6 of pentacles reversed

TekkieTarot

TekkieTarot

Hello I wanted to know if anybody could share any experiences they have had with this card. Whenever I see this card reversed it always remind me of a someone who’s selfish not willing to give I hate to only see this card rx as that so I would appreciate any answers.

I think the reversed card can go the other way as well: somebody who gives too much, more than they afford to give, leaving themselves short because they can't say no or whatever reason.

in Numerology, 6's are quite balanced and problem-solving as an association. In the 6 of Pentacles, the standing figure often has a weighing scale balanced in one hand (for example in RWS pictures). There is a balance to the upright, someone with money (or maybe emotional experience or someone with advice or anything like that, any kind of help) gives to the person who needs it. I always ask people which person do they see themselves, giving back or needing?

But this is reversed and it becomes unbalanced and one sided. It might mean someone is too dependent on charity and support, it might mean someone is too greedy and won't give or help others. There is another take on this card I like though and this is don't expect what you give back, if someone asks you for a loan, make sure you can afford to lose it! It would be generous to give it but don't really expect it back. The other side of this though is financial fraud and dodgy schemes, losing money because of criminality or being conned. Finally this card reversed reflects getting into debt financially as a situation. This reversal imbalance is too much taking or too much giving, the scales have fallen to one side  :thumbsup:

TekkieTarot
On 4/23/2019 at 5:18 AM, DanielJUK said:

in Numerology, 6's are quite balanced and problem-solving as an association. In the 6 of Pentacles, the standing figure often has a weighing scale balanced in one hand (for example in RWS pictures). There is a balance to the upright, someone with money (or maybe emotional experience or someone with advice or anything like that, any kind of help) gives to the person who needs it. I always ask people which person do they see themselves, giving back or needing?

But this is reversed and it becomes unbalanced and one sided. It might mean someone is too dependent on charity and support, it might mean someone is too greedy and won't give or help others. There is another take on this card I like though and this is don't expect what you give back, if someone asks you for a loan, make sure you can afford to lose it! It would be generous to give it but don't really expect it back. The other side of this though is financial fraud and dodgy schemes, losing money because of criminality or being conned. Finally this card reversed reflects getting into debt financially as a situation. This reversal imbalance is too much taking or too much giving, the scales have fallen to one side  :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for this. I never thought about it in the way of someone giving and not expecting anything back. The 6 of pentacles rx is a card I’m gonna definitely need to study lol.

I agree with Daniel. Upright - willingly giving and receiving (though it can be unbalanced - one gives more than they receive). Reversed - I often see it as a taker, a used in a relationship, giving nothing back. Lend to a friend - you won't get it back; they will say it was a gift, and so on.

Concerning the "dark side" somehow this can refer too to a possible bad management in charity organizations, you know, when people are saying that they will help others or a cause through donations, but instead they make financial placements with the money, and use a part of it for their own use (holiday homes, private pools, etc.).

There are regular problems in the area of charity business.

Also, hypocrisy, that is to give in front of everyone while they are in reality petty and miserly, or on the other side people who have enough financially, but pretend to be in need to collect money or something, so yes to take advantage from others through different ways, I agree with the previous posters!

ETA: people can give as well for fiscal purposes (i.e. to reduce their taxes)

Edited by Decan

I will add another angle here, just to complement the others. To me, this card - in its upright position - often represents a person that enjoys a certain status and holds a special position that sets them above others. They feel needed and valuable and so they are willing to help (and it makes them feel good). But its not ever on equal terms, as he is very much standing there in his fancy clothes and carefully balancing those scales in front of those kneeling beggars. Maybe he just wants to be sure that everyone gets their cut, and he is being responsible with his resources - or maybe he doesn't want to give away too much money, status or control. I mean, if all those people were given enough money then he would not be needed to provide for them anymore. And the reversed scenario is one where there suddenly is an uncomfortable shift. To give an example and put it in a context: In the upright position, lets say that we have a family where one person is the main provider. The other people has to come to them and ask for money. And money is never given freely, it always has to be discussed and accounted for. They also never get the full control and are never made into an equal partner (no shared accounts, etc). Maybe the other person is grateful or doesn't care very much about the difference in status. Or maybe they are frustrated but simply don't feel in the position to speak up. Well, if we then reverse the card, we get an interesting shift. I do not believe it automatically means the direct opposite, but rather that the situation is feeling a bit stale and sour. And that no one is truly happy. The main provider might not be (or feel) as needed anymore. The receiver might have gotten bitter or expressed a need for change. Or maybe he/she is starting to explore other avenues of income; perhaps becoming more independent or finding someone else to go to for money. Maybe he/she got tired of always asking for money, so they simply started taking it behind their partners back. Or perhaps they are questioning the way the finances are being utilized by their provider. You see where I am getting at? Like all the others said, it is very much dependent on the situation and what person in the scenario that you identify with. I go by my intuition to know which of all these things that apply in any given reading (if any - there are lots of times when completely new interpretations present themselves when you are open and take everything in).  

No one's mentioned the classico Trinity?  This card is a contorted microcosm of the The Hierophant, The Lovers, The Devil, and is a lesson in co-dependency and the power that comes in response to need.  Money & charity are just used symbolically to demonstrate the balance & imbalance of relations we have with another or even ourselves.  It can be about money, but more the measuring of how much we give another emotionally, and the power games which are played out subconsciously. 

We don't often see or analyse these roles we play in a relationship, but a mutual dependency is in EVERY relationship we have...whether we see it or not (even the abuser plays a perverse balancing role in the life of the abused...see The Devil).  

The 6/pents can be as much about the relationship with ourselves...albeit an outside force like God, drugs, money, love etc.  as it can be about relationships with others.  And it can be positive just as much as a negative influence.  

This card is very complex & I think it's quite similar in either upright-reverse; but I'd say reverse is a disruption that disturbs the equilibrium of a relationship, or even a disruption that restores the balance....one being mutually exclusive to the other.

TekkieTarot

Thank you all for commenting. I really appreciate all the new insight you guys have given me.

Page of Wands

Hi!

I see this cards from a lot of angles.

upright and reversed.

Like Raggdydoll said before, i do saw, sometimes, even upright, with some cards on their side, as a dark card.

I saw this card on reading as a symbol of arrogance...like "Im helping you because im greater than you".

Reversed i think this can show an unbalanced help, like giving too much or helping in a way that is not helping at all.

I think this can become a dark card reversed as well, but the cards that surround it will say it.

Another detail that i would like to add: I dont think this card always talk about the figure in the center helping. But can be about the figure being helped.

That's how i see it.  

Yes, @Page of Wands I agree with you, this card has a very dark underbelly.  We see very strong similarities of the beggars kneeling at the feet like in the trinity of The Hierophant & The Devil.  There is certain idolatry within the trinity, but at the same time it is everyone's choice to be there, and everyone gets something out of it, however manipulative & toxic the result. 

Relationships between people are extremely complex & totally bonkers, whether it be lovers, business, workmates, family etc, but we adjust to them until they become the norm & comfortable however unreasonable & corrupt they objectively seem.   We, as people, forget because they have become our reality, but peel away the layers of the 6 of Pentacles & it is a reminder of the co-dependency of many relationships.     

Reverse reminds me of the corrupt Catholic church where they've just got extremely rich & powerful on the back of poor people's sin.

I'm an outlier here because I tend not to play off the RWS image in a freely associative manner, instead sticking with the base Golden Dawn meaning of "Material Success." Generosity and charity are possible outgrowths of such success, but I don't see them as part of the core meaning. Reversed, I wouldn't necessarily read it as lack of success, but perhaps as a cautionary prelude to the 7 of Pentacles, "Success Unfulfilled," by being set up for failure due to shaky financial judgment or missed opportunities. It suggests avoiding taking risks with money or resources.

Edited by Barleywine

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.