Ten of Wands

Diana

I’m really struggling with interpreting the 10 of wands. My first deck was the Thoth deck and I never felt it was an overly great card to receive. My feelings for it were almost obsessive in a ‘bunny boiler’ Glenn Close/Fatal Attraction kind of way. Looking for/ assuming things that weren’t there to begin with, oppressive delusion (especially in a relationship spread), and taking on way more than you were capable of (being taken advantage of), being used. I’ve noticed a lot of readers perceive this card differently, positively in a way, and now that I’m using the RW deck, the card feels more ‘downtrodden’ by the weight of responsibilities, than anything. I would love to hear what others think/ feel about this card.

l read it as someone who can be

1.overburdened by life in general

2. overwhelmed by personal circumstances

3. Taking on too much responsibility in whatever situation they find 

themselves in, be it work, home, love life

4. Trying to control events without proper knowledge or guidance

5.  Needing to drop ideas, committments

These are just a few of the possible meanings that l use,  but as always it depends on the surrounding cards,  the question, and if reading for someone who the sitter is.

Numerologically tens represent the beginning and or the end of the cycle.

Being wands or fire we can expect this series to have to do with creative thoughts or aspirations.

So in a positive sense you might have a new idea or come across an idea for a new invention.

in a negative sense you may find that you bit off more than you can chew, and it is maybe time to take a step back and reassess what you thought was the proper way to approach it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

There can also be an element of testing with this card.

There are burdens we place on ourselves but also burdens we are given which may test our resilience. A spiritual trial by fire of sorts...a way to temper us and make us stronger. What is the load we can bear alone?

I read it as

- being a Wand, related to endeavors, ideas, projects, career, etc

- being a 10, related to fruition

- the traditional imagery being a heavy weight of some nature

So, absent of other cards around it, I read it as a situation that has progressed from its beginning in the Ace, through the ups and downs, challenges and successes, of the 2-9, and ultimately is not working effectively. It is weighing heavy on the querent in some way. 

A significant change may be needed, a fresh start, a different approach, a new idea.

Thank you all for the insight. It was great to have some different perspectives. In my readings with this card, its never bode well, and i guess the severity depends on the cards that surround. In this particular case, with the rw deck, the meaning feels different. Im not sure if others read different decks differently, but since posting, and working with a few other cards, I think this is the approach i need to take. Thank you so much to everyone who contributed their time and thoughts to my question. Much appreciated 🌸

TekkieTarot

The 10 of wands is a funny card to me I use the everyday witches tarot and the face she’s making is so funny like she’s just so over carrying those 10 brooms up a hill lol. 

But the 10 of wands to me means holding onto something that is weighing you down. Can be some past mentally or emotionally baggage you need to let go of. It can mean carrying something physical as well like moving or carrying something really heavy. It also to me shows commitment and dedication to something no matter how hard it is. It also shows up in spreads about men or women who are very high maintenance, they’ll require a lot of work and effort to win over or need to much. This is also my your annoying card, your frustrating me card and your stressing me out card as well lol.

I definitely see excessive work, emotional or physical--but is this the seeker's choice? Does she need to step back and re-evaluate? I also see the burden as actually BLOCKING the Seeker's vision--in the RW deck, the man's head is down, and so he can't see forward, but the wands are also blocking his vision. So is your burden preventing you from seeing the big picture? Are you so consumed with the weight of your burden that you can't even see where you're headed?

Guest libra

I have a deck that has the 10 of Wands being a woman carrying her child, and this has added an element of asking myself what burdens I carry are simply to precious to put down! As well as looking at what my hopes are for this burden - often when we overload ourselves, there's a reason, something that you want to achieve. Going back to more RWS imagery, someone carrying 10 big sticks is most likely looking to build something, right? So even though I used to look at this more as a card song me to assess what burdens I could put down, I now kind of see it more as a reminder to look at why I do the things I do, why I chose the burdens I carry and look to the future that I hope to achieve through seeing it through to the end. 

JohnLetter
4 hours ago, Halcyon said:

So...what do you all think of the 10 of wands reversed? How does that resonate with you?

all problems being pushed off? Make something easier?

Just now, JohnLetter said:

all problems being pushed off? Make something easier?

as in the querant DOING something to make it easier? or as in ignoring problems?

JohnLetter
23 minutes ago, Halcyon said:

as in the querant DOING something to make it easier? or as in ignoring problems?

Somehow these problems go away by themselves or resolve them is easy (for some reason). It's in every case better than normal 10ow (in most cases). Also it can be about give up something. 

Edited by JohnLetter

Nordica De Spell

10 of Wands can be all the things mentioned.

To add to it, it can also be someone whom refuses to delegate, or someone whom has taken on too many passions in an unorganized way. Often, at least with the classic RWS image, I tend to read it as that moment right before the break-through. It feels like the finish line is around the next corner, and if the guy just pushes himself beyond what he can barely bear anymore, his aim and endeavour will see completion. It can pertain to an athlete, or putting together IKEA furniture, or carrying home your groceries by foot, haha. Just go that extra mile.

But I think that the deck matters, and the position matters, and the question matters. If you want a million dollar business, this card as the outcome one might tell you that it won’t happen, or that it will, but you’ll have zero time to enjoy it because you’ll be working around the clock. But, if it’s the first card of a series auspicious cards, it might be telling you that it will be a nearly inhuman effort, but push through.

It can be a card of bravery, a sea captain facing the storm, and everyone working until they’re on their stomachs on deck... but as the clouds clear, and the mast broke, but they made it because they worked for it beyond their normal capacity.

Etc.

Edited by Nordica De Spell

Nordica De Spell
5 hours ago, Halcyon said:

So...what do you all think of the 10 of wands reversed? How does that resonate with you?

This as well, can be many things.

The way I tend to read reversals, my main interpretation would be someone whom really has taken on too much, and fallen under the burden. 

It can also be about shying the work that belongs to you, and instead letting other people carry the burden. 

Etc.

Grizabella

Wands are associated with passion, creativity, emotional fire, etc. but by the time the relationship gets to the 10, it could mean that something you were once really enthused about is now a drudge and burdens you with more than you bargained for.  It might be thought of as "the honeymoon is over" in certain circumstances.  Time to take a break and regroup.

Edited by Grizabella

Yes as @Grizabella  says it's the end of the suit & the fervent energy of the wands has burnt out in the many passions, the melee's & sieges.  His arms are huge but the bundle tells us he's a witless peasant -- someone in that big house in the background is getting fat on all the profits while out man does all the work.  In a microcosmic sense this card represents empire building.

@Nordica De Spell like the workshy interpretation of reverse...i never thought of that .

and @JohnLetter mmm not sure about that.  10/wands is energy in the re-flux, he's burnt out; while Tower is pure surging energy of the moment, whether it be destructive, or rapid transformation, or spiritually generated power.  In my opinion the nearest to the Tower in this suit is the Ace of Wands (but still very different) 

On 4/24/2019 at 5:20 AM, Diana said:

I’m really struggling with interpreting the 10 of wands. My first deck was the Thoth deck and I never felt it was an overly great card to receive. My feelings for it were almost obsessive in a ‘bunny boiler’ Glenn Close/Fatal Attraction kind of way. Looking for/ assuming things that weren’t there to begin with, oppressive delusion (especially in a relationship spread), and taking on way more than you were capable of (being taken advantage of), being used. I’ve noticed a lot of readers perceive this card differently, positively in a way, and now that I’m using the RW deck, the card feels more ‘downtrodden’ by the weight of responsibilities, than anything. I would love to hear what others think/ feel about this card.

A very heavy feeling is what I associate with 10 of wands.  There is a struggle associated with this card for me.  Were you feeling weighed down by something when you picked this card?

With great power there must also come great responsibility (Stan Lee in the"Spiderman" comics). Take some time to reflect then on what you're about to embark on. Great responsibility is also tiring sometimes. If one is only using the energy of the Wands/Batons things may get tough. So temper them with another energy - preferably not Fire !! (Water and/or Air should do the trick.)

Edited by Marigold

The Ten of Wands can also be a victorious card.  You have made it to the end of a difficult journey.  Despite being weary and overloaded, you have completed your task and now you are home.  You can lay your burden down.   

It can also mean you're making whatever the issue is worse because you're not doing it in the correct way to accomplish what you want.The RWS card shows the guy carrying the w using bad body mechanics.  He's not going to go the distance he needs to go because he's holding the wands in such an awkward manner that it's putting an awful strain on his back. I've always tended to make things much harder than they really need to be, so I can see myself in the card.

It could also mean "quit while you're ahead." 

All good interpretations of the card! I can also see it as being the card of reaching a point where a "passion" becomes a chore.

Edited by 2curious

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.