78 Weeks of Tarot: 3 of Pentacles

Trogon

For information on what these threads refer to, see this thread;

78 Weeks of Tarot - Informational Thread

The above linked thread gives suggested dates for the cards as well as links to the individual topics.

Some of us may be working through the study in a different order and using different decks. If you have general questions or comments regarding the 78 Weeks of Tarot study group, please post in the topic in the above link.

Have fun.

Deck: Fairytale Tarot

Card name: Three of Coins

First impressions:

It’s a busy scene. Two men, maybe in Ancient Rome, are hammering what looks like a metal shield. They have gigantic muscles. Behind them stand a man and a woman, who look like they might be their master and mistress. There are a couple of other metal shields hanging on columns. A little gray mouse wearing a shield? stands on two legs in the lower corner and looks happily up at the two workers.

I don’t know what the mouse has to do with this, but the scene looks like it represents the RWS 3 of Coins mastery of a skill or art.

After reading the story:

It’s a really early story. The image on the card comes from the section of the story in which our heroes need to make a livelihood in a place they have traveled to. They decide to learn a craft – the image here is from when they decided to learn how to make shields – and each time they learn one, they learn it so well that the other practitioners of that craft decide to have them killed. Then they have to move on to a new place. The story illustrates not only the idea of perfecting one’s skill but the envy that can result from those who aren’t as skilled as you. Or I suppose it could also show the envy that you feel towards those who are better at a skill than you are. This is not usually what this card is all about. It’s usually more about the satisfaction that comes from perfecting an art or skill or craft.

From the book:

Keywords: Mastering a skill or craft; becoming known for what you do; a justifiable pride in your attainment; creating a masterpiece; understanding that “overnight success” takes years of work.

Usually this card stands for a team – essentially, it tells us that skills are usually developed with other people, whether as teachers, critics or co-workers.

The story is a tale of close relationships and clanships.

Once the four friends decide to earn their living through craftsmanship, unbeknownst to them they are set on a path to restoring their wealth and happiness.

Even though they are plotted against by those who are jealous of their skill, they never tone them down. They are driven to practice their crafts to the best of their abilities; anything less is impossible.

The original story

“The Escape of the Mouse,” from The Lilac Fairy Book, by Andrew Lang

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/lfb/li/lifb31.htm

Traditional meanings (from TarotElements.com):

Work; a new job or career; career satisfaction; doing a good job; effort; excellence; continued progression; being industrious; productivity; team work; consulting with others; getting outside help in. In its negative aspect: loss of work; dissatisfaction at work; being passed over for promotion; being demoted.

From 78 Degrees of Wisdom, by Rachel Pollack

The best work combines technical skill and spiritual understanding with energy and desire. Work can raise us to higher levels. It needs to be rooted in the reality of the world and the needs of the community.

This card may also stand as a symbol of the developed self. These two meanings do not cancel each other out. Practical work may serve as the vehicle for self-development.

My impressions of the card/story combination:

I like that the card shows the jealous other shield makers, since that’s a key part of the story and an element of the card that I hadn’t considered before. I also like Karen’s commentary that learning a craft set them on their way to their future happiness, even though a lot happens in between. I like the idea of never knowing where learning something new will lead you.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)

I would be more likely now to think of the relationships involved in this card. Previously I had thought of the card as being about perfecting a skill or doing excellent work. But now I would be likely to consider others that are involved in this work, helping the work and the worker along, and those who might be envious and stand in one’s way.

IMG_0162.JPG.01c416258ff470969997de9ce92dcddf.JPG