RavenOfSummer

Herbs In Your Garden

RavenOfSummer

I'm so excited because I have my first real garden this year. We live in an apartment in the city, so until this year I've only been growing indoor windowsill herbs. But this year, we got lucky in the lottery for a plot in our local community garden. It is so exciting!!! Now we have some veggies going and, of course, my favorite, herbs.

One thing we are growing this year that I've never grown before is calendula! Our first calendula flower just opened and I'm in love 😍

What herbs are you growing this year, indoors or out? Also interested of course in any magical or medicinal ways you are using your herbs, and in your kitchen witchery!

IMG_7045.JPG

Vanno317

I just started a small garden in my porch about two weeks ago. I live in Florida, I'm worried that a rabbit or deer might eat them. So far I've planted roma tomatoes, lettuce, green onion , red and white strawberries. I never knew they had white strawberries that taste like pineapples. I can't wait for them to bear fruit!😊

Nordica De Spell

Congratulations!  🤗

(I’m so happy the plot of land went to someone whom truly longed for it)

🌱 🌱

RavenOfSummer
14 minutes ago, Vanno317 said:

I just started a small garden in my porch about two weeks ago. I live in Florida, I'm worried that a rabbit or deer might eat them. So far I've planted roma tomatoes, lettuce, green onion , red and white strawberries. I never knew they had white strawberries that taste like pineapples. I can't wait for them to bear fruit!😊

Ooh, I have seen pictures of those white strawberries! That is so cool you're growing them!! Please do share some pics when they fruit, @Vanno317 😊 And good luck with the critters. I've heard some people say they plant extra to share with this animals...which I suppose works as long as they don't leave you with nothing!! I've also heard that planting basil and marigolds around the perimeter of a garden can help to deter critters- they don't like the pungent smell apparently,

RavenOfSummer
2 minutes ago, Nordica De Spell said:

Congratulations!  🤗

(I’m so happy the plot of land went to someone whom truly longed for it)

🌱 🌱

Thank you so much, @Nordica De Spell!! 💕 Yes, I literally cried tears of happiness when I got the news. This garden runs in 5-year cycles, so now that I'm in I have my plot for 5 years. I'm on waiting lists for a couple of other community gardens, so hopefully by that time I'll have another plot lined up. But for now I'm just so happy I have a garden 😊

Nordica De Spell

This is a heart-warming story, and I’ll very gladly follow this thread!! 

Will you please, over time, share pictures of the flowers and herbs and other plantlife as you grow them in your garden, it would be a delight to see them (only if you want to, of course.)

You know, sometimes miracles happen. I have a friend whom had wanted a plot of gardening land for a long time, but at 20 000 dollars a piece, she couldn’t afford it. Then she and her husband, by an amazing chain of events, was offered a plot for 5000 dollars. It was a lot for them, and the plot wasn’t in good condition. But on they went, placed their savings in it, and worked really hard at their dream come true. Two years on, her husband has built a wonderfully charming little summer house whose like I’ve never seen. He did it with his own two hands, and is small but fully functional. Around it is a lovely garden, and many well-organized crates with all sorts of vegetables and herbs. It’s a dream in summer, when they have with them a children’s pool for their kids, and live there for weeks at a time. It’s within the city, but a pure oasis. Nowadays and with how they’ve transformed it, they vacation at a place worth around a 100 000 dollars. They produce so much to eat, they don’t have to buy much food for those months. It’s what they grew from those 5000 dollars; just something that’s payed off big time, and continues to pay off, financially, bodily, spiritually, emotionally. The whole place feels as divine as a heaven on Earth. They work so hard on it, and they wanted it so much, and they went through some horrid hardships in life before, I couldn’t emphasize enough how much they deserve this great good fortune bestowed on them now. It really went to the exact right people!

And with your post, it was immediately evident, that so did the lottery plot! It really really was for you! It is your turn!

And I’ll pray for you that you’ll have a garden 6 and 7 years from now as well... Simply that you’ll have a garden for as long as you like! 🐰🌷

RavenOfSummer
21 minutes ago, Nordica De Spell said:

This is a heart-warming story, and I’ll very gladly follow this thread!! 

Will you please, over time, share pictures of the flowers and herbs and other plantlife as you grow them in your garden, it would be a delight to see them (only if you want to, of course.)

You know, sometimes miracles happen. I have a friend whom had wanted a plot of gardening land for a long time, but at 20 000 dollars a piece, she couldn’t afford it. Then she and her husband, by an amazing chain of events, was offered a plot for 5000 dollars. It was a lot for them, and the plot wasn’t in good condition. But on they went, placed their savings in it, and worked really hard at their dream come true. Two years on, her husband has built a wonderfully charming little summer house whose like I’ve never seen. He did it with his own two hands, and is small but fully functional. Around it is a lovely garden, and many well-organized crates with all sorts of vegetables and herbs. It’s a dream in summer, when they have with them a children’s pool for their kids, and live there for weeks at a time. It’s within the city, but a pure oasis. Nowadays and with how they’ve transformed it, they vacation at a place worth around a 100 000 dollars. They produce so much to eat, they don’t have to buy much food for those months. It’s what they grew from those 5000 dollars; just something that’s payed off big time, and continues to pay off, financially, bodily, spiritually, emotionally. The whole place feels as divine as a heaven on Earth. They work so hard on it, and they wanted it so much, and they went through some horrid hardships in life before, I couldn’t emphasize enough how much they deserve this great good fortune bestowed on them now. It really went to the exact right people!

And with your post, it was immediately evident, that so did the lottery plot! It really really was for you! It is your turn!

And I’ll pray for you that you’ll have a garden 6 and 7 years from now as well... Simply that you’ll have a garden for as long as you like! 🐰🌷

I most certainly will continue to share, @Nordica De Spell! Thanks so much for your kind wishes 😍

And thank you for sharing the WONDERFUL story about your friend. That warms my heart so deeply to hear. They truly worked to make their dreams come true 💖 What an inspiration!

Moonshadow

What a lovely thread to stumble upon 🌱🍀🌺🍁🍇

It is a dream of mine to own enough land to create a self sustaining food forest *sigh...one day 🌞

LoveLightPeace

I love Calendula! I have been growing it for the past 6 years or so. It's great for healing salves / balms!

Other herbs in my garden (off the top of my head):

Dill 

Rosemary

Basil - lettuce leaf and purple

Sage

Oregano

Thyme

French Tarragon

Mints - Chocolate, peppermint, spearmint

Comfrey (bocking 14)

Lavender - Munstead and Pink

Rue

Vervain

Bee Balm - red and lavender

Sagebrush

Mugwort

Wormwood

Yarrow - Moondust and pink

Echinacea

Pyrethrum Daisy

Chamomile

I'm sure that I have forgotten some. After I have finished planting I will take a few pictures to share. 

Love this thread @RavenOfSummer Congrats on your first garden, how exciting! :egyptian:So glad that you've shared this with us. :classic_biggrin:

RavenOfSummer
On 6/8/2019 at 12:34 AM, Moonshadow said:

What a lovely thread to stumble upon 🌱🍀🌺🍁🍇

It is a dream of mine to own enough land to create a self sustaining food forest *sigh...one day 🌞

Ahh, that sounds SO lovely, @Moonshadow :heart: Definitely something to aspire to 🌱

On 6/8/2019 at 10:24 AM, LoveLightPeace said:

I love Calendula! I have been growing it for the past 6 years or so. It's great for healing salves / balms!

Other herbs in my garden (off the top of my head):

Dill 

Rosemary

Basil - lettuce leaf and purple

Sage

Oregano

Thyme

French Tarragon

Mints - Chocolate, peppermint, spearmint

Comfrey (bocking 14)

Lavender - Munstead and Pink

Rue

Vervain

Bee Balm - red and lavender

Sagebrush

Mugwort

Wormwood

Yarrow - Moondust and pink

Echinacea

Pyrethrum Daisy

Chamomile

I'm sure that I have forgotten some. After I have finished planting I will take a few pictures to share. 

Love this thread @RavenOfSummer Congrats on your first garden, how exciting! :egyptian:So glad that you've shared this with us. :classic_biggrin:

What a wonderful list of herbs, @LoveLightPeace!! If you feel like sharing pics of your garden I would love to see them, I'm sure it is beautiful! Ahh, I really need to grow some vervain! I feel that is one of my spirit plants- I took vervain tincture for a while and it is so good for anxiety. Such a magical plant! How do you use your mugwort and wormwood? I have a mugwort smudge stick, a gift from my husband's friend, also very magical. Oh, and how do you use your rue? I thought about picking some up at a local plant sale this year but was afraid I was running out of space in our garden!

I've been adding plants here and there to my garden, so let me think if I can now name all the herbs we have off the top of my head...

Calendula

Echinacea

Thyme (English and Lemon)

Basil (Sweet Italian, Purple, and small-leaf varieties)

Yarrow (hasn't flowered yet so I'm eagerly awaiting to see what color it will be!)

Pineapple sage

Lemon verbena

Lemon balm

Rosemary

Marjoram

Mint (Chocolate, Orange, and Spearmint varieties)

Bee balm

Lavender

Dill

Cilantro

Chives

I THINK that's it for the herbs...then we have dwarf sunflowers and marigolds, which I don't usually see considered as herbs, then our veggies. So fun! I just had a kale salad for dinner, with kale from the garden 😀

Here's a bee with our bee balm from earlier this evening!

IMG_7484.thumb.JPG.ec3bca2e15025354050ae60c0af98cc0.JPG

Edited by RavenOfSummer

rixis

I have a small window sill garden but it makes me happy because at my old apartment it was hard to grow anything besides my aloe. So now I have the same aloe, two basils, a snake plant, cliantro, and I did have some long lettuce. I've been trying to get dill to grow from those herb packets but...it doesn't want to a lot of the time 😧

Recently I've begun using herbs to dress white candles for my moon rituals. I want to try making a broom of herbs, but I'll have to buy them cause my plants are still smol.

Moonshadow

💖💜💚 

JustPeachy

I have 3 rosemary bushes in my front flowerbed. I love that they stay green year round. Occasionally, I pick up a 2lb. bag of garlic cloves from Sam's Club and roast them, so this last time I used the rosemary with it. It certainly ups the roasted garlic game! I share with my farmer friend. She give me fresh hen eggs. It's wonderful. I plant basil every year but I have some oregano and parsley that overwinters. I also need to sprinkle some Dill seed out for my cucumbers so I can make some pickles. 

Lee3

Gardening is one of my big passions , one of my latest additions to the herbs I grow is marshmallow I planted last year who has just started to fully find his place in my garden and slowly make his presence known. 

Fennel that I planted from seed a few years ago comes back stronger every year and I have just sown some arnica for the first time so I’ll see how this one goes . 

JustPeachy
17 minutes ago, Lee3 said:

I have just sown some arnica for the first time so I’ll see how this one goes . 

@Lee3 Arnica makes a wonderful salve. What Grow Zone are you in?

Edited by JustPeachy

Lee3

I’m in uk not sure of the zones but I do have winter protection and some things I grow in my greenhouse most of the year if for nothing other than protection from random heavy downpours that crush the more delicate plants 

RavenOfSummer

Love hearing about everyone's herbs!! @rixis, I very much empathize- I live in an apartment and have tried to do a lot of growing indoors, but it was hard to be successful with much. I was lucky to get a community garden plot in this year's lottery! My indoor plants are now mostly succulents which seem to do well- aloe, jade, bear paws, haworthia, and a few others.

@JustPeachy, I LOVE rosemary! Someone in our community garden has a HUGE rosemary plant that seems to have been going strong for at least a couple of years now. I first saw in very early spring and like you said- it was green! It must be so cheering to be able to look at that even through the winter. I will have to try roasting garlic with rosemary!

@Lee3, I bet that marshmallow is beautiful! I am growing okra from seed, which is in the same family, and can't wait until it flowers. I recently saw this post on how to make marshmallows the candy the original way, out of actual marshmallow. May be fun to try!

LoveLightPeace
On 6/10/2019 at 8:42 PM, RavenOfSummer said:

Ahh, that sounds SO lovely, @Moonshadow :heart: Definitely something to aspire to 🌱

What a wonderful list of herbs, @LoveLightPeace!! If you feel like sharing pics of your garden I would love to see them, I'm sure it is beautiful! Ahh, I really need to grow some vervain! I feel that is one of my spirit plants- I took vervain tincture for a while and it is so good for anxiety. Such a magical plant! How do you use your mugwort and wormwood? I have a mugwort smudge stick, a gift from my husband's friend, also very magical. Oh, and how do you use your rue? I thought about picking some up at a local plant sale this year but was afraid I was running out of space in our garden!

Hi @RavenOfSummer! :heart:Thank you! So sorry for taking so long to reply.

I use my Mugwort, Wormwood and Rue mainly for their protective properties. A few times I have used Rue for cleansing by adding it to floor wash (made a tea with it and added to the wash water). Sometimes I'll add them to herbal incense blends, an herbal salt bath, sachets to tuck into places in the house. Sometimes I bunch a handful together, wrap it with cotton twine and hang it on the wall right outside the main entry door. 

I tried Mugwort tea once. It was pretty bitter so I didn't drink much of it. It is said to aid with visions during trance states, astral travel and lucid dreaming, but I didn't drink enough of it for it to have an affect.

Do you like the Mugwort smudge stick? If so, I think I'll try that this year. 🙂

On 6/10/2019 at 8:42 PM, RavenOfSummer said:

I've been adding plants here and there to my garden, so let me think if I can now name all the herbs we have off the top of my head...

Calendula

Echinacea

Thyme (English and Lemon)

Basil (Sweet Italian, Purple, and small-leaf varieties)

Yarrow (hasn't flowered yet so I'm eagerly awaiting to see what color it will be!)

Pineapple sage

Lemon verbena

Lemon balm

Rosemary

Marjoram

Mint (Chocolate, Orange, and Spearmint varieties)

Bee balm

Lavender

Dill

Cilantro

Chives

I THINK that's it for the herbs...then we have dwarf sunflowers and marigolds, which I don't usually see considered as herbs, then our veggies. So fun! I just had a kale salad for dinner, with kale from the garden 😀

Here's a bee with our bee balm from earlier this evening!

IMG_7484.thumb.JPG.ec3bca2e15025354050ae60c0af98cc0.JPG

I LOVE your picture! 😍 My beebalm hasn't started flowering yet. You have such a nice selection in your garden. I bet your Kale salad was divine!  

Pineapple sage is wonderful (I grew it last year). I brushed it with my hand every time I walked past it just so I could smell it. 🙂

My Rue is just starting to flower

890915374_20190622_150221(1).jpg.2024c29289d84a1edd0020b82c66ce66.jpg

Daisy

120122632_20190622_150228(1).jpg.cb291dd382d89792b1db210c3846b8b3.jpg

This is my 'island bed'. It has Munstead and Pink Lavender's, Rosemary, Tarragon. 

2109498880_20190608_153329(1).jpg.6b483e6483b0eaeca530a8112143a79c.jpg

This is my 30 foot by 6 foot herb bed. There are strawberries, violets, echinacea, comfrey, sage, rue, mugwort, yarrows, wormwood, sagebrush, chives, and some others that I can't think of right now. I'll get some decent pics of the herbs in this bed after I finish weeding it.

823870650_20190608_152918(1).jpg.4fbac53f5646117a0e3502c6424b5cde.jpg

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your gardening adventures as the growing season progresses, and seeing more pictures of your lovely garden RavenOfSummer! :animated-smileys-hug-002:

RavenOfSummer
2 hours ago, LoveLightPeace said:

Hi @RavenOfSummer! :heart:Thank you! So sorry for taking so long to reply.

I use my Mugwort, Wormwood and Rue mainly for their protective properties. A few times I have used Rue for cleansing by adding it to floor wash (made a tea with it and added to the wash water). Sometimes I'll add them to herbal incense blends, an herbal salt bath, sachets to tuck into places in the house. Sometimes I bunch a handful together, wrap it with cotton twine and hang it on the wall right outside the main entry door. 

I tried Mugwort tea once. It was pretty bitter so I didn't drink much of it. It is said to aid with visions during trance states, astral travel and lucid dreaming, but I didn't drink enough of it for it to have an affect.

Do you like the Mugwort smudge stick? If so, I think I'll try that this year. 🙂

I LOVE your picture! 😍 My beebalm hasn't started flowering yet. You have such a nice selection in your garden. I bet your Kale salad was divine!  

Pineapple sage is wonderful (I grew it last year). I brushed it with my hand every time I walked past it just so I could smell it. 🙂

My Rue is just starting to flower

890915374_20190622_150221(1).jpg.2024c29289d84a1edd0020b82c66ce66.jpg

Daisy

120122632_20190622_150228(1).jpg.cb291dd382d89792b1db210c3846b8b3.jpg

This is my 'island bed'. It has Munstead and Pink Lavender's, Rosemary, Tarragon. 

2109498880_20190608_153329(1).jpg.6b483e6483b0eaeca530a8112143a79c.jpg

This is my 30 foot by 6 foot herb bed. There are strawberries, violets, echinacea, comfrey, sage, rue, mugwort, yarrows, wormwood, sagebrush, chives, and some others that I can't think of right now. I'll get some decent pics of the herbs in this bed after I finish weeding it.

823870650_20190608_152918(1).jpg.4fbac53f5646117a0e3502c6424b5cde.jpg

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your gardening adventures as the growing season progresses, and seeing more pictures of your lovely garden RavenOfSummer! :animated-smileys-hug-002:

@LoveLightPeace, I LOVE hearing about your garden and seeing pictures! I mostly use the mugwort smudge when I'm wanting to draw out magical before/during a ritual and I think it's perfect for that. (Related- I have a TON of pineapple sage, and I just happened upon the idea of making pineapple sage smudge sticks! I think I'm going to try it!) I haven't taken tried mugwort tea even though I'm interested in its shamanic properties. I've heard it's very bitter!! I actually drink a lot of catnip tea (it's good for both anxiety and digestion, both of which I need help with, and it's become one of my closest plant allies) which can be quite bitter, but I think mugwort is probably much more bitter. I've gotten used to the taste of catnip to the point where I now enjoy it...but not sure how I'd do with the mugwort! I will have to try it sometime. Your description and pictures of the rue are making me think I should have bought some this year when I had a chance at a local plant sale! But there's always next year 🙂

The thing I'm most excited about in our garden right now is we are getting sunflowers!! Here is our very first sunflower, which opened earlier this week: \\

IMG_7668.thumb.JPG.b379049bb80b14a2fc9696a86526f624.JPG

And here is our second, which opened on Thursday:

IMG_7753.thumb.JPG.94d132fa5ff45c6255090689693aed9f.JPG

Also, I think these purple basil flowers are so beautiful!!!

IMG_7683.thumb.JPG.289c8d529bc6c2cef47f377e9a17341c.JPG

We harvested a bunch of pineapple sage this evening, and like I said I think I'm going to try making a smudge bundle with it- we have tons of it! Harvested some lettuce and Swiss chard as well 🙂

PLEASE keep sharing your garden updates and pics, @LoveLightPeace!

Nordica De Spell

I haven’t heard of pineapple sage before!

What beautiful sunflowers!! 🌻 🌻

Happy gardening! 🤗

RavenOfSummer

It's a new season of herbs and gardening! Does anyone have any herbs growing or plans for their herb garden this year?

We've moved into a new plot at our community garden- nicer because the whole plot gets more sun than the plot we had last year. We were lucky to inherit this beautiful big rosemary bush from previous gardeners! I am in love with it! I always loved this plant even before and now we get to care for it 💚

IMG_2107.thumb.JPG.911ef7b011c649032da2ffe309d59aeb.JPG

We moved over some thyme, lemon balm, and a smaller rosemary from last year's plot, and put in some new lemon verbena and cilantro plants over the weekend as well as marigolds and a variety of edible greens. We also moved some garlic we planted last year- sadly it doesn't seem to have recovered from the shock of being moved, if the drooping leaves are anything to go by. So I don't know if we'll have garlic bulbs by early summer.

Still, super excited for a new year of gardening 😍 It's also one of the few allowable activities right now, where you can get out and still maintain social distancing!

Grace

@RavenOfSummer and @rixis... how do these window sill gardens work? I would love to grow something, but as I don't even have a balcony I thought that it would be too difficult. Is it literally sitting on your window sill, or some other spot that gets a bit of natural light? What is your set up? 

RavenOfSummer

@Grace I definitely empathize- we live in an apartment in the city and have no outdoor space of our own, not even a balcony. Last year I was lucky enough to get a plot in our local community garden, about two blocks away from our building, and I feel so blessed to have a garden now! The picture I posted may be a bit misleading- it's actually not a window box, those are just some pieces of dried bamboo tied together to make a fence that you can see behind the rosemary.

In terms of growing indoors, I keep some houseplants on two altar that I have sitting right next to windows in my apartment. So I am able to grow some things that way, but mostly plants that don't require a lot of light, so herbs are tough. Basil usually works well for me indoor, and some other herbs can last through the summer but usually don't do great once it gets into the winter months. I'm attaching a pic of some of our indoor plants- all it is is just a little table next to the window 🙂 So you may want to give that a try! Depending on which way your windows are facing, you may be able to grow quite a lot! Some people are able to grow many herbs indoors even through the winter.

Would also love to hear more about @rixis garden! And Grace, keep us posted if you decide to try some plants in your window space!

IMG_2312.thumb.JPG.fe26f04dbb89172ba5aa64e9ea1fe859.JPG

Grace

That is lovely space @RavenOfSummer. It really is tricky working around space and light issues. This is the sum total of my plant situation. 🤣 I've had them for a couple years now, they help to filter the air and add a little green. Most are doing well, but a couple of them are struggling for some unknown reason. Though I really should get around to re-potting them into something prettier than the plastic they came in. I would much prefer to grow herbs, but we only have one strip of windows in prime position where most of the furniture is set against. I considered hanging some pots with herbs in the bathroom when we finish renovating as there is a sky light in there, though it is hard to say how successful that will be. image.thumb.png.949754baea492b247beb19128b5ba5db.png