GreatDane

Decks that came CLOSE to hitting the mark for you....but missed

TAROT of the OLD PATH is beautiful, I like the kind of pagan/nature aspects, but it just missed the mark for being what I look for in a reading deck.  I COULD read with it, just wasn't one of the decks that just flowed for me.

Anyone else have a deck that JUST missed the mark once you got it?

I'm thinking it must be Oracle of Mystical moments. Its very pretty and I like a majority of the cards (one of them even made it as my avatar pic  ;) ). BUT, there are some cards that I really, really dislike or don't resonate with. And the guidebook was a big let down. Plus I felt that the deck wasn't as balanced as I had hoped it would be, so I rarely ever pull it out anymore. I will probably let it go to a new home eventually.

I wondered where your avatar came from, RAGGYDOLL!  It's very cool.

And you summed up exactly how I have felt about some decks that I thought ooooh pretty, I LIIIKE.  And then I got them and.....fizzle.

And you summed up exactly how I have felt about some decks that I thought ooooh pretty, I LIIIKE.  And then I got them and.....fizzle.

The card that really bugged me in that deck is the one called Eva. I initially was so drawn to it but then I did the huge mistake of picking up the guidebook. I was just curious of hearing what the creator thought of that card. Her interpretation felt like something out of the old testament. I'm just gonna leave it at that. You can google the picture if you like. It would be interesting to hear your initial thoughts.

NOW I know why those images look familiar!  About a year or so ago, I was looking at the POSTER SIZE of some of them for my wall space!  Love the artist's work.

I am looking for Eva.....

Guest Night Shade

I'm with you on the Tarot of the Old Path, GreatDane[/member] .  The Majors are beautiful, but the minors don't really do it for me.

Another is the Lo Scarabeo Tarot.  I do like the cartoony/manga style look of it, but I don't think that style is quite right for this deck. I think a deck that's supposed to celebrate the great RWS, Thoth, and TdM traditions really should have had more serious artwork.  I thought this would be an extremely powerful deck, but it ended up giving me just ordinary readings.

Tarot of the III Millennium. I remain perpetually intrigued by it and love the idea/backstory behind it, too, but I find it very laborious on some level, and sometimes even totally tedious. I kept it and then...eh. It ended up on my Etsy site. I've been feeling the need for Spring cleaning lately, which also has been including decks I just don't see myself actually working with intimately and long term.

I'd have to say Tarot of the Old Path as well.

And 2nd Ed Bohemian Gothic. Love the 1st Ed so much, won't use the second. Keep thinking I should sell them, but I hate getting rid of their decks.

We so share those sentiments, ILWERAN!  LOVE first ed Bohemian Gothic, and second and third just missed the mark.

And the OLD PATH had so much promise to me...but....

Agree about the Old Path, but I am surprised so many feel the same. It is the go to deck for a good friend of mine. I will ask her about it.

It is strange re the Old Path, Mab.  I got it because I thought it was different and I might like working with it.  It has some great cards.

Maybe it was a bit too different or themed for me. 

But it was definitely one that missed the mark.  I get what a lot of people like it though. 

This may sound very sacrilegious to those who learnt with and where brought up on the Rider Waite deck. Sorry, sorry, sorry in advance.

l have tried many different versions of the Rider deck and l just cannot work with it.  It misses the mark for me because l get nothing from the images.  They are, as l have mentioned before somewhere, so static, flat and stagey, they appear so wooden, without any depth. 

Though l am very happy with the clones  :)

But that's me, and you did ask  >:D  l will try to duck the flying debris  :stick:

Thoughtful and Quester -

Thoughtful....I know what haven't a static or cold deck is like and how do we explain what works for us and why?

The Pamela Colman Commemorative is my all time fav reading deck.  Would I want posters of the cards on my wall? No.  Yet I have seen other decks that are not readers for me that I love the art.  Go figure, right?

So you don't have to duck debris by me  X/  I have felt that way about decks that are popular, they just were cold to me.

Quester - I finally moved my Old Path on.  Forgot if I sold it or traded it.  Has some great cards, but

I have had several decks in this category, but #1 is the Raider-Waite-Smith all editions ... I tried, I really, really, really tried hard but that deck never did anything for me other than historical value and allowed me to compare and contrast it with other decks.  I kept the Radiant RWS (the last edition I bought) and will keep it for reference and such, but nothing more.  I still love my Tarot of the Old Path (I learned Tarot with the Robin Wood and the Tarot of the Old Path), don't read with it anymore but I keep it and its battered little box in a place of honor  ;D.

The Llewellyn Tarot was another.  It was so beautiful, but I just could not read with it to save my life so I let it go.  I was really bummed too, I had high expectations of this deck and they just plummeted to the ground each time I laid out a spread.  Waking the Wild Spirit was the same thing, though I still have it.  I really want to love and read with this deck, I have used it as a deck of the month more than once, but it just does not feel Tarot, so maybe I should just ignore the fact that it is supposed to be a tarot deck and use it as an oracle deck.  The book turned me off too, I found it preachy which bothered me.

Hi Jewel, glad to know l am not alone with Rider Waite :)) l also tried so very hard with it.

Like you l also bought the Llewellyn tarot, l thought it so lovely.  But when l opened it and tried to make friends with it  l got a resounding blank.  The cards are beautiful so l will hold on to it.  l am afraid it will end up lonely with my other waifs.

Funny how it all works.

Forgot about this one....the WILDWOOD!

Loved the style of the art, but something just left me cold re reading. 

Like you said, Thoughtful, "Funny how it all works."!

Hmmm... I think the one that would most fit the bill for me would be the Universal Waite Tarot. It was used to illustrate one of my first tarot books, and I figured I'd love reading with it. But we've never meshed well. I'll always have a soft spot for the RWCS. It was my first deck, after all. But the Universal? I can read for others with it, but not myself.

The card that really bugged me in that deck is the one called Eva. I initially was so drawn to it but then I did the huge mistake of picking up the guidebook. I was just curious of hearing what the creator thought of that card. Her interpretation felt like something out of the old testament. I'm just gonna leave it at that. You can google the picture if you like. It would be interesting to hear your initial thoughts.

I read this a while ago, but forgot to post, but better late than never. :)

So sorry to hear of your experiences with the Oracle of mystical moments, Raggydoll[/member] .

I told an acquaintance about the deck a while ago because the aesthetics of it are very much her cup of tea, and I thought she would enjoy it. Unfortunately the guidebook will most definitely not be to her liking, based on your description. Don't know if she ever got the deck. I might have to ask if she did, and if so, how it works for her.

Eva speaks to me of knowledge, exploration and growth, travels to faraway lands and just the slightest risk of poisoning. Overall, it is rather delightful. I shudder to think what the guidebook says. What is your take on the card, disregarding the guidebook? Can you use your deck without referring to the guidebook or has it spoiled it for you? In addition to your impression of it being unbalanced, that is.

I was eagerly awaiting the creator's tarot deck, but feel ambivalent after taking part of your guidebook observation.

For me, it's the Ostara Tarot. It is objectively very beautiful, but because it's a collaborative deck, there are some art that I like and resonate more with than others. I often find myself wishing that the deck were entirely illustrated by one or two of the artists. When I use the deck, I find myself distracted by the differences in the art, so I don't use it much except around spring time and only out of some sense of obligation. Which is why I'm giving it away.

The Sakki Sakki Tarot.  The colourful artwork was just so joyful, the cardstock was to die for but I just couldn't read with it. 

The Baroque Bohemian Cats.  I’m such a fan of MRP decks and just KNEW we would dovetail. After all, it’s Baroque, it’s Bohemian, and it’s Cats!  Unfortunately however, we are but mere acquaintances. It resists my attempts at familiarity and affection, and wants to be left alone. 

The Wildwood.

As I've mentioned elsewhere before, I wanted to love this deck. I've tried numerous times to work with it. It just does not read for me. It's like looking at a blank piece of paper. No joke.

The aesthetic of the deck is right up my alley. It's nature-y, it's earthy, it's very Pagan. Definitely my cup of tea so you can imagine my surprise when it wouldn't say a word.

It has everything that I normally love except for readability (for me).

The Wildwood.

As I've mentioned elsewhere before, I wanted to love this deck. I've tried numerous times to work with it. It just does not read for me. It's like looking at a blank piece of paper. No joke.

The aesthetic of the deck is right up my alley. It's nature-y, it's earthy, it's very Pagan. Definitely my cup of tea so you can imagine my surprise when it wouldn't say a word.

It has everything that I normally love except for readability (for me).

That's a shame! These things can change, though - try it again in future, and you might find it suddenly clicks.  :)