Starlight

Sharing a cool feature I discovered

I've just discovered this and I'm sharing it in case it's new to anyone else. 🙂

If you want to quote part of someone's post in your reply to a thread, you can highlight the relevant text, and then a small dialog box opens beside the highlighted text - "Quote selection". Click on the dialog box and the highlighted text appears in a quote box with the name of the OP.

Even easier than it was on the old forum. 🙂

1 hour ago, Starlight said:

Even easier than it was on the old forum.

Very useful! Thanks for sharing. :classic_smile:

Posted (edited)

The quoting is so clever on the forum software, good find @Starlight :thumbsup: It seems to you can select any text on any post and it comes up.

Also we can multi quote multiple posts by pressing + on posts but a wonderful thing for reading feedback, you can separate the quote! Quote the reading post and then in the input box go under where you want to write feedback and press enter twice and then write your feedback under the top box and you can keep separating text. It's so well done! I presume on the mobile version you just add line spaces in with the phone keyboard, but as long as you do two breaks after a passage of text it will turn into two boxes, each linked to the original poster 🙂 You can drag the boxes around with the + in the left hand corner and order it however you want ❤️

Edited by DanielJUK

Posted (edited)

What I want to know (and will test later) is if you can use this wonderful new feature AS WELL as the multiquote one. I must go test this one on the dragon forum !

OK it works there too 🙂 VERY useful !

Edited by gregory

1 hour ago, DanielJUK said:

I presume on the mobile version you just add line spaces in with the phone keyboard, but as long as you do two breaks after a passage of text it will turn into two boxes, each linked to the original poster

Thanks @Starlight, that’s a real neat function.

If I understand you correctly, @DanielJUK, then no, that doesn’t work on my phone. It doesn’t become separated quoteboxes when I separate the text in the quote by pressing enter (many times.) It just ends up being lots of empty space within the quotebox. But maybe I’m doing it wrong? 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

The quoting is so clever on the forum software, good find @Starlight :thumbsup: It seems to you can select any text on any post and it comes up.

Also we can multi quote multiple posts by pressing + on posts but a wonderful thing for reading feedback, you can separate the quote!

My text here... 

Quote the reading post and then in the input box go under where you want to write feedback and press enter twice and then write your feedback under the top box and you can keep separating text. It's so well done! I presume on the mobile version you just add line spaces in with the phone keyboard, but as long as you do two breaks after a passage of text it will turn into two boxes, each linked to the original poster 🙂 You can drag the boxes around with the + in the left hand corner and order it however you want ❤️

It took me while to get this to work. I had to hit Enter inside the quote, then click outside the quote, and then come back in and hit Enter again before it split it into two boxes. Just hitting enter twice without leaving the quote didn't work for me (on a desktop). But I love this feature.  I'm glad you mentioned it, because I would never have realized! 🙂

Edited by Rose Lalonde

5 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

Also we can multi quote multiple posts by pressing + on posts but a wonderful thing for reading feedback, you can separate the quote! Quote the reading post and then in the input box go under where you want to write feedback and press enter twice and then write your feedback under the top box and you can keep separating text. It's so well done! I presume on the mobile version you just add line spaces in with the phone keyboard, but as long as you do two breaks after a passage of text it will turn into two boxes, each linked to the original poster 🙂 You can drag the boxes around with the + in the left hand corner and order it however you want ❤️

That IS very handy! Thanks for that, @DanielJUK. I've just tried  @Rose Lalonde's mobile tweak with one Enter, exit the quote box, back in and a second Enter and it worked great on my phone! 🙂 Thank you both!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Rose Lalonde said:

My text here... 

It took me while to get this to work. I had to hit Enter inside the quote, then click outside the quote, and then come back in and hit Enter again before it split it into two boxes.

Yay! That works! (On my phone.)

Thanks Rose Lalonde!

Just hitting enter twice without leaving the quote didn't work for me (on a desktop). But I love this feature.  I'm glad you mentioned it, because I would never have realized! 🙂

Edited by Nordica De Spell

Posted (edited)

Just hitting enter twice without leaving the quote didn't work for me (on a desktop). But I love this feature.  I'm glad you mentioned it, because I would never have realized! 🙂

But it does seem to work with what used to be called carriage return , when hit a couple of times (desktop, too. The 567834548_Image1.png.cf6cc85a0ba449e99d5c5b077b884d81.png key.

I don't even have to go outside the quote; it breaks for me all by itself !

Edited by gregory

I've just noticed today (of course when doing feedback! 🙂 ) that I can no longer split up quote boxes? the enter no longer works?

is it working for anyone else or is it just my browser I wonder?

2 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

I've just noticed today (of course when doing feedback! 🙂 ) that I can no longer split up quote boxes? the enter no longer works?

Seem to be working for me

2 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

I’m on my phone right now, using the safari browser but I can go check on my PC too. Be right back! 

6 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

Hmm... OK, so now I am on my PC and you are right, its not working.... I am using google chrome. That is so odd! 

I think we need to call in the big guns here. Calling @Saturn Celeste  @Little Fang  Please help us out! I can split up quote boxes fine from my phone but for both me and Dan it has stopped working on the PC. 

@DanielJUK What browser are you using? 

thanks Raggydoll for taking the time to test it out :heart:

I am using Firefox on desktop, so we can say that 2 main desktop browsers have this but it's fine on mobile.

I tried your method on mobile of clicking outside and back but it didn't work.

Glad I posted about it, I was worried it was just my problem. I am sure there is a solution when they have the time in their timezones 🙂

I will select parts of posts of text for my feedback for now, there is a work around but at least we know this is going on.

I noticed the other day splitting the quotes no longer worked but this is something I don’t know how to fix. 😞 

3 minutes ago, Saturn Celeste said:

I noticed the other day splitting the quotes no longer worked but this is something I don’t know how to fix. 😞 

Hopefully Little Fang knows!

11 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

thanks Raggydoll for taking the time to test it out :heart:

I am using Firefox on desktop, so we can say that 2 main desktop browsers have this but it's fine on mobile.

I tried your method on mobile of clicking outside and back but it didn't work.

Glad I posted about it, I was worried it was just my problem. I am sure there is a solution when they have the time in their timezones 🙂

Wait it just worked!! I am still on my PC and now it is working?!! Is that you @Saturn Celeste working some sort of magic in the back?

11 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

I will select parts of posts of text for my feedback for now, there is a work around but at least we know this is going on.

What I had to do was to press enter until there was enough room. Then I clicked outside of the box. And then I clicked right where I wanted to split it, and pressed enter again - and it worked. I am not sure if I am explaining it correctly. But I had to do it in steps. When I pressed enter multiple times it just gave me even more space inside of the quote but wouldn't break it off. So I had to click outside of that frame and back again. And then it worked when I pressed enter a second time. Weird!

Update: Just tried it a couple more times and it worked every time, but I had to do exactly like I wrote above.  So, please let me know if this works for you too @DanielJUK

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

What I had to do was to press enter until there was enough room. Then I clicked outside of the box. And then I clicked right where I wanted to split it, and pressed enter again - and it worked. I am not sure if I am explaining it correctly. But I had to do it in steps. When I pressed enter multiple times it just gave me even more space inside of the quote but wouldn't break it off. So I had to click outside of that frame and back again. And then it worked when I pressed enter a second time. Weird!

Update: Just tried it a couple more times and it worked every time, but I had to do exactly like I wrote above.  So, please let me know if this works for you too @DanielJUK

it's working for me again with the double enter, no need to click on desktop! just suddenly started working

what magic is this @Saturn Celeste? 😂 thanks I think somehow it has solved itself :dancing-cat:

edited to add: I think that is a great tip Raggy about making the space and putting the cursor where you want to split the post. you need two lines and a line in the middle with the cursor and then pressing enter will make it split! that seems to be it. you can do this by clicking outside or enter twice as long as you have the cursor in space in the post.

I am not sure this was just technique though, I spent about 10 mins on my feedback post, pressing enter over and over, I am sure it was not working somehow but working fine now :thumbsup:

Edited by DanielJUK

3 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

it's working for me again with the double enter, no need to click on desktop! just suddenly started working

what magic is this @Saturn Celeste? 😂 thanks I think somehow it has solved itself :dancing-cat:

edited to add: I think that is a great tip Raggy about making the space and putting the cursor where you want to split the post. you need two lines and a line in the middle with the cursor and then pressing enter will make it split! that seems to be it. you can do this by clicking outside or enter twice as long as you have the cursor in space in the post

:stick_amok:Yayy!!! Who ever did the magic - it is working!! (It was probably saturn, she creates magic even when she's not actively trying :heart:

it's working really well but I have one post on my journal which just will not line break in the text! I am thinking that it's just an oddity. I will work around it now and paste parts in.

It seems to be about 95% working now :thumbsup: