Would you go underground for tarot?

Guest Night Shade

Guest Night Shade

This is a really intriguing question:

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=29160

by Logiatrix

If tarot were to suddenly become illegal, to the extent that you could be jailed, would you still keep it in your life?

I'm not talking about a situation like the times of burning, or a sudden shift to a Communist state; let's just assume there is no moral or political connection here.

My imaginary scenario only changes this one thing: that the use and ownership of tarot cards results in a hefty fine and imprisonment.

Would you keep a deck hidden, openly protest, or just resign yourself to the law?

Good question!  And I am pretty sure in some countries, it likely is against a law or two or at least likely to maybe stir a mob ("witches" , just the TERM or accusation, still seems to in some countries, I am guessing tarot might be frowned on as well).

Never thought of this, so will ponder and think how I would go about deciding EXACTLY what to do. 

Guest Night Shade

This is a really tough one.  I wouldn't have the courage to protest openly, but I don't think I could just resign myself to the law either.  Assuming the police wouldn't be going door to door searching for tarot cards, I would probably keep a few decks hidden.  But I wouldn't run the risk of reading for anyone else - you could never be sure that they weren't an informant.

I'm not sure that I would. But I know that I would feel very sad, like something was missing. I felt that way a long time before tarot came into my life again.

Good points, Night Shade and Emilija.

Like you said, Night Shade, I would be hesitant to read for someone else and, while I got into tarot to read for myself and add a different perspective, I don't read for myself daily. 

And Emilijia, yes, I would feel something was missing as well.  I love the art, the feeling of tarot cards, shuffling (very tactile, so shuffling appeals to me!), as well as feeling I was missing a friend or part of myself.

I would like do what you mentioned, Night Shade.  Keep two or three decks hidden to use for my own readings.   

And I know this is just about tarot, but I would likely not only get rid of all but a few decks, but likely all Lenormands, as I don't read Lenormand for myself, but others.

So yep, even my SMALL collection would take a hit, but it is hard to imagine not having a tarot deck and giving up reading for myself.  So I would be like.... :shhh: 

lol i know i would keep doing it and would definitely offer tarot readings to people for free, and would probably immediately get arrested for being too open about it, oops  :))

Given how much I've protested publicly in the past two years, I'm frankly surprised I haven't been arrested yet, so...I'm game to buck the system.

Saturn Celeste

Well, it would kill my business for sure!  If it did come to that I'm sure I'd take up a protest to legally fight trying to take tarot away.  If it is the way of the world, then if there was a black market to sell them, I would unload many of my decks.  No business, so many decks won't be needed and the money would come in handy because yeah, no business. :bwah:

Serpentwand

Actually it might leave me free to focus entirely on reading fact cards without the guilty feeling that I really ought to make more effort to learn Tarot. Now there's a thought ;).

Serpentwand

LOL I asked the American Museum of Natural History Photographic Card Deck what my world would be like if I didn't read Tarot. Some of the specimens in the Spectrum of Life display even look like cards 8).

Spectrum_Of_Life.JPG.82416caada09e1bc6280915a91053369.JPG

Serpentwand

I am not sure what I'm seeing in that image but it's gorgeous!!  :bugeyed:

I interpret it as there is no shortage of meaning in the world of nature :).

l would just have to keep and hide my favourite tarot to read for myself. 

But if things became too hot and l got the colley wobbles l would read for myself with an ordinary playing card pack.  They couldn't class that as tarot could they  >:D

I’d hide a deck in my house but if it really looked dangerous to use tarot, I would use an alternative system.

It would be easy to create an oracle from natural objects or small children’s toys. A collection of pebbles with tarot symbols written on would also substitute.

I'd definitely keep a deck hidden, and openly query the wisdom of the law (without letting on that I was on the wrong side of it!). It's not something I believe the law should have any power over.

Incidentally, there's a restaurant here in Nanjing with a sign saying 'no superstition' on the door (along with lots of other prohibitions too, to be fair). Just saying.  :bugeyed:

No.

But I wouldn't put it in my CV, either. I never see any reason to flaunt it in places where it is irrelevant. Just as I never see any point n talking about all sorts of life's details to people to whom they don't matter.

I'm not sure.. I know it's odd answer for someone passionate about cards, but I would not know if I could live on the edge with persecution being imminent. 

I would not give Tarot up.  I do not read professionally so I think I could be very comfy underground if I had to and would keep every single deck I owned as I would not be buying new ones (no need to bring attention to myself).  Tarot is therapeutic for me, so for health reasons I would keep it  >:D