78 Weeks of Tarot: 8 of Wands

Trogon

For information on what these threads refer to, see this thread;

78 Weeks of Tarot - Informational Thread

The above linked thread gives suggested dates for the cards as well as links to the individual topics.

Some of us may be working through the study in a different order and using different decks. If you have general questions or comments regarding the 78 Weeks of Tarot study group, please post in the topic in the above link.

Have fun.

8 of Wands - Fifth Spirit Tarot

IMG_0138.JPG

The card
Eight fireworks rockets are moments away from being fired into the sky, the fuse is already lit. We can see them know, but on a second they will be in such rapid and swift movement that our eyes won’t be able to catch them anymore, carrying their fiery festive load into the sky for a moment of fleeting beauty. The fire within them has direction, movement, even and energy of danger and destruction.

What it means to me

I usually read the 8 as a card of structure, of stability, of order on a higher level, of society even - but this doesn’t fit very well with this fiery energy of swift movement. Except maybe if we see it as a heightened embodiment of the main qualities of the suit element fire - fast, exciting, destructive, moving. 

IMG_0145.JPG

The Smith-Waite & Fifth Spirit Take 
The Smith Waite card always makes me laugh - these 8 wands flying in perfect parallel harmony over the sky. I read somewhere it’s the only card without a human figure in PCS’s minors. Rachel Pollack notes that there still is direction, these wands are going towards the earth, they have a goal and direction. Seems that Waite called them "arrows of love“. 

I really like the Fifth Spirit Take on the card - it gives meaning and purpose to the 8 wands flying on the sky. After New Years, as a child, I was always fascinated with the sticks of rockets from last night’s fireworks, that were all over the ground. The passion and bright, quick, risky energy of fireworks seems like a really good fit for this card. 

In a reading
Spread: Opening of the Book 

10 cups - 8 wands - 7 wands

A different reminder on each side: not to lose the spirit of strength through vulnerability that the 7 wands brought to the table, in this swift movement and the exuberance of the 8. And, from the emotional fulfillment of the 10 of cups: rapid energy and movement doesn’t go anywhere if it’s not filled and balanced with feeling. The sort of joyful fountain of the watery cups as movement, but movement that stays and is constant, not the flash of energy of the firework 8 of wands. 

IMG_0147.JPG

Edited by le_charior

Horribly horribly late but here goes because it was already done but forgot to post.

IMG_2069.thumb.jpg.f2ab41b19b689fe7d14fb2f9272472ea.jpg

8 of Wands - True Black Tarot

The Image

A single central wand hurtles down towards the earth with 7 others following closely behind.  Sparks fly in the air as a result of the pressure these 8 wands exert as they plunge.  Newspaper pages swirl around the wands as they drop carrying unexpected, important and pressing messages.

Keywords:  Action.  Declarations.  Excitement.  Speed.  Messages.

Meaning:  Positive important news is on the way that demands an active response.  The actions here are focused and given that they are coming to grounded earth energy it implies a positive outcome to the actions taken.  

In a Reading:  While I didn't specifically do a spread with this this past week I did have it come up for me in many places.  New work projects began that were not expected and another creative endeavor came to life over the past week as well.  Focused, excited energy and yet grounded in practical application has been my past week with the 8 of Wands.

Short and sweet as I am so so late.

4 hours ago, SheBeast said:

In a Reading:  While I didn't specifically do a spread with this this past week I did have it come up for me in many places.  New work projects began that were not expected and another creative endeavor came to life over the past week as well.  Focused, excited energy and yet grounded in practical application has been my past week with the 8 of Wands.

Wonderful card, and wonderful to read your take on it again, @SheBeast! And how great that the energy of the card showed up in your week so much! Thanks for sharing!

I’m also a bit late posting this one. 

Deck: Tabula Mundi

Card: 8 of Wands - Lord of Swiftness

First Decan of Sagittarius ruled by Mercury 

Hod of Atziluth/Fire

Trumps: Art, Magus

Thoughts:

There is a strong mercurial influence to this card with the decan and its placement in Hod. It is this with gives it that lightning speed. 
The caduceus wand has come over from its related trump, Magus and the prismatic rays and rainbow from the top of the wand hark back to the rainbow on Art. I love how this deck makes those relationships between the cards so clear and easy to follow. 
The winged sandals of Mercury are present suggesting his swift movement and also the role of messenger. There is some very interesting detail in the guidebook about Iris who is also connected to rainbows. I did not know that she was associated with divine messages and the start of new endeavours. 

It indicates those times when brilliant ideas come seemingly out of nowhere - like a lightbulb. Because they come so fast, it can be easy to miss them and so it would be prudent to note them down before they fade as quickly as they came. Divine communication could also be shown here. 

182225A8-4645-45DD-875F-7101AD345F67.jpeg

Oh wow @Flaxen I really love the look of this card!  I'm not a bright color person but this composition is fantastic.  I love the interpretation as well.  Ideas out of nowhere.  Yes!

Edited by SheBeast

@SheBeast, @le_charior I love both the cards you’ve shared. Such a strong sense of swift movement in both of them. Interesting that one has the upward motion and one has downward. I wonder if that would change my interpretation slightly if I saw it in a reading...

Edited by Flaxen

On 3/25/2021 at 4:09 PM, Flaxen said:

@SheBeast, @le_charior I love both the cards you’ve shared. Such a strong sense of swift movement in both of them. Interesting that one has the upward motion and one has downward. I wonder if that would change my interpretation slightly if I saw it in a reading...

Beautiful card from your deck as well, @Flaxen! I am usually not so much about key words on the cards, but Swiftness is a great one for this card, and I love the sandals and the caduceus, and the richness of symbolism overall!