Kickstarter alert! The Slow Tarot

Guest libra

queenofwans

@Nordica De Spell thank you! Linen finish is definitely my favorite finish on cards. The cards do have a tactile feel to them, although I wouldn't say they feel like actual linen cloth. You can feel the linen finish though. You'll see what I mean when you get them!

I do really like the Temperance card -- that was actually the card that flew out at me when I asked the deck what our relationship was going to be like. However, my favorite card has got to be Strength. It's just so beautiful. The Aces are all pretty fantastic too.

I'm thinking and hoping that you will enjoy this deck, and I hope it arrives soon for you too!

Nordica De Spell

@Decan, haha! Thanks for sharing, though. 🙂 🙂 

@queenofwans, that card IS beautiful! I love it how the lion blend in with the colours of the grass (and sky,) and how there’s such a warm loving energy between them. The support nature of the card really gets through in the image. (Plus, her dress is just lovely!)

(And for me personally, the lion reminds me of Aslan in the Narnia Chronicles.)

Thank you for hoping it will arrive soon! It’s difficult when it feels like everyone around me is already unpacking theirs! (I bet it’s stuck in customs and that can take awhile.)

Edited by Nordica De Spell

On 6/15/2019 at 10:19 AM, Nordica De Spell said:

(I bet it’s stuck in customs and that can take awhile.)

This is the first deck that I had to pay customs for ($30 😞)

Others set the value of the package to $10 or something like that, but Modern Eden's policy is to set actual value, I've learned.

...so, your deck might be stuck in customes... 😯

8 hours ago, KaiNO said:

Others set the value of the package to $10 or something like that, but Modern Eden's policy is to set actual value, I've learned.

Oh boy, you paid $30 of taxes! 😲 Not a good deal!

1 hour ago, Decan said:

Oh boy, you paid $30 of taxes! 😲 Not a good deal!

$50 for the deck + $18 for shipping + $30 for customs/taxes.
Nope, not a very good deal. This turned out to be one of my more expensive decks.

I'm glad I've avoided customs earlier. At least I comfort myself with that 😅

AJ-ish/Sharyn
16 hours ago, KaiNO said:

To expect a merchant to dishonor customs laws of their country? How could I even respect the vision of their cards? Dishonest is dishonest and in my mind would permeate their product. A little thing but a big thing for me. 

18 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

To expect a merchant to dishonor customs laws of their country? How could I even respect the vision of their cards? Dishonest is dishonest and in my mind would permeate their product. A little thing but a big thing for me. 

Well, merchants usually do that. And I'm fine with that. I don't see why my country should earn a disproportionate amount of money because of my purchase of a product I'm unable to buy domestically.

And this particular merchant isn't much more honest than others as he is "always happy to work with people if they contact us directly prior to shipment to see if there is anything we can do to help minimize the customs fees since every country is different".

1 hour ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

Ah ah, yes, but I don't necessarily agree on this point, well I agree 70% but not completely 100%.

Actually since Tarot is a spiritual tool a tax at customs is really something not really appropriate, too venal somehow! For something else yes, but here in some way only the sky could put a tax on it, no? :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Decan

Here in the US, we don't pay customs. But if we did, and the merchant decided to subvert the law by valuing the deck at a lesser price or marking it as a gift, I wouldn't complain. Things like customs fees and taxes should be used for the public good, and we have crumbling infrastructure and little or no social safety net. So I don't feel any moral obligation to hand yet more money over to the billionaires for them to hoard in their offshore accounts. I'd rather do something more charitable with the extra money.

Your country may be different. I hope it is.

As for Tarot being spiritual, I've read that some people have successfully sued to be allowed a deck in prison on religious grounds. I don't use it that way, but I mention it here because it's a legal precedent. Again, it may be different where you live. https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/gynpvw/victorias-worst-serial-killer-is-now-doing-tarot-readings-in-prison

Nordica De Spell

Far as customs, I don’t expect a merchant to write a parcel as gift or lower value, because it’s probably illegal and (very theoretically) could get them in trouble. In other words, I care about them.

But if a merchant, by their own initiative, would do this for me, because they in turn care about me; then I’d simply think of that as very kind...

And if ever I believed their work of art was imbued with anything, I’d believe that it was imbued with kindness, then.

(To me, it’s the EXTRA postal fees, high vat AND high customs fees, that together form an immoral —and it might be argued, dishonest — system. So, and again to me, it isn’t the merchant that is being immoral for trying to help out in that situation...

... and IF art is forged in the spiritual dimension, then it should go to the one it’s destined to go to, and to the one that the artist decides... and that might not always be that it should go to the richest kid on the block, or be blocked from going to someone because they live in another country than the artmaker, etc.)

This is how I feel about it. 🙂 

8 hours ago, katrinka said:

Here in the US, we don't pay customs. But if we did, and the merchant decided to subvert the law by valuing the deck at a lesser price or marking it as a gift, I wouldn't complain. Things like customs fees and taxes should be used for the public good, and we have crumbling infrastructure and little or no social safety net. So I don't feel any moral obligation to hand yet more money over to the billionaires for them to hoard in their offshore accounts. I'd rather do something more charitable with the extra money.

Your country may be different. I hope it is.

As for Tarot being spiritual, I've read that some people have successfully sued to be allowed a deck in prison on religious grounds. I don't use it that way, but I mention it here because it's a legal precedent. Again, it may be different where you live. https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/gynpvw/victorias-worst-serial-killer-is-now-doing-tarot-readings-in-prison

Well, they were reasons I imagined in order to justify to avoid paying more :classic_biggrin:

I don't think that Tarot belongs to the sky only though, lol.

Here in France the rate to apply a tax doesn't take into account the shipping, which is fine because in the UK things are more restrictive, but I guess this will change in the future here too...

We have social infrastructures here while they don't work well most of the time (they dysfunction often), but we pay as well a lot of taxes (customs apart of course).

For a deck of cards I buy in the US I have to pay the price and that's perfectly fine, plus an expensive shipping (which is okay naturally!), and in addition a big tax at customs. Well... it's abusive, as a result this just blocks trades.

When they'll include the shipping with regard to the tax rate, I wouldn't buy on Kickstarter as a result (for example), because things will become a bad deal for us.

But I don't complain though!

Edited by Decan

On 6/17/2019 at 5:04 PM, KaiNO said:

Just got mine today, yeah!!! And had to pay duty on it. The lady in customs asked 'what is so special about these playing cards'? Well the art work I said. She burst out in laughter - art is not something of value to most where I live - and I only had to pay US 2 duty. If she would have checked the value outside the box I would have had to pay about US 15 😉