RavenOfSummer

Your All-time Favorite Tv Shows

With some much beloved shows ending this year (NO SPOILERS in this thread please!), it got me to thinking about people's favorite TV shows of all time. What are yours?

I have two- don't make me choose between them! I LOVE Mad Men. I started watching it while I was in grad school in 2008. That is the first show that completely awed me of what television is capable of us a genre. The characters, the costumes, the setting...everything about that show just transported me.

spacer.png

My other all-time favorite is The X-Files. That one goes back to middle school/high school for me. I wanted to be Dana Scully and I wanted Fox Mulder to be my boyfriend. My friends were similarly obsessed...Fox Mulder did funny things to 14-year-old girls. Also I feel like that show brought nerdy/alternative kids together at the time. Even going back and watching the shows again, I feel like the arc and world of the X-Files is so cool, I feel lucky to have gotten into it! And the revival has been cool too, to see those characters again.

spacer.png

So, what are your all-time favorites?

I love the re-runs (of which I've seen about 98% of at least once or twice) of Law & Order.  Yeah, I know---its an old show and only reruns are on shown on tv now.  Thank God we do have one channel that runs this show continually.  The other show that I love and watch often is "The Closer".  Yes, another police show.  I don't know why, but these two shows are my fave ever shows.  I must've been a cop in a previous lifetime.  😁

Other then that, I rarely watch TV, except the news and the occasional documentary--mostly those shown on PBS.  I also love PBS shows---but mostly the documentaries.

Much of my DVD collection are also cop shows or murder mystery type shows.  I have the complete set of Perry Mason--including all his movies.  The complete set of Columbo (both of which I grew up watching), I have Foyles War, Sherlock Holmes, Poirot and Miss Marple - probably not all of them, but most of them.  Also Charlie Chan.  I watch Perry Mason - at least one show - a few times a week.

But, this said--my fave movie on DVD, hands down is The Godfather Trilogy.  But your question was about television shows--so, the above.  😎

1 hour ago, Nordica De Spell said:

To this day I don’t get it why Buffy the Vampire Slayer had to end, like ever. Not that all of the seasons were equally great, but anyway.

Believe it or not, I've never seen Buffy! Although I loved the movie- I especially loved Alan Rickman in it. But I was JUST talking to some huge fans of the show last week, and I think it might be very much up my alley. I will have to check it out sometime soon 😊

1 hour ago, Luna said:

I love the re-runs (of which I've seen about 98% of at least once or twice) of Law & Order.  Yeah, I know---its an old show and only reruns are on shown on tv now.  Thank God we do have one channel that runs this show continually.  The other show that I love and watch often is "The Closer".  Yes, another police show.  I don't know why, but these two shows are my fave ever shows.  I must've been a cop in a previous lifetime.  😁

Other then that, I rarely watch TV, except the news and the occasional documentary--mostly those shown on PBS.  I also love PBS shows---but mostly the documentaries.

Much of my DVD collection are also cop shows or murder mystery type shows.  I have the complete set of Perry Mason--including all his movies.  The complete set of Columbo (both of which I grew up watching), I have Foyles War, Sherlock Holmes, Poirot and Miss Marple - probably not all of them, but most of them.  Also Charlie Chan.  I watch Perry Mason - at least one show - a few times a week.

But, this said--my fave movie on DVD, hands down is The Godfather Trilogy.  But your question was about television shows--so, the above.  😎

I do love Law & Order. For a while they had that same rerun channel at my gym, and I used to time my trips so that I could watch a whole episode while I was biking. Alas they got rid of the channel! Now I just listen to music.

And I LOVE those old mystery shows! I grew up watching Miss Marple, Poirot, and the Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett 😎

We should start another thread about movies 📽️

1 hour ago, Joe said:

For me it will always be The Sopranos.

They got it right with that one.

They really did. 

YES. That's a great one. I was very late to the party- only watched the whole thing a couple of years ago. Fantastic. Also the creator of my favorite show Mad Men was a writer on The Sopranos, so I'm glad he was able to get his start there and go on to making his own show.

LOL. I feel like I’ve seen all of “Law & Order” too. It’s really interesting to connect the episodes with the real-life cases they were based upon.

I never thought that Downton Abbey was for me, but I got hooked so bad. That show is brilliant! Maggie Smith is one of my favorite actors of all time. 

7 hours ago, RavenOfSummer said:

Believe it or not, I've never seen Buffy! Although I loved the movie- I especially loved Alan Rickman in it. But I was JUST talking to some huge fans of the show last week, and I think it might be very much up my alley. I will have to check it out sometime soon 😊

You’re lucky, then! There’s the whole Buffy and spin-off Angel series to look forward to! And they’re so old now, there’s complete series boxes at not too hefty a price (especially second hand.)

Don’t get me going on Alan Rickman! Right now, I’m feeling the whole Buffy series would have made much more sense to me if he’d been cast as Angel. 

*goes off to dream*

My favorite all time show is Kung Fu. I think I was around four when this show came out and Kwai Chang Caine became my hero. I came from a... let' call it passionate, family and seeing someone who could handle things the way he did without anger and judgement, along with the flashbacks to his time in the temple as a child opened my eyes to not only a whole a new world, but a new way of looking at it. I wanted to be his disciple and I can clearly remember when the realization that he wasn't real somewhere sank in. It's funny now, but I was heartbroken.

12 hours ago, RavenOfSummer said:

I do love Law & Order. For a while they had that same rerun channel at my gym, and I used to time my trips so that I could watch a whole episode while I was biking. Alas they got rid of the channel! Now I just listen to music.

And I LOVE those old mystery shows! I grew up watching Miss Marple, Poirot, and the Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett 😎

We should start another thread about movies 📽️

Yes, the Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett were my favorites--but we also have some of the other Sherlock Holmes too.  And, I think David Suchet is the best Poirot ever!  I have always loved mysteries since a kid.  I grew up reading Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys books.  😁  Yeah, a movie thread would be good too! 🙂

Guest Night Shade
5 hours ago, Nordica De Spell said:

Don’t get me going on Alan Rickman! Right now, I’m feeling the whole Buffy series would have made much more sense to me if he’d been cast as Angel.

Ooh - now that would have been awesome!  I do like David Boreanaz too, though.  Maybe they could have been rivals.

10 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I never thought that Downton Abbey was for me, but I got hooked so bad. That show is brilliant! Maggie Smith is one of my favorite actors of all time. 

Ooh, I just saw the trailer for the movie that's coming out!

5 hours ago, Nordica De Spell said:

You’re lucky, then! There’s the whole Buffy and spin-off Angel series to look forward to! And they’re so old now, there’s complete series boxes at not too hefty a price (especially second hand.)

*goes off to dream*

Aww, yes, I love him ❤️

2 hours ago, AnomalyTempest said:

My favorite all time show is Kung Fu. I think I was around four when this show came out and Kwai Chang Caine became my hero. I came from a... let' call it passionate, family and seeing someone who could handle things the way he did without anger and judgement, along with the flashbacks to his time in the temple as a child opened my eyes to not only a whole a new world, but a new way of looking at it. I wanted to be his disciple and I can clearly remember when the realization that he wasn't real somewhere sank in. It's funny now, but I was heartbroken.

That is so sweet, AnomalyTempest! It sounds like it really had an impact on you. I haven't seen it but your description makes me want to check it out.

27 minutes ago, Luna said:

Yes, the Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett were my favorites--but we also have some of the other Sherlock Holmes too.  And, I think David Suchet is the best Poirot ever!  I have always loved mysteries since a kid.  I grew up reading Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys books.  😁  Yeah, a movie thread would be good too! 🙂

Completely agreed on David Suchet!

9 minutes ago, RavenOfSummer said:

Completely agreed on David Suchet!

I know I have mentioned it before but Agatha Christie has been one of my favorite authors when I grew up, and I used to own every single one of her books (now I own about 90% of her titles). And David Suchet is a real favorite for me. So much that... promise not to laugh, but here is a snapshot from one of my art journals from back in the day. This sketch is over ten years old. (I cropped it to remove my signature). It’s made with graphite and charcoal. I have always loved to render wrinkles ❤️ 

(And I apologize for going off topic, but I couldn’t help myself 😁)

4CF719CC-05F8-4A86-84E1-B48CFC9A14CD.jpeg

Guest Night Shade

Hands down, The Twilight Zone, I love Lucy, and Lost.

36 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

I know I have mentioned it before but Agatha Christie has been one of my favorite authors when I grew up, and I used to own every single one of her books (now I own about 90% of her titles). And David Suchet is a real favorite for me. So much that... promise not to laugh, but here is a snapshot from one of my art journals from back in the day. This sketch is over ten years old. (I cropped it to remove my signature). It’s made with graphite and charcoal. I have always loved to render wrinkles ❤️ 

(And I apologize for going off topic, but I couldn’t help myself 😁)

@Raggydoll, this is incredible!!!!! A stunning recreation of Suchet as Poirot. I know I've said it before, but you are so wonderfully talented. Thank you for sharing this with us!

29 minutes ago, Night Shade said:

Hands down, The Twilight Zone, I love Lucy, and Lost.

Now these are THREE shows I haven't seen! Well I've seen bits and pieces of I Love Lucy, but I don't think a full episode ever? The Twilight Zone, am I right in thinking there is a reboot as well as the original which I believe first starting airing in the 60s? And Lost, I've heard a couple people say they thought the first few seasons were amazing and the rest of the show less so. Do you agree or do you love the whole show?

Just now, Raggydoll said:

OMG!  I never watched those shows but I know Poirot when I see him!  Raggydoll, you are so incredibly talented!