78 Weeks of Tarot: Ace of Wands

17 minutes ago, Flaxen said:

I love the Ace of Wands from the Deviant Moon deck @surreal - lots of people find the deck a bit creepy but I’ve always loved the characters in it. It reads incredibly well for me and it’s so nice to see someone working with it in this group. :classic_smile:

Patrick Valenza says of the deck:

"On first impressions the Deviant Moon may appear to some as a dark deck.......you will finf that this is hardly the case.This is a deck about self empowerment. The deviant Moon merely asks you to look within yourself..."

I think the deck has dark elements but so does life. I do find it disturbing but it reads well for me and the tension between me and it is a creative one.

On 9/15/2020 at 6:24 AM, Grace said:

The fire provides the energy to create, to thrive, to become, to gain, to energise. I get a sense of fierce determination with this card, one that has the potential to create many marvellous things, but also to destroy if not nurtured carefully and in good time.

Yes I felt something similar with the Deviant Moon ace. Surrounding cards might be important. Some swords might not be good with it.

I had been trying to grasp fleeting images that came with the card and I had a memory of a small fire which spread into a very large dangerous one. Being unsure where it fitted I did not include it in my post. However I know see how it could fit.

Good on you for getting it done @surreal! Some weeks are going to be tricky and feel rushed, but I don't think you were 'late'. In fact, you got in with time to spare!
I love this card, the crown or halo of trees over her head is my favourite feature. I like the Madonna and Child reference, and also the idea that an Angel has a singular mission or purpose. This one seems to be in charge or looking after that flame/child, and perhaps ensuring that transformation continues throughout the life cycle - from creepy bug thing to moth (or butterfly). Funny how moths are drawn to flames. 🤔

I am one of those who find the Deviant Moon deck a bit too creepy for my taste but I love the way you find so much depth in this card, @surreal! This makes me look at the deck in a very different point of view. I can see now how the deck can read well. Thank you for sharing this!

23 hours ago, Kati said:

I am one of those who find the Deviant Moon deck a bit too creepy for my taste but I love the way you find so much depth in this card, @surreal! This makes me look at the deck in a very different point of view. I can see now how the deck can read well. Thank you for sharing this!

Thanks for your comments. I am still working out why I am doing this deck.I can think of lots of explanations but none of them really fit.

Ah, the Aces. This has always been a lazy card for me. While reading I tend to start my thought process with the concept of "beginnings". I guess that is a good starting place, but when giving a deeper reading, I try to let the imagery broaden the scope of my analysis. The problem is, Aces tend to be minimalistic from a visual standpoint. So it goes with the Phantasmagoric Theater.

IMG_0286.thumb.jpeg.1440cfe1e2a7c731c82c18b309279b44.jpeg

This Ace is a "magic" wand, which, while still evoking creativity, also points to something otherwordly happening here. The fire that is framing (note that it is not enveloping the wand) still indicates a creative beginning. In fact, perhaps the flames are being conjured by the wand and that is why they are being controlled. The club, an indication of the playing cards that descended the tarot, also shows me that there may be some gambling going on here, like there is an element of chance. The new project being started may be a high risk, but there is more indicating that since the flames are being held at bay, it may be a calculated gamble.

The Mythic Tarot

Ace of Wands

The ace of wands reacquaints is with Zeus who we were first introduced to in the Emperor card. Here he is standing, wearing regal purple robes, a gold crown and holding a globe of the world in his right hand. In his left he holds a large flaming staff and over his right shoulder is draped his sacred golden fleece. Behind Zeus is a clear blue sky and a range of snow capped mountains. 

The suit of wands will take us through the quest of Jason and the argonauts in their pursuit and acquisition of the golden fleece. As an age, Jason hasn't begun his quest yet, in fact he hasn't even planned it yet. Zeus stands before us as an inspiration. His appearance on this card is a personification of a thought. Jason will embark on a journey to obtain the golden fleece and Zeus, here with his flaming wand will light the vision that will eventually become the idea behind that quest. 

Keywords: creativity, imagination, inspiration, ideas, quest or journey that will test you, challenge, new goal. 

20200917_163607.thumb.jpg.1ecb6409d99dc7c4f59a7d8056bd0b01.jpg