Do you throw out tarot deck boxes?

Guest Night Shade

Some of my decks are in bags. The boxes I'm not using are put away in case I want them again.

I had about five decks of very generic cards that I bought when I got back into Tarot. I bought them for the pictures, I'm a visually stimulated guy. Anyway, I kept everything, especially  the boxes. I recently had a fire sale in my life and was surprised to find people buying these cards. Some where never used, never shuffled, but available anywhere. So I would recommend keeping everything because you never know. 

I always keep them in their boxes with LWB and everything. It is so much easier to store them like that! I have a few decks that I have bags for and my oldest RWS deck had a box that fell apart and lives in a bag now. I hate it when I buy a self published deck which does not have a box for it, that is rare now, most of them do come with boxes.

I find it much easier to pack it all away in it's original box :thumbsup:

I don’t throw out the standard boxes but when it’s a box for a set I throw out these boxes because they are bulky and unpractical to put the book, the deck or both.

I have as well some pouches and wooden boxes.

AuroraLara

I always use a good quality box to keep safe these tarot cards. and also put them in well designed attractive bags. so they always safe. 

Thoughtful

l have recycled the tuck boxes but do keep the magnetic closure ones.  l like to have my cards in a beautiful bag.  My special working decks are in bags and l home these in a lovely wooden box which double protects them.

queenofwans

I do not throw out boxes, but I also don't use them, especially if they are the bigger boxes. I hide those boxes away inside an ottoman. 

I now keep all of my decks in TheBeeandtheSnake tarot pouches, which are amazing in quality and very affordable, or in their boxes if they are smaller, sturdy boxes, and store everything in vintage card catalogs. 

20190504_144056.jpg

queenofwans
27 minutes ago, Emilija said:

Those are some lovely bags! Is that an Etsy shop, where you get your bags?

Yes, they are from Betsy at TheBeeandtheSnake. I buy the small bags at $12 a pop.

i throw them out if it's a crappy or super bulky box. i'll just put those cards in bags.

i've also bagged boxes of cards if the box fits.

most cards are in the original boxes though

I let the decks in good boxes stay in them - the Babas, the Vamp, the Rana George Lenormand, Ciro's Kipper, Il Meneghello, Berti, Yves... If I bag those, I bag box and all.
Tuckboxes disintegrate, so I tend not to use them. I keep the older ones, but the new ones get tossed.
I'm not a fan of big boxes, but I haven't tossed any. Yet.

Edited by katrinka

I hate the tuckboxes, and unless I really like them I get rid of them. I've been putting my cards in this box from Amazon (is it okay to link to it? It's not an affiliate link or anything): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MJ1EOK/ The average decks all fit in there nicely. In theory, I'm going to paint and decorate them all and make them pretty some day.

Venus Rising

those bags are beautiful @queenofwans :heart:  I checked out her Etsy, and she has some beautiful wrap/reading cloths, too.  Uh oh to my wallet! LOL 😄 

I keep all of my boxes - I just can't get rid of them.  I like to keep everything together.  If I'm working with a deck though, I'll take it out and put it in a bag, and some of them go back into their boxes in a bag too (like in those ill fitting cheap tuck boxes that LLewellyn used to use in the main box) just so the cards don't flop all over the place.  The really oversize boxes, (I"m looking at you DruidCraft and New Mythic!) were the only ones that really made me even consider ditching the boxes, just because they are so tall 🙂  But, nahhh, I can't...I gotta keep them all 😄  

Tuck boxes are my enemy since I always wind up injuring a card or shredding the LWB.  Still, I can't thrown them out.  I usually flatten and file them for... Hmm.  I really don't know what 🙂

AJ-ish/Sharyn

I always keep them, #1 because if you are selling decks on you can always get a better price for a complete package. 

While I don't have many decks, but whatever I have I keep them in boxes they came in...I feel it keeps them intact. Additionally it helps me spot the deck I want to use easily.

I generally keep decks in the box in which they came.  But I'm about halfway done turning those big useless Llewellyn set boxes that contain the even more useless plain white box into deck-specific boxes. I can post pics if anyone is interested. I've made boxes for decks I received whose boxes weren't going to last. If I've received a deck that didn't come with a box, I've either made a box for it or put it in a drawstring bag.

Rodney

I had the same dillemma!  It's like.. the boxes have barcodes and I don't like that, they are also just... big and clunky so not great for travel, but they are also beautiful and I want to use them too, but at the same time I really love a good tarot satchel/bag!!  So how do I give the box use or not waste it's beauty, while using a satchel or bag also?  lol 

My leaning lately has been to consider the box the "at home destination" and to consider the bags for travel purposes.  

5 hours ago, jupiter said:

I sew my own bags for the decks in frequent use, and keep the boxes on bookshelves (behind the books, so not visible).

IMG_7560.JPG

Those look great!