at the moment. 

For a standard deck maybe twice the price paid when the deck becomes an OOP? I saw too that people not necessarily rush on a Baba deck OOP. For a limited and rare edition maybe, but not everyone is ready to pay a "crazy price" too.

I didn't buy the Baba decks I have for speculation purposes, but some speculation is possible I guess, depending the deck.

Edited by Decan

1 hour ago, Raggydoll said:

Especially not with the financial climate we are stepping into at the moment. 

True. The bottom could drop out any time.

I just checked ebay, and the current range is $100-$850. The $850 is for a Fantastic Menagerie kit. The deck alone goes for about $300, the book is $75-ish.
So maybe not every deck would cover the rent. But they do increase their value over time.

2 hours ago, gregory said:

Exactly my point, people can list it for whatever number they want but if there is no buyer then it is just inflated value

I think 200-300 $ rank is sellable price but then subtracting commission for ebay, shipping and the risk of fraudulent buyer, it is not really worth it....

but it is still good to know the the value still hold. Who  know in 5-10 years when Baba Studio will stop publishing tarot, the value will increa like crazy or people will slowly loose interest al together

Babalon Jones

It's crazy to consider any deck an investment. It reminds me of the "beanie babies" craze or the "cabbage patch dolls" thing - what was that, like the 1980s and 1970s respectively? People thought buying these "rare" but inexpensively made things were an investment and paid crazy money for them. But ultimately they were left holding bags of what afterall were only mass produced tiny stuffed animals. It reminds me of the Dutch tulip bulb mania of the 1600s, same thing on a larger scale. The only time I would pay more than a standard price for a deck is if I just really wanted it, for myself to enjoy.

Babalon Jones

To play Devil's Advocate (against myself in the above post, that is) I have also definitely seen people buy decks, my own included, and flip them for hundreds of dollars once they are out of print. And a deck that is truly rare and then becomes very old as well (I am thinking like, beyond ones lifetime) I guess could hold value. But I wouldn't think of a deck collection as a retirement fund. Though come to think of it, actual retirement funds aren't guaranteed nowadays either.

4 hours ago, katrinka said:

True. The bottom could drop out any time.

I just checked ebay, and the current range is $100-$850. The $850 is for a Fantastic Menagerie kit. The deck alone goes for about $300, the book is $75-ish.
So maybe not every deck would cover the rent. But they do increase their value over time.

When looking up prices on eBay, always check "Sold Listings" and you'll see what people actually paid for them, not what sellers are asking.  Or use an aggregator like flippertools.com, among others.

Edited by geoxena

4 hours ago, Babalon Jones said:

It's crazy to consider any deck an investment. It reminds me of the "beanie babies" craze or the "cabbage patch dolls" thing - what was that, like the 1980s and 1970s respectively? People thought buying these "rare" but inexpensively made things were an investment and paid crazy money for them. But ultimately they were left holding bags of what afterall were only mass produced tiny stuffed animals.

McDonalds was giving away Beanie Babies with their Happy Meals, and it actually made the news that adults were getting them all and there were none for the kids. They'd pay employees to sneak them out. So it's kind of satisfying that they never appreciated in value.

But I wouldn't think of a deck collection as a retirement fund. Though come to think of it, actual retirement funds aren't guaranteed nowadays either.

Most of them seem to be 401Ks, and yeah...that's essentially letting your employer use part of your pay to play the stock market, isn't it? *shudders*

And a deck that is truly rare and then becomes very old as well (I am thinking like, beyond ones lifetime) I guess could hold value.

It all comes down to demand. A 19th century Wust Lenormand was going for about $40 in the early 2000's. Then everybody decided to pile on Lenormand, and the prices went through the roof. And the Greenwood Tarot typically goes for a ridiculous amount of money, and it was published in the 90's. 

I'm not saying that decks are a retirement fund per se, BTW. I'm just saying that if they take away Social Security the way they're threatening to, deck sales are a way to stay off the sidewalk for a few months. 

I'm sure we all treasure our decks and in extraordinary circumstance, everything with value counts. Unfortunately for me apart from couple of recent Baba decks, I only collect some Italian decks and those never really took off in value

Talking about the greenwood, I just one one for sale for 5795 $😳

41 minutes ago, kudos91 said:

It's insane, especially when you consider that you can just have one printed up with the full permission of the artist.

I love my Baba decks, and I have at least one copy of each tarot they have published purchased at the time they were originally sold with exception of the Alice Tarot (1st edition standard) and book which I happily traded my extra VR Gold to get the deck and book for.  Some people might think I am crazy to trade a limited edition deck for a standard deck and book, but it beats the heck out of paying what people were asking for the Alice, and at the time the recent reprint was only speculation.  I wanted that deck above all others and have no regrets.  I see the prices people ask for Baba decks and just count my lucky stars that I got them at regular prices.  I purchased them for me to use not to hope to sell them for some inflated price or have them sit on a shelf.  If I had to sell off decks for some reason, I would certainly sell others even if they are not worth as much way before I would even consider parting with my Baba decks.  I will only part with them if trading for something I really really want ... say another Baba deck that I want.  Now if I can only get my hands on the VR 3rd edition with cold stamping .... here is hoping for a trade opportunity in the future.

The Fantastic Menagerie is a wonderful deck, I really do hope those of you who missed it the first time around and want it get the one coming out.  As for me, I think I am going to pass on it as I am super happy with my original FM.

Edited by Jewel

@Jewel I understand your point of course. When I bought my Baba decks I always hoped that they would be decks I will use extensively. They are beautiful and I love them all, but for most I didn't use them though.

Actually in my cupboard they are fine but maybe I'm someone who doesn't attach to things enough (Aquarius!).

But I finally pre-ordered this Fantastic Menagerie because it has something that can really work with me!! Otherwise I also think that for this deck the cold-stamping wouldn't be absolutely necessary, I even hope the effect won't be excessive. Its magic are the drawings.

Edited by Decan

On 3/10/2020 at 11:17 PM, kudos91 said:

I'm sure we all treasure our decks and in extraordinary circumstance, everything with value counts. Unfortunately for me apart from couple of recent Baba decks, I only collect some Italian decks and those never really took off in value

But did it SELL ?

I see it is still up there. I am watching it. If it sells, I bet it goes for "best offer" which means we will never know.

There are others up there - one with no box, but for a mere £175. And two others with the box at under £500.

Edited by gregory

10 hours ago, gregory said:

But did it SELL ?

I see it is still up there. I am watching it. If it sells, I bet it goes for "best offer" which means we will never know.

There are others up there - one with no box, but for a mere £175. And two others with the box at under £500.

Oh for sure it will never sell, I was tempted to watch it too just out of curiosity.

The most expensive deck that I saw (and sold) was the original version of Soprafino deck (or classic italian as some of you know it) printed in 1835, and it was only around 1000 $

Considering the year we will have, I will really appreciate to receive the Fantastic Menagerie Tarot, hopefully in September . It will be a breath of fresh air somehow!!

I pre-ordered as well the pouch with the Moon card, this owl looks too cool!

That's it! They revealed on their Facebook page the backs' design for the limited edition and the standard edition (it won't be the same design)!

For the shipping it could be from the end of September or maybe during October according to what they said. Depending on how things will go.

Edited by Decan