Pondering the use of spells

Arch

So I've been pondered the use of spells.

Since I have the modern spell casters tarot I figured I'd use one of the cards to cast a spell.

In particular in relation to a situation I have in mind.

I decided to trust that the universe would hand me the card I needed.

I drew Ten of swords.

swords_10.png

Now according to my Spellcasters manual,

it can be used against someone who has a lot of karma coming for them.

Or reversed it can lift old pain and betrayal.

To me reversing it seems in order, as I'm not a person who likes to actively go after others,

deserved or not, unless I'm in the throes of anger, which I'm certainly not at this time.

Now for me this is the critical point, I've reversed it, now how should I go about invoking it?

After reading the manual a bit, I guess I need to direct a sort of prayer/request or similar at some higher power.

It really depends on what one views as that higher power.

Personally I view the image of God as that higher power.

Meaning that I in some way should look in that direction.

I guess I then will attach the reversed ten of swords to a messenger.

I'll use an angle image as a messenger to God so to speak,

the spell then being an invocation of Gods support for my cause, so to speak.

Sort of like an advanced prayer ritual with Tarot.

greg-staples-86905-cn.jpg?1475149734

It was interesting to construct this ritual, now I will actually try to use it.

Thanks for sharing! Creating spells and rituals can be such a fun and creative process. And I’ve found that the more I enjoy the actual creation of it, the better results I get  :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing! Creating spells and rituals can be such a fun and creative process. And I’ve found that the more I enjoy the actual creation of it, the better results I get  :thumbsup:

Yeah I imagine if it isn't fun and meaningful, ones heart isn't in it,

and one ends up creating and doing something that is mostly dead and useless.

I sat thinking about this whole thing this morning, and since I'm so inclined,

I wondered what would happen if one appealed to a lower power.

Like what is actually the difference between appealing to the highest ideal,

vs like trying to gain the favor of the lowest.

Not that I plan of actually going that way, for obvious reasons,

but in trying to understand the landscape I'm looking at,

it pays to not underestimate the pull of the shadow.

I guess I'd need to contact messengers like this

latest?cb=20170626154450

Thinking about who these devils might be in my own life is sort of the puzzle here.

I kinda know where to find the God image, yet finding the base and low is somewhat more elusive.

Maybe cause admitting it would be painful.

But I guess it is everything that does not strive for good, but prolongs suffering.

Like me making rituals that aim to attack other people to ramp up conflicts etc.

Like if I would have kept the ten of swords upright, and prayed for certain people getting their life destroyed.

Then I would need the lower powers.

Edit:

Thinking more on this while shaving, I don't think it is that simple.

I can send both these requests both upward and downward.

"Help me overcome pain and betrayal."

"Help me overcome my foes and enemies."

If it is sent upward to the god image, then the solution would become good.

If it is sent down it would in some ways be twisted and undermining,

even if on the surface what one is asking seems good.

I personally think about these prayers as a conscious effort to do things we already do all day anyway.

It is just more magnified and potent, after all we run around hoping, wishing, cursing and swearing all day long.

This is more or less just a focused hope or a focused curse.

As for swearing, it reminds me of the most common swear word in my language.

Everyone uses it, few understands it.

"Faen" which is a short form of saying "Fanden" which means the devil.

Specifically this guy in folklore.

190px-Image-Schedel%27sche_Weltchronik-Devil_man.jpg

You and I speak a similar language, as you may know  ;). Here we say ‘fan’. But ‘helvete’ is the word that fascinates me the most. It’s interesting how the mother goddess Hel (= Whole) had her original identity bastardized so badly. She was the one that could make you ‘hel’ (=whole) and she could ‘hela’ (=heal) what was broken. Sorry to go off on such a tangent but these aspects are important to my view and practice of magic. I work a lot with the divine feminine, but that does not mean that I lack respect or reverence for the divine masculine (I really don’t!) so I’m hoping this isn’t coming off as offensive to you and your faith.

I am seriously surprised that there is a spellcaster's manual that comes with the suggestion of doing something against someone. The whole idea of someone who has a lot of karmic weight against them, is that karma will take care of it. It's not our place to push her hand and if so done, can have karmic consequences. Doing anything against anyone is considered black magic. Doing anything that impacts someone negatively or tries to manipulate their will, is black magic. I am glad you are already on the side of light in your consciousness, but I am a bit worried for those reading such a manual without any experience or knowledge.

Does the guide talk about circle casting?

Thanks for sharing!

You and I speak a similar language, as you may know  ;). Here we say ‘fan’. But ‘helvete’ is the word that fascinates me the most. It’s interesting how the mother goddess Hel (= Whole) had her original identity bastardized so badly. She was the one that could make you ‘hel’ (=whole) and she could ‘hela’ (=heal) what was broken. Sorry to go off on such a tangent but these aspects are important to my view and practice of magic. I work a lot with the divine feminine, but that does not mean that I lack respect or reverence for the divine masculine (I really don’t!) so I’m hoping this isn’t coming off as offensive to you and your faith.

Oh not at all offended, I find it enlightening that you are sharing, I didn't know that. :)

I think you will find that my view of religion is quite pragmatic, I after all view my God as an Image,

as I don't really think I can even begin to comprehend the mysterious forces that is behind everything.

Yet I still carry this image in my head of a white bearded man in the sky.

I don't for a second believe that to be the case, but the image doesn't go away.

It is just my subjective impression burned into my unconscious.

I am seriously surprised that there is a spellcaster's manual that comes with the suggestion of doing something against someone. The whole idea of someone who has a lot of karmic weight against them, is that karma will take care of it. It's not our place to push her hand and if so done, can have karmic consequences. Doing anything against anyone is considered black magic. Doing anything that impacts someone negatively or tries to manipulate their will, is black magic. I am glad you are already on the side of light in your consciousness, but I am a bit worried for those reading such a manual without any experience or knowledge.

Does the guide talk about circle casting?

Thanks for sharing!

Well, it doesn't spell out do bad things towards others, but for the Ten of swords it says this.

Use in spells to cause a person's karma to swiftly catch up with them

Knight of swords

use to hinder progress or to cause those involved in a conflict to back down or call a truce.

It doesn't really surprise me as it was self published by a witch.

Many people are very okay with the dark shadow side of life.

This deck isn't one to spur the shadow to put it like that.

I like it like that, even though I'm not dark enough to take that path,

I feel pretty okay with the darkness being there, it makes it more complete.

Just look at the death and devil cards, they are as dark as they should be.

major-13.png

major-15.png

Yeah it does mention circles briefly.

I personally don’t use the terminology of good vs bad/black magic but I respect those that do. It’s a matter of how one views things. I resonate much more with high vs low magic. High is not considered as better, they are just two different types of practices with different methods and different goals. Benebell Wen has made a really good YouTube video on the topic and I agree with her definitions. Basically, high magic has a very ritualistic approach and the goal is usually spiritual growth and enlightenment. Low magic is more like folk magic and it has more practical goals, such as luck, love, protection and so on. It can often be improvised, using tools and herbs that is readily available. In contrast, high magic often involve elaborate and planned rituals with components/tools that are harder to source. Timing is also much more important, and so is physical preparation (fasting isn’t uncommon). Clearly there will spells that cross these boundaries and are a mix of both ways. You can for instance do ritualistic low magic where you cast circles, use elaborate ingredients and so on, but when the goal is still considered to be more practical/material than spiritual. Again, Benebell explained this way better than I ever could.

Yes, I've watched a couple of Benebell Wen's videos before, I like her.

I think my approach is more low magick than anything.

I never had much patience for elaborate rituals.

As for good/bad or white/black, I think that distinction goes beyond low and high magick.

After all it is about the heart and soul of the practitioner

and has little to do with how things are done on a practical or symbolic level in terms of ritual.

You can have both white and black high magick, and also white and black low magick.

It does indeed connect with faith and the very people we are discussing might disagree on the way they are described here.

What is dark or white is not always for us to decide, as their subjective stance matters.

Still some people embrace what I would call low states of being, even if they to them are high ideals.

While others embrace high states of being even if others look down upon them for it.

It is indeed a pretty tangled landscape and not one that easily lets itself be communicated.

In my experience one ends up debating discourse and its nuances, and never gets to the heart of the matter.