78 Weeks of Tarot: The Hierophant

Trogon

For information on what these threads refer to, see this thread;

78 Weeks of Tarot - Informational Thread

The above linked thread gives suggested dates for the cards as well as links to the individual topics.

Some of us may be working through the study in a different order and using different decks. If you have general questions or comments regarding the 78 Weeks of Tarot study group, please post in the topic in the above link.

Have fun.

From Wiki:

In many modern packs, the Hierophant is represented with his right hand raised in what is known esoterically as the blessing or benediction, with two fingers pointing skyward and two pointing down, thus forming a bridge between Heaven and Earth reminiscent of that formed by the body of The Hanged Man. The Hierophant is thus a true “pontiff”, in that he is the builder of the bridge between deity and humanity. In his left hand he held a triple cross. The Hierophant is typically male, even in decks that take a feminist view of the Tarot, such as the Motherpeace Tarot. The Hierophant was also known as "The Teacher of Wisdom."

In most iconographic depictions, the Hierophant is seen seated on a throne between two pillars symbolizing Law and Liberty or obedience and disobedience, according to different interpretations. He wears a triple crown, and the keys to Heaven are at his feet. Sometimes he is shown with worshippers, as his alternate title is the Pope or, sometimes, Jupiter.[1] The card is also known as "The High Priest," as a counterpart to "The High Priestess" (which itself is also sometimes known as "The Papess," as counterpart to "The Pope").

History

The papacy was not just a religious force, but was a political and military force as well. When the tarot was invented, the Pope controlled a large portion of central Italy known as the Papal States. Renaissance culture did not question the abstract ideal of the Pope as God's human representative on Earth. In Tarot of Marseilles, he wears a red cape and a blue robe, in contrast to The Papess, who wears a blue cape and blue robe.

The more commonly encountered modern name "Hierophant" is due to Antoine Court de Gébelin. According to de Gebelin, "hierophant" was the title of the chief priest in the Eleusinian mysteries (an ancient Greek ritual).

Alternative decks

In Swiss Troccas decks, he is depicted as Jupiter, the Roman King of the Gods.

In the "Flemish Deck" by Vandenborre (c.1750-1760), the High Priest is replaced with Bacus (Bacchus). It shows the God of Wine with his head and waist wreathed in grape leaves. He is seated astride a tapped cask of wine while he drinks from a wine bottle in his left hand.

In the Vikings Tarot the Hierophant is Odin with his two ravens, Hugin and Munin, and his two wolves, Geri and Freki.

In the X/1999 Tarot version made by CLAMP, The Hierophant is Aoki Seiichirou.

In the Lord of the Rings Tarot Deck, Gandalf the White is the Hierophant.

In Howard Rodway's Tarot Of The Old Path the Hierophant is called The High Priest. He sits on a golden throne accompanied by the heads of a ram and an elephant, along with a raven in the foreground.

In the Tarot of the Saints, the Hierophant is St. Peter who is also considered the first pope.

In the Mythic Tarot deck, the Hierophant is depicted as Chiron, the learned centaur.

Meanings:

from tarotwikipedia

Upright:

Traditions, rituals and ceremony.

Spiritual guidance.

Support and structure in your community.

A teacher.

Following the rules.

Following a leader.

Having faith.

Being a role model.

Asking the big questions about life and death.

Being in control over your emotions.

Reversed:

Corruption

Hypocrisy

Breaking the rules

Pillars represent mercy and severity (tarotwikipedia)

Deck: Fairytale Tarot

Card name: The Hierophant

First impressions:

The Hierophant here is an elderly guru. He has a long white beard. He wears a long yellow robe and a matching yellow turban. Over the robe he wears a loose gray jacket. His feet are bare. He speaks with a young man, also barefoot but more colorfully dressed, who, with his palm turned up, looks like he is asking him a question. The guru points up with his right hand, with his left he holds the bottom of his jacket across his waist. They are standing on green grass beside a path. On the other side of the path is more grass. Behind that, the landscape turns rocky and mountainous. There is a large castle in the distance. The sky is blue -- maybe it is near sunrise or sunset.

This is a recognizable hierophant in spite of his differences from the traditional image. He looks wise and thoughtful.

From the book:

Keywords and phrases: Taking advice from authorities; being obedient rather than rebellious, respecting rules and guidance, seeking or giving tuition, conforming to institutions and established structures.

The five wise words are actually five rules:

Always obey the orders of him whose service you enter

Never speak harshly or unkindly to anyone

Never lie

Never try to appear the equal to those above you in station

Whenever you meet those who read or teach from the holy books, stay and listen for a while

The Hierophant tells us the hard truth that in fact we do at times have to be willing to submit to those individuals or institutions with more knowledge or experience [than ourselves]. This is not a bad thing, and in fact we can learn a great deal from the realization that discipline and authority are by no means negative when they are combined with wisdom.

A guru is a sympathetic Hierophant because you voluntarily discipline yourself, you seek them out precisely because you need their guidance and are willing to follow it. The young man in this story follows the advice of his guru without question. By obeying unquestioningly he escapes the traps laid for him and achieves success and contentment.

One problematic rule of the guru’s is “never try to appear the equal to those above you in station.” That is not something we like to hear these days. Maybe it works if we can think of it as “don’t marry or form partnerships for the sake of status.” The central theme of the story, which is about navigating powerful and potentially treacherous political structures with honor, can strike a chord in all of us.

The Hierophant in Tarot is always honest and upstanding, and can teach us--albeit in a strict way--that following “the rules” in a good-hearted and honorable manner can indeed lead to happiness.

The original story:

“The Five Wise Words of the Guru,” a Punjabi story from The Olive Fairy Book by Andrew Lang

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/lfb/ol/olfb16.htm

Traditional meanings:

Group identity, large institutions, education, teaching, learning, tradition, orthodoxy, the status quo, religion, a guru or teacher, spiritual guidance, occult or mystical groups, divine laws, seeking counsel and advice, cults, false gods/gurus, abuse of position and/or power, extremism, the closing of schools, hospitals & social services, withdrawal of education services, rejection of religion, breakdown of crisis talks.

My impressions of the card/story combination:

I think the first rule can also be problematic for the modern reader, but perhaps it can be revised a little to add “as long as it doesn’t hurt anybody else,” or “and if you feel the orders are wrong, you must leave your position.”

On the whole, though, I think this is a good representation of the Hierophant. I have always had a little trouble distinguishing the Hierophant from the Emperor, since to me they both seem concerned with authority: one of the earthly kind, and one of religion or tradition. In this story, the Rajah is the Emperor figure, and the hero of the story serves him, but in a way that allows him to follow the guru’s teachings. By doing so, he navigates the treacherous political channels. It seems to me that that wouldn’t always be the case. You’ve got to serve somebody, in the words of Dylan, and if you choose to serve the guru, you might get into trouble with the Emperor. Luckily for the hero of this story, that was not the case.

I guess the important thing to remember is that it’s always wise to take the high road, follow the golden rule, etc. We all need reminders to be our best selves, and that is what the Hierophant, in his positive aspects, is here to do.

I really like rule no. 5 -- to stop and listen to wisdom when you encounter it. That’s really great advice in this day and age when everything is rushing past and we don’t necessarily see the importance of slowing down enough to really listen.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it):

I think I would see the importance of consulting a source of wisdom when I had doubts about what to do. My source wouldn’t be a guru -- it would probably be a book or even my own conscience, but I like the way the card depicts a regular person asking what is to him obviously a very important question. If you don’t ask the question, you probably won’t find the answer. That’s another point that I think I might see if I drew this card that I might not have thought about before.

Hierophant.thumb.jpg.ba61f2c8443a0db5423dc2522efafd38.jpg

The Hierophant - Everyday Witch Tarot (Alba & Blake, Llewellyn 2017)

Description:

Three people are sitting in yoga positions on white mats. One is the teacher and two are students.

What action is going on:

No-one is moving but there is a feeling of energy. The action is inner, meditative.

Images and Symbolism:

There are not many symbols. The quadrangle pattern on the wallpaper behind the teacher is interesting. It symbolises wholeness and balance and I see it as the ability to use of all four functions of the psyche (Jungian). It signifies maturity and enlightenment.

Colours:

dark grey/black -clothes

pale green background

apricot/peach coloured floor

This card encourages to:

-listen to your inner voice

-slow down

-intuit & meditate

-study, learn, teach

Warns against:

-self-centeredness

-dogmatic know-it-all attitude

Traditional meanings (J. Bunning):

-Belief systems and values; rituals, cultural heritage, world view

-Education; becoming informed, studying and learning, deeper meaning

-Conforming; following the rules, adapting, fitting in

-Group; devoting energy to a group, working as part of a team

From the Book:

-Stop and breathe

-Are you walking your talk?

-Hierophany = The manifestation of the sacred (-wow, I did not know this!)

-It is about creating a bridge between the mundane everyday life and the beliefs that shape our personal truths.

Sallie Nichols: (in Jung and Tarot. An Archetypal Journey. Weiser 1984)

She is talking at length about the Pope and Christianity and the equality of women -and the symbolism of number five. Somehow, I did not find most of that relevant or interesting in my study of this card. This card speaks a very different language where Christianity or the equality of the sexes is not relevant at all simply because they have come so far beyond it.

Notes:

-I was wondering about the dark grey/black outfits that everyone has here (-not very usual in yoga class) but that is probably to remind us that these women are witches

-I love that apricot/peach colored floor!

Hierophant.thumb.jpg.03466df956318569038f4b8ce2e6cafa.jpg

Find your place. Root into deeper soil. Feel held by the shape the world offers you or recongize if you need to resist it. Shore up your single self through collaboration. Join forces with lineages, unbroken and renewed. Question whatever feels restrictive in your group. Balance the "I" with the "We". See yourself as part of history, of generations.

tumblr_oyhsq7tY991uouc0bo3_540.jpg

Art by Anson Cyr

Note: A lot of this is cross-posted from my Comparative Tarot post on this card.

The Guild is the rename for the Hierophant in this deck. This name helps avoid the religious connotations that can often bog down this card, and this card is probably one of the most secular Hierophants I’ve seen.

The Hierophant is, at its core, about traditions and institutions, and the Guild helps bring that core meaning back to more widespread, secular applications. We often interpret this card as being about conformity and what our culture has instilled in us at large, but the word choice of “guild” helps us remember that this card works on smaller levels as well. No matter how counter-culture you are, you undoubtedly belong to some kind of group. School, work, friend circles, social networks, collectives... Yes, even your religious and/or spiritual peers, whether your religion is organized or not. These groups can influence us, both in good and bad ways. They can be a great source of growth and comradery, or they could be suffocating you in ways you don't even realize.

The only symbolism that matches the traditional is the apperance of the triple cross. The circle above could be interpreted as either a waxing or wanning cresent, symbolizing growth and transition. Opposite of it is an eye, symbolizing the stifling surviellience that goes on within institutions big and small. The morning glories and cotton plants, along with the rain, again point to growth. However, the multi-colored rainshower brings to mind acid rain, which can symbolize toxic lessons we internalize from others, and cotton has a storied history in the South connected to systematic oppression and slavery. The cicada in the center of the image can symbolize community and the individual within (they're often heard in a chorus, but are often seen as symbols of transformation) but also—according to ancient Greek philosophers—symbolize liminality that connects the card to the more religious message of the Hierophant.

Reversed: Reproducing old patterns under the guise of innovation. When groups our institutions break down, impose your own order and discipline.

tinyterrarium

Decks- The Fairytale Tarot by Magic Realist Press and the Fairy Tale Tarot by Lisa Hunt

Card Name and Fairytale

5 The Hierophant, "The Five Wise Words of the Guru"

5 The Mentor, "Puss in Boots"

Visual Analysis

What are the possible symbolic elements?  (Alberti, 2011)

MRP: Guru's hand gesture, sculpture in rock

L.H.: Shadows, forest, bag, feathers near belt

How does the structure of a picture- or any visual art form- affect our emotional response? (Bang, 2016, p. xiv)

MRP: My eye focuses on the vertical buildings in the background and then shifts to the guru's hand pointing upward. The facial expressions and gestures communicate that a conversation is taking place. Ram holds his hand out as if to protest and the guru silences him. The contrast between the red rocks and green grass also draws my attention to the figures. This scene is at the beginning of the tale where the guru tells Ram the five teachings to remember.

L.H.: Puss n' Boots is in the middle of the card and center of attention. His stance is confident and the light shining from the right side of the image creates a lot of shadows. It reminds me of an explorer posing in an old National Geographic magazine. I think this scene it towards the end of the story when he races through the forest telling the people to credit the Count.

Wisdom from the Hero’s Journey  (Fiction, n.d.)

What lessons has the hero learned about him or herself on this journey? What are we (the spectators) supposed to learn from the journey?

Both stories involve young men becoming independent. Ram decides to leave the village for a better future and the miller's son has lost a parent and inherited a cat. I think their success lies in listening to other for help. If Ram dismissed the guru as an old man or the miller's son killed Puss n' boots, their futures would have changed drastically. The guru has sound advice and rules from Ram to follow and Puss n' Boots bucks all convention with his philosophy of fake it till you make it. Both approaches can work.

Interpretation

Rachel Pollack “When I do readings for myself- contrary to popular belief, most Tarot readers read for themselves all the time- I do not try to uncover or make predictions, but instead, seek the wisdom of the cards. Because they “speak” in pictures, we can ponder what they say for a long time. Here are three questions, simple yet challenging.

What do I know? The Emperor is associated with education, belief, systems, and conformity according to Joan Bunning. The RWS Hierophant is a stern looking man with followers at his feet.

What have I forgotten? Hierophants are there to help you make up your philosophy. At his/her worst the Hierophant can be dogmatic and demand complete obedience. At his/her best the Hierophant tells you what they know, encourages critical thinking and experiencing the world for yourself.

What do I need to know and must never forget? The best approach to living in society, a world full of people and rules, is a mixed one. Have some principles and be willing to fake it until you make it.

References

Alberti, G. (2011). Symbolism within the Tarot and Comparative Visual Analysis: A Proposed Methodology for the Study of the Tarot as Applied to the Ride Waite Smith Deck. Retrieved from conservancy.umn.edu: https://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/11299/116801

Bang, M. (2016). Picture This How Pictures Work. San Francisco: Chronicle Books LLC.

Fiction, K. G. (n.d.). Science Fiction Writers Workshop: Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey. Retrieved from http://www.sfcenter.ku.edu/Workshop-stuff/Joseph-Campbell-Hero-Journey.htm

Hunt, L. (2009). Once Upon a Time. Woodbury: Llewellyn .

Mahony, K. (2005). The Fairytale Tarot. London: Magic Realist Press.

Heirophant.jpg.b24293cf25a4475034b0ee39666dd516.jpg

Haindl Tarot - V The Hierophant

First Impressions:

Much darker than the previous cards, with the star field it has a feeling of nighttime. An old man holds a golden key and a book. There is a brilliant point of light behind him. He holds the key and knowledge to "God". However, the area where that light shines has the appearance of a man-made structure, leaving me thinking this is all a construct of man-kind. There is also a person to the side (face in profile) and the back of the head of another. We also see the 3rd person's hands held in prayer/supplication. These bring to mind people who come to the Hierophant to receive his blessing and his knowledge of "God".

Symbols: (Garnered from the "Haindl Tarot Volume 1" by Rachel Pollack)

Hebrew Letter; "Vav" = "Nail". The nail holds things together; relating to religious tradition which holds culture together. But a nail is also a male/phallic symbol, indicating a masculine tradition.

Rune; "Radh" = R, meaning "wheel". Refers to ritual, and rituals are essential in many traditions. Ritual gives an outer form to religious teachings, giving people words to say and actions to perform (such as bringing out the Torah, or taking communion). Ritual also connects people to their history as well as binding them together in a community. And rituals can carry us through tragedy. [Note; Per articles on various web sites; the rune "Raido" (or other variations) can also mean "ride" or "wagon" - both of which also relate to "wheel".]

Astrological Sign; Taurus. This with the element of Earth, indicates "manifestation", so concrete reality. The Hierophant connects with the High Priestess ("Papess" in some decks), where she indicates "the inner or secret truth the mystery at the heart of religious experience." ["Haindl Tarot Vol 1"] But The Hierophant "signifies the concrete ways in which this mystery expresses itself in the world - in other words, religious tradition." [ibid]

Men; Three generations of men; Grandfather (main person looking out at us), Father (in profile on the right) and a young man (in front of us, looking in). They take up the right 2/3 of the card - the right represents the dominance of intellect "in the male tradition." The three people of different generations show traditions passed down through the generations, as well as those learned through the church. (I also thought of this as being the male version of the Triple Goddess of Crone, Mother and Maiden. However, there seems to be no other link to the Moon or Earth.)

Light; The Light of God. It shines from the darkness, on the left to indicate the "unknowable truth of the Divine." God is beyond/outside of Human comprehension.

Windows; This is all set within a man-made structure, signifying ceremony and rituals. The skullcap of the youngest, in the foreground, signifies Judaism. Hands held up with crossed thumbs (as with the crossed keys in other decks) represent prayer connecting us to God. (In the book, Ms. Pollack says the hands belong to the central, "grandfather" figure. However - if they were his hands, as he's facing us, we would not see the thumbs.)

Book and Key; The Torah as the "key" to Jewish culture. The book, and so writing, also represents the passing down of learning and knowledge and human culture. However, written law and tradition can become too rigid and absolute and so separate from the people.

Divinatory Meanings:

Upright; "Several ideas relate to The Hierophant, and any of these may come up in a reading. They draw from three connected ideas; tradition, community and teachings." [ibid] This may represent a time when tradition may play a significant part in a person's life, possibly helping; as in a time of crisis - or hindering; as when it keeps a person from what they want to do.

Conformity - acting within society's expectations. There may be an indication of traditions related to institutions. These may be religious in nature, such as church doctrines on birth control and other aspects of an individual's life. It may also signify other societal institutions such as organizations like the Freemasons or even government bureaucracies, universities, etc. Again, these can be supportive such as helping in a marriage or stifling.

The Hierophant might relate to community, either a local town or neighborhood, or society as a whole. Again, is it helping, such as shared celebrations, or coming together to help someone in need, or is it holding someone back or even excluding them?

The card may also represent teachings such as religious or of an esoteric order. These may pass on knowledge, but they may also become empty doctrine.

Reversed; The reversed card may emphasize the more negative aspects of the upright card. A person who is trapped in a bad marriage because tradition or community pressure is all that's holding them together. Or doctrines and teachings that have lost their meaning.

A person who is rejecting the doctrines or teachings. This could mean a person rejecting a traditional relationship, such as questioning that tradition, or going into a non-traditional partnership. The person could be "unorthodox", going their own direction or leaving (or being ejected from) a religion or religious order. But they may also be naïve, going with any new idea as they don't have the knowledge to test it.

My additional meanings;

Upright; A person who prefers religious doctrine over seeking their own path - or a person who needs that structure in their life. To an extreme the person who is a religious zealot or extremist. A person who is stubbornly sticking to doctrine or old knowledge in spite of it being outmoded or proven to be flawed.

Reversed; Non-traditional cults, in the extreme it may refer to dangerous cults such as those that have been shown to engage in brainwashing techniques, extremism or group suicides. In a more positive aspect, it may show a person who is finding their own truth and their own spirituality.

05HaindlHierophant.jpg.99850e0c7496b510c128140725a95e87.jpg