Do you throw out tarot deck boxes?

Guest Night Shade

Guest Night Shade

I keep most of my cards in their original boxes - it seems to me that they're more protected there than in a bag.  The exception is when I'm working with a deck on a regular basis - then I'll put it in a bag for easier access (sometimes it's a pain to get the cards in and out of those boxes).

I have done so on a couple occasions. Usually it’s if the box is either huge and/or flimsy. It’s make my own boxes/bags if I feel the need. But if the original box is in good quality and fairly snug (I have self-imposed limited storage space) then I keep them.

Guest libra

I tend to throw them out - hey are usually flimsy and often the bottom flap makes it cumbersome to put the cards back in. I knit or crochet a nice case and the tactile warmth of the case helps me to feel good through the whole process of reading, right from the moment of choosing a deck.

I keep them.  I usually keep my most used decks in bags and keep their packaging on my dedicated book shelf, but will keep the companion book stored in the box when not in use.  For single decks, again if in regular use the decks lives in a bag and I keep the box.  I like having the boxes in the event that I choose to give, trade, or sell the deck.  When a deck goes OOP it is nice to have the box as well.  Even decks I know I will never part with I keep the box.  I suppose I am just anal that way  ::)

I do and I don't. Someimes I feel as though a deck is just meant to be in the box it came in and othe times I feel as though they don't belong in a box, they need to be free and open. I judge based on the feeling I get from each deck on whether or not it needs to e in the box.

DevonCarter

I have a little twelve drawer cabinet thing, with each drawer being just the right size for most of my decks (a few are too big). So the decks that fit in there, I took out of their boxes, folded down flat the boxes that would fold, and then stored those boxes away. I have two closet shelves full of empty doll boxes that I need to keep (gotta have them to sell them if I choose to someday, to help prove they are legit) so it's not a big deal to me to stick some tarot boxes up in there too. I have one deck in a bag that came that way, and the rest are in their original boxes. I have plans to knit some bags for them, however, because my Joie de Vivre box is totally falling apart at this point!

I do keep the ones in tins in their tins. I'm a big fan of tins.

fire cat pickles

I've only ever thrown out one box, and that was my IJJ Swiss box. I wish I hadn't. It's in a beautiful bag though.

Saturn Celeste

Only the big flimsy boxes made in China from a few years ago.  This is one of the boxes I threw away.  If they have a magnetic strip, I keep them but many of the decks from them get put in soft tarot bags.  For smaller self contained boxes, I keep them like they are in the original box.  I use the boxes with metal strips all around the house thought to hold bits and bobs in. And they are so stackable!  My tarot bag--bag is filled to the max though so I will have to start making even more room.  I like to keep everything in my corner to have my cards at my reach but my corner is really filling up!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738743488/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Guest Night Shade

If they have a magnetic strip, I keep them but many of the decks from them get put in soft tarot bags.

I think this is what I'm going to do with my Mystical Manga Tarot - it's just crying out to live in this nice purple bag I have!

I use the boxes with metal strips all around the house thought to hold bits and bobs in.

This is what I'm going to do with the box.  Great idea Saturn Celeste[/member] !

AnomalyTempest

If the cards actually fit in their box, the get to stay there. If the box is too big, I have tossed them in the past. The Tarot of Vampyres came in a big box with the cards shrink-wrapped inside. I liked the look of the box though so it's folded down and I plan to cut it down somehow to make a box for the cards. I have a couple of decks whose boxes just gave out on them who live wrapped in hankies in bags.

HermitWriter

I try to save the boxes now. Most of the ones I bought in my early reading days (2006-ish) fell apart pretty quickly, so I let those go. My working decks usually get wrapped in a napkin (cotton if I can find it) and secured with crafting thread. That way, they're pretty well cushioned and I have a handy spread cloth when I'm out and about. Now that I have a bit of storage space, I have room to keep empty boxes. As long as my collection doesn't get too out of hand, my wife (probably) won't give me too much grief about them...

I have a little twelve drawer cabinet thing, with each drawer being just the right size for most of my decks (a few are too big). So the decks that fit in there, I took out of their boxes, folded down flat the boxes that would fold, and then stored those boxes away. I have two closet shelves full of empty doll boxes that I need to keep (gotta have them to sell them if I choose to someday, to help prove they are legit) so it's not a big deal to me to stick some tarot boxes up in there too. I have one deck in a bag that came that way, and the rest are in their original boxes. I have plans to knit some bags for them, however, because my Joie de Vivre box is totally falling apart at this point!

I do keep the ones in tins in their tins. I'm a big fan of tins.

Great idea to fold tuck boxes FLAT.  I bought a photo acid-free suitcase to fit average sized tarot decks, and their boxes are in a bin along w extra bags.  If it gets crowded I will remember to fold them as I always keep the boxes.  In case of a re-sale, gift, trade.

I love tins as well but feel they could rust over time if exposed to humidity  :bugeyed:

I keep them in a clean dry drawer lined w acid-free paper.

The only boxes I have ever even THOUGHT about folding flat etc are the DIRE ones from Llewellyn. They have improved lately, though.

MysticMoonlight

I keep them all. Even the REALLY bad ones. I have stapled, taped, and glued boxes for years! lol

I do keep some in bags if I'm working with them frequently and the box is on its last leg. Aint nobody got time for that!  :D

I keep them all. Even the REALLY bad ones. I have stapled, taped, and glued boxes for years! lol

I should take a picture of my poor Tarot of the Old Path box.  It has so much tape on it  X-D not sure how it got in such bad shape, because honestly I am and always have been very careful with my Tarot and Oracle boxes.

I keep them all.  Even the Morgan Greer one that arrived squashed because it really doesn't fit the deck!  (Although when I get round to it, I am going to knit a bag to keep the Morgan Greer deck in - hopefully before I start losing cards from it.)

Have to say though, I do find some of my decks a bit overpackaged (Everyday Witch or Arthurian Tarot, I'm looking at you!).  I try to cut down on things like packaging in general - and I don't love that some of my decks have arrived shrink-wrapped in layers of plastic.

MysticMoonlight

I should take a picture of my poor Tarot of the Old Path box.  It has so much tape on it  X-D not sure how it got in such bad shape, because honestly I am and always have been very careful with my Tarot and Oracle boxes.

I totally relate, Jewel! My Joie De Vivre deck and my Morgan Greer are taped to the gills! It's comical really how bad the boxes look but the cards are in terrific condition. I too try to be really careful with boxes but I don't seem to be very good at it  :thinking:

Sometimes I am so tempted to recycle the too large and poorly designed Llewellyn boxes, but I can't bear to do it.

The boxes fm Deviant Moon tend to split from the first moment of removing the new cards!  What a shame!  For such lovely cards to have such cheaply made tuckboxes is a crime imo. But I will keep those as well although it makes me angry.  Just best to store those cards in something else I guess.

I throw out tuck boxes but I keep the sturdy ones that close with a magnet because they're much sturdier and I can use them for other things if I want to . One of them I even covered in suede and bead work and gave for a Christmas gift.

No... but I have been thinking about replacing my Mystical Lenormand's box. It's starting to wear out and not hold the cards as well. I thought of keeping such decks in drawstring bags or just plastic boxes from Walmart. They have big ones and tiny plastic boxes there in their office supplies section. I think the bigger ones would do fine, it's just they'll take up more space and they may not hold smaller decks like my Mystical Lenormand in place. I don't mind as long as they fit for the most part. I thought of also making some from sturdy boxes that products come in from amazon that do have a magnet flap. *Sigh* Choices...  ???

MysticMonkey

Not yet but I am debating whether to chuck out the boxes for the Shadowscape Tarot and the Tarot of the Dead as I'm trying to keep the clutter down and they are too big to keep assembled and too ugly once folded flat.  The other boxes are mostly fine as the decks are either stored in the box or are only the size of the deck anyway so easier to store. 

Nordica De Spell

No... but I have been thinking about replacing my Mystical Lenormand's box. It's starting to wear out and not hold the cards as well. I thought of keeping such decks in drawstring bags or just plastic boxes from Walmart. They have big ones and tiny plastic boxes there in their office supplies section. I think the bigger ones would do fine, it's just they'll take up more space and they may not hold smaller decks like my Mystical Lenormand in place. I don't mind as long as they fit for the most part. I thought of also making some from sturdy boxes that products come in from amazon that do have a magnet flap. *Sigh* Choices...  ???

For even more choices you could keep them in make-up bags or clutches. There are some nice ones out there, and that’s what I do with the decks I’ve bought second-hand that didn’t come with a box.

(As for the thread topic, I keep the boxes, even Llewellyns.)

CharlotteK

I've put quite a few in the recycling, especially the rubbishy Llewellyn ones and the tuckboxes that have fallen apart, though I am not as cavalier about throwing them away as I used to be. I have quite a lot of decks in bags. I love Sulis bags most of all, they're just beautiful. I try and save up for two or three at a time every few months. I'd love to have all my decks in her bags 😍