Define Psychic.

modern oracle

modern oracle

Hi Friends,

I have been involved in a few discussions lately about what exactly it means to be psychic.. turns out it is a difficult term to define. 

I know for some, being psychic is something to be proud of and utilized at all times. For others being psychic sparks fear because of personal conditioning or religious beliefs. And for some it is a term avoided all together, no matter what their ability, in order to dodge criticism and ridicule in the modern materialistic world.

I am interested to know your thoughts on how you personally define the word PSYCHIC

Many thanks 🙂

DownUnderNZer

I think opinions, religion and judgement have nothing to do with the term at all.  It is the reactions towards it you seem to bring up.

Maybe it is just not written in a way  that I'm understanding what you are trying to convey.

There is no mystery to what the word Psychic means at all. It is just the ability to see, hear or pick up things without tools (E.g  Tarot/Oracle) by feeling, seeing and/or hearing etc. Eg Clairvoyance/Clairsentient.

That's it really.

DND

I tend to agree with @DownUnderNZer here. The word psychic usually refer to the clair  senses. Some say there are 5 clairs, other mention 8. This is an excellent source for reading up on the definition: 8 Clair senses (pdf)

And it’s what I have in mind when i use the term ‘psychic’, as I recognize my own abilities in those that are described. During my life I have experienced 6 or 7 of those clairs mentioned. Calling myself psychic has still not been an easy process, mainly because of my own shadow feelings regarding psychic hotlines and certain public figures/tv shows. It helped tremendously that others recognized these abilities in me and called them for what they were. That made me more comfortable to step out of the psychic closet, so to speak 😊

Nordica De Spell

I’d agree that the word psychic has already been defined, in a vocabulary sense.

I’d agree with you, @modern oracle, that the vocabulary definition isn’t widely known or used, when we speak of the broader population.

Instead, being psychic or psychic abilities themselves, are looked upon according to the person looking at it; and those whom are going by the vocabulary definition and/or personal experience of the phenomenas, are just added to that mixture of opinions on what it is.

I’m not saying that it’s right, just that it’s ”how the world works” with stuff like this. 

I’d imagine that on this forum, there’s bound to be a lot more people whom actually know the vocabulary term and have studied about the phenomena or even have first-hand experience what it means, than a group of randomly selected people would have.

Personally, I’d think that psychic abilities have to do with (involuntary or voluntary) channeling through a few parts of the phenomena dimension, channels that can transport intel on and knowledge about that which cannot be easily known to us otherwise. 

But in the end, to me, those whom are experiencing psychic phenomena have each to make their own definitions, and have the right of way to do so. 

This is because, vocabulary term or not, it’s not exactly a woodworking tool or a shirt we’re talking about...

Instead, it’s about something that the dictionary (or us humans, mainly) cannot capture more than a fraction of.

So, of course (to me,) those with actual experience are better equipped to know what it is.

theholysticvagabond

From a podcast, I've heard that psychic was kind of "practiced intuition". I think it is an interesting way to see it, even though I also think that "psychic" can be more than that. 

I've realised by hearing different people describing this term, we all have different answers to it.

10 hours ago, katrinka said:

When everybody says something different, there's still something to fall back on. 😄

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/psychic

Lol. Very true.

The issue with the term psychic is that the current definition owes more to popularised usage than the term itself.

The older — and more correct definition — relates to pertaining to (ic) the soul (psyche, the soul). So it’s communication on that level. 

Edited by Guest

30 minutes ago, leroidetrèfle said:

The older — and more correct definition — relates to pertaining to (ic) the soul (psyche, the soul). So it’s communication on that level.

Yes, communication with or through a higher, transcendent dimension of ordering seems to be the gist of how most theories deal with psychic activity. This is true of both the traditional World Soul concept and more modern ideas pertaining to theoretical fields, implicate orders and such. Myself, I prefer the older terminology - it feels more gutsy, personal and organic/creaturley.

Edited by devin

@DownUnderNZer is totally right there is a fear of using the term in modern times and this is a great talking point @modern oracle to bring up! :thumbsup:

Some people say that all divination is a psychic act, by using cards or other tools we are inherently psychic but other people run from that term. I have seen psychics and mediums says that everyone is psychic, like it's a 6th sense we all have. I know in the last few years that people will replace psychic with intuitive, this feels like a safer term. I am guilty of this myself, I get intuitive feelings or read the art intuitively but I don't see myself as psychic! Well really I am confused by it, the term scares me, it seems to be such a BIG term. It used to be a term like Katrinka posted where it's just listening to a realm outside of science and knowledge and a spiritual force. But with that definition, is practising a religion a psychic act?

How we identity with being psychic or not I think comes down to your belief in how the cards work. Do the answers come from you, from spirits or angels or demons, from gods or goddesses, from the universe? No one really knows. I think by using divination we are all psychic, actually I think everyone does have a psychic ability and divining uses your psychic skills, even flexes them and improves them. But I do feel uncomfortable with that term and I think I see it as a big loaded term because of those psychics and mediums who talk to the dead with big audiences and the famous frauds throughout history. I don't think I get messages from the dead, I know people do and we all have different belief systems. But I do get messages in my divination that come from somewhere. I get messages in the readings and also I sometimes get clairaudient and visual symbols, inspired by the cards I am looking at. They give me informations that I don't know about the person, it doesn't scare me but it comes from somewhere outside of myself. It's something I am always trying to get more understanding and connect with better, I am a beginner in my journey through my subconscious really.

I think the term psychic has had a negative connotation in the last few decades, it's interesting to look at any online place offering readings, some readers offer a "psychic reading", others do not. I think psychic in that connotation is linked to mediumship and that is perhaps just a different strand of the area to what we do in divination, Using tarot cards is a psychic act but it's not a mediumship act (unless you believe you are connecting directly with the dead in your belief system). No one really knows the definition of being psychic anymore apart from the people who make money from using it and it's really messy now. I think I am going to try and reclaim it and not run from it in future 🙂 As a reader I am both intuitive and psychic.

1 hour ago, DanielJUK said:

I think I am going to try and reclaim it and not run from it in future 🙂 As a reader I am both intuitive and psychic.

That’s great, @DanielJUK. Nobody should feel reluctant to use the term if they so desire. 

You do make an astute point, too.  A lot is different definition/expectations.

When I worked on the psychic lines in the ’90s the term medium and clairvoyant were used interchangeably. The service preferred clairvoyant. 

I avoided the terms for that reason — people might expect something else.  

Also I don’t like putting a name on what I see. During palm reading one can often see things that clients will say can only come from X or Y in the spirit world. But it isn’t something I feel comfortable attributing. 

Edited by Guest