Decks with personalities? Is this weird?

Guest Night Shade

Guest Night Shade

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=159048

by taylorkiteling

I've noticed that my various decks tend to have different attitudes. My Universal Waite is very straightforward; my Lo Scarabeo is very gentle; and my Mystic Faerie deck, oddly, is almost cruel. (This may be because it's new and we're still getting to know each other.) My Mystic Faerie deck likes to show the problems in my life (or the life of the person I'm reading for); my Lo Scarabeo likes to show the positive things.

Do you notice different decks focusing on different things? I didn't really notice this until I got my Mystic Faerie deck. I was looking for a lighthearted, fun deck, and while the art is lovely and fun and light, the deck's personality is almost bitter.

Since I'm super new to tarot, so far, I haven't picked up on a personality in my decks. They mostly respond to me based on how I'm feeling. Like if I'm not mentally well, having headache etc. they won't respond to a question for the querent, but instead, give answers for myself.

When time passes and if I get more decks and readings done, I'd love to see if there's a personality for my deck =O

That's really cool though =O

Guest Night Shade

Some of my decks do seem to have their own distinct personalities.  The Celtic Tarot has a very no-nonsense, "tell-it-like-it-is" way of presenting its message.  The Celtic Dragon Tarot tends to gives me the message kindly but firmly.  The Happy Tarot always puts a happy spin on things, no matter how hard the lesson is.  The Crystal Visions Tarot is sometimes hard to fathom, but but it always brings enlightening messages.  The Dark Angels Tarot seems to focus it's attention on my shadow side.  And the RWS and Hanson-Roberts Decks give pretty straightforward answers. 

I don't know if I get different kinds of readings from these decks because of their artwork, or because I ask different types of questions of each of them, or if they each channel a unique style of energy, but whatever the reason, they really do have their own way of speaking.

AnomalyTempest

Right now I have 10 decks. They each have their own personalities and they are like having a group of friends. Tarot Nova is the funniest deck but her humor can be very inappropriate. My RWS is like a grandmother. Older and wiser and more serious. My Steampunk Tarot (Matthews/Kinghan version) is harder to get to know. This deck is kind of RWS based but the imagery is new to me so it's to be expected.

I use them all almost daily. I like to talk things over with my "friends". Just like people, it is harder to get to know some of them while others (my Golden Universal, for instance) are just really friendly and easy to relate to. To get help with getting to know the "harder" decks, I a)do all the spreads that come with their books, b)rotate my decks to use with new books, spreads, or methods I pick up from other places. If I end up with a ton of decks this method may not work, but at present, it's going well.

DevonCarter

I've noticed my Joie de Vivre is honest, but hopeful.  The Centennial RW is kind of "down to business". The Deviant Moon is downright snarky and very literal, everything I ask it I pretty much look at the card and laugh and say "well yeah, of course. I was hoping for a little deeper than that." Being a collector at heart, I have too many decks... so I haven't spent the time too discover the personality of each one, but they do all have different feels. I tend to choose whichever one I'm drawn to for a specific day or reading.

Oh yeeeees!!! Totally agree...

When I saw your post I smiled, saying to myself "what a wonderful idea" and suddely popped up from nowhere the image of my deck (Belline Oracle) with whom I have a really weird  relationship. I used to work with it a lot and now it's as if it  was angry at me. Now he remains mute. I cannot read it anymore!

So happy to see that I'm not alone here... <3 <3 <3

Ofcourse they do  :D  If you're into anthropomorphising.

Different artwork plus different individual looking on = getting different flavours from different decks.

I have spell decks (decks that I use for magick and ritual) for different purposes depending on the "character" that they convey.  And use different decks according to my

mood.

If reading for the public - I'll always try to use what I think comes across as "appropriate" in feel and visual impact for the querent.

Ohhhhhh yes my decks have personalities  ;D  They each have their tone in which they deliver messages.  The Joie de Vivre is very empathetic, the Fantastic Menagerie delivers messages in a very social commentary sort of way, The Tarot of the Sidhe rips off the bandaids and tells me the hard truths, The Bohemian Gothic is just brutal and honest, The Victorian Fairy Tarot is very straight forward and to the point, The Tarot of the Sweet Twilight brings out the bitter sweet in things, The Alice Tarot likes to transport me to Wonderland and sometimes even speak in riddles but at the end of the reading it is all clear, the Comsic Tribe is honest, straightforward, in your face and full of energy.

This is why I collect decks and like to use various decks because the message delivery, or their personalities if you will, can really enhance my readings.

Yes, totally agree that different decks have different personalities.  I only have a very small collection compared to some people (yes, I'm envious!  ;D ) but will definitely pick up one deck or another depending on what I'm looking for.  E.g. No nonsense advice = Thoth.  A hug = Everyday Witch.  A chat = Shadowscapes.  (And my RWS has no sense of humour but sometimes that's right too...)

Yes, totally agree that different decks have different personalities.  I only have a very small collection compared to some people (yes, I'm envious!  ;D ) but will definitely pick up one deck or another depending on what I'm looking for.  E.g. No nonsense advice = Thoth.  A hug = Everyday Witch.  A chat = Shadowscapes.  (And my RWS has no sense of humour but sometimes that's right too...)

Shadowscapes is so poetic in how it delivers messages.  The Everyday Witch is fun and upbeat.

Guest libra

For me, it breaks down even further into individual decks having different personalities - even if they are the "same" deck. Like, I have 2 copies of Shadowscapes and one is bright and bubbly and friendly, and one is quiet and graceful and gets deeper.

Wolfboy's versions of decks that I also own tend to be more... Expansive? I hold his deck and it's like getting pulled into outer space and talking to a nebula (his Prisma Visions lol). My version of Prisma is this sassy kid who is me to go die in a fire if I ask to many repetitive questions.

Mindful Tarot recently made a video about this that you guys might interesting!

Jewel[/member] Yes, I agree that "poetic" is a good word for the Shadowscapes.  I think that's where I get the sense of chatting from - I have to sit down with it and spend time puzzling out what it's trying to say. It talks in metaphors!  :)

Saturn Celeste

I'm not sure if it's the personality of the deck or the properties.  It can also be the power I imbue my decks with by using them a certain way.  For example, I love to use my Thelema deck for romantic readings.  The deck is so beautiful and the colors flow beautifully, it makes me feel tranquil and through tranquility come sensuality.  For a long time I used my Mibramig deck (it has a Happy Squirrel) for Gemini sitters.  The deck is so funny and so quirky, I found that many Geminis did like it along with other signs.  Both the Sola Busca and Manara have similar senses of humor because I relate the artwork to Italian humor.  All I know is whether it is personality or properties of the deck, if it's readable and works for you, then hell yea!

I don't know if I get different kinds of readings from these decks because of their artwork, or because I ask different types of questions of each of them, or if they each channel a unique style of energy, but whatever the reason, they really do have their own way of speaking.

Yes, I do believe you and I are saying the same thing.  At least very similar!  I'm also going to take an additional step here and present my theory about making the card, the printing process.  I know many people feel it is ink but I feel the card itself goes through an alchemical process therefore it is added to a deck.  It undergoes some kind of electrical stimulation from the hardware printing it.  As an air sign, I firmly believe in the electric properties of air and feel that cards are more or less brought to life in a Frankenstein type way.  It is the alchemy applied to the card that gives us a connection to the card when we touch it.  Some get this and some don't.  It might depend on the batch it is printed in.  Personalities?  Properties?  >:D

I do notice some quirks in my older decks, newer one, still can't quite grasp it yet. My first deck, Harmonious Tarot, has a motherly feel to her, but also very stern, I get this very soothing feeling whenever I use it. Rumi Oracle is that one outgoing friend who supports you no matter what choice you'd make (so, not very suitable for situations that require one to be logical ;D but I still appreciate a mental cheerleader), meanwhile Raven's Prophecy is more distant, and refuse to work when self doubts is present,...ect.

It kinda feels like the decks were sent to you because they're a type of person that you need in your life, to help with your growth.  :think:

Have anyone try those interview spreads on the old aeclectic forum ? I find it quite interesting and might be somewhat useful to have a better understanding at your deck's personalities

Have anyone try those interview spreads on the old aeclectic forum ? I find it quite interesting and might be somewhat useful to have a better understanding at your deck's personalities

Yes I have used them, and they can be helpful.

I don't think decks have personalities but I do think various ones will appeal to different facets of our own personalities and bring them to the fore when we read.