Mystical Shaman Oracle - Alberto Villoldo and Colette Baron-Reid

Whisper

I ordered this deck a week ago and it just arrived in the mail today! I can't say much about it since I haven't worked with it, but it is beautiful and I like the quality of the cards. I feel very connected to the deck already!

HeavenlyWren

I had a similar experience to you with these cards, only got them today and feel connected already. They don't beat around the Bush. 

FLizarraga

I am tempted, but I'm not all that content with CBR's latest. The Good Tarot is bland AF, if you'll pardon my French, and to be frank the only deck of hers I keep on using is the Enchanted Map. I don't know if it was her first, but it was the first of hers I got, and I connected right away with it. To this day, it's one of my favorite oracles, hands down. The other CBR decks I have feel like variations on the same theme.

moderngypsy

I love this deck! It has a very earthy, grounded energy and is very intuitive to work with. It feels like Albert Vidoldo had a lot more to contribute to this than Colette - the energy is very different from the rest of her cards. 

I had posted an unboxing and first impressions on YouTube:

39 minutes ago, moderngypsy said:

I love this deck! It has a very earthy, grounded energy and is very intuitive to work with. It feels like Albert Vidoldo had a lot more to contribute to this than Colette - the energy is very different from the rest of her cards. 

I had posted an unboxing and first impressions on YouTube:

I’m relieved to hear that this deck does not seem to be as influenced by Colette as some of her others. I actually don’t own any of her decks so I can’t contribute much of a personal opinion, but I did hear about the issues people had with her power goddess oracle (if I remember the name correctly?!). And that made me very hesitant to ever purchase something with her name on it. The interview I saw with her did not provide me with a good first impression either. So I’m glad that this deck seem different. I’m a bit hesitant with the use of the word “shaman” these days (not with this deck in particular, just in decks, videos and books in general). I get that it’s hard to find another word for it but, yeah.. Feels a bit like cultural misappropriation. 

By the way, your channel is lovely and I love your intuitive artwork! ❤️

moderngypsy
On 5/12/2019 at 7:21 PM, Raggydoll said:

I’m relieved to hear that this deck does not seem to be as influenced by Colette as some of her others. I actually don’t own any of her decks so I can’t contribute much of a personal opinion, but I did hear about the issues people had with her power goddess oracle (if I remember the name correctly?!). And that made me very hesitant to ever purchase something with her name on it. The interview I saw with her did not provide me with a good first impression either. So I’m glad that this deck seem different. I’m a bit hesitant with the use of the word “shaman” these days (not with this deck in particular, just in decks, videos and books in general). I get that it’s hard to find another word for it but, yeah.. Feels a bit like cultural misappropriation. 

By the way, your channel is lovely and I love your intuitive artwork! ❤️

Yes, there was some backlash on her goddess cards, which I came across on YouTube a while ago. I have her Wisdom if the Oracle deck, which is pretty good and one more deck - I can’t recall the name right now - that I haven’t used as much. This one, though, is just...magical! It’s earthy and grounded and it also is very intuitive...or maybe a better way to put it is it opens up my intuitive channels. 

I agree with you that Shaman  has been over-used; everyone these days calls themselves a Shaman, and it dilutes the teaching I think - partly because as a relative newcomer to this work, it sometimes becomes difficult to separate the lineaged practitioners from the ones who have just adopted the moniker because it’s easy to convey a sense of what they offer. Sorry, I’m not sure that made much sense!

And I’m glad you liked my channel and art! I’ve just started to get more regular with posting art videos on there. 🙂

I just purchased this deck.  It's my very first oracle deck and I really, really love it so far (first impressions,  anyway)  I am going to peruse the deck this week and if anyone would like to trade readings,  that would be lovely! 

Saturn Celeste
On 5/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, FLizarraga said:

but I'm not all that content with CBR's latest.

I agree.  I have all of her earlier stuff but the last deck I bought from her was the Postcards deck and I gave that to someone for Christmas.  I felt like she started to take up the banner that Doreen Virtue left behind.  I just don't care to have too many oracle decks that are similar.  There are so many unique decks that I don't care to have repeats in style and sentiments.

On 6/19/2019 at 4:28 PM, Saturn Celeste said:

I felt like she started to take up the banner that Doreen Virtue left behind. 

I hate even the thought of mixing up CBR with DV, whom I find abhorrent in every possible way, both before and after her conversion to... whatever it is that is making her spout venom nowadays.

And even the clones CBR has been churning out lately are, IMHO, miles above anything DV ever perpetrated. But you're essentially right.

Saturn Celeste
Just now, FLizarraga said:

I hate even the thought of mixing up CBR with DV

Me too but after her Postcards deck, the rest of the ones she put out just really struck me as commercial.  Since she started creating oracle decks, there have been other more outstanding decks that have come out that I would much prefer these days. 

3 minutes ago, Saturn Celeste said:

Me too but after her Postcards deck, the rest of the ones she put out just really struck me as commercial.  Since she started creating oracle decks, there have been other more outstanding decks that have come out that I would much prefer these days. 

Seconded.

1 hour ago, FLizarraga said:

I hate even the thought of mixing up CBR with DV, whom I find abhorrent in every possible way, both before and after her conversion to... whatever it is that is making her spout venom nowadays.

And even the clones CBR has been churning out lately are, IMHO, miles above anything DV ever perpetrated. But you're essentially right.

Give her time, maybe.

Remember Doreen in the early 2000's? She was just some woman with a couple of bland decks. Nothing worth purchasing, but hardly enough to inspire actual loathing. She got crazier in increments. Now she's the B.D. Hyman* of new age.

* "She also claims to have witnessed her mother’s ‘demonic cackling,’ watching her ‘transform into a Satanic figure, [with] a Satanic face, long claws on the end of her hands,’ scraping at the glass of a terrace door during a 1982 trip to her Davis, California home."
source: https://newspunch.com/bette-davis-daughter-my-mom-was-a-witch/

Edited by katrinka

5 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Give her time, maybe.

Remember Doreen in the early 2000's? She was just some woman with a couple of bland decks. Nothing worth purchasing, but hardly enough to inspire actual loathing. She got crazier in increments. Now she's the B.D. Hyman of new age.

B.D. Hyman???!!!!!

scared horror GIF

Saturn Celeste
On 6/21/2019 at 7:31 PM, katrinka said:

* "She also claims to have witnessed her mother’s ‘demonic cackling,’ watching her ‘transform into a Satanic figure, [with] a Satanic face, long claws on the end of her hands,’ scraping at the glass of a terrace door during a 1982 trip to her Davis, California home."
source: https://newspunch.com/bette-davis-daughter-my-mom-was-a-witch/

Oh my, what an interesting article!

See, that's the thing with B.D. Hyman. If she had stuck to the "mommy dearest" clone stuff, we could have believed her. After all, her mother was a hard drinker and smoker, a woman who worked all the time (to put food on the table for all her fracking family of moochers, but that's a whole 'nother tale) and a diva with a notoriously short temper and an acid tongue.

But that "my mother was a witch" shtick made Hyman lose all credibility. Ugh.

On the other hand, there is hard evidence that Bette Davis killed Joan Crawford and ate her liver:

Bette.jpg

Edited by FLizarraga

28 minutes ago, FLizarraga said:

See, that's the thing with B.D. Hyman. If she had stuck to the "mommy dearest" clone stuff, we could have believed her. After all, her mother was a hard drinker and smoker, a woman who worked all the time (to put food on the table for all her fracking family of moochers, but that's a whole 'nother tale) and a diva with a notoriously short temper and an acid tongue.

But that "my mother was a witch" shtick made Hyman lose all credibility. Ugh.

I don't even totally believe Christina. Bette didn't even believe her. While people didn't spare the rod in those days (IIRC, Barbara Stanwyck claims to have been present at the incident where Joan made Christopher eat an entire box of chocolates until he vomited, just because he filched a piece) the whole thing comes off as embellished.

Cathy sued Christina for defamation when Christina went around claiming that Cathy and Cindy weren't really twins. She won. So there's credibility issues.

But admittedly, not transforming-into-a-demonic-being levels of credibility issues. 🤣

28 minutes ago, FLizarraga said:

On the other, there is hard evidence that Bette Davis killed Joan Crawford and ate her liver:

baby+jane.gif