The Big List of Diverse Decks

Raggydoll

I found that we do have the study group. I posted in it two or three times, but I see that (I think it's Eric) has put all the LWB meanings into the study, but I've been kind of adding to it from the larger book Barbara Walker wrote on Tarot. It isn't a book for the deck, it's a book she just wrote about Tarot and its origins and even though she's put some of that content into the LWB, the larger book just contains a whole lot of wonderful and interesting information about the Divine Feminine and mythology as well as Tarot. I want to get the actual book in addition to my Kindle version one of these days when I can afford it. I'm old----and old school-----about loving actual books, not just Kindle versions, you know? 🙂

I'm going to see if anyone is brave enough to get a reading from this deck in the Exchanges.  😛  There are some pretty formidable card illustrations, like Kali as the Queen of Swords, eating the entrails of her husband, but we'll see if I get any takers. 

Edited by Grizabella

37 minutes ago, Grizabella said:

I found that we do have the study group. I posted in it two or three times, but I see that (I think it's Eric) has put all the LWB meanings into the study, but I've been kind of adding to it from the larger book Barbara Walker wrote on Tarot. It isn't a book for the deck, it's a book she just wrote about Tarot and its origins and even though she's put some of that content into the LWB, the larger book just contains a whole lot of wonderful and interesting information about the Divine Feminine and mythology as well as Tarot. I want to get the actual book in addition to my Kindle version one of these days when I can afford it. I'm old----and old school-----about loving actual books, not just Kindle versions, you know? 🙂

Oh, I know exactly what you mean and I would probably enjoy reading her book!

The larger book really was the book she wrote for this deck, so I was mistaken saying it didn't go with the deck. There's a copy of the bigger book and the original deck on Amazon for $250 right now.  The original book was out in 1986 but I guess they reprinted the larger book to go with the deck in the tin that's just come out but the cover image on the current book is the Barbara Walker Magician, while there was a cross-shaped card spread shown on the cover of the original book.

Edited by Grizabella
typo

5 minutes ago, Grizabella said:

The larger book really was the book she wrote for this deck, so I was mistaken saying it didn't go with the deck. There's a copy of the bigger book and the original deck on Amazon for $250 right now.  The original book was out in 1986 but I guess they reprinted the larger book to go with the deck in the tin that's just come out but the cover image on the current book is the Barbara Walker Magician, while there was a cross-shaped card spread shown on the cover of the original book.

Thank you, that's good to know! 

I had Kindle Unlimited so I borrowed the books on symbolism and myths written by Barbara Walker but I had to let the Kindle Unlimited go for this month and I can't access those other books till I re-do the unlimited thing, but the large book for the deck was offered free about a month ago and I did get that one downloaded, fortunately. 

Coming back to add that if you have Kindle or the app, the Kindle edition of the large book is about $2.99 on Amazon if you want to read the book. It's fascinating. I know almost nothing of mythology and things like that. Raising all the kids, I never really had time to learn much except what they were learning in school and doing the chores with raising six kids, you know?

Edited by Grizabella

iofthebeholder

"Manzel's Tarot" by Afro-Futurist artist Manzel Bowman definitely belongs this list. Didn't even realize until making this post Manzel has evidently published a second deck! I have the first edition, really cool artwork, a lot of the imagery doesn't much correspond to typical RWS images but lends itself to TdM methods. For me, more a collector's item than a reading deck, very unique in my collection not least for the atypically African figures on every card.

Images and shop on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/689141926/manzels-tarot-holographic-edition?ref=shop_home_feat_1&bes=1

Here's an Imgur gallery I put up just today to highlight this deck additionally as a work of art with a "vaporwave" aesthetic ( specifically the cool blues an purples, collage technique, and early CGI / classical themes ).

http://imgur.com/gallery/L34weko

2 minutes ago, iofthebeholder said:

"Manzel's Tarot" by Afro-Futurist artist Manzel Bowman definitely belongs this list. Didn't even realize until making this post Manzel has evidently published a second deck! I have the first edition, really cool artwork, a lot of the imagery doesn't much correspond to typical RWS images but lends itself to TdM methods. For me, more a collector's item than a reading deck, very unique in my collection not least for the atypically African figures on every card.

Images and shop on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/689141926/manzels-tarot-holographic-edition?ref=shop_home_feat_1&bes=1

Here's an Imgur gallery I put up just today to highlight this deck additionally as a work of art with a "vaporwave" aesthetic ( specifically the cool blues an purples, collage technique, and early CGI / classical themes ).

http://imgur.com/gallery/L34weko

Thank you! I added Manzel’s Tarot to the list!

Can diverse include Indian? I'd like to add 3 decks to the list please:

- The Indian Folktales Tarot by Dr. Ruchi Rastogi 

- The Sacred Indian Tarot by Kiren Rai - majors only

- The Sacred India Tarot by Rohit Arya & Jane Adams 

(they need to come up with more creative names for their decks, it's so confusing!) 

6 hours ago, iMoodyCrab said:

Can diverse include Indian?

Most certainly! ❤️

6 hours ago, iMoodyCrab said:

I'd like to add 3 decks to the list please:

- The Indian Folktales Tarot by Dr. Ruchi Rastogi 

- The Sacred Indian Tarot by Kiren Rai - majors only

- The Sacred India Tarot by Rohit Arya & Jane Adams 

(they need to come up with more creative names for their decks, it's so confusing!) 

Thank you, I will add them!

I just came across this deck and haven't seen any reference to it here - Star Spinner Tarot.  It's due to be published in the spring and is available for pre-order now.  It is a diverse deck in ethnicity and sexual preference.  I counted four variations of the Lovers card!  I find the artist's style quite compelling!

8+fortitude+WEB.jpg?format=500w

9+the+hermit+copy+WEB.jpg?format=500w

4+the+emperor+WEB.jpg?format=500w

10+wheel+of+fate+copy+WEB.jpg?format=500

6+Lovers+5+WEB.jpg?format=500w

14+Temperance+copy+WEB.jpg?format=500w

Edited by geoxena

I have updated the list with the all the suggestions and I’d love if we could try and list the more newly released decks too. So, what new and diverse decks do you know of? 💗

If it hasn’t been mentioned yet I’m pretty sure The Giants tarot is very inclusive it’s by Raven Kaldera Who himself is trans-and into sex and queer I don’t want on the deck myself yet but it’s on its way to me

1 hour ago, MoonBear said:

If it hasn’t been mentioned yet I’m pretty sure The Giants tarot is very inclusive it’s by Raven Kaldera Who himself is trans-and into sex and queer I don’t want on the deck myself yet but it’s on its way to me

I have several of his books and I think his doing an important work. All the images for his deck can be viewed here https://www.northernpaganism.org/rokkatru/giants-tarot.html

After looking at them, i really hesitate to put it on the list. I’m guessing that it’s because it’s a Norse themed deck that there are no people of color and I could see perhaps two fuller sized individuals. The couples depicted were heterosexual as far as I could tell. Raven has enlisted many different artists to depict his cards and so that’s perhaps why it isn’t the way you would expect it to be. If someone has taken a closer look at it and thinks my impression is wrong then please let me know and point me to the specific images you feel are diverse. I only skimmed through the art due to time constraints! 

Oh sorry I haven’t seen all the pictures of the deck I just thought knowing the books of the Author it would be more inclusive as it isn’t then I’m sorry and of course it doesn’t belong on the list then

2 minutes ago, MoonBear said:

Oh sorry I haven’t seen all the pictures of the deck I just thought knowing the books of the Author it would be more inclusive as it isn’t then I’m sorry and of course it doesn’t belong on the list then

I totally understand why you assumed that 💗

Tarot of Brass and Steam. Not my favourite deck by any means because I much prefer individually illustrated pips and the numbered cards just have a desaturated version of the ace for each suit, but it does have some racial diversity. All the disk court cards for example are POC.

BA1D8017-5DA5-4722-83E7-0D440D6D8FE7.jpeg

27 minutes ago, TarotHen said:

Tarot of Brass and Steam. Not my favourite deck by any means because I much prefer individually illustrated pips and the numbered cards just have a desaturated version of the ace for each suit, but it does have some racial diversity. All the disk court cards for example are POC.

BA1D8017-5DA5-4722-83E7-0D440D6D8FE7.jpeg

Thank you, I will add it to the list! 

6 hours ago, Jack said:

Sinking Wasteland Tarot
Neon Moon Tarot

I recall the creator saying that they wanted to make the decks diverse. Each deck has LGBTQ+ & POC depictions. Sinking Wasteland has more BIPOC depictions than Neon Moon, though.

4 hours ago, Niobium said:

Another one to add to the list here would be Prismatic Tarot--numerous LGBTQ+ and POC depictions. 

It's not out yet, but the Fyodor Pavlov Tarot is also inclusive, again with numerous LGBTQ+ and POC depictions.

Thank you both, I have added all these to the list! 

5 hours ago, ilweran said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the Tarot of the Cat People depicts POC.

Good one, I added it to the list!