FLizarraga

A new edition of Duck Soup's Arthur Rackham Oracle in Kickstarter

Posted (edited)

For those who could be interested Doug Thornsjo offers an option for this deck with regard to the edges: they could be gilded or silvered or black, depending on what the majority of the backers wish.

There is a vote currently and I voted for silvered edges.

ETA: otherwise courage with the Forum (software)! It seems already very cool!

Edited by Decan

It looks like that there are a lot of people who would like this deck with Black edges.

Hmm, I didn't imagine that I could have this deck that way, which is perfect of course because the majority of the backers voted (and will again vote) but I'm afraid that with Black edges this deck won't be for my taste... BUT, we still don't know concerning the results while it's an option quite possible!

8 hours ago, Decan said:

It looks like that there are a lot of people who would like this deck with Black edges.

Hmm, I didn't imagine that I could have this deck that way, which is perfect of course because the majority of the backers voted (and will again vote) but I'm afraid that with Black edges this deck won't be for my taste... BUT, we still don't know concerning the results while it's an option quite possible!

I agree, I voted for silver, gold, or anything but black. Black looks really cool on most decks, but really doesn't suit this one at all IMO.  Brown would even be better than black. Hopefully somebody in the design department of his printer will put in their opinion as well - I'm a graphic designer and if a customer of mine was asking for black edging on a deck like this, I'd shoot them an email asking if they're REALLY sure that's what they want, and give my reasoning of why I think something else would be better suited.

I suppose if he goes with black and I really hate it I can trim it off. 

Personally I loved the gold, and was so happy when that stretch goal was reached. It picks up on and adds a warmth to the deck. Black is absolutely not for me, and I’ll withdraw my pledge if it becomes a reality. The whole feel will be too dark for me. And I think that silver for this deck will feel too cold.

It sucks that we reached the stretch goal and I was so looking forward to a beautiful oracle deck; and all of a sudden there might be no deck for me AT ALL. 

I voted gold, as it is the color that seems to suit this deck the best. (If my monitor is correct, the cards have a warm-ish bone/ivory/off white border.) I wouldn't mind a different color, but I can see where it would be a dealbreaker for some.

If the final gilding doesn't agree with me, I might trim the cards and/or gild them in a different color.

Gold or Silver would be a good choice (I hesitated), and maybe the edges will be that way. But maybe we still won't know before the end of the campaign and Black edges is a risk I won't take on my side. I know I won't like this deck that way, well...

I just got an update email, and it looks like gold won the vote! Just barely, but thankfully it won. He says he's going to look into whether matte gold is an option, as lots of people mentioned that. I'm just glad it's not black. The fancy editions of the books this type of illustration would have been published in would often have gilded edges, so I think gold will be appropriate and amazing.

Oh guys, what a relief!! I'm with you here @DevonCarter

Actually, I withdrew from the project but this morning I came back 🙂

Someone reported two typos in two cards, but since this was noted they will be corrected (it's on the cards "Awakening" and "Awereness").

Well, good news for today, I was a bit upset about this edges question!

10 hours ago, DevonCarter said:

I just got an update email, and it looks like gold won the vote! Just barely, but thankfully it won. He says he's going to look into whether matte gold is an option, as lots of people mentioned that. I'm just glad it's not black. The fancy editions of the books this type of illustration would have been published in would often have gilded edges, so I think gold will be appropriate and amazing.

I feel the same way. Just glad it’s not black! 

Matte gold wouldn’t be my preference though — the art colouring is subdued, but going with a subdued border too, isn’t the best choice, IMO.

So...

I’d still want mine to be a shiny gold! The more twinkling and sparkling (like the stars and treasure chests and YES old books of fairytales!!) the better. 

We can’t have too much gold here!! 

=

A quality layer of shiny gold!! 🤗

(But again, just glad that it’s not black)

I, too, I'm glad gold won. It was the right choice, IMHO. And yes, Nordica, I'd also prefer shiny, sparkling gold --is there such a thing as too much gold, or too bright? 😉

30 minutes ago, FLizarraga said:

I, too, I'm glad gold won. It was the right choice, IMHO. And yes, Nordica, I'd also prefer shiny, sparkling gold --is there such a thing as too much gold, or too bright? 😉

Oh no @FLizarraga, there aren’t!!

btw love your avatar. Is it an old tapestry with unicorn, or from a deck?

They reached  $14,000 (the basic goal was $5,800), well, it is a great success!!

You still have some hours before the very end of this Kickstarter!

I was going to jump aboard for this but shipping doubles the cost of the deck for me! This means it will also attract customs fees when it gets to the U.K. 

😭

8 hours ago, Decan said:

They reached  $14,000 (the basic goal was $5,800), well, it is a great success!!

You still have some hours before the very end of this Kickstarter!

I'm truly sorry to hear that... 😞

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Flaxen said:

I was going to jump aboard for this but shipping doubles the cost of the deck for me! This means it will also attract customs fees when it gets to the U.K. 

😭

Concerning customs in the UK I think that it is unfair to take into account the shipping with regard to taxes. Well...greedy for gain governments!

Edited by Decan

I received some pics (from the creator of the deck) of the future Rackham Oracle that we will receive, it looks Amazing!!

rackha10.jpg