What Is Your 'Go To' Spread?

TarotbyKatMoon

TarotbyKatMoon

I'm curious what everyone's go to spread is: whether you read Oracle, Kipper, Tarot, etc. Do you prefer long spread or short to the point spreads? Or do you use a spread or do you keep pulling cards until you get a feeling to stop? 

Comment and let us know! 🙂

When I do a reading I usually go for 5 card spread. 

1) Situation

2) Challenge

3) Advice

4) Unknown Influences ( For love readings I use two cards, one represents the querent and the second is about an unknown influence that is affecting the relationship on their partner's side)

5) Outcome ( For love readings I sometimes pull 3 cards, one to represent the relationship as a whole, the outcome for the querent and an outcome for their partner. It helps you figure out if the relationship is balance, if one person is benefitting from the relationship than the other or if someone is getting played)

TarotbyKatMoon
3 hours ago, Vanno317 said:

1) Situation

2) Challenge

3) Advice

4) Unknown Influences ( For love readings I use two cards, one represents the querent and the second is about an unknown influence that is affecting the relationship on their partner's side)

5) Outcome ( For love readings I sometimes pull 3 cards, one to represent the relationship as a whole, the outcome for the querent and an outcome for their partner. It helps you figure out if the relationship is balance, if one person is benefitting from the relationship than the other or if someone is getting played)

Oh wow! I can't imagine how draining doing a 5 card spread every time you do readings is.  

@PurplePixie03 My readings almost always contain 5+ cards. I read intuitively so it’s not draining in the sense that I would have to write up or analyze traditional meanings - because the message usually flows through me. But intuitive readings are draining due to their very nature of channeling information. So any intuitive reading will feel draining and I don’t think the amount of cards make much difference there. The length of my sessions tend to be the same no matter, I just dive deeper into a smaller spread. Regarding favorite spreads, I will say that I design most of my spreads on the spot, for each reading, as to make them as relevant and potent as possible. 

stephanelli

I find it very much depends on what I'm asking and whether it's for me or someone else and where my intuition points me.  I have a few spreads I like to use but other times I just draw some cards (usually no more than 5) and see where it takes me.

fire cat pickles
7 minutes ago, stephanelli said:

I find it very much depends on what I'm asking and whether it's for me or someone else and where my intuition points me.  I have a few spreads I like to use but other times I just draw some cards (usually no more than 5) and see where it takes me.

I'm the same here. I'll do three cards with no spread, with general questions. For specific, more involved situations that I want more details with I will do a Celtic Cross. It's what I learned on and it's my go-to spread. I usually will not do a CC on someone else. This is a personal choice spread I use for only me.

TarotbyKatMoon

@stephanelli and @fire cat pickles That's really cool that you don't really use a spread in your readings! How do you know when you've pulled enough cards? Is it always 3 cards? 

I personally I feel when I do readings that a spread helps people relate to what I'm telling them. 

MoonScooter

I used to always go to the celtic cross spread before I really started learning how to read tarot (I would use the guide book and really only do readings for my family/close friends or myself). But now as I am learning more and exploring different spreads I've been doing a lot more 3 or 4 card spreads, depending on the question being asked. Although I have found that I don't like assigning each card a "position" but rather like reading them as a whole.

TarotbyKatMoon
4 minutes ago, MoonScooter said:

I used to always go to the celtic cross spread before I really started learning how to read tarot (I would use the guide book and really only do readings for my family/close friends or myself). But now as I am learning more and exploring different spreads I've been doing a lot more 3 or 4 card spreads, depending on the question being asked. Although I have found that I don't like assigning each card a "position" but rather like reading them as a whole.

That a cool way to look at it! I hear that spread is very popular, but it's always so much information for me. 

stephanelli
13 minutes ago, PurplePixie03 said:

@stephanelli and @fire cat pickles That's really cool that you don't really use a spread in your readings! How do you know when you've pulled enough cards? Is it always 3 cards? 

I personally I feel when I do readings that a spread helps people relate to what I'm telling them. 

I just get a feeling that I've pulled enough.  Often I'll think before hand about how many cards I want.  If its a simple matter then usually 3 are plenty, but more complicated things something take 5, or more.  I can't really explain it.  I just feel like then is the time to stop.  Just like when knowing how to stop shuffling.

fire cat pickles
43 minutes ago, PurplePixie03 said:

I use elemental dignities, so three is the perfect number for me. Any more than that confuses me.

14 hours ago, PurplePixie03 said:

Oh wow! I can't imagine how draining doing a 5 card spread every time you do readings is.  

lol. it's not draining. I usually get drained by the 3rd reading.

I usually stick to simple ones, especially since I don't use positional spreads, the card positions don't have a question. It's more of a narrative approach. I use to be all about 3 card spreads with added cards above and below, like the Croix spread. Then there was a time when I was all about the square of 9, which is 3 cards in 3 rows. Lately, I'm all about the 3 cards with added cards that read in between the lines, making a diamond shape above and below. Basically, 3 cards, then 2 cards below, then 1 card below the two. The same thing above. And I see this at looking in between the lines of the main theme carried by the 3 cards in the center. Above is what is above, what is seen, below are the undercurrents. 

I also like to add the occasional, maybe once every several months, astrological houses spread. This one is nice because it kind of lets you see what coming up much later in the year as the seasons change. 

Currently my go to spread is Situation, Advice, and Outcome. 
When a love reading I'll add 2 cards for the 2 people involved's feelings about the other person. 

I prefer positional spreads but I tend to eyeball them for a "gestalt" impression first before I deconstruct them into positional meanings. This allows the "high points" to immediately take center stage in the reading, and I build the rest of the narrative around that. It's not so much intuitive as observational. I have a fondness for the Celtic Cross after using it for so many decades, but now I will create a unique positional spread when I have a particular topic I want to explore. I have well over a hundred of them now, most of which are 5+ cards.

I also use Elemental Dignities, and any spread that breaks down easily into logical triplets works well for that (not, unfortunately, the Celtic Cross).

Edited by Barleywine

I tend to almost always go for a 3 cards spread, there is something that to me is like a balance and I feel most of the times it's enough. Depending on the question of course

I am fairly new to tarot. When I read for myself I like to explore different spreads. When I read for others I almost always do a 3 card spread. 

My go to spread is a 5 card spread:

First card (center): part of the outcome

Second card on the side of the outcome: Influence.

Third card on the other side of the outcome: Influence.

Fourth card, on top of the outcome: other half of the outcome.

Last card - Diagonal -Advice from the Ancestors

Have you guys ever used the WTF spread? I use this one a lot it gives clear advice. I will do this one if my friends have a specific problem. It always seems straight to the point. My last one I did for myself gave me a right telling off.

I've been away from Tarot for awhile, and currently only read with oracle decks (& the occasional Lenormand or Kipper). My go-to spread is 3 cards:

1 - What I need to know about the situation

2 - What is in motion at the present time

3 - How can I stay in alignment (with my highest good)?

If I remember correctly, the spread was taught to me by Colette Baron-Reid in some workshop or other. But it works very well for me!

I generally ask short questions; so a 3 card spread will do. Sometimes I interpret them as past-present-future, but sometimes I dont, it's up to how I intuitively feel I have to. But my method of choosing cards are picking those that fall off the deck when I shuffle it, and if more than 3 fall off, I read all of them.

On 5/17/2019 at 5:24 AM, Vanno317 said:

1) Situation

2) Challenge

3) Advice

Love THIS simple spread

situation challenge advice

On 9/2/2019 at 8:01 AM, Asher said:

I've been away from Tarot for awhile, and currently only read with oracle decks (& the occasional Lenormand or Kipper). My go-to spread is 3 cards:

1 - What I need to know about the situation

2 - What is in motion at the present time

3 - How can I stay in alignment (with my highest good)?

If I remember correctly, the spread was taught to me by Colette Baron-Reid in some workshop or other. But it works very well for me!

What do you mean by : with my highest good?

Ă—
Ă—

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.