This Is The All-singing, All-dancing Tarot Enabling Thread!

FLizarraga

The Rana is a perfectly functional deck. :)

I have the original size Mildred. That's the mini, isn't it? No need to make it bigger, they're single image cards.
Dear Mildred purposely made it small so it could be concealed from the staff at Fenwood. :evil:

Edited by katrinka

WizardintheWoods

I love my Mildred Payne decks, I have her Secret Pocket Oracle and the Dark Enchantment decks but… I would go with Maybe Lenormand. Once you have a good grasp of Lenormand you could add the addition cards making a Bohemian deck for fun if you like. 

I personally prefer the mini sized original deck of Mildred. I do agree with @katrinka that Mildred does leave you with plenty of guessing room but that might be the fun of the deck, I have found reading with it to be much less specific then Lenormand though.  All this said I do enjoy working with her, it is my down time from Cartomancy studies deck if that makes sense. 

4 hours ago, WizardintheWoods said:

I love my Mildred Payne decks, I have her Secret Pocket Oracle and the Dark Enchantment decks but… I would go with Maybe Lenormand. Once you have a good grasp of Lenormand you could add the addition cards making a Bohemian deck for fun if you like. 

I personally prefer the mini sized original deck of Mildred. I do agree with @katrinka that Mildred does leave you with plenty of guessing room but that might be the fun of the deck, I have found reading with it to be much less specific then Lenormand though.  All this said I do enjoy working with her, it is my down time from Cartomancy studies deck if that makes sense. 

I’ve been thinking this recently, too 🙂 Thank you!!

I think maybe each of them are in my future, but there is something appealing to just kind of “expanding” on the Lenormand system.

WizardintheWoods

@vulprix I have not been brave enough to expand on the system yet but I do like knowing one day I can. Enjoy no matter which you choose 😊

I have Mildred’s Pocket Deck Seance Edition (the blue one and it’s the smaller, original size) and I adore it. It goes in my travel kit with the Halloween tarot in a tin and Tim Burton playing cards. It’s a pretty blunt and to the point with me. It’s definitely an oracle deck, not Lenormand, so less structured and more intuitive. But it’s creepy cute and I love having an oracle deck that’s small. If you are specifically looking for Lenormand, then this isn’t it. Good luck. 

I just recently purchased the Ethereal Visions Illuminated Tarot after eyeing it for a while. I’m a sucker for art nouveau and inspired illustrations, add in the shiny gold foiling and I was sold! Only downside is that it’s a little wider than I’m used to. But I’m sure I’ll adjust with how much I plan on using it!

3 minutes ago, Rayenae said:

I just recently purchased the Ethereal Visions Illuminated Tarot after eyeing it for a while. I’m a sucker for art nouveau and inspired illustrations, add in the shiny gold foiling and I was sold! Only downside is that it’s a little wider than I’m used to. But I’m sure I’ll adjust with how much I plan on using it!

Sounds lovely! I hope it becomes a favorite 😀

Figured I'd also ask here and not just in de-enabling:

I can't get any of these decks any time soon (unless someone in my family decides to be generous with Christmas) but I'm still really curious about these: Anima Mundi, Anieth Nature, and the Oak, Ash, & Thorn Tarot.

1 hour ago, euripides said:

I don't know if I should be asking for de-enabling or enabling on this one... I'm supposed to be decluttering but I'm a sucker for colored pencil, and this is *gorgeous*. Does anyone have it?

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/770279550/herbcrafters-tarot-cards-guidebook-set?ref=shop_home_recs_13&crt=1

I have it and really enjoy it! It’s very well thought out. It also reads well. There is just one minor thing that has made me less inclined to use it freely in readings for others. It has a court card that is centered around vaginal steam baths (!). So the artwork and the guidebook reflects this topic. I believe it is meant to inspire confidence and I seem to remember that the guidebook encourages you to “speak from between your legs”. 😊 For me, that limits it’s use in readings for others. I’d still use it for people that I know would be fine with it though 😄

49 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

There is just one minor thing that has made me less inclined to use it freely in readings for others. It has a court card that is centered around vaginal steam baths (!). So the artwork and the guidebook reflects this topic. I believe it is meant to inspire confidence ...

That's pretty de-enabling lol. It rather makes me distrust the deck as a whole, as that practice is questionable at best - very Gwenyth Paltrow.

18 minutes ago, euripides said:

That's pretty de-enabling lol. It rather makes me distrust the deck as a whole, as that practice is questionable at best - very Gwenyth Paltrow.

It is supposedly a native practice! I do agree with you and I find it very questionable as a practice, but I can’t comment on the culture. Here’s the card - Adelita of Air. (All the courts are renamed, but i am sure you’ve seen that already)

E1074CA1-876B-4712-9585-5C4380936A14.thumb.jpeg.afa9de5a38977408ee0ec34a8e0dcd91.jpeg

11 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

It is supposedly a native practice! I do agree with you and I find it very questionable as a practice, but I can’t comment on the culture. Here’s the card - Adelita of Air. (All the courts are renamed, but i am sure you’ve seen that already)

Thanks for the page. I'm thinking the deck's systems/culture might not be a good fit for me personally, overall, from some of those comments. I'm very glad I asked and you brought this up, as I think I'd have been quite frustrated with it. I mean one doesn't have to be bound by the text, but I think these divergent decks generally do need some reading into their system.

Ah, I looked it up: Joanna Powell Colbert, creator of the Gaian, is one of the creators. Should have recognized that technique. The Gaian is absolutely stunning and so full of wisdom, I love it. I may even end up getting this one and using it as a companion deck, and just reading the images with my own  herbal knowledge.... and realistically there looks to be a wealth of knowledge there from cultures I'm not acquainted with, so maybe I need to get over myself 🙂

Added bonus: the deck is coming to Fool's Dog.

Edited by euripides

5 hours ago, euripides said:

Thanks for the page. I'm thinking the deck's systems/culture might not be a good fit for me personally, overall, from some of those comments. I'm very glad I asked and you brought this up, as I think I'd have been quite frustrated with it. I mean one doesn't have to be bound by the text, but I think these divergent decks generally do need some reading into their system.

Ah, I looked it up: Joanna Powell Colbert, creator of the Gaian, is one of the creators. Should have recognized that technique. The Gaian is absolutely stunning and so full of wisdom, I love it. I may even end up getting this one and using it as a companion deck, and just reading the images with my own  herbal knowledge.... and realistically there looks to be a wealth of knowledge there from cultures I'm not acquainted with, so maybe I need to get over myself 🙂

Added bonus: the deck is coming to Fool's Dog.

Well I find that it is a really insightful deck, and the way it’s built up - going from the herbs that are the easiest to learn (the aces being weeds) up to the more complex plants. The plant lore is very thorough, and the art is stunning. They have cacao as the Hierophant- one of my absolute favorite cards! So I mean it when I say that it’s one of my all time favorite decks! The one time when I actually drew that dreaded card for myself (I had not seen it before and was genuinely stumped that I had missed that card after using the deck for so long … 😄) it turned out to represent the need to be confident in my decisions/words. 

On 9/10/2021 at 12:09 AM, dust said:

Figured I'd also ask here and not just in de-enabling:

I can't get any of these decks any time soon (unless someone in my family decides to be generous with Christmas) but I'm still really curious about these: Anima Mundi, Anieth Nature, and the Oak, Ash, & Thorn Tarot.

I only just saw your post in the de-enabling thread, not sure where I want to put this tho, in the enabling or the de-enabling 😄 

I have the Anima Mundi and the Oak,Ash&Thorn. I like the Anima Mundi a lot. I love the matte linen cardstock. I like how the artist chose the animals and what they represent, I do have to use the guidbook tho sometimes to read up on the specific animal/plant. I find it very readable. Mind you, I find the number cards in the minor arcana are at times very close to the Pagan Otherworld deck. There is actually one human, The Devil. I'm in two minds about that - on the one hand, it makes me think that it's cool cause there is no devil for animals but it is a human construct, on the other hand I kinda wish the artist had stuck with the non-human imagery of the deck for continuity. 
I got the Oak, Ash & Thorn when it came up on kickstarter, mainly because it was a project in the UK and meant less shipping cost for a change. It is cute, lovely artwork, but with a few cards I feel I don't get them. It's not that much a reading deck for me, lovely as it is. But I'm sure it works for other people.

sorry, I'm aware that did probably not help you much 🙂 

legendaryelement

I know it is too late to get delivery before Halloween this year, but could I get some help on the

Ghost Tarot by Davide Corsi

il_fullxfull.986973230_qvc6.jpg

Or is there another (more recent publication date) that I should consider/compare?

TheFeeLion

I need some from all you lovely people! I'm looking to get one deck to celebrate getting a new job but... I. Just. Can't. Decide! Please help! 

Ethereal Visions

The Cheimonette

The Arcana Tarot

Cosmos Tarot and Oracle

The Bottanical Deck

Dreamkeepers Tarot

Dark Wood Tarot

Maybe I should put this in the de-enabling thread too 🤔 gotta narrow it down somehow... 

8 minutes ago, TheFeeLion said:

I need some from all you lovely people! I'm looking to get one deck to celebrate getting a new job but... I. Just. Can't. Decide! Please help! 

Ethereal Visions

The Cheimonette

The Arcana Tarot

Cosmos Tarot and Oracle

The Bottanical Deck

Dreamkeepers Tarot

Dark Wood Tarot

Maybe I should put this in the de-enabling thread too 🤔 gotta narrow it down somehow... 

Congratulations! Hmm I'd say it depends a lot on what you already have and your personal taste. Like the Dark Wood isn't my taste at all, though it's beautiful and a lovely example of art in that style. Ones I could enable a little on:  The Dreamkeepers is gorgeous and would perhaps be my pick if you enjoy vintage photography and surrealism. I don't normally go for hard-edged abstracted art much, but the colours in the Bottanical deck are stunning. It'd be a nice companion deck and is something a bit different.  The Cosmos looks really beautiful - again really gorgeous saturated colours and the concept is super interesting. It looks like there's a range of artists at work here, and that can be nice and contributes to the reading in its own way.

Good luck with your choice!

TheFeeLion

@euripides thanks 😊

Congratulations! Hmm I'd say it depends a lot on what you already have and your personal taste. Like the Dark Wood isn't my taste at all, though it's beautiful and a lovely example of art in that style.

I don't normally go for the darker style decks either but I like the almost Disney approach to it. I think it gives it a lighter and more approachable quality. 

Ones I could enable a little on:  The Dreamkeepers is gorgeous and would perhaps be my pick if you enjoy vintage photography and surrealism.

I love the surrealism of this deck! It reminds me of Boadicea's Tarot of Earthly Delights. I have the app for that one, it's supposed to be made into a physical deck but with COVID I'm not sure if that's ever going to happen now. 

I don't normally go for hard-edged abstracted art much, but the colours in the Bottanical deck are stunning. It'd be a nice companion deck and is something a bit different. 

I don't either but, like you, I love the colours. I also like that it's both a tarot and oracle in one. There's a grand total of 130 cards separated into 10 suits. It covers a LOT of botanical ground (haha excuse the pun!)

The Cosmos looks really beautiful - again really gorgeous saturated colours and the concept is super interesting. It looks like there's a range of artists at work here, and that can be nice and contributes to the reading in its own way.

Yeah it's a different artist for each card if I remember right. Again, beautiful saturated colours with the bonus of the small oracle deck that goes with it. 

Good luck with your choice!

Thanks! 😊

• Ethereal Visions - I have a number of major issues with this, not least the attitude of the artist when some issues were pointed out. I can't recall the details now, but... And - well, there are others in that style. Why that one in particular ?
  • The Cheimonette - the art is very much a "if it's to your taste" thing.
  • The Arcana Tarot - LOVE them.
  • Cosmos Tarot and Oracle - nah. Imagery is too much like adverts. It could be used as margin illustrations in Cosmopolitan....
  • The Bottanical Deck I don't knwon this. I can't remember why I don't, but that says something, I suppose, as I am well known for buying stuff.... Wait - Which One ???
  • Dreamkeepers Tarot - BUY DEES ONE !!!!!
  • Dark Wood Tarot - excellent book; art work OK but not outstanding.

It's easy. The only essential there is Dreamkeepers. Seriously. It stands out in a crowd and then some. I was bowled over when it arrived. I mean - just look..... How different and exciting is that ?

Dreamkeepers.thumb.jpg.bd94f3dc839e7535d8fbc586530aa61d.jpg