What Is Your Favorite Tdm Deck?

fire cat pickles

On 2/28/2019 at 8:09 AM, fire cat pickles said:

Historical accuracy (1-4 pts.) Is the deck consistent with the historical pattern of a traditional TdM? Are there any additions or subtractions? Is it a reproduction (fewer points) or a facsimile (more points)?

Artistic endeavor (1-4 pts.) If a reproduction, how far did the artist go to make it her or his own? Is it simply a photocopy of the original (fewer points)? Or is it a reworking or unique recoloring of a facsimile (more points)?

Collectible value (1-4 pts.) How valuable is the deck? Does it have more than just sentimental value?

Usability (1-4 pts.) What is the cardstock like? How does the deck shuffle? Is it ergonomic or does it stab your fingers?

For a total of 4 to 24 points...

I'm seeing a max total of 16 points. *scratches head*

Anyway, max points to the Madenie. It ticks all the boxes. https://tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/catalogue_madenie1709.html
I was lucky enough to get my copy early on, so it has the shadow images on some of the cards.

It does have square corners, so it might be less than ideal for some. But my shuffling technique allows me to use it without the stabbity factor. :)

Runner-up would be the Flamand (Bacchus). I got a bridge sized one in linen back when Tag was selling it that way. Portable, slippy, and fun!

5 hours ago, katrinka said:

Anyway, max points to the Madenie. It ticks all the boxes. https://tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/catalogue_madenie1709.html
I was lucky enough to get my copy early on, so it has the shadow images on some of the cards.

It does have square corners, so it might be less than ideal for some. But my shuffling technique allows me to use it without the stabbity factor. 🙂

Runner-up would be the Flamand (Bacchus). I got a bridge sized one in linen back when Tag was selling it that way. Portable, slippy, and fun!

I have the early edition too, it’s so atmospheric!!! 😃

fire cat pickles
6 hours ago, katrinka said:

Oops, yeah. I'll edit... Math is not my strong point.

11 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I have the early edition too, it’s so atmospheric!!! 😃

Yes! I prefer reproductions that aren't overly cleaned-up.
That's not to say the one Yves is selling now isn't wonderful - it is - but the faint shadow images are kind of ghostly and add something unique. And they're part of the deck's history, a result of something that happened during the manufacturing process they used then.

Edited by katrinka

Concerning accuracy and all, the Nicolas Conver (1761) by Grimaud is fine. The cardstock is standard/good and the back sober (no plaid pattern for this one).

Since it is a faithful reproduction of the original colors tend to be palish (which can be interesting if you want to write on the deck, because with bright colors it's something more difficult).

The price isn't particularly expensive; still in print but I didn't see it on Amazon.com (maybe on eBay?), on Amazon France it is this one (note the box to recognize it): https://www.amazon.fr/Marseille-Conver-Lames-Livret-Français/dp/B000LV1ZZM

Otherwise the LWB is in French/English but unusable (for example for the Death card you can read: "marriage that will please you" 🤪

But it's not the first time I see a LWB like that!

Edited by Decan

Pardon me if I dispense with the scoring, but I will tell you my two favourite TdM decks: Jean Noblet Tarot restored by Jean-Claude Flornoy 2014 edition, because it is beautiful and small and the Jean Dodal by Flornoy, because they are also beautiful, and large, and I love the eyes. I own several other TdM decks but these are by far my favourites and most used. 

@Carla are there any modern TdM decks you admire? I said earlier in the thread that my faves are the Tarot Noir and the Trionfi della Luna, which are both modern. I might add the Musterberg tarot to the list, i just really love modern decks and despite owning two historical decks (the Claude Burdel and the Claude Rochias), I feel more of a powerful emotional connection to modern decks that are building on longstanding tradition than i do from the actual historical decks themselves.

I'm just curious because people in this thread clearly see rich nuances and distinctions in the classical decks that i just don't really get yet, so i'm wondering if there are modern decks that speak to you in similar ways.

20 minutes ago, bookshop said:

@Carla are there any modern TdM decks you admire? I said earlier in the thread that my faves are the Tarot Noir and the Trionfi della Luna, which are both modern. I might add the Musterberg tarot to the list, i just really love modern decks and despite owning two historical decks (the Claude Burdel and the Claude Rochias), I feel more of a powerful emotional connection to modern decks that are building on longstanding tradition than i do from the actual historical decks themselves.

I'm just curious because people in this thread clearly see rich nuances and distinctions in the classical decks that i just don't really get yet, so i'm wondering if there are modern decks that speak to you in similar ways.

I used to own Tarot Noir and a few other TdM-inspired modern decks. The short answer to your question is no. There aren't any modern decks that do for me what the ancient decks do. I started my tarot journey with RWS and the many clones, and I found the TdM hideously ugly, even repellent. Something told me to keep at it, and over time, they started to become beautiful to me, like Picasso is beautiful to some people, I guess. I bought Jean-Claude Flornoy's two restorations, Jean Noblet and Jean Dodal, and they remain my favourites. They remind me of stained glass windows, there's something so freeing in their stylised art and their complete lack of story in and of themselves. It was virtually impossible for me to do other than spew memorised 'meanings' using other decks, where a story had been imposed on the card for me. But with these...it's wide open. They're so familiar, it's like, I don't know, like how a keyboard is always the same on the piano but the player gets so many different songs out of it. Readers can pull so many different stories from the same pictures, just like the player does from the piano.  For some reason that is unclear to me, the newer decks feel like something's missing. They don't invite me in. They're flat and dead. Whereas these two decks for me are rich and magnetic. 

Having read through the thread, I notice the Madinie 1709. I used to have that one, but I sold it. I love the super duper cleaned up repros. Actually to be fair, I love the Noblet and the Dodal. I haven't found any other TdMs that come close for me. 

Edited by Carla

My favorite at the moment is the Mamanmiyuki Tarot de Marseille, the mini deck. I would rate it 

3 for Historical accuracy (since it is a redrawing of the 1709 Pierre Madenie) 

4 for Artistic endeavor (since it manages, with little changes, to infuse the Madenie with a kind, soft and humorous flavor, without being kitschy) 

2 for Collectible value (since it's a bird hard to order from Japan, but still available) 

4 for Usability (the cards are small but for me perfect to shuffle and handle and read, also great for larger spreads.)

Can I give bonus points for the most beautiful backs? That little bunny! 

Some info and images here:

www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-de-marseille-mamanmiyuki/

and here (mainly in Japanese): 

https://yff03170.wixsite.com/mamanmiyuki

Edited by le_charior

I notice that I tend to reach for the Noblet and the Dodal among my TdM decks. The colors are engaging, and the expressions in the majors and courts always make me feel like there's a conversation somewhere in there that's bound to come out.

On 9/22/2019 at 8:22 PM, bookshop said:

@Carla are there any modern TdM decks you admire?... I feel more of a powerful emotional connection to modern decks that are building on longstanding tradition than i do from the actual historical decks themselves.

I'm only a beginner dabbler in the TdM, and my favourite is the Ancient Italian because the engravings are so lovely - but have you checked out the Aux Arcs deck? It's a contemporary, very expressive interpretation of more classical marseille decks, so imo it kinda combines the past and present in a really interesting, lovely way.

testpattern

Does anyone do a reasonably priced Dodal? I love the faces, but I don't know that I want to spend collector's prices for what I will use as a working deck. I'm looking for something like Peterson's Noblet, which I think is under $40.

3 hours ago, testpattern said:

Does anyone do a reasonably priced Dodal? I love the faces, but I don't know that I want to spend collector's prices for what I will use as a working deck. I'm looking for something like Peterson's Noblet, which I think is under $40.

I unfortunately do not know of a "reasonably priced" Dodal, but I hope someone else here may help!

My favorite "TdM" is definitely the Trionfi della Luna, with a close runner-up being the Marshmallow Marseille by Wandering Oracle. However, I am quite partial in a more purist sense to the Chosson reproduced by Yves.  The colors are just incredible to behold, and the paint splotches are so full of life.

4 hours ago, testpattern said:

Flornoy does a fantastic Dodal.  For 22 euros (not incl shipping), it's an ideal working deck.  His site says it's temporarily out of print but I can't imagine that will be for long -- it has been readily available for many years so I'm guessing this is due to Covid.  Hopefully it will become available again soon.  Cardstock is thicker than regular Lo Scarabeo stock for comparison, and the cards are slightly larger than standard tarot.  Also, the backgrounds are white, not cream like most classic repros, if that matters to you.  I happen to love it.

http://www.tarot-history.com/boutique/index.php

As for my other faves, I have many 🙂.  The Tarocchi Fine Dalla Torre from the Museo de Tarrocchi is high up on the list.  The Marshmallow Marseille was a strong go-to for a while too.  And I am currently enjoying the psychadelic-looking Besancon from RinascimentoItalian.  But the Dodal is my favorite!

6 hours ago, vulprix said:

I unfortunately do not know of a "reasonably priced" Dodal, but I hope someone else here may help!

They're all "reasonably priced", considering the work that goes into restoring the images, the quality of the stock, etc.
(ETA: Apologies. Saying that is kind of obligatory.)
"Budget-friendly" or "inexpensive" might be a better choice of words. And I haven't seen any of those yet. 
Your best bet might be Etsy. Not the pirates, but surely someone will eventually offer a $2 download you can have made up at Printer's Studio?

My favorite "TdM" is definitely the Trionfi della Luna, with a close runner-up being the Marshmallow Marseille by Wandering Oracle.

And the gate has been opened, let the "no-way-that-can-remotely-be-considered-a-Marseilles" pip decks flood in, lol. 

I'm very partial to the Lasenic. 

The Perrin is lovely, too:

http://www.thequeenssword.com/sneak-peek-perrin-tarot-1865/

And the Thoth, even as expressive as it is, is a pip deck. 

There's a LOT of great decks like that. 

Edited by katrinka