KaiNO

Top 50 Essential Tarot Decks Discussion

Some of them I’m contemplating selling though, so I will say that clearly this list is not a fair representation of what decks I find to be essential  🙂

Posted (edited)

Well they aren't all tarot as far as I can see - some oracles and Lenormands as well.  So discount those 8as "not tarot at all"  🙂

I - HAVE 21

- HAD 9 - gone somewhere or other

- NEVER HAD - 12

PW :classic_smile:

Edited by PathWalker

Yes, let's play fast and loose with the term "essential"...

Anyway, I have five. 10% isn't so bad, I suppose:

RWS

Thoth

Minchiate

Hermetic

New Vision

Although I don't have the CBD TdM, I have plenty of those. I'm unsure what makes Ben-Dov's unique other than its commercial draw.

out of 13K members I don't think many participated to get those kind of results...as is true for any online group, most are dabblers and gawkers 🙂 

I've had 21 of them

from that list I have 

Thoth

Minchiate

Grand Etteilla and all three in my top five favorites, plus

Druidcraft

Enchanted.  

Guest Night Shade

I have four of them:

Waite-Smith

Gilded

Lo Scarabeo

Hanson-Roberts

I think the designation of "essential" is unique to each individual, however.  

I think that I have 3. But what really bothers me is that it's supposed to be a poll about tarot decks and they have Lenormand and Psycards in there. It doesn't keep the content relevant.

It was also some years since this was done.  I think it's time to do it again

50 'essential' ones?? 😄

Still, out of the first group of 21, I currently own 14 and used to own 2 more - several of those 21 would be up for sale though, if/when I get around to selling decks again.

Then none of the next few groups (I have several Marseille decks, but not the CBD); out of the 'experimental' group I have the Voyager.

And finally, from 'our picks' I own four, have one on my wish list (sort of), and used to own one.

It all sounds pretty random, as most of those kinds of lists are.

I'm sure there is at least one person here who has all the actual *tarot* decks on that list though! 😉

I've had only three of these ever and have given two of them away. Now I only have one on the list! Obviously, this is not the "essentials" list for me!

Four! And I was surprised it was that many, honestly. The decks listed there are, um. Very much not to my taste, for the most part!

I’ve got 22 and there are a few I’ve had before and sent on their way. There’s also a lot on that list I have no desire to own whatsoever!

It’s a bit of an odd list...I’d love to know the rationale behind the choices. 

I have only 4 decks of this list and 4 other decks that I don’t have anymore, so a total of 8.

Posted (edited)

I currently have 9

Had an additional 6 that I have since traded or sold

Never had 29 of them

Then again, I do not agree with that list 😝

Edited by Jewel

I have 7 from that list:

RWS

Deviant Moon

Gilded

Tarot Illuminati

Housewives

Aquarian

Revelations

I also have the app for Zircus Magi

I was surprised to see the Housewives tarot on there, it's fun and kitschy but doesn't seem as serious as many of the others.

I like lists, but I agree including non-tarot decks make it less useful, and it's definitely time for an update. I wonder if there was a way to make a list here, somehow?

Interesting list, but seems like the results of a popularity contest rather than "essentials."

I think the list would be more interesting if it defined ESSENTIAL.

Essential for a collection? Essential for a serious student? Essential for a professional reader?

For the serious student, no where near 50 decks would be "essential."

I have 14-15 of them including the CBD which I was just about to order.

@Little Fang I agree, we should do our own poll and see what comes up as TT&M's recommendation of essential Tarot decks.  We could do a separate one for other Oracles, I went "huh?" when I saw the oracles and Lenormand decks listed on the essentials list, especially since Froud's Faeries Oracle did not even make that list 😜

I think it would be very interesting and helpful to have a thread where members discuss which decks they rate as "essential" and WHY.

Essential should mean something more than, for example, I love petunias, therefore the petunia tarot is essential to me.

We have plenty of "favorite" threads so I would suggest that there isn't much point in doing our own "essentials" poll if it just for everyone vote to their favorite.