Jump to content

The Big List of Diverse Decks


Raggydoll
 Share

Recommended Posts

I believe that it's out of print at the moment, but the author of the New Choice Tarot de Marseille claims to represent LGBTQ+ experience in the deck. I say "claims" because I've heard others criticize the deck for representing only a very narrow range of the community (namely, the chiseled and good-looking sector). Personally, even with this issue, it seems like a very queer deck to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sixdegrees said:

I believe that it's out of print at the moment, but the author of the New Choice Tarot de Marseille claims to represent LGBTQ+ experience in the deck. I say "claims" because I've heard others criticize the deck for representing only a very narrow range of the community (namely, the chiseled and good-looking sector). Personally, even with this issue, it seems like a very queer deck to me.

Thanks, adding it! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The shop of Little Red Tarot (UK based) has a category for diverse decks, btw, as for queer created, trans/non binary created, and black / poc / indigenous created decks. https://littleredtarot.com/product-tag/diversity/ (hope it's ok to link this here - if not please remove!). There are a few decks on there that would be good additions for this wonderful list and resource here, I think (thanks for putting it together, by they way, very inspiring!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another to add to the list: The Lazy Crow Tarot is a wonderful Norse-themed deck with a broad variety of skin tones and body shapes. 

 

https://www.facebook.com/775446549167384/posts/the-lazy-crow-tarot-deck-is-fully-funded-and-has-even-hit-its-first-stretch-goal/3682166408495369/

 

He's having a batch printed to sell on Etsy for anyone who'd like one. Linen stock, playing card weight, lovely 2-part box. 

 

And another: the True Heart Intuitive Tarot by Rachel True

 

https://www.hmhbooks.com/shop/books/true-heart-intuitive-tarot-guidebook-and-deck/9781328566263

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, le_charior said:

I wanted to mention the Fifth Spirit Tarot: https://www.fifthspirittarot.com/about to maybe add to this list. I just ordered it, so can not yet say anything about it from first hand experience, but it seems to be very inclusive regarding a lot of aspects. 

I added it to the list. It looks really interesting! Thank you ❤️

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, le_charior said:

The shop of Little Red Tarot (UK based) has a category for diverse decks, btw, as for queer created, trans/non binary created, and black / poc / indigenous created decks. https://littleredtarot.com/product-tag/diversity/ (hope it's ok to link this here - if not please remove!). There are a few decks on there that would be good additions for this wonderful list and resource here, I think (thanks for putting it together, by they way, very inspiring!).

Yes it’s a great resource. I love Beth’s shop and all she does for the community and for the world. Thanks for the direct link! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Niobium said:

Another to add to the list: The Lazy Crow Tarot is a wonderful Norse-themed deck with a broad variety of skin tones and body shapes. 

 

https://www.facebook.com/775446549167384/posts/the-lazy-crow-tarot-deck-is-fully-funded-and-has-even-hit-its-first-stretch-goal/3682166408495369/

 

He's having a batch printed to sell on Etsy for anyone who'd like one. Linen stock, playing card weight, lovely 2-part box. 

 

And another: the True Heart Intuitive Tarot by Rachel True

 

https://www.hmhbooks.com/shop/books/true-heart-intuitive-tarot-guidebook-and-deck/9781328566263

Excellent, I’ve added them! 
 

Stop Motion Love GIF by Mochimochiland

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Niobium said:

Another to add to the list: The Lazy Crow Tarot is a wonderful Norse-themed deck with a broad variety of skin tones and body shapes. 

 

https://www.facebook.com/775446549167384/posts/the-lazy-crow-tarot-deck-is-fully-funded-and-has-even-hit-its-first-stretch-goal/3682166408495369/

 

He's having a batch printed to sell on Etsy for anyone who'd like one. Linen stock, playing card weight, lovely 2-part box. 

 

And another: the True Heart Intuitive Tarot by Rachel True

 

https://www.hmhbooks.com/shop/books/true-heart-intuitive-tarot-guidebook-and-deck/9781328566263

I love the look of the Lazy Crow Tarot, so much humour! And Norse style goes surprisingly well with the diversity of the deck. I was trying to find it on Etsy but did not manage to locate the shop... Do you know where it might be available, please, @Niobium? Thanks! 

 

Edit: I found the following message on the updates section of the crowdfunding campaign: There are going to be decks and prints available on my Etsy shop pretty soon, so if you know people who are interested, they should keep an eye out! The shop is at celtshop.etsy.com

Edited by le_charior
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This one may count - if so, it's a shame that it's been ignored and reviled for so many years:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/miss-cleo-tarot-power/

It's a melanated deck from 2000, before all the self published decks. Certainly POC were a large part of the target market, and the deck reflects that. And it's a perfectly serviceable RWS style reading deck, despite the 1 1/2 star rating at AT and the mention of "random changes to standard Tarot symbolism" - I've seen people falling over each other to praise other decks with more (and worse) "random changes to 'standard' Tarot symbolism."

 

One has to wonder how much of the flak was due to the the actions of the telemarketing company (which, face it, is not the same thing as the deck) and how much was due to the fact that the deck was bringing POC to Tarot. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AlbaTross

If you're still adding to this list, Cosmic Cycles is a deck I've been interested in for quite some time that I haven't gotten yet, but it is pretty diverse.  

 

I also think the Everyday Tarot set that I do own is pretty diverse (though I'm not entirely sure if it qualifies).  Not only does it have a slightly more balanced gender ratio (not that I've personally felt RWS had a problem with that), but although the art, including the characters, is presented in an abstract, three-colour format, all three colours are used to varying extents for the characters, with the white, purple and gold at least creating the impression of different skin tones.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

If you're still adding to this list, Cosmic Cycles is a deck I've been interested in for quite some time that I haven't gotten yet, but it is pretty diverse.  

 

I also think the Everyday Tarot set that I do own is pretty diverse (though I'm not entirely sure if it qualifies).  Not only does it have a slightly more balanced gender ratio (not that I've personally felt RWS had a problem with that), but although the art, including the characters, is presented in an abstract, three-colour format, all three colours are used to varying extents for the characters, with the white, purple and gold at least creating the impression of different skin tones.  

Thank you, I am still adding to the list! I have put the first one down, but i am not sure about your second one, so for now I’ll leave it off the list. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AlbaTross
13 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Thank you, I am still adding to the list! I have put the first one down, but i am not sure about your second one, so for now I’ll leave it off the list. 

You're welcome.  I'm not sure about my second one either as it's not explicitly diverse.  It might be one worth reflecting on though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

VioletEye
Posted (edited)

i was recently given the tarot of the divine, by yoshi yo****ani. it's not a deck that i probably would have picked out for myself, but it's been surprisingly insightful with its fairy tales, myths and stories from around the world. while the images are generally of attractive people/animals, i feel like it's pretty inclusive.

 

wow, yo****ani's name was censored!! ha ha!  🙂 i meant to add a link:

https://yoshiyo****ani.store/products/preorder-tarot-of-the-divine-a-deck-and-guidebook-inspired-by-deities-folklore-and-fairy-tales-from-around-the-world-tarot-deck-only

Edited by VioletEye
clarification
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that all decks that are animal-themed, object-themed or non-scenic are automatically diverse. They don't portray a given segment of the human population and exclude others. They allow us all (and I belong to two minority groups) to see ourselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Nisaba said:

I think that all decks that are animal-themed, object-themed or non-scenic are automatically diverse. They don't portray a given segment of the human population and exclude others. They allow us all (and I belong to two minority groups) to see ourselves.

I agree and disagree 🙂 I think animal decks and non scenic decks are great, but I do not think they help solve the issue at hand. Imagine if someone who is of a minority group, tells the big publishers that they wish they could see more people like them in the decks and not just white, thin, young, heterosexual, cis gendered and able bodied people. And then the publisher respond “But there are animal decks. We are all animals, aren’t we? Surely that must work” and then they carry on printing the same stuff   that they’ve been putting out, over and over. I have a problem with that. As a person who’s been suffering from physical disabilities since childhood, I want actual representation 🙂 I want it not just for my sake but for the younger generations too. And for the other disabled people in my life. I can’t speak of behalf of any other minority group. But I know I’m not alone in feeling like this. This thread is meant to gather a list of decks/deck creators so we can help change the market by creating demand and voting with our wallets. So for those who are interested in doing that, this thread is for them ❤️

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

jadegreen
On 7/17/2021 at 10:39 PM, Raggydoll said:
On 7/17/2021 at 4:39 PM, Nisaba said:

I think that all decks that are animal-themed, object-themed or non-scenic are automatically diverse. They don't portray a given segment of the human population and exclude others. They allow us all (and I belong to two minority groups) to see ourselves.

I agree and disagree 🙂 I think animal decks and non scenic decks are great, but I do not think they help solve the issue at hand. Imagine if someone who is of a minority group, tells the big publishers that they wish they could see more people like them in the decks and not just white, thin, young, heterosexual, cis gendered and able bodied people. And then the publisher respond “But there are animal decks. We are all animals, aren’t we? Surely that must work” and then they carry on printing the same stuff   that they’ve been putting out, over and over. I have a problem with that. As a person who’s been suffering from physical disabilities since childhood, I want actual representation 🙂 I want it not just for my sake but for the younger generations too. And for the other disabled people in my life. I can’t speak of behalf of any other minority group. But I know I’m not alone in feeling like this. This thread is meant to gather a list of decks/deck creators so we can help change the market by creating demand and voting with our wallets. So for those who are interested in doing that, this thread is for them ❤️

 

This. There have been times where I've settled in terms of representation, but it was an imperfect substitute for the real thing, and sort of an--I don't know how to describe this--sort of an awkward fit in some ways?

 

Someone said something about liking the Everyday Tarot Mini deck by Brigit Esselmont because the minimalist gold and purple color palate made it easier to imagine the people on the cards could be any race or ethnicity, but a lot of the people in the deck have pin-straight hair, so it might be a bit of a stretch.  I like Everyday Tarot, but it's not the most diverse deck out there.  

 

Also, totally off topic, but some of the masculine figures in the Everyday Tarot mini deck have these cowlicks at the back of their hair, and they remind me of the fast food guy from The Simpsons for some reason.  It's so stupid, but now I can't unsee it.  Also, totally random, but back when I read with this deck every day, I kept having this weird conviction that every guy in it was named Kevin.  Pretty colors though; I love how purple and gold look together.

 

I'm editing this to add that this isn't an attempt to add Everyday Tarot to the list, because it's not really diverse.  I was just talking about how it's a little frustrating when people call this a diverse deck.  Sorry if this is the wrong place to post about it.

download.jpg.b165f307d0c483492abcbc50bc56efbb.jpg63238f290b7dedad38a38fe740994bf2.jpg.4825a7d8a902bdc63e63d9b7f1510a6a.jpgimages.jpg.78e270b6066ea2996ab068dfec7939bc.jpg

Edited by jadegreen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

katrinka
16 hours ago, jadegreen said:

Someone said something about liking the Everyday Tarot Mini deck by Brigit Esselmont because the minimalist gold and purple color palate made it easier to imagine the people on the cards could be any race or ethnicity, but a lot of the people in the deck have pin-straight hair, so it might be a bit of a stretch.  I like Everyday Tarot, but it's not the most diverse deck out there.


Pin straight hair and that Barrymore nose on the men. Those people look white. And they all have yellow hair...
Trying to pass that deck off as "diverse" kind of...is offensive.

 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Our Forum host is raising their prices, so every little bit helps!

 

Guests

Thank you for paying us a visit!

Please consider joining and the Google Ads will vanish.

 

Registered Members

The only ads you will see are those run by your fellow readers.

Please consider turning off AdBlock so their contribution isn't in vain!