Upgrading the Tarot, Tea, & Me Forum Software - A Kickstarter

Little Fang

Could we have some really PLAIN ones - thinking vision issues.... And I remind you that there is one VERY brown forum out there already....

I rather like the color picker one - and the background picker, too.

If I could choose a main color it would be green as it makes me think of green tea (Tarot, Green Tea & Me  :party: )

Little Fang

Thank you for the suggestions!  I'll be opening with a few themes, and I've opted for a 1k stretch goal to have one custom made and picked by poll. There will be some plain and easy on the eyes themes for sure. ((

I’d prefer not to have a dark background - I find them really hard to read.

Very exciting to see this forum grow. :)

Guest Night Shade

If I could choose a main color it would be green as it makes me think of green tea (Tarot, Green Tea & Me  :party: )

Green and plain :thumbsup:

I agree with all of these.  Maybe something similar to the Green Flowers theme we have now.

Green and plain :thumbsup:

I agree with all of these.  Maybe something similar to the Green Flowers theme we have now.

Definitely!  :thumbsup:

Little Fang

At this rate we will reach enough where I can get a custom made theme that looks like this one, AND a custom purple theme! :)

At this rate we will reach enough where I can get a custom made theme that looks like this one, AND a custom purple theme! :)

Yay!!  :stick: :dancecat: :bthumbsup:

in less than 24 hours we are already double the goal!  :biggrin: :love: :thumbsup:

Edited to Add:

I think people will support and fund it because they love this community <3

I am wary of getting rid of Tapatalk. Different themes and a mobile forum version is great, but some people only use forums on tapatalk and I notice quite a few people joining here, found us on tapatalk by searching for tarot related areas and only use tapatalk to surf here. I know I store this forum on it with my other forums and it made me want to use this forum more at the start because it had tapatalk access. Just something to think about, a lot of people use it for browsing :)

Haha, I just renewed my subscription the other day and now I back the KS.

This forum was just the one I liked best after Aeclectic went away. I'm proud to support an on-line gathering spot for tarot peeps.

Thank you, Little Fang and mods. Congrats on a successful kickstarter, hope it goes through the roof!

Rose Lalonde

That $25 option is a steal. Only $5 more than the current 1 year subscription, and it includes that 1 year sub.

Saturn Celeste

YAY!!  Green Flowers is my favorite theme!  IP themes are easy to customize. 

AJ-ish/Sharyn

I think we have a wishlist thread, but I'll put a wish here because it is all about me :)

I'd love to be able to click the link at the top of a thread to be taken to the last read post. Lot of scrolling going on which seems to waste good time.

I have my options set so the thread opens on the newest post and then scroll backward until I recognize something. Which is why I don't take part in long ongoing threads and miss a lot of options to get to know members better. I limit my time online to 2 hours a day

Little Fang

I think we have a wishlist thread, but I'll put a wish here because it is all about me :)

I'd love to be able to click the link at the top of a thread to be taken to the last read post. Lot of scrolling going on which seems to waste good time.

I have my options set so the thread opens on the newest post and then scroll backward until I recognize something. Which is why I don't take part in long ongoing threads and miss a lot of options to get to know members better. I limit my time online to 2 hours a day

Click the little orange (on default theme) NEW icon to be taken to your last read spot.  I use this all the time without fail. :) I'm sure the new software will have a similar option.

AJ-ish/Sharyn

ah, and here's me, because I enter the forum on "Show unread posts since last visit." I've ignored the new orange button because duh, that is the view I'm in.

I love instant gratification, thanks so much.

I think editing the current theme to be more readable would be sufficient. I don't really feel "wanting" on features. I've tried the various layouts, but they're all so "busy". I do get fatigue when reading after a while. I'm a graphic/web designer as well, so part of that is probably my inner art director nagging. Anyway, things I look for...

There's 3 typefaces (Lucida, Verdana, Arial) being used and they're all used in a variety of line-heights, sizes, styles, etc... there is also random spacing issues. Some text elements are close to edges, while others have space, but then there's tight margins (left/right) that give it a "paper scroll" feel. With the background/foreground colors being so close to each other, the border line is not that obvious to the moving eye, so I find myself looking at the awkward spaces rather before I "see" the lists.. for example. Add to this, the tightly spaced font/line-height and it means a lot of fatigue for the eye as it looks for places to stop/land while scanning.

I think when searching for a new theme or updating the current, look for one with more consistency and hierarchy over color and flash so that it directs the eye better. Also watch spacing and make sure there is enough white space for the eye to rest. Tightly spaced elements would be fine for legacy monitors, but most of us have larger monitors, so font size can be bumped a bit. Consider adding a little bit more line-spacing, raising line-height (same thing), etc...

The layout itself is fine. The font-size is probably too low for posts. The post background being a "grey"-tone, and the font color being a "muted" brown, it's not high enough contrast for the text size... need either a lighter bg to make the font stand out better, or a larger text-size... I would lean more towards upping the font-size for older members who have vision impairments.

Maybe consider taking out one of those typefaces for consistency... no need to have three. But could always swap out two and add a font from Google Fonts, etc, for just the headers on the site... could use that to give the site more its own "personality" or "pop" if the developer wants to to do something to add more of their own mark. More of an idea than a suggestion...

All this hangs on which skin you choose to use. Mine has none of these issues you describe, so....

And those of us who don't use the default would be very upset to be forced to use ANY default skin. Choice is nice. And some people have visual issues that a rigidly applied default can make impossible to handle.

I'm not so concerned about skins really. I rather hope that the technical solution works well and that the site will be quick and don't hang for 10-20 seconds like it occasionally does now. So, to me, sufficient CPU and RAM, or whatever solution is needed to solve today's bottlenecks regarding performance is better than countless skins to choose from. But that's just my humble opinion O:-)

I'm not so concerned about skins really. I rather hope that the technical solution works well and that the site will be quick and don't hang for 10-20 seconds like it occasionally does now. So, to me, sufficient CPU and RAM, or whatever solution is needed to solve today's bottlenecks regarding performance is better than countless skins to choose from. But that's just my humble opinion O:-)

Yes. This is exactly what I’m thinking. There’s a need for speed. Really!  :thumbsup:

Yes. This is exactly what I’m thinking. There’s a need for speed. Really!  :thumbsup:

I also agree with this.  I use the green flowers (the default) and am perfectly happy with it.

Little Fang

I've been checking the backend during said hangups and the host showw all is fine back there. I get the feeling it's the software in this case. If we switch and still get those I'm finding a new host asap. ;)

Thanks all! ❤

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.